Although Roland saw nothing but the food, the watchful eyes of the great king had seen everything.
雖然羅蘭德除了食物什么也沒看到,但這位偉大的國王卻看到了一切。
His servants would have seized the boy, but Charlemagne said, "Do not touch him.
他的仆人本想抓住他,但查理曼卻說:“不要碰他。
Tomorrow we shall dine here again. If the boy returns, bring him to me."
明天我們還要在這里吃飯。那孩子若回來,就帶到我這里來?!?/div>
Roland hurried joyously to his mother with the food.
羅蘭興高采烈地拿著食物匆匆趕到母親身邊。
The next day he came again just as the king seated himself at the table.
第二天,當國王坐在桌旁時,羅蘭又來了。
A crowd of poor people stood around, waiting to receive bread and meat.
一群窮人站在附近,等著領取面包和肉。
Roland again walked to the table and gathered up as much food as he could carry.
羅蘭又走到桌邊,盡可能多地收拾食物。
Before he could turn away, however, a voice said, "Come here, my boy."
他還沒來得及轉身,一個聲音就說:“過來,孩子?!?/div>
A servant led Roland to the head of the table,
仆人把羅蘭領到桌子的前面,
and the little boy with his arms full of food stood before the great king.
小男孩抱著滿滿的食物站在偉大的國王面前。
Charlemagne looked kindly at him and said, "If you are hungry, my child, sit down and eat as much as you want."
查理曼和善地看著他說:“孩子,如果你餓了,坐下來想吃多少就吃多少吧?!?/div>
"You are very good," said Roland,
“你真好,”羅蘭說,
"but I cannot wait. I must take this food home at once to my mother."
“但我等不及了,我必須馬上把這些食物帶回家給我媽媽。
The great king smiled as he heard these words.
偉大的國王聽到這些話時笑了。
"Who is your mother?" he asked.
“你媽媽是誰?”他問道。

- 閱讀本文的人還閱讀了: