"Mother," he said one day, "I do not like these clothes.
有一天他說道:“媽媽,我不喜歡這些衣服。
The boys call them rags.
男孩們說我穿的是破布。
Why cannot I have a suit such as Oliver wears?"
為什么我不能有一套像奧利弗那樣的衣服呢?”
"Roland, my son," said his mother, sadly, "Oliver’s father is governor of the town.
媽媽傷心地說:“羅蘭,我的兒子,奧利弗的爸爸是鎮長。
Your father is dead, and we are very poor. I cannot always get bread for us to eat."
你爸爸死了,我們很窮。我們不是總能有面包吃?!?/div>
The boy was silent for a few minutes.
男孩沉默了幾分鐘。
He was thinking about what his mother had just told him.
他在想他媽媽剛才對他說的話。
Then he spoke again.
然后他又說道,
"Mother, was your home always in this cave?"
“媽媽,你一直都住在這個洞里嗎?”
His mother smiled sadly as she said, "Once I lived in a beautiful palace, Roland.
他的媽媽苦笑著說道:“羅蘭,我曾經住在一座美麗的宮殿里。
But that was in a land far away from here."
但那個地方離這里很遠。”
"A palace, Mother!" cried the little boy.
“宮殿里呀,媽媽!”小男孩喊道。
"Did you live in a palace? Oliver told me once that only kings and very great men live in palaces.
“你住在宮殿里嗎?奧利弗曾經告訴我,只有國王和非常偉大的人物才住在宮殿里。
Was your father a great man in that beautiful land in which you lived?"
你爸爸是你居住的那塊美麗土地上的偉人嗎?”
"My father was the king of that land, Roland," said his mother, quietly.
“我爸爸是那片土地的國王,羅蘭?!眿寢屍届o地說。