No, Margot could not push a doll buggy in the parade as many of the smaller children would do, for Margot had never walked.
當然不行,瑪戈特不能像許多小孩子那樣在游行中推洋娃娃車,因為瑪戈特從來沒有走路過。
There was to be an operation soon.
很快就要動手術了。
The doctor promised that her limbs would be made strong as Philip’s, but that would not be until long after the parade.
醫生保證她的四肢會像菲利普一樣強壯,但這要等到游行結束后很久。
“We might get a wagon and pull her in it,” David suggested.
“我們可以找輛馬車拉著她參加,”大衛建議道。
Philip was thinking.
菲利普在思考。
“Ben Ames is training his dog to pull his sister’s wagon.
“本·艾姆斯正在訓練他的狗拉他妹妹的馬車。
Now if we only had a dog or a goat,” he said.
現在如果我們只有一只狗或一只山羊就好了。”他說。
“I have an idea, David. Will you help me?”
“我有個主意,大衛。你能幫幫我嗎?”
“Sure,” David agreed.
“當然,”大衛同意了。
“Can we fix up something for her to ride in?”
“我們能給她弄點東西讓她坐進去嗎?”
For an answer Philip ran into the house and returned with a book that had in it the picture of a sedan chair in which a lady was being carried by two men, one walking before and one behind.
菲利浦跑進屋里,拿著一本書回來,書上畫著一張轎子,上面有兩個男人抬著一位女士,兩個男人一個在前面,一個在后面。
Philip went over and turned the box up on end.
菲利浦走過去,把箱子翻了個底朝天。
“Why couldn’t we make a sedan chair of this box?
“我們為什么不能把這個箱子做成轎子?
We can take the open side for the front, windows can be cut in the sides, and Margot can sit on cushions on the bottom.”
我們可以把打開的一面作為前面,窗戶可以在側面切割,瑪戈特可以坐在底部的墊子上。”
He studied the picture a moment.
他研究了一會書上的圖案。
“Mother has a couple of poles she uses for clothes-props.
“媽媽有幾根用來做晾衣架的桿子。
We can fasten them to the box with bolts and use them for handles.
我們可以用螺栓把它們固定在箱子上,用作把手。
But how can we decorate it? I wonder—”
但是我們如何裝飾它呢?我想知道-”