背景介紹:
green card: [美國英語]綠卡,綠色通行證(無美國國籍的墨西哥或其他外國人在美國境內居住和工作的準許證)
短語講解:
1. help out: 幫助解決難題
eg. So what can anyone do to help out Mom?
那么我們能做什么來幫助這樣的媽媽?
eg. All these presents came to more money than I had, and my mother had to help me out.
所有這些禮物的價錢超過了我所帶的錢,母親只好把錢借給我。
2. dead meat: 死定了,完蛋了
eg. You guys breathe a word of this to anybody, you're dead meat.
你們兩個家伙敢把這事兒透出去一個字,死路一條。
3. not at all: 一點也不
eg. And maybe you listen and drink in moderation or not at all.
也許你聽從建議適量喝酒或者一點都不喝。
4. whip it out: 秀一下
eg. It seems that they need to whip one out to make sure their face is still attached every so often.
看起來她們頻繁地需要拿出鏡子來照照,確保臉上的妝不會花掉。
5. as opposed to: 與……形成對照
eg. Anyone in the advertising industry will tell you that it's more fun tocreate ads for some products as opposed to others.
廣告業的人都知道,為某樣產品作出的廣告能夠打擊到該產品的競爭對手,這是件更有趣的事。
6. go through with: 做完,完成
eg. She said it had been brave of me to go through with the session despite my fear.
她說不要理睬那些恐懼,我完成了整個約會已經那么勇敢。