Script: But it's all for the best.
【要點講解】for the best:最好的結果,向好的結果發展
e.g We must carry on hoping for the best.
我們必須繼續抱最好的希望。
e.g The wary Major thought that all things were for the best.
老謀深算的少校認為一切都在好轉。
e.g Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
往最好處著想, 作最壞的打算。
Script: I was getting ahead of myself.
【要點講解】get ahead of:超過,勝過
e.g You have to get ahead of other competitors.
你必須超越其他參賽者。
e.g Many tried to get ahead of him, but none succeeded.
許多人想超過他,但沒人辦得到。
e.g Only hard work can get you ahead of your competitors.
你只有努力工作才能超過競爭對手。
Script: I mean, uh, she's practically engaged to Archie, right?
【要點講解】be engaged to somebody:與......訂婚
e.g They announced to the assembled guests that they were engaged to be married.
他們向聚會的客人們宣布他們已訂婚。
e.g He'd been in love, engaged to be married, lady broke it off.
他曾愛過一個女子,訂過婚,但那位小姐毀了婚約。
e.g John got engaged to her when traveling last winter.
去年冬天旅行時,約翰與她訂了婚。
Script: What's going on?
【要點講解】go on:發生,進行
e.g While this conversation was going on, I was listening with earnest attention.
這場對話進行的時候,我聚精會神地聽著。
e.g I don't know what's going on.
我不知道發生了什么事。