But if I'm a respecter of states' laws,how then can I legally free 'em with my Proclamation as I done,
但如若我是一名尊崇憲法的人 除了作廢憲法之外
unless I'm cancelling states' laws?
我又如何能合法地以宣言解放他們
I felt the war demanded it.
我認為內戰需要我這么做
my oath demanded it,I felt right with myself, and I hoped it was legal to do it,I'm hoping stilll.
我的職責迫使我這么做 我認為這是正確的 希望能合法達到這一目的 至今都希望如此
Two years ago I proclaimed these people emancipated,Then, thenceforward and forever free.
兩年前我正式宣布解放他們 那么從此永遠地解放了
But let's say the courts decide I had no authority to do it.They might well decide that.
但法庭判決我無此權力 也許他們做出了正確的裁決
Say there's no amendment abolishing slavery.
假設并未修訂廢奴修正案
Say it's after the war,and I can no longer use my war powers to just ignore the courts' decisions,like I sometimes felt I had to do.
假設戰后 我將不能再通過 有時不得不使用的開戰權 忽視法庭判決
Might those people I freed be ordered back into slavery?
那么我解放的人民會被重新奴役嗎
That's why I'd like to get the Thirteenth Amendment through the House,
因此我想要眾議院 通過第13號修正案
and on its way to ratification by the states,wrap the whole slavery thing up,
借此得到國家的認可 一勞永逸
forever and aye, as soon as I'm able.
盡我所能地解決奴隸制的余孽
Now! End of this month! And I'd like you to stand behind me,like my cabinet's most always done.
本月末 我想要你們對我做出支持 做出內閣應有的支持
As the preacher said, I could write shorter sermons but once I start I get too lazy to stop.
牧師說 我可以少些布道言說 但我一提筆 就無法停下