Charlemagne sat silent for some moments.
查理曼靜靜地坐了一會兒。
Then he called his warriors around him and said: "King Marsilius has sent messengers to me, bringing rich gifts and asking me to return to France.
然后他召來身邊站的勇士們,對他們說:“馬西利烏斯國王差遣使者來見我,帶了許多禮物,懇請我撤軍回法國。
He promises to follow me there and never more fight against me. Tell me what answer I should send him."
他答應會跟隨我去法國,永遠不再與我對戰。我應該怎么回答他。”
As soon as Charlemagne had finished speaking, Roland exclaimed, "My advice is, fight on! France will never be safe until Marsilius is conquered."
查理曼話音剛落,羅蘭便喊道,“我的建議是,繼續戰斗!除非把馬西利烏斯打敗,不然法國永遠不會安寧。”
The great king bent his head, but did not answer.
查理曼大帝低下頭,沒有作答。
Then a knight named Ganelon rose and stood before him.
一個名叫加尼隆的騎士起身站到查理曼面前。
"Roland is young and talks foolishly," he said.
他說:“羅蘭年紀小,凈說些愚蠢的話。”
"Listen not to him. Let us accept the offer of King Marsilius and end this long war, so that we may return to our homes."
“不要聽他的,我們接受馬西利烏斯國王的提議,結束這場漫長的戰爭,那樣大伙就可以回家了。”
Then all the knights cried out together, "Ganelon has spoken wisely! Let us end this war!"
隨后所有的騎士們都一起喊道:“加尼隆說得對!我們結束這場戰爭吧!”
"Tell me, then, whom shall I send to carry my message to King Marsilius?" asked Charlemagne.
“那你們告訴我,我應該讓誰捎信給馬西利烏斯國王呢?” 查理曼問道。
"Let me be your messenger," said Roland.
讓我做您的信使吧,”羅蘭說。
"You must not go," cried Oliver. "The Saracens may put you to death. I will go."
奧利弗喊道:“你不能去,撒拉遜人可能會把你殺死,讓我去吧。”
"Neither of you shall go!" cried Charlemagne. "You are both too young."
“你們兩個誰都不能去!”查理曼大聲喊道,“你們都太年輕了。”
At this there was silence; then Roland spoke again. "Let Ganelon go. He is wise, and he will do the errand well."
一片寂靜之后,羅蘭再次說道:“讓加尼隆去吧,他很聰明,一定能把任務完成好。”
At this all the knights cried out, "Roland is right! Let Ganelon go! Let Ganelon carry the king’s message!"
所有騎士隨即喊道:“羅蘭說得對!讓加尼隆去!讓加尼隆做國王的信使!