What can be more gratifying than such a retrospect as this?
有什么能比如此的回顧更讓人心悅?
We look back on obstacles avoided and dangers overcome,
我們看到以往的障礙已被避免,危險被克服。
on expectations more than realized and prosperity perfectly secured.
看到期望不僅僅被實現,繁榮也完全得以保證。
To the hopes of the hostile,the fears of the timid,
對于敵人的妄想,懦夫的懼怕,
and the doubts of the anxious actual experience has given the conclusive reply.
和慮者的疑惑事實經歷已作出完滿的答復。
We have seen time gradually dispel every unfavorable foreboding ,
我們已看到時間逐漸排除每一個不利的預兆。
and our Constitution surmount every adverse circumstance dreaded at the outset as beyond control.
并且,我們的憲法克服了那些在當初被認為是我們所無能為力而畏懼的每一個不利處境。
Present excitement will at all times magnify present dangers,
當前的興奮將在任何時候增大當前的危險。
but true philosophy must teach us that none more threatening than the past can remain to be overcome;
但真正的哲理一定會告訴我們,沒有比以往更有威脅性的仍要去克服;
and we ought (for we have just reason)to entertain an abiding confidence in the stability of our institutions and an entire conviction that if administered in the true from,
并且我們應該保持對我們的機構的堅定信心,并深信只要以其創建時的真正形式,
character,and spirit in which they were established they are abundantly adequate to preserve to us,and our children the rich blessings already derived from them,
特點和精神來管理,它們將完全足夠為我們,和我們的兒女保證那以往由它們所帶來的豐富祝福。
to make our beloved land for a thousand generations that spot where happiness springs from a perfect equality of political rights.
并把我們可愛的土地變成因完全平等政治權利而充滿幸福的之處而持續千秋萬代。
For myself,therefore,I desire to declare that the principle that will govern me in the high duty to which my country calls me is a strict adherence to the letter,and spirit of the Constitution as it was designed by those who framed it.
而我自己,我想宣布,那些將在我的祖國召喚我的這崇高職責上指導我的原則,必須嚴格依照,如同其構造者所設想的憲法的文字和精神。
Looking back to it as a sacred instrument carefully and not easily framed;
我們回頭把它看作一個仔細而艱難構造的神圣工具。
remembering that it was throughout a work of concession and compromise;
牢記它經過一個讓步和妥協的過程;
viewing it as limited to national objects;
把它看為僅限于國家事宜;
regarding it was leaving to the people and the States all power not explicitly parted with,
認為它留給人民和各州所有不能明顯分開的權力,
I shall endeavor to preserve,protect,and defend it by anxiously referring to its provision for direction in every action.
我將努力通過在每一行動中,急切地參考其條款來尋求方向,來維持,保護和守衛它。
To matters of domestic concernment which it has intrusted to the Federal Government,
我將以極度熱心投入到那些委托給聯邦政府的國內事務,
and to such as relate to our intercourse with foreign nations I shall zealously devote myself;
[以及我們同外國交往有關的事務中;
beyond those limits I shall never pass.
而我將決不逾越這些界限。
To enter on this ocasion into a further or more minute exposition of my views on the various questions of domestic policy would be as obtrusive as it is probably unexpected.
在此時進一步詳細敘述我對各種國內政策的觀點將顯得冒失而可能意外。
Before the suffrages of my countrymen were condferred upon me I submitted to them,
在同胞們把參政權授予我之前,
with great precision,my opinions on all the most prominent of these subjects.
我已經非常準確地向他們提供了我關于這中間所有最顯要的問題的觀點。
Those opinions I shall endeavor to carry out with my utmost ability.
我將努力盡我所能來實施這些觀點。
Our course of foreign policy has been so uniform and intelligible as to constitute a rule of Executive conduct which leaves little to my discretion.
我們的外交政策路線是如此一致和清晰,以至其所構成的行政行為規則留給我很少斟酌余地。
unless,indeed,I were willing to run counter to the lights of experience and the know opinions of my constituents.
除非我真地想同歷史教訓及我的選民的意愿背道而馳。
We sedulously cultivate the friendship of all nations as the conditions most compatible with our welfare and the principles of our Government.
在和我們的福利和政府原則最協調的條件下,我們勤勉地培養同所有國家的友誼。
We decline alliances as adverse to our peace.
我們謝絕對我們的和平有損的聯盟。
We desire commercial relations on equal terms,
我們渴望平等條件下的商貿關系。