‘It's lucky we've found out about your noble blood,Tess.
“苔絲,得知你有高貴的血統是件幸運的事。
Do you know there's a very rich lady called Mrs d’Urberville living on the other side of the wood?
你知道在林子那頭兒有位非常有錢的德伯太太嗎?
She must be our relation.
她準是我們的親戚。
You must go to her and claim relationship with her,and ask for some help in our trouble.’
你應當上她那兒去,說明和她的親戚關系。就說我們處境困難,請求她幫幫忙。”
‘I wouldn't like to do that,’said Tess.
“我不愿做這種事,”苔絲說,
‘If there is such a lady,it would be enough to be friendly.
“如果真有這么一位太太,只要她對我們友善,就足夠了。
We can't expect help from her.’
我們不能指望從她那兒得到幫助。”
‘You could persuade anybody,my dear.
“你能打動任何人,親愛的。
Besides,something else might happen.You never know.
而且,也許會有別的什么你意想不到的事兒發生呢。”
And her mother nodded wisely.
她母親自作聰明地點著頭。
‘I'd rather try to get work,’said Tess sadly.
“我寧愿去找工作。”苔絲傷心地說。
‘What do you say,Durbeyfield?’said his wife,turning to him.
“你認為怎樣,德北?”妻子轉向丈夫,問道。
‘I don't like my children asking for help,’said he proudly.
“我不愿意我的孩子去求別人幫助。”他驕傲地說,
‘I'm the head of the oldest branch of the family and a noble family like ours shouldn't have to ask for help.’
“我是這個家族里最古老的一房的家長,像我們這樣高貴的家庭是不應該求助于人的。”
Tess could not accept his reasons for not going.
他的這些不讓去的理由讓苔絲無法接受。
‘Well,as I killed the horse,mother,I suppose I ought to go.
“好吧,媽,是我害死了馬,我想我該去一趟。
But don't start thinking about her finding a husband for me.
不過別指望她會替我找個丈夫。”
‘Who said I had such an idea?’asked Joan innocently.
“誰說我這么想啦?”瓊顯得很無辜地問道。
‘I know you,mother.But I'll go.’
“我知道你怎么想,媽。不過,我會去的。”