Potter! said Snape suddenly. What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?
波特!史納皮突然把哈利叫起來,如果將水仙花球莖的粉末加入苦艾的汁液里,這樣會有什么后果?
Powdered root of what to an infusion of what ? Harry glanced at Ron, who looked as stumped as he was; Hermione's hand had shot into the air.
什么的粉末加入什么的汁里去?哈利偷眼看了一下羅恩,看來羅恩和他一樣茫然,但是荷米思就拼命把手舉得高高的。
I don't know, sir, said Harry.
我不知道,老師。哈利低聲答道
Snape's lips curled into a sneer.
史綱皮努了努嘴,嗤地笑了。
Tut, tut — fame clearly isn't everything.
嘖嘖,看來名氣大也不過如此。
He ignored Hermione's hand.
他完全不理荷米恩舉得高高的手。
Let's try again. Potter, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?
那好,再問你一個問題。如果我要求你去找一塊胃石,那么你會到哪里去著手找?
Hermione stretched her hand as high into the air as it would go without her leaving her seat, but Harry didn't have the faintest idea what a bezoar was.
荷米恩又把她的手舉得盡可能的高,高到她的那只手好像要離開她的身體飛到半空去似的。可是哈利連一點點關于胃石的概念都沒有。
He tried not to look at Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle, who were shaking with laughter.
他竭盡全力不去看馬爾夫、克來伯和高爾,那三個家伙正笑得全身打顫呢。
I don't know, sir.
我不知道,老師。
Thought you wouldn't open a book before coming, eh, Potter? Harry forced himself to keep looking straight into those cold eyes.
難道你上課之前從來不先預習的嗎?啊?波特?哈利竭力使自己面對那雙冷冰冰的眼睛。
He had looked through his books at the Dursleys', but did Snape expect him to remember everything in One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi?
他的確曾經看過一遍課本,可是史納皮該不會要求他只看一遍就把那本《巫術藥草與菌類千例》中的每一個字都記得吧?
Snape was still ignoring Hermione's quivering hand.
史綱皮還是沒理會荷米恩抖動的手。
What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?
草烏和烏頭,它們有些什么不同之處?
At this, Hermione stood up, her hand stretching toward the dungeon ceiling.
這一次,荷米恩站了起來,她的右手都快舉到地牢的頂部了。
I don't know, said Harry quietly. I think Hermione does, though, why don't you try her?
我不知道。哈利低聲說,不過,我想荷米恩是知道的。你干嘛不問問她?
A few people laughed; Harry caught Seamus's eye, and Seamus winked. Snape, however, was not pleased.
一些同學哈哈大笑了起來。哈利瞥了一眼謝默斯,謝默斯則向他眨了眨眼。然而史納皮一點兒都不高興。
Sit down, he snapped at Hermione.
坐下。史納皮瞪著荷米恩,
For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death.
集中注意力,波特,水仙花球莖和苦艾混在一起就成了一種很厲害的安眠藥,人們把它叫做死亡之網。"
A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons.
胃石則是在羊的胃里找到的結石,它是很多種毒藥的克星。
As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite.
而草烏和烏頭,指的是同一種植物,它們都是一種叫附子的植物的俗稱。
Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?
怎樣?你們為什么不把這些知識抄下來?
There was a sudden rummaging for quills and parchment.
地牢里馬上騷動起來,大家都快拿出了羽毛筆和羊皮紙。
Over the noise, Snape said, And a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter.
史綱皮又說:波特你剛才對老師的無禮頂撞,我決定要扣掉你一分。