"The pond is so muddy that I cannot see the bottom," said the young man;
“池塘水太渾了,我看不見底,”年輕人說。
"and so I must feel for the sandals."
“我得去摸。”
Then he ducked his head under again
然后他又低下頭
and the children saw his feet go in last like the flopping tail of a great fish.
孩子們看見他的雙腳像大魚撲通撲通的尾巴最后入水。
He was under for a long time.
他在水下待了很久。
But suddenly—up he came, and in his hand was the rope with the wet sandals dangling from it.
突然,他上來了,手里拿著一根繩子,上面掛著濕漉漉的草鞋。
Ting Fang helped to pull in the rope himself and counted the sandals as they came out of the I water.
方廷幫忙拉繩子,一只只地數著從河里撿上來草鞋。

He had lost only a few, and even without those he still had more sandals than anyone else.
只丟了幾只,即使沒有這幾只,他也比任何人多。
"Thank you, thank you!" Ting Fang said to the hero who had saved his sandals.
“謝謝,謝謝!”方廷對幫他撿草鞋的英雄說道。
"Now my mother can cook our supper tonight.
“今晚媽媽可以做晚飯了。
But how did you learn to dive so well?" he asked.
但你的水性怎么可以這么好呢?”方廷問道。
The tall young man smiled. "I am a sailor," he answered.
高個子的年輕人笑了笑。“我是水手,”他說。
"On my ship there is a workman who used to earn his living by diving for pearls,
“在我的船上,有一個船夫過去以潛水采珠為生,
and he has taught me how to dive.
他教我潛水。
This man and I amuse ourselves by dropping things overboard 5 and then bringing them back to the ship."
我和他通過把東西從船上扔下去然后帶回船上自娛自樂。”
"How did you know about this wonderful diver?"Ting Fang asked the little girl.
“你是怎么認識這個了不起的水手的?”方廷問小女孩。