count:從鴨子數起
In childhood, we count ducks.
小時侯,我們數鴨子。(不幸的是,經常搞成一三五九十)
In majority, we count money.
長大了,我們數錢。(不幸的是,要么是數不完,要么是還沒數就完了)
When money grows to a certain degree, we go to the bank and open an account, entitling the bank clerks to count money for us.
當錢增長到一定程度,我們去銀行開了帳戶,讓銀行職員幫我們數錢。
It seems obvious that count and account are closely related.
Count與account兩詞實為近親,似乎很明顯。
At times, we visited the bank, requiring the bank clerks to make an account of incomes and expenditures.
時不時的,我們還得拜訪一下銀行,要求銀行職員陳述一下我們的收入和開支情況。
小結:count-數;account-帳戶/陳述
If you give a beggar 5 cents, you don't take it into account.
若你施予一個乞丐五分錢,你不會怎么考慮這筆帳(不會把它記入帳戶)。
If you aim at big, you don't take small into account.
若你目標在于干大事,則不會把小節考慮進來。
小結:take...into account由“把……記入帳戶”引申成“把……考慮進去”
What accounts for the loss of money in the account?
是什么導致了帳戶里的財富縮水?
It accounts for half of the original amount.
它占了原總量的一半。
小結:account for-導致(一般是);占(后跟比率)
design: 簽名很重要,所以要設計
見識一下內含的詞sign:
In terms of economy, GDP has been regarded a significant sign.(significant若忘了請回去復習)
就經濟而言,人們一直將GDP視為一個重要符號(標志)。
The current situation shows no signs of recovery.
眼下的情形未表現出任何復蘇的跡象。
In terms of human beings, signature has been considered by many as an essential sign for their taste. (essential也忘了?跟上面significant在同一個地方講的,回去吧!)
就一個人而言,許多人將簽名視為他們品味的重要標志。
Hence the popularity of signature design.
因此就有了簽名設計之風行(注意:Hence A=因此就有了A,hence領銜的無謂語特殊句型)。
小結:sign, signature, significant實為一家,就讓design也來湊個熱鬧吧。