A BACKWARD LOOK
回顧
These stories and poems of holidays will perhaps help you understand better what some of our holidays mean.
這些關于節日的故事和詩歌也許會幫助你更好地理解我們的一些節日意味著什么。
How did the boys and girls in these stories show that they knew the true meaning of a holiday?
這些故事中的男孩和女孩是如何表明他們知道假日的真正含義的?
Which of them did the most unselfish thing?
他們中誰做了最無私的事?
Which learned the greatest lesson?
哪一個得到了最大的教訓?
It is easy to wish that other people were happy and having a good time.
人們很容易希望別人幸福快樂,過得愉快。
It is not very hard to help someone else when you do not have to give up anything yourself.
當你不需要自己放棄任何東西時,幫助別人并不難。
But to give up something you have dearly wanted for yourself in order to help someone else is a different matter.
但是為了幫助別人而放棄自己渴望的東西是另一回事。
Yet, strange to say, many people have found their greatest happiness in giving up things to help others.
然而,說來奇怪,許多人在放棄一些東西來幫助他人的過程中找到了最大的幸福。
Which holiday of the year do you like best?
你最喜歡一年中的哪個節日?
Can you tell why?
你能告訴我為什么嗎?
Do you know the true meaning of the holiday you like best?
你知道你最喜歡的節日的真正含義嗎?
Are you thankful only on Thanksgiving Day, and loyal to your country only on the Fourth of July?
難道你只在感恩節感恩,只在七月四日忠于你的國家嗎?
Or do you try to spread out the meaning of these days over the whole year?
或者你是想把這些日子的意義分散到一整年?
A holiday should really be a day on which we show what we feel all the year through.
假期真的應該是一天,在這一天我們展示了我們一年來的感受。