Till they surrender.Dear God. Yes, yes.Wilmington's their last open seaport. Therefore
打到他們投降為止 老天 可不是 威爾明頓是他們最后的港口 也就是說
Wilmington falls, Richmond falls after.And the war is done.
拿下威爾明頓 里士滿也手到擒來 戰爭也將隨之結束
Then why, if I may ask,are we not concentrating the nation's attention on Wilmington?
恕我冒昧 那為什么 公眾的視線沒有聚焦在威爾明頓
Why, instead, are we reading in the Herald,
為什么《先驅報》報道的卻是
that the anti-slavery amendment is being precipitated onto the House floor for debate?
我們在促使廢奴主義修正案 提交眾議院進行辯論呢
Because your eagerness,in what seems an unwarranted intrusion of the Executive
你急切的愿望 在我看來就是行政權
into Legislative prerogatives,is compelling it to it's to what's likely to be its premature demise.
對立法權的無理干涉 它很可能會 讓你的計劃胎死腹中
You hear?You signed the Emancipation Proclamation,You're done all that can be expected.
聽到了嗎 《解放黑人奴奴宣言》已經頒布了 你應該心滿意足了
The Emancipation Proclamation merely a war measure.After the war the courts will make a meal of it.
《解放黑人奴奴宣言》只不過是個戰時措施 戰爭一結束法院就會拿它小題大做的
When Edward Bates was Attorney General,he felt confident in it enough to allow you to sign.
愛德華·貝茨當司法部長的時候 對這個宣言可是信心滿滿的
Different lawyers, different opinions.
每個律師都有他自己的想法
It frees slaves as a military exigent, not in any other
宣言只是武裝解放黑奴 并沒有在其它
I don't recall Edward Bates being any too certain about the legality of my Proclamation
我不記得愛德華·貝茨對于 宣言的合法性有多么肯定
just it wasn't downright criminal.Somewhere's in between.
它只不過是不非法而已 還處于一個灰色地帶
Back when I rode the legal circuit in Illinois,
我還在伊利諾伊州當律師的時候
I defended a woman from Metamora named Melissa Goings, 77 years old.
我曾為一個來自梅塔莫拉市的老婦辯護 她叫梅麗莎·格英絲 當時已77歲了
They said she murdered her husband, he was 83.
她被指控殺害了她83歲的丈夫