Bob Cratchit. (His good-natured face covered with smiles.) How glad I am to see you, Martha!
鮑勃·克拉特基特:(他那張和藹可親的臉上洋溢著微笑。)我見到你真高興,瑪莎!
It does your father good to have all his children with him on Christmas Day.
在圣誕節這天,所有孩子都能來陪伴,我這個當爸爸的真是太開心了。
Dick. Come here, Tiny Tim! Hurry, hurry! You can hear the Christmas pudding singing in the kettle.
迪克:來這兒,小提姆!快點、快點!你能聽到圣誕布丁在水壺里唱歌。
(He helps Tiny Tim over to the fireplace.)
(他幫小提姆來到壁爐旁。)
Fanny. Hear it bubble and boil! It's all tied up in a cloth. See it steam!
范妮:聽到冒泡和沸騰的聲音了!全都用布料捆好,看它冒蒸汽了!
Dick. It smells like washing day!
迪克:聞起來像洗衣服的日子!
Fanny. That's the cloth. Dick. And it smells just like the baker's shop!
范妮:那是布料,迪克,聞起來就像面包店!
Fanny. That's the pudding.
范妮:那就是布丁。
Dick. Oh, but it smells like a fruit shop, too!
迪克:哦,但它聞起來也像水果店!
Fanny. That's the raisins and currants.
范妮:那是葡萄干和醋栗。
(Fanny and Dick dance about the fireplace and sniff the pudding. Tiny Tim waves his little crutch.)
(范妮和迪克在壁爐邊跳舞,聞著布丁的味道。小提姆揮舞著他的小拐杖。)
Tiny Tim. Hurrah! Hurrah!
小提姆:好哇!好哇!
Mrs. Cratchit. (Softly.) How did Tiny Tim behave at church?
克拉特基特夫人:(輕柔地。)小提姆在教堂表現的怎么樣?
Bob Cratchit. As good as gold. He sits alone so much that he has strange thoughts.
鮑勃·克拉特基特:特別好,他一個人坐久了,想出各種怪異的念頭。
He told me coming home that he hoped the people saw him in the church, because he was a cripple.
他回家時告訴我,希望人們在教堂看到他,因為他是個跛子。
He said it might be pleasant for them to remember on Christmas Day Who it was that made cripples walk and blind men see.
他說,在圣誕節這天,他們也許會很高興地記起是誰讓跛子能夠走路,盲人能夠看見。
Mrs. Cratchit. (Wiping her eyes.) Oh, if we only had a little more money, we could get him medicine and better food.
克拉特基特夫人:(擦著眼睛。)哦,如果我們再多有一點錢,我們就能給他買藥和更好的食物。
We could send him into the country for better air.
我們可以送他到鄉下去呼吸新鮮空氣。
Why doesn't Scrooge pay you fairly for your work? Then we could help Tiny Tim, and he would get well again.
為什么斯克魯奇不能公平地付你工錢?那樣我們就能幫助小提姆了,他會好起來的。
Bob Cratchit. (Shaking his finger at her.) My dear! Christmas Day!
鮑勃·克拉特基特:(對她搖了搖手指。)親愛的!這是圣誕節!
Mrs. Cratchit. You know it is true, Bob Cratchit, but you are too kind-hearted to say so.
克拉特基特夫人:你知道這都是真的,鮑勃·克拉特基特,但你太善良,不能這么說。
Belinda. (Breaking in on them.) Isn’t it time for Peter to get the goose, Mother?
貝琳達:(打斷他們的談話。)媽媽,彼得是不是該去取那只鵝了?
Fanny and Dick. May we go, too? Oh, let us go! Peter. I’ll carry Tiny Tim on my shoulder.
范妮和迪克:我們也可以去嗎?哦,讓我們去吧!彼得,我會把小提姆扛在肩上。
Fanny and Dick can bring home the goose.
范妮和迪克可以把鵝拿回家。