When everyone had eaten as much as they could, the remains of the food faded from the plates, leaving them sparkling clean as before.
每個人都吃完飯后,殘羹剩菜都自動從盤子里消失了,盤子又變得像開始時那樣光彩奪目.
A moment later the desserts appeared. Blocks of ice cream in every flavor you could think of, apple pies, treacle tarts,
過了一會兒,甜品出現了。你所能想到的各種口味的大塊大塊的雪糕、蘋果餡餅、蜜糖果餅
chocolate eclairs and jam doughnuts, trifle, strawberries, Jell-O, rice pudding.
巧克力棒糕、果醬油炸餅、草莓、咖膽、米飯布丁……應有盡有。
As Harry helped himself to a treacle tart, the talk turned to their families.
哈利拿起一塊蜜糖果餅正吃著的時候,話題轉到了各人的家族上來,
I'm half-and-half, said Seamus. “Me dad's a Muggle. Mom didn't tell him she was a witch ‘til after they were married.
我出身于半魔法家庭,我爸是馬格人,我媽直到結婚時才告訴我爸她是個女魔法師
Bit of a nasty shock for him.”
當時他一定非常驚訝而且很不愉快。
The others laughed.
其他人都哈哈大笑起來。
What about you, Neville? said Ron.
那你呢,尼維爾?羅恩問。
Well, my gran brought me up and she's a witch, said Neville, but the family thought I was all-Muggle for ages.
我外婆把我養大的,她是個魔法師。"尼維爾說,"但我家人長期以來都把我當普通人看待。
My Great Uncle Algie kept trying to catch me off my guard and force some magic out of me,
我的舅公阿吉卻總想把我訓練成魔法師.
he pushed me off the end of Blackpool pier once, I nearly drowned — but nothing happened until I was eight.
有一次,他把我從布萊克浦碼頭推了下去,我差點被淹死了——不過,我八歲前的生活沒有什么特別的。
Great Uncle Algie came round for dinner, and he was hanging me out of an upstairs window by the ankles
八歲那年,阿吉舅公來我家作客,他抓住我的踝關節,把我倒掛在樓上窗戶外面練功,
when my Great Auntie Enid offered him a meringue and he accidentally let go.
安迪妮舅婆遞給他一張甜餅時,他竟一不小心松了手
But I bounced — all the way down the garden and into the road. They were all really pleased, Gran was crying, she was so happy.
但我不僅沒摔死,而且還從花園里一直彈到馬路上,當時外婆見我安然無恙,喜極而泣。
And you should have seen their faces when I got in here — they thought I might not be magic enough to come, you see.
找到這兒的時候你們都應該見到我外婆他們了吧。 雖然我也許還不夠格到這兒來學習
Great Uncle Algie was so pleased he bought me my toad.
但阿吉舅公高興極了,還買了這只癩蛤蟆送給我呢。
On Harry's other side, Percy Weasley and Hermione were talking about lessons
在哈利的對面,伯希·威斯里和荷米恩在談論功課。
I do hope they start right away, there's so much to learn, I'm particularly interested in Transfiguration,
我真希望他們現在就開始努力學習了,要學的東西太多了。我對變形情有獨鐘
you know, turning something into something else, of course, it's supposed to be very difficult
你知道嗎,把東西變來變去可有意思啦。當然,也有一定難度
You'll be starting small, just matches into needles and that sort of thing.
你得逐步積累、穩扎穩打才行喔。
Harry, who was starting to feel warm and sleepy, looked up at the High Table again.
哈利感到了溫暖和倦意,又抬頭看看高臺上的主席臺。
Hagrid was drinking deeply from his goblet. Professor McGonagall was talking to Professor Dumbledore.
哈格力正品嘗著美酒,麥康娜教授正和丹伯多教授交談。
Professor Quirrell, in his absurd turban, was talking to a teacher with greasy black hair, a hooked nose, and sallow skin.
戴著可笑的無邊帽的屈拉教授則正和一位長著油黑的長發、鷹鉤鼻子、土黃膚色的老師說話。
It happened very suddenly. The hook-nosed teacher looked past Quirrell's turban straight into Harry's eyes
一切都來得很突然,那個鉤鼻子老師的目光穿過上屈拉的帽子直射入哈利的雙眼,
and a sharp, hot pain shot across the scar on Harry's forehead.
哈利前額上的傷疤感到一陣火辣的劇痛。
Ouch! Harry clapped a hand to his head.
啊!哈利連忙用手拍拍頭。
What is it?asked Percy.
怎么了?伯希問。
N-nothing.
沒,沒什么。
The pain had gone as quickly as it had come.
那陣劇痛已經稍瞬即逝了
Harder to shake off was the feeling Harry had gotten from the teacher's look — a feeling that he didn't like Harry at all.
只有那從對面老師的眼神中看出的感覺令哈利難以釋懷——他一點都不喜歡哈利。
Who's that teacher talking to Professor Quirrell? he asked Percy.
和屈拉教授說話的那個老師是誰呀?他問伯希。
Oh, you know Quirrell already, do you? No wonder he's looking so nervous, that's Professor Snape.
哦,你已經認識屈拉啦?那是史納皮教授,看來他是緊張過度了。
He teaches Potions, but he doesn't want to — everyone knows he's after Quirrell's job. Knows an awful lot about the Dark Arts, Snape.
他是教藥劑學的,但他不愿讓別人知道。人們都知他想得到屈拉的職位,史納皮對黑巫術有很深入的研究。
Harry watched Snape for a while, but Snape didn't look at him again.
哈利觀察了史納皮很久,但史納皮再沒望他一眼。