1、suppose
假定;假設;設想
Suppose someone gave you an egg and asked you to describe exactly what was inside.
假設有人給了你一枚雞蛋并要你準確描述雞蛋里面有什么。
Supposing he's right and I do die tomorrow? Maybe I should take out an extra insurance policy.
假設他是對的,我確實明天就會死,那該怎么辦?也許我應該再買一份保險。
(根據所知)認為,推斷,料想
The policy is perfectly clear and I see no reason to suppose that it isn't working.
這項政策非常清楚明了,我沒有理由認為它不會奏效。
I knew very well that the problem was more complex than he supposed.
我很清楚那個問題比他料想的要更復雜。
我看;要我說;我想
I get a bit uptight these days. Hormones, I suppose.
這些天我有點焦躁。我看是荷爾蒙在作怪。
I suppose I'd better do some homework.
我看我最好做做功課。
2、pick up
拿起;提起;拾起;撿起
He picked his cap up from the floor and stuck it back on his head.
他從地板上拾起帽子,重新戴在頭上。
Ridley picked up a pencil and fiddled with it.
里德利拿起一支鉛筆,不停地在手里擺弄著。
(通常指開車)接載,取走
We drove to the airport the next morning to pick up Susan.
我們第二天早晨開車去機場接蘇姍。
She went over to her parents' house to pick up some clean clothes.
她去了趟父母家取些干凈衣服。
逮捕;拘捕
Rawlings had been picked up by police at his office.
羅林斯已在辦公室遭警察拘捕。
The police picked him up within the hour.
警察不到一小時就將他逮捕了。