Dear Avis, we finished packing today,
親愛的Avis,我們今天把東西都打包整理好了
and tomorrow we leave beloved Paris for Marseilles.
而明天我們就要離開親愛的巴黎去馬賽了
Paul has been appointed Cultural Affairs Commissioner for the South of France.
Paul被任命為南法蘭西文化事務部理事
I’m having a hard time pretending to be anything but devastated.
我要難過好長一段時間了
I’m going to go buy some bread.
我要去買點面包
The advantage of Marseilles is that it won’t have the distractions of Paris.
馬賽這個地方的好處在于它不會像巴黎那樣讓人分心
So we’ll be able to finish the book.
所以我們就能寫完這本書了
Although not on deadline.
雖然還是不能按期完成
At least we’re still in France.
但至少我們還在法國
Dear Avis, I don’t know what we’ve done to deserve it
親愛的Avis,我不知道我們所做的事 你會怎么評價
but here we are in Germany.
但是我們現在在德國
Actually in a suburb of Bonn called Plittersdorf on the Rhine,
實際上是在波恩的郊區 在萊茵河畔一個叫Plittersdorf的地方
which sounds much more picturesque than it is.
這名字聽起來比它本身要生動的多
By the way, there is no chance we’ll meet our new deadline.
順便說一下,書的完稿日期又要推遲了
We’ll be at least two more years.
我們還要至少再兩年的時間
Meanwhile, Paul has been called to Washington.
與此同時,Paul又被叫去華盛頓
We have no idea why.
我們真不知道是為什么
Well, they’re going to promote you, finally. They have to.
反正他們肯定是要提拔你了,他們必須得這么做
Well, I don’t know why they have to call me back to Washington to tell me that.
我不知道他們為什么叫我回華盛頓跟我說這個
They could just send a telex. It’d be a lot cheaper.
他們發一封電報就完全可以了 那樣還更便宜呢
Well, they’re going to reassign you, then.
到那時,他們要再次任命你的