Dick. Oh, Mother! We have been to the baker’s shop.
迪克:哦,媽媽!我們去過面包店了。
Fanny. We smelled our goose, Mother! The baker says it is nearly done. There are a dozen geese in his big oven. Oh, how good they smell!
范妮:我們聞到了烤鵝的香味,媽媽!面包師說快烤好了。他的大烤箱里有許多鵝。噢,它們聞起來真香!
Dick. And the sage and onions, too. Oh! oh! oh! oh!
迪克:還有鼠尾草和洋蔥。噢!噢!噢!噢!
[The two children dance up and down.]
[兩個孩子蹦蹦跳跳。]
Fanny. Oh, Dick, see Peter’s new collar! How fine he looks in it! Dick. It is father’s collar. Some day I can have one of father’s collars, too. Then I will go to walk in the Park. Doesn’t Peter look beautiful?
范妮:哦,迪克,快看彼得的新衣領!他看起來真帥氣!迪克,這是爸爸的衣領??傆幸惶煳乙矔碛邪职值囊粋€衣領,然后我就去公園散步。彼得看起來難道不帥氣嗎?
[They dance around Peter.]
[他們圍著彼得跳躍。]
Mrs. Cratchit. Where can your dear father be?
克拉特基特夫人:你們親愛的爸爸去哪了?
And your brother, Tiny Tim? And Martha wasn’t as late as this last Christmas!
還有你們的弟弟,小提姆?瑪莎不會像去年圣誕節那樣遲到那么久吧!
[Martha comes in.]
[瑪莎走進屋。]
Fanny. Here’s Martha, Mother. Oh, Martha, there’s such a goose in the baker’s oven!
范妮:瑪莎來了,媽媽。噢,瑪莎,面包師的烤爐里烤著一只鵝!
Mrs. Cratchit. [ Taking off Martha's bonnet and shawl, and kissing her half a dozen times.] Why, bless your heart, my dear, how late you are!
克拉特基特夫人:[摘下瑪莎的帽子和披肩,親了她好幾次。]為什么,我的天哪,親愛的,你這么晚才來!
Martha. We worked till very late in the shop last night. Then we had to get up early this morning to clear everything away.
瑪莎:我們昨晚在店鋪工作到很晚,今天早上我們得早起,把所有東西都清理干凈。
Mrs. Cratchit. Well, never mind, so long as you have come. Sit down before the fire, my dear, and get warm.
克拉特基特夫人:沒關系,你來了就好。坐在火爐前吧,親愛的,烤暖和點。
Dick. Here’s Father coming! Hide, Martha, hide!
迪克:爸爸回來了!藏起來,瑪莎,藏起來!
[Martha hides behind the door as Bob Cratchit comes in. One end of a comforter hangs down before him, and the rest is wound tightly about his neck. His worn clothes are carefully mended and brushed. Tiny Tim, holding a crutch in his hand, is on his father’s shoulder.]
[鮑勃·克拉特基特進屋時,瑪莎躲到門后。圍巾的一頭垂在他胸前,其余部分緊緊地纏在他的脖子上。他的舊衣服經過細心地修補和擦拭。小提姆手里拿著拐杖,坐在父親肩上。]
Bob Cratchit. [Looking around.] Why, where’s our Martha?
鮑勃·克拉特基特:[環顧四周。]為什么我們的瑪莎沒來?
Fanny and Dick. Not coming!
范妮和迪克,也沒來!
Bob Cratchit. [ Surprised and disappointed.] Not coming? On Christmas Day?
鮑勃·克拉特基特:[感到驚訝又失望。]不來了嗎?在圣誕節這天?
[He puts Tiny Tim down.]
[他放下小提姆。]
Mrs. Cratchit. We must not make Father sad with our jokes. No, Martha is not coming, because she is already here.
克拉特基特夫人:我們不能讓爸爸因為我們開的玩笑而感到傷心。不,瑪莎不來了,因為她已經在這里了。
Martha. [Running out ] Here I am, Father! Merry Christmas to you!
瑪莎:[跑出來]我在這,爸爸!祝您圣誕快樂!