being ever willing to give a fair equivalent for advantages received.
一直愿意以公平相等來回報所受利益。
We endeavor to conduct our intercourse with openness and sincerity.
我們努力以開放,
We endeavor to conduct our intercourse with openness and sincerity,
和誠懇來進行我們的交往。
promptly avowing our objects and seeking to establish that mutual frankness which is as beneficial in the dealings of nations as of men.
合時宣布我們的目的,并尋求建立在與國或與人交往中都有益的相互之間的坦誠。
We have no disposition and we disclaim all right to meddle in disputes,whether internal or foreign,that may molest other countries,
我們沒有意向放棄此權利,去干涉那些可能擾亂他國的,內部或外部的爭執;
regarding them in their actual state as social communities,
我們把現實情況的他們看作社會群體,
and preserving a strict neutrality in all their controversies.
并在所有爭執中保持嚴格的中立。
Well knowing the tried valor of our people and our exhaustless resources,
堅信我們深受考驗的英勇人民和我們無盡的資源。
we neither anticipate nor fear any designed aggression;
我們既不預期也不懼怕任何有意侵略;
and in the consciousness of our own just conduct we feel a security that we shall never be called upon to exert our determination never to permit an invasion of our rights without punishment or redress.
以我們自己公正行為的良知,我們會因行使我們的決定,永不放過一個侵犯我們權利的行為進行懲罰和糾正,而感到安全。
In approaching,then,in the presence of my assembled countrymen,
于是,在同胞們集會的面前,
to make the solenm promise that yet remains,
即將作出莊嚴的允諾,
and to pledge myself that I will faithfully execute the office I am about to fill,
并保證我將忠心地行使我將要上任的職責,
I bring with me a settled purpose to maintain the institutions of my country,
我帶著一個既定目標來維持我國的機構組織,
which I trust will atone for the errors I commit.
我相信其會對我犯的錯誤作出彌補。
In receiving from the people the sacred trust twice confided to my illustrious predecessor,
受到人民兩次寄予我的顯赫的前任的神圣信任,
and which he has discharged so faithfully and so well,
而他是如此忠心和出色地履行之,
I know that I can not expect to perform the arduous task with equal ability and success.
我知道我不能期望以相同的能力和功績來執行這艱難的任務。
But united as I have been in his counsels,
但是,如同我得到他的建議,
a daily witness of his exclusive and unsurpassed devotion to his country's welfare,
每日目睹他專一而無比貢獻于國家的福利事業,
agreeing with him in sentiments which his countrymen have warmly supported,
和他同享他的同胞熱情擁護的思想,
and permitted to partake largely of his confidence,
并允許分享他的信任,
I may hope that somewhat of the same cheering approbation will be found to attend upon my path.
我也許可希望同樣歡心的贊賞會多少出現在我的道路上。
For him I but express with my own the wishes of all,
對他我只表達我自己的愿望,
that he may yet long live to enjoy the brilliant evening of his well spent life;
愿他仍能長壽以享受其光輝一生的燦爛晚年:
and for myself,conscious of but one desire,faithfully to serve my country,
對我自己,只知一個愿望,忠心為祖國服務。
I throw myself without fear on its justice and its kindness.
我無懼地把自己置于它的公正和仁慈之下。
Beyond that I only look to the gracious protection of the Divine Being whose strengthening support I humbly solicit,
在此之外,我僅期望圣上帝的仁慈保護,我謙卑地請求他的強力支持。
and whom I fervently pray to look down upon us all.
我熱心禱告向下照看我們全部。
May it be among the dispensations of His providence to bless our beloved country with honors and with length of days.
愿他的眷顧包含對我們可愛祖國的光輝而長久的祝福。
May her ways be ways of pleasantness and all her paths be peace!
愿她的道路充滿喜悅和和平!