I drove down the freeway and arrived about 20 minutes later.
我驅車上了高速公路,約二十分鐘后到達那里。
When I got to the club, I walked inside. The bar smelled of old beer, old cigarettes, and old men.
我走進俱樂部。這個酒吧有老啤酒、老雪茄和老男人的味道。
I sat down at the bar and ordered a drink. I was here to speak to Lenny MacKay, an ex-employee of Pardo Computers.
我坐在吧臺點了一杯酒。我來這里是想找帕爾多電腦公司的前員工蘭尼·麥基。
"Excuse me, bartender," I said to the man serving the drinks, "I'm looking for Lenny, Lenny MacKay."
“請問,”我問那個酒保,“我想找蘭尼,蘭尼·麥基。”
"I never heard of Lenny MacKay," he answered very quickly.
“我沒聽過蘭尼·麥基這個人,”他迅速回答。
"You got the wrong place. There ain't no Lenny MacKay working here."
“你找錯地方了。這里沒有蘭尼·麥基。”
I looked into his eyes, and I knew he was lying.
我看著他的眼睛,我知道他在撒謊。
I got up from the bar and walked to the back of the place. There was a door to the left.
我離開吧臺,走向后邊。左邊有一扇門。
The door had a sign on it that said, "DO NOT ENTER." I entered.
門上掛著“禁止進入”,我走了進去。
"Hey!" A man yelled at me as I went into the back room. "Who are you?"
“嘿!”我走進時,一個男人沖我吼道。“你是誰?”
"I'm looking for Lenny MacKay. Are you Lenny?"
“我要找蘭尼·麥基。你是蘭尼么?”
"Yeah, I'm Lenny. Now who are you?" he replied.
“我是。你是誰?“他回答道。
"My name's Reeves. Look, I'm not here to waste your time. I just want to ask you a few questions.
“我的名字叫做里夫斯。聽著,我來不是想浪費時間。我就是想問你幾個問題。
Now, where were you two days ago, at about 8:30 in the morning?"
兩天前的早上八點半左右,你在哪?”
"I was in Las Vegas with my girlfriend. Ask her. She'll tell you that I was with her."
“我和我女朋友在拉斯維加斯。去問她,她會告訴你我和她在一起的。”