Marsilius was so pleased with Ganelon's plan that he gave him rich presents.
馬西利烏斯對加尼隆的計劃非常滿意,給他很多禮物。
Then seven hundred camels, loaded with gold and silver, were sent as a gift to Charlemagne.
于是,七百匹馱著金銀的駱駝被作為禮物送到查理曼的營帳。
Mounting his horse, Ganelon started back to his own camp.
加尼隆上馬,返回自己的營地。
The great Charles was glad to see him and asked what message he brought from Marsilius.
查理曼大帝很高興見到他,并問他從馬西利烏斯那帶來了什么消息。
"Marsilius has sent you seven hundred camels loaded with gold and silver, and he will follow you to France before a month has passed.
“馬西利烏斯送給您七百匹馱著金銀的駱駝,一個月內,他就會跟隨您去往法國。
He will never again fight against you, but will always obey you."
他再也不會和您對戰,永遠服從您的指揮。”
This message pleased the king, and he praised Ganelon.
國王聽后很高興,對加尼隆大加稱贊。
Then a thousand trumpets were sounded, and Charlemagne's great army made ready for the journey to France.
隨后,一千只號角被吹響,查理曼大帝的軍隊準備返回法國。
Roland's Dangerous Task
羅蘭的危險任務
When all was ready, Charlemagne said to his knights: "The mountain pass through which we must go is narrow.
一切就緒后,查理曼大帝對騎士們說:“我們必須經過的山口很窄。
If the enemy should attack us there, we could neither fight nor escape.
如果敵人在那里襲擊我們,我們既不能戰斗也不能逃脫。
Who will stay behind and keep the enemy back until our army has gone through the pass?"
在我軍通過關口之前,誰留下來,把敵人擋在后面呢?”
"You have no braver knight than Roland," said Ganelon. "Give him command of the guard."
加尼隆說:“羅蘭是最勇敢的騎士,讓他指揮守衛軍吧。”
Now Charlemagne did not want to leave Roland behind, but Roland smiled and said, "Gladly will I do this. I thank Ganelon for naming me."
查理曼不想把羅蘭拋在身后,但羅蘭笑著說:“我很樂意這樣做。我感謝加尼隆指名要我來守衛。
Charlemagne bowed his head, for he feared that some harm might come to Roland.
查理曼低下了頭,因為他擔心羅蘭會受傷。
Then Oliver came quickly to Roland's side. "If my comrade stays behind, I will stay with him," he said.
然后奧利弗很快來到羅蘭身邊,他說:“如果我的戰友留下守衛,我要和他一起留下。”
"And I," cried one after another of the men, until the whole army would have remained with Roland;
“還有我,”士兵們一個接一個地喊道,最后全軍都要留在羅蘭身邊;
but he would allow only twenty thousand soldiers to stay.
但他只允許兩萬士兵留下來。