Give me everything you got! Now!
把所有東西都交出來,快點
Are you deaf?!
你聾了嗎
Come on!
動作快點
Please, I don't want any trouble.
求你了,我不想惹麻煩
Please!
求你了
I don't want any trouble!
我不想惹麻煩
Dr. Watson?
華生醫生
Joey!
喬伊
Long time. Been a while, huh?
好久不見了啊
Yeah. What, three years? Yeah.
是啊,都三年了吧,對
Uh, you remembered Dad's birthday.
你還記得爸爸的生日
Well, a day late, but yeah.
晚了一天,不過還記得
You caught me.
被你發現了
Mm. Nice thing about coming the day after,
晚來一天的好處就是
you're less likely to run into my mom.
你遇上我媽媽的幾率會小一點
It's nice of you...
你能來看他
to come and see him.
真好
I liked him.
我很喜歡他
He was a good man.
他是個好人
You're a good doctor.
你是個好醫生
Hey, let me buy you a coffee; we can catch up.
讓我請你喝杯咖啡,我們可以聊聊
I'm supposed to meet a friend I work with, so...
我應該去見一位共事的朋友了
Come on, just one cup.
別嘛,就一杯
Well, I think we're wrapped up here.
我覺得這里的工作算是完成了
Why don't we make one more sweep,
我們可以再看一遍
make sure we got pictures.
確保照片都拍完了
And then police have been stationed at the hospital.
醫院也有警察駐守著
In case Benny wakes up, somebody from the team...
如果本尼醒來的話,警隊里會有人...
Detective Bell. Sorry I'm late.
貝爾警探,抱歉我遲到了
You're not late-- you texted me and said you heard
你沒遲到,你給我發短信說
on your scanner there'd been a shooting.
你在步話機上聽到有槍擊案發生
I texted you back, told you I didn't need any help.
我給你回復說,我不需要你的幫忙
Actually, you wrote, and I quote:
其實,你寫的是,容我引述
Yes, please, now,
好的,拜托了,現在就來 "
triple-smiley face, with tongue protruding" What?
三個笑臉,還伸著舌頭,什么 -
Yeah, see, that's not from me.
好吧,你看,這不是我發的
That's from someone named Bella,
那條短信來自一位叫貝拉的人
and you got it last December.
是你去年十二月收到的
My name is Bell,
我的名字是貝爾
no "A," but I can see how you might've confused us.
不是拉,不過我明白你是怎么弄混的
It's not like you're into details or anything.
這種細節反正你也總不在乎
How embarrassing.
太尷尬了
Anyway, now that I'm here...
不管怎樣,我人都來了
Vic's name is Felix Soto.
受害人的名字叫菲利克斯·索托
He's a math tutor.
是名數學家庭教師
Lives here alone.
獨自一人住在這里
I was under the impression that two men had been shot.
我印象中有兩個人遭到槍擊
Two were. Second victim, guy named Benny Charles,
是兩個人,第二個受害人叫本尼·查爾斯
was shot in the driveway right out there.
在外面的私家車道上遭到槍擊
Funny thing is, far as we can tell,
有趣的是,據我們所知
they didn't know each other. About 90 seconds
他們并不認識對方,差不多
before Mr. Charles got shot last night,
在昨晚查爾斯先生被槍擊前90秒
he mugged someone around the corner.
他在街角處搶了某個人的錢
I think he ducked into the driveway to count his loot.
我認為他拐進私家車道是為了數搶來的錢財
Wrong place, wrong time?
所以只是巧合嗎
Well... unless you believe in karma. Yeah.
除非你相信因果報應
So I'm assuming, from the absence of his body,
沒見到他的尸體,我猜
that Mr. Charles survived. Barely.
查爾斯先生活了下來,命懸一線 -
First officers on the scene managed to stop the bleeding,
到現場的第一批警員設法把血止住了
but he never regained consciousness.
但他一直沒有恢復意識
He's in surgery now.
他現在在動手術
I'm hearing it doesn't look good.
我聽說情況不容樂觀
Hey, where's your better half this morning?
你的好搭檔怎么不在
One mystery at a time, Detective. So...
一次解決一個謎題,警探
not much evidence to suggest it was a robbery gone wrong--
沒有足夠的證據表明這是一次劫殺
too many valuables have been left behind.
留下了太多財物
A neighbor heard mr. Soto arguing with another man
一位鄰居幾天前聽到索托先生跟另一名
a few nights ago, but never got a good look at the guy.
男子發生爭執,不過沒看清那人的長相
We're reaching out to his family, see if they can think
我們正在找他的家人,看看他們能否
of anyone who had beef with him.
想到誰跟他有過節
Interesting space, huh?
這地方很有趣啊,對吧
Minimalist.
極簡抽象派
The other rooms aren't.
其他房間可不這樣
There's art and pictures hung up.
都掛著有藝術品和照片
I wondered for a second
我曾懷疑過
if maybe the shooter took some down, but...
也許是槍手把東西取下來了,不過
aren't any nail holes.
墻上連釘眼都沒有
You always been this observant?
你一直都這么善于觀察嗎
I'm asking that quite sincerely.
我是真心實意地在問你
I was wondering if exposure to my methods had...
我在想在我斷案方法的耳濡目染下
helped you in any way.
你是否有所長進
Actually, before you came along,
其實在你來之前
I'd never closed a case before.
我還沒破過案呢
Neither had the rest of the department.
整個部門都沒有
Most of us were thinking of packing up, leaving,
我們中的好多人都想著打包走人
letting the city fend for itself.
讓這座城市自己保護自己吧
We need to find the black light.
我們需要找到黑光燈
The what?
什么東西
There's a chemical known as C.A.M. Phosphor
墻上有一種叫鑭鋁鈣磷光劑的
on the walls-- smells like spent matchsticks.
化學物質,聞起來像用過的火柴棍
Smell it. Smell it.
聞聞,聞聞吧
It's the primary ingredient
這是某種墨水的
of an ink which can only be seen
主要原料
when exposed to...
它只有在紫外線...
...when it exposed to...
在紫外線的照射下...
ultraviolet light.
才會顯影 ...
Thank you.
謝謝
What is it?
這是什么
Well, I'm going to take a very literal
我在這片黑暗中
stab in the dark and say...
大膽猜測一下,這是
maths.
數學
Question is...
問題是
does it have anything to do with Mr. Soto's death?
索托先生的死是否和它有關
Still can't believe you're a cop.
我還不是不敢相信你是個警察
I-I'm not a cop.
我,我不是警察
I'm a... Yeah. Consulting... A consulting detective.
我是,顧問,顧問偵探
Still, you, like, go to crime scenes
但你還是會去犯罪現場
and put away bad guys. Well, it's a little more
把壞人送進監獄,比那個
complicated than that, but yeah.
要復雜一點點,不過差不多
Well, sometimes we do.
有時候我們就這么做
What about you?
那你呢
You're graduating this year, right?
你今年就要畢業了,對嗎
Uh... I don't know.
我不知道
I, um... had a kind of rough time junior year.
我大三過得比較混亂
I was thinking about my dad a lot.
我經常在想我的爸爸
Probably partying a little more than I should've.
或許參加了太多的派對
Actually, um, I left...
事實上,我在春季學期
right before my spring semester.
開始之前就退學了
I'm sorry to hear that.
很遺憾聽到這個消息
It is what it is, right?
反正也木已成舟了
Besides, I got some stuff going on.
還有,我在做一件事情
Stuff I'm very excited about.
一件讓我很激動的事情
This is my bar.
這是我的酒吧
You bought a bar?
你買了一家酒吧
Well, I'm about to buy a bar,
我正要買一家酒吧
me and a buddy.
和我一個兄弟
And, you know, we're just
我們現在正在
getting together the funding right now,
募集資金
but we are this close, Doc.
不過我們就差這么一點了,醫生
Oh. Joan. You should call me Joan now.
喬恩,你現在應該叫我喬恩
Ah, sorry.
對不起
Old habits.
舊習難改
You don't like it?
你不喜歡嗎
No. It's just...
沒啊,我只是
I just remember how excited you were
我還記得你對當工程師
about studying to become an engineer,
是多么興奮
how happy it made your dad.
還有你爸爸有多高興
Well, the school took away my scholarship
校方在我退學的時候
when I dropped out, so...
拿走了我的獎學金,所以...
so without that, can't exactly go back.
沒了獎學金,確實也沒辦法回去了
Yeah.
是啊
It's funny, it's like I can't help wondering
說來有趣,我忍不住在想
if we were supposed to run into each other this morning.
我們今早是不是注定遇見的
My partner and me,
我和我的搭檔
we have big plans for this place,
對這個地方有宏偉的計劃
and I know that anyone that invests with us
而且我相信任何給我們投資的人
is gonna double their money.
都會大賺
Like, at least.
至少翻兩倍
Are you asking me for a loan?
你是想向我借錢嗎
No, I'm-I'm offering you an opportunity.
不,我只是提供給你一個合作機會
And you were always so good to me.
因為你一直對我很好
You know? You... you held my hand
當我父親生病時
when Dad got sick.
你一直支持我
Now I just, you know, maybe I can pay you back a little.
現在我只是覺得,也許我能報答你
Hey, I even found this little
看,我甚至在后面的房間
spot in the back room to hang his picture.
找到一處地方可以掛他的照片
You know, just so he can always be there, always.
這樣他就能一直在那里了
So, how much do you need?
你需要多少錢
If you're looking for Sherlock, he's downstairs.
如果你想找夏洛克,他在樓下
Okay.
好的
I will go there now.
我現在就去
His name is Harlan Emple.
他的名字叫哈倫·林珀
He is the Rachel P. Hanson Professor
他是哥倫比亞大學應用數學的
for Applied Mathematics at Columbia University,
瑞秋·P·漢森榮譽教授
and holder of the Smithfield Endowed Chair
同時也是亨廷頓研究所的代數幾何
of Algebraic Geometry at the Huntington Institute.
方面的史密斯菲爾德客座教授
And he is here to help you make sense
他來這里是幫你弄清數學公式的含義
of the equations you found. Okay, I get that.
這個我明白
What I don't get is why he isn't wearing a shirt.
我不明白的是他為什么光著上身
Every great thinker has a process, Watson.
每一位偉大的智者都有自己的習慣,華生
In Harlan's case, he doesn't like anything
對哈倫來說,他不喜歡任何東西
to come between him and the numbers.
擋在他和數字之間
I know you can feel quite Victorian about such matters,
我知道你覺得這種事很難理解
so I've given him a little bell to ring
所以我已經提醒過他
should he feel the need to disrobe entirely.
看他覺得是否有必要全裸
Having said that, I can't guarantee
雖然這么說了,我還是不能保證
he won't sit on the furniture.
他不會坐在家具上
How do you know him again?
你是怎么認識他的來著
In 1999, he devised a mathematical model
1999年,他設計了一種數學模型
which he believed could accurately predict
他認為可以精確預測
crime patterns in and around New York City.
紐約市區及其周邊的犯罪模式
Ultimately, didn't work,
最終,沒有成功
but I found the premise quite fascinating.
但我覺得這個設想非常有趣
We've been corresponding ever since.
從那以后我們一直保持聯系
Do you really think this guy was killed over math?
你真覺得這家伙是因為數學而被殺的嗎
Mr. Soto obviously went to
索托先生顯然很費力地
great lengths to conceal his calculations.
隱藏他的計算過程
Whether they have any real value,
至于它們是否有實際價值
or are just the numerical ramblings of a math-obsessed madman,
或只是數學狂人隨便寫的數字
is for Harlan to determine.
就由哈倫來定奪了
Eggs?
要煎蛋嗎
Uh, no, thanks.
不,謝了
Hey, I was wondering if it was possible
我在想我能不能
to get an advance on my salary.
預支一下我的薪水
Define "advance".
預支多少
$5,000.
五千塊
I ran into someone this morning.
我今早遇到了一個熟人
He's the son of an old friend of mine.
他是我一位老友的兒子
He's trying to get this business off the ground.
他在嘗試創業
I thought I'd help him out.
我覺得該幫幫他
I just maxed out on my IRA contributions,
我剛剛繳了一筆個人退休金
so I cannot take money back,
所以沒法把錢拿回來
otherwise I will get massive penalties.
否則會有巨額罰款
You must really believe in this young man.
你一定是很信任這個年輕人
Well, I'd like to see him take a shot at this.
我想看他嘗試一下
Not quite the same thing, though, is it?
其實不是這么回事,是嗎
Sherlock! I know what the formula is!
夏洛克,我知道方程式是什么了
And it is a doozy.
它是個騙局
Okay, so the first thing you need to know
首先你們需要知道的是
is that the guy who wrote this was a genius.
寫出這個的家伙是個天才
Guys with an "s".
是家伙們
There were two mathematicians at work here.
有兩位數學家參與這個
One was Felix Soto.
一位是已故的菲利克斯·索托
These parts of the equation are a match
這部分的等式跟
for handwriting samples I took from his home.
我從他家找來的手寫樣本字體相符
These scribbles are from another man yet to be identified.
這些涂鴉則是出自尚不知道身份的另一個男人
How-how do you know it was a man?
你怎么知道是個男的
There is an inconsistency to the gradient here.
這里的字跡并不一致
Some of the letters slant to the right, others to the left.
有些字母向右傾斜,其他的向左
Also, the stem of the "P" here
還有,這里字母"P"和
and the "D" here are looped instead of doubled back.
"D"的起筆是個圈而不是折回的
It doesn't guarantee the writer was male,
不能保證寫字者是男性
but it's a strong indicator.
起碼也八九不離十
Fine. Then these guys are geniuses.
好吧,那這些家伙們是天才
The point is, I know what they were working on.
重點是,我知道他們在干嘛
It's P versus NP!
這是P對NP問題
Come on, it's one of the most famous problems in math history.
拜托,這是數學史上最著名的難題之一
Harlan, if we were mathematicians,
哈倫,如果我們是數學家的話
you would not be here.
那還讓你來干嘛
In simplest terms, P versus NP asks if every problem
最簡單的說, P對NP是說是否每個
whose solution can be quickly verified by a computer can also
能在計算機上驗證其解決方法的問題
be quickly solved by a computer.
也能借助計算機很快地解決出來
Sounds innocent enough, right? Only it's not.
聽起來很簡單,對嗎,實際上不是
It is filthy.
它是難解之謎
Some experts have even theorized that it can't be solved.
一些專家甚至用理論證明它解決不了
Could it be a motive for murder? That depends.
它會成為兇手的動機嗎,得看情況
You think a million dollars could be a motive for murder?
你覺得一百萬美金能成為兇手的動機嗎
I'm sorry. You're saying this is worth a million dollars?
不好意思,你是說這玩意值一百萬
No, but it is getting there.
不,但是很接近了
I mean, this is the farthest
我是說,這是我所見過的
I have ever seen anyone take P versus NP.
解決P對NP中離結果最接近的
I mean, if I... if I had to guess, I would say
如果讓我猜的話,我敢說
that these guys are months, maybe weeks from solving it.
他們倆再有幾個月,甚至幾周就能解出來了
But who would pay a million dollars
但是誰會為了一個數學難題的
for the solution to a mathematical problem?
解法付一百萬呢
The Clay Mathematics Institute in Rhode Island.
羅德島上的克雷數學研究所
They're a non-profit dedicated to promoting math interest.
他們是一家致力于傳播數學的非盈利機構
But the thing that they are most famous for
但他們最有名的是
is The Millennium Prizes.
旗下的千禧技術獎
They offer a million dollars to anyone who can solve
他們向能夠解決世界上七大最難問題之一的
just one of the seven hardest problems in the world.
任何人提供一百萬的獎金
And P versus NP is one of the seven.
P對NP問題就是其中之一
We know that the dead man, Soto, was working with a partner.
我們知道死者,索托,有一位搭檔
And you said that Soto's neighbor heard him arguing
而且你說過索托的鄰居幾個晚上前
with another man a few nights ago.
聽到他和另一個男人在爭吵
Perhaps the partner thought
或許他的搭檔覺得
he could complete the problem himself.
他可以自己解決問題
Take the prize money without having to share it.
從而獨享獎金
For what it's worth,
值得一提的是
your victim would not have been working
你的受害者不會和普通的數學家
with just any mathematician.
一起工作
P versus NP is the kind of problem
P對NP問題是一種要求研究者
that people devote their lives to.
愿意為之獻身的難題
There is a whole P versus NP community.
專門有研究P對NP問題的組織
A community which you could help us gain access to?
你能幫我們接觸到這個組織嗎
Well, I sort of travel in different mathematical circles.
我的主要領域是另外的數學圈子
But I do know somebody who's pretty involved.
但我認識對這個圈子非常了解的人
Tanya Barrett. She's a professor at Triboro College.
泰雅·巴雷特,她是泰博魯學院的教授
I heard about what happened
我今早在新聞上聽說了
to Felix on the news this morning.
菲利克斯的不幸遭遇
I still can't believe it.
我現在還是無法相信
Were you two close?
你們關系很好嗎
I met him when I wrote my articles,
我在寫論文時采訪過他
but that was years ago.
不過那是好幾年前的事了
It's our understanding, Professor Barrett,
據我們所知,巴雷特教授
that you are a veritable who's who guide
你是鑒定P對NP問題的解決方法
to the world of P versus NP.
研究成果的權威
When I wrote my articles,
我在寫論文時
I profiled all the mathematicians
我剖析了所有致力于
who had really devoted themselves to the problem.
研究這個數學難題的數學家
That's how I met Felix.
由此結識了菲利克斯
Do you know if he was close
那你知道他有沒有
to any of the other people that you interviewed?
和你某個別的采訪對象關系很近呢
I don't think so. Why?
我覺得沒有,怎么了
We have reason to believe that before he died,
我們確信在他死前
he was collaborating with a partner.
與人合作解決這個難題
That doesn't sound like Felix.
這可不像是菲利克斯的作風
He was very competitive.
他好勝心很強
But I'll be happy to walk you
不過我很樂意提供
through the names that I do have.
我所知的名單給你們
These are the journals that published me.
這些是發表我論文的期刊
So, um, what made you start wanting
為什么你會開始想寫
to write about P versus NP?
關于P對NP的論文呢
Oh, when I was young and very full of myself,
在我年輕氣盛的時候
I decided to spend a summer trying to solve it.
我決定用一個夏天的時間解決這項難題
When I looked up, three years had gone by.
可一晃卻過了三年
P versus NP may well be unsolvable.
也許P對NP問題根本無解
So... I walked away.
所以我放棄了
Do you know who wrote this proof?
你知道這段證明公式是誰寫的嗎
Cyril Nauer, a total savant.
西里爾·納爾徹頭徹尾的死學究
He lives in Brooklyn. Look familiar?
他住在布魯克林區,看著眼熟嗎
That's the same handwriting as our mystery mathematician.
和我們要找的神秘數學家的筆跡一致
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of Mr. Nauer, would you?
你一定有納爾先生的照片,對吧
Cyril Nauer looks like the Unabomber.
西里爾·納爾長得好像"隱形炸彈人"
Both are mathematicians,
他倆都是數學家
both are loners.
又都性格孤僻
Let's hope only one of them ever aspired to mass casualties.
但愿他們不是都喜歡濫殺無辜
Detective Bell, I believe we may have a strong suspect
貝爾警探,我們可能找到了
in the murder of Felix Soto.
菲利克斯·索托謀殺案的重大嫌疑人
That's good.
那太好了
I just found out we got a second victim.
我剛發現了第二個被害者
He was shot on a sidewalk in Hell's Kitchen
他昨晚在地獄廚房(地獄廚房,紐約曼哈頓西部地區)區的人行道上被槍殺
last night, dragged into an alley.
尸體被拖到一條小巷里
Initial ballistics report says
初步的彈道分析報告顯示
it was the same gun that killed Felix Soto.
兇器就是殺死菲利克斯·索托的那把手槍
Any connection between the two men?
兩個被害者之間有什么聯系
Right now, all I have is a name.
目前我只知道他的名字
Cyril Nauer.
叫西里爾·納爾
So, want to give me the name of your suspect?
好了,你找到的嫌疑犯叫什么名字
Two mathematicians,
兩位數學家
both collaborating on the same infamous problem,
合作研究公認的數學難題
both killed within an hour of each other by the same shooter.
又在一個小時內被同一兇手所殺
Obviously, not a coincidence.
顯而易見,這絕非巧合
Your friend said that a solution
你的朋友說P對NP問題的
to P versus NP is worth a million dollars, right?
解決方法值一百萬美金,是嗎
It's hard to imagine
那應該不止兩個人
there's only two people trying to solve it.
想要解決這項難題
You think they were killed by a competitor.
你認為他們是被競爭者所殺
Would make sense, wouldn't it?
這說得通,不是嗎
I mean, someone realizes how far they've come,
有人發現了他們的研究成果
murders them to keep them from solving it first.
先下手為強殺了他們
Question is,
問題是
how did they realize how far they'd come?
兇手如何發現他們的成果的
Both men clearly paranoid about having their work uncovered.
顯然這兩人都很注重保密工作
They recorded every digit in invisible ink.
所有數字都用隱形墨水書寫
Maybe one of them bragged to the wrong person.
也許是其中一個胡亂吹噓,惹禍上身
Says here that CSU found some dog hairs
犯罪現場小組的報告說在西里爾·納爾
under the arms of Cyril Nauer's coat.
外套的胳膊下發現了一些狗毛
Transferred, presumably, when the shooter dragged
可能是兇手把納爾先生的尸體
Mr. Nauer into the alleyway.
拖到小巷的時候沾上的
Is there a picture?
有照片嗎
Yeah.
有
They sent the samples to the lab to try to determine
他們把樣品送到實驗室鑒定
the dog's... Boston terrier.
是哪種狗,波士頓梗犬
So...
所以說...
perhaps our shooter owns a dog.
可能,兇手養了條狗
Almost something, I suppose.
也算有點發現嘛
You know, we never finished our conversation from yesterday.
其實,昨晚我們還沒說完
I asked you for an advance?
我請你預付工資的事
Just out of curiosity, Watson,
僅僅出于好奇,華生
who exactly asked you for $5,000,
誰問你要這五千塊錢
and what is their connection
他和三年前
to the man who died under your care three years ago?
死在你手術臺上的病人是什么關系
You told me you had a doctor's appointment yesterday.
你說昨天你去看醫生了
That was a lie.
那是在撒謊
You went to visit your former patient's grave.
你去祭拜了以前的病人
You've done so quite regularly since moving in with me.
你搬來和我住以后,定期去祭拜
It's your sleeves; they tend to give you away.
是你的袖子出賣了你
I'm able to detect the fragrance of carnations,
我能從上面聞到康乃馨的味道
but no carnations ever appear at the Brownstone.
但褐石屋里從沒出現過康乃馨
You leave them for him, do you not?
所以你拿著花去祭拜他了,是吧
I don't mean to pry.
我無意打探你的隱私
It's just that you went there yesterday,
只是昨天你祭拜完他
and when you returned,
回家之后
you hoped to secure a rather substantial loan
就提出希望為"朋友的兒子"
for the "son of a friend"
預支一大筆錢
neither of whom you wished to discuss.
卻對這兩人三緘其口
I'd want to make sure
我只想確認
that this person is not taking advantage of you.
你沒有被人利用
Yeah, I guess we never really... talked about this, did we?
好像我們從沒真正談過這件事
His name was Gerald Castoro. He was my patient.
他叫杰拉德·卡斯特羅,是我的病人
He needed surgery to remove his right adrenal gland.
他需要手術切除右側腎上腺
He had a tumor inside it.
他那里長了個腫瘤
A pheochromocytoma.
是一種嗜鉻細胞瘤(交感神經腫瘤)
It's rare.
這種病很罕見
And the procedure to remove it is pretty straightforward.
切除手術很簡單
I nicked his vena cava.
我錯手割破了他的下腔靜脈
I don't know how. I just...
也不知道是怎么了,就...
He lost his entire volume of blood
瞬間他全身的血液
into his abdomen in seconds.
都倒灌進了他的腹腔
He was a nice man. He was a dock worker.
他人很好,是個碼頭工人
Few weeks before the surgery, I got to know his family.
手術前幾周,我認識了他的家人
His wife, his son.
他的妻子,兒子
Mrs. Castoro did what most people would do in her situation.
卡斯特羅太太的反應并不出人意料
She sued me.
她起訴了我
I went to court.
我上了法庭
I had to listen to her say a lot of terrible things about me.
不得不承受她對我的控訴謾罵
It was a difficult process, as you can well imagine.
你能想象,這過程很不好受
Gerald's son, Joey...
杰拉德的兒子,喬伊
he was only 17 back then.
當時只有17歲
He wrote me a letter.
他給我寫了一封信
He said that he didn't blame me, that it wasn't my fault.
信上說他不怪我,這不是我的錯
That he forgave me.
說他原諒了我
At the time, it meant a lot.
在那時,這對我來說意義重大
Is this the first time he's asked you for money?
這是他第一次問你要錢嗎
He needed a car to get back and forth from college.
他之前念大學時要買輛車方便回家
His mother needed him around a lot.
他母親需要他的陪伴
Detective?
警探
Hey. I'm at Cyril Nauer's apartment.
我在西里爾·納爾的公寓里
There's some stuff here I think you should see.
這里有些東西你該來看看
Okay, so, that's Cyril Nauer's place right there, second floor.
那是西里爾·納爾的公寓,在二樓
Figured I'd just poke around,
我在房間四處查看
see if I could find any more black bulbs
想看能否發現和你在菲利克斯·索托家
like the one you found at Felix Soto's place.
找到的相同的黑光燈泡
There weren't, but I managed to find this in one of the fixtures.
結果沒有,但我在他家找到了這個
Is that a bug?
那是竊聽器嗎
CSU is going over everything with a fine-toothed comb.
犯罪現場小組正在進行地毯式搜索
But obviously, someone was listening in on Mr. Nauer.
但很顯然,有人在監聽納爾先生
Think they might have been watching him, as well.
我想他們同時也在監視他
That's a municipal building. Those cameras are theirs.
那是市政大樓,攝像頭是他們的
Even the one pointing directly at his apartment?
那個正對著他公寓的也是嗎
Taxi!
出租車
Where you going?
你去哪
Up.
上面
What the hell do you think you're doing?
你要做什么
Keep your vehicle perfectly still,
讓你的車乖乖停穩
I'll give you $20 for going absolutely nowhere.
你哪也不用去我就會給你二十塊錢
Yeah.
好了
Signal jumper.
信號跨接線
Someone's been using it to hijack that camera's video feed,
有人用這東西攔截了攝制的視頻
broadcast it to a remote location.
把視頻傳送到了另外的地方
Presumably the same person who put a listening device
大概和在納爾先生家里安竊聽裝置的
inside Mr. Nauer's apartment.
是同一個人
Good news is,
好消息是
the jumper's transmissions can be traced
這個跨接線的信號可以反追蹤
back to a receiver. You find the receiver...
到它的接收器,找到接收器
Find the person who's been spying on Nauer.
就找到了監視納爾的人
Detective Bell?
貝爾警探
I'm Linus Roe.
我是萊納斯·洛
I was told you wanted to speak with me.
聽說你想跟我談談
Your web site says that
你們的網站上說
Roe Encryption Technologies offers the highest level
洛氏加密技術公司能夠為網絡零售商
encryption services for online retailers,
銀行以及投資公司提供
banks and investment firms.
最高水平的加密服務
No mention there of illegal surveillance.
但可沒有說提供非法監視
I can't imagine why there would be.
我們為什么要提到這個
Because your company's been filming
因為你們公司偷拍了
Cyril Nauer in his home.
西里爾·納爾在他家里的一舉一動
I'm sorry. Am I supposed to know that name?
抱歉,我該認識這個人嗎
We found a signal jumper on a camera
我們在納爾先生家外的一個攝像頭上
just outside Mr. Nauer's apartment.
發現了一個信號跨接線
Now, the department's Technical Assistance Response Unit says
警局的技術協助反應小組說
it was broadcasting to your company's server.
信號是被傳送到了你們公司的服務器上
I don't know anything about that.
我對這事毫不知情
Well, someone here knows something about it, Mr. Roe.
你們公司肯定有人知道這事,洛先生
And that person may even be responsible
而且那個人可能就是殺害
for Mr. Nauer's death.
納爾先生的兇手
Cyril Nauer is dead?
西里爾·納爾死了
I thought you said you didn't know him.
你剛才不是說你不認識他嗎
Okay, you're right.
好吧,你們是對的
We were monitoring Cyril Nauer.
我們的確在監視西里爾·納爾
It was my idea.
是我的主意
But I am telling you that no one at this company
但是我敢說我們公司里的人
would hurt him, not in a million years.
絕不會傷害他,永遠都不會
All right, well, back up.
好了,言歸正傳
Start with why you were spying on him.
先說說你們為什么要監視他
Because of his work on something called P versus NP.
是因為他的P對NP問題的研究
It's... Filthy maths.
是,神秘的數學問題
Virtually unsolvable, worth a million dollars.
幾乎無法解決,懸賞一百萬美元
Yes, we're familiar with it.
我們很了解這個
Is that why you were surveilling him?
這就是你們監視他的原因嗎
Because your company needed money?
因為你們公司需要錢
You're thinking of the Millennium Prize, right?
你是在想千禧年獎是吧
No.
不是的
A solve for P versus NP is only worth...
P對NP的解決方法對他們來說
a million to them.
只值一百萬
To us, it's worth tens, maybe hundreds more.
但對于我們,那可值上千萬甚至上億
I mean, mathematicians are drawn to P versus NP
數學家們深深地被這個問題所吸引
because it's math's great white whale,
因為這是數學領域難以攀越的高峰
but the truth is...
但事實上
a solution would have massive real world implications.
它的解決方法會對現實世界產生極大影響
Such as?
比如
A correct proof would essentially render
此問題正確的證明基本上
all modern encryption obsolete.
能使所有現代的加密方法都失效
With the right software,
配合相應的軟件
you could hack into any system in the world.
你就能侵入世界上所有的系統
They won't be able to stop you.
誰也無法阻止你
It's one equation. How is that possible?
這就是一個等式,怎么可能這么厲害
Encryption consists of setting up problems
所謂加密就是設定一些很難的問題
so complicated that a computer can't solve them.
從而讓計算機無法解出
Solving P versus NP lets you
而解決了P對NP問題,你就可以
run through the possible answer fast enough to crack the code.
很快地篩選完所有結果從而破解密碼
I mean, you could come and go as you please
你可以任意進出世界上
through any server on the planet.
任何一臺服務器
It's a skeleton key.
它是一把萬能鑰匙
It's the key to building the skeleton key.
它是創造萬能鑰匙的鑰匙
I mean, once you had the solution,
當你有了解決方法
you'd still need to write the code to apply it.
你還需要編寫相應的代碼來運用它
The digital world would be your oyster.
虛擬世界就盡在你掌握之中了
You're saying a solution would make your company
你是說這個解決方法能夠讓你的公司
about as useful as a Pet Rock?
平白致富
Certainly sounds like the kind of thing
而處于你這個位置來說
a man in your position would kill to prevent.
肯定會不惜一切代價不讓它公之于眾
You don't understand.
你沒理解
I wanted Cyril to solve P versus NP.
我希望西里爾能夠解決P對NP問題
I approached him months ago because I believed
我幾個月前找過他,因為我相信
if anyone could solve it, it would be him.
如果有人能解決這個問題,肯定就是他
I offered to fund his work on the condition
我提供資金供他研究
that if he did solve it,
條件是如果他解決了這個問題
we would keep the proof under wraps.
就不公開證明文件
At least until he helped me to design...
至少在他幫我設計出相應的
cryptography to defeat it.
應對辦法之前不公開
So Roe Encryption would be proof-proof.
這樣洛氏加密技術公司有矛又有盾
The only company in the world capable of defending
成為世界上唯一一家能夠對付
against P versus NP technology.
P對NP技術的公司
Oh, Cyril refused.
西里爾拒絕了
Money didn't mean anything to him.
金錢對他來說不值一提
He wanted the acclaim.
他想要的是名譽
But when we found out that he was working with
但是當我們發現他在和一個
a man named Felix Soto, we...
叫菲利克斯·索托的人合作研究時
infiltrated his home, as well.
我們潛入了他的家里
We took some photos of the work they'd done.
對他的工作成果拍了一些照片
It was a total waste of time.
但這完全是浪費時間
They weren't anywhere near a solution.
他們對解決方法毫無頭緒
That's not our understanding.
據我們所知可不是這樣
We took the pictures to an expert.
我們把照片給了一個專家看
She said they were nowhere near figuring it out.
她說他們離解決問題還差得很遠
Can you tell us her name?
能告訴我們她的名字嗎
Uh, Tanya Barrett.
唐雅·巴雷特
She wrote a bunch of articles
她在幾年前寫了很多
on P versus NP a few years ago.
關于P對NP問題的論文
You talk to her, she'll confirm everything I just told you.
你們去找她吧,她能證實我所說的一切
I'm sorry I didn't tell you everything I knew yesterday.
很抱歉我昨天沒有向你們全盤托出
I just didn't think my work with Linus had anything to do
我只是覺得我和萊納斯的合作
with Felix Soto's death.
同菲利克斯·索托的死沒有聯系
Did you know when you reviewed the pictures of their work
你在看他們工作成果的照片時
that they had been obtained illegally?
知道是通過非法手段取得的嗎
I had a feeling, but I didn't press it.
我有這種感覺,但我沒問
The university had cut two of my classes this year.
這個學年學校削減了我兩個班的課程
I needed the money.
我需要錢
It's my understanding that you told Mr. Roe that the calculations were no good.
你跟洛先生說他們的研究不順利
That was a lie, correct?
這是在說謊,對吧
From the second I saw it,
我一看到那些照片
I knew that the work was Felix and Cyril's.
就知道這是菲利克斯和西里爾的成果
They had taken P versus NP
他們對P對NP問題的研究
farther than I'd ever seen anyone.
領先于所有人
And still, they were only a third of the way through.
但是,他們只完成了三分之一的研究
They had years of work ahead of them.
還有許多年才能完成
I thought if I told Linus that the work was bogus,
我想如果我告訴萊納斯他們的研究沒有用
that he'd back off.
他就會放棄
I knew it was wrong.
我知道這樣做不對
But so was what Linus was doing.
但萊納斯的做法也不對
I guess I convinced myself that one bad thing
我對自己說這樣做
could cancel out another.
就負負得正了
You're a dog owner, correct?
你養了只狗,對嗎
Boston terrier?
波士頓梗犬
How'd you know that?
你怎么知道的
You registered him with the city
2010年你獲取寵物許可證時
when you procured a pet license in 2010.
向政府注冊過
We found some dog hairs
我們在西里爾·納爾尸體上
on Cyril Nauer's body that we think
發現了一些狗毛
were transferred from the killer.
我們認為是從兇手身上來的
DNA test showed it came from a Boston terrier.
DNA檢測表明是波士頓梗犬的毛
Guess what else you registered with the city.
猜猜你還向政府注冊了什么
millimeter handgun in 2009.
2009年注冊了一把九毫米口徑手槍 .9
It's precisely the same kind of weapon
恰好是兩天前的晚上射中
used to perforate Misters Soto and Nauer two nights ago.
索托先生和納爾先生的兇器
This gun was stolen from my apartment last month.
那把槍上個月從我的公寓被偷了
There was a burglary. I filed...
是一起入室盜竊,我提交了
You filed a police report. Yes, we know.
你提交了一份警方報告,我們知道
Only, the gun wasn't stolen, was it?
只是,那把槍沒被偷,對吧
You wanted to be able to say it was
你想在有人把你和那兩起謀殺
in the event someone linked you to the two murders.
聯系起來時說那把槍丟了
Maybe you thought you could build
也許你認為你可以
on what Soto and Nauer had done.
在索托和納爾的基礎上繼續研究
Carry their ball over the goal line.
借助他們贏得最后的勝利
In great success, you claim the Millennium Prize
你會大獲成功,獲得千禧技術獎
and one million dollars.
和一百萬美金
Maybe you were hoping to sell the solution
也許你想要把解法賣給
to Linus Roe yourself someday, make even more money.
萊納斯·洛,掙更多的錢
This is insane.
這太瘋狂了
I didn't kill anyone.
我沒殺任何人
Then you shouldn't have any problem accounting
那你應該可以輕松地說出
for your whereabouts between
你兩天前的晚上
and 10:00 P.M. two nights ago.
九點到十點之間在哪 9:00
I was at dinner with a friend in Midtown.
我和一個朋友在市中心吃晚飯
I got to the restaurant around 8:30.
我大概八點半到了餐廳
I didn't leave until after 10:30.
直到十點半我才離開
My friend's name is Wayne Kaneshiro.
我朋友的名字叫韋恩·金城
I suggest you contact him.
我想你們可以跟他聯系
So, still trying to track Wayne Kaneshiro down,
還在試圖尋找韋恩·金城
but in the meantime, I reached out to that restaurant
但與此同時,我去了巴雷特女士
Ms. Barrett said she went to.
聲稱她去的那個餐廳
They said they'd e-mail me the security footage
他們說會把那天晚上的安保錄像
from two nights ago.
用電郵發給我
There we go.
就是這個
I see two underage drinkers,
我看到兩個喝酒的未成年人
an affair-in-progress and a bartender
一個搞外遇的,還有一個
who's been stealing from the till.
從錢箱里偷錢的酒保
Not a single college professor.
一個大學教授都沒有
Hold up.
停下
Hold up.
停下
8點37分
8:37.
That's about 20 minutes before Felix Soto was shot.
那是菲利克斯·索托被槍殺前二十分鐘
Skip to the end.
跳到結尾
See when she leaves.
看她是什么時候走的
She was telling the truth.
她說的是實話
She's not our shooter.
她不是我們要找的兇手
So, you won't go for a jog along the river
你不愿意去河邊慢跑
but you will do sit-ups facing a wall at 2:00 a.M.
卻在凌晨兩點對著墻作仰臥起坐
Detective Bell texted to say that he had located
貝爾警探發短信來說他找到了
Tanya Barrett's dining companion,
跟唐雅·巴雷特一起吃晚飯的人
Wayne Kaneshiro.
韋恩·金城
As if the video evidence weren't enough,
正如錄像證據顯示的
he has confirmed that he was with her
他確認在案發當晚的
between 8:30 and 10:30 the night of the murders.
8點半到10點半他跟她在一起
We remain devoid of a suspect.
我們還是沒有嫌疑人
Calisthenics stimulates the heart,
柔軟體操可以刺激心臟
which increases blood flow to the frontal lobe,
這可以促進血液流向額葉
which stimulates deductive thinking.
能夠促進推理思考
Also, the river smells like rancid cod.
還有,那條河聞起來像腐爛的鱈魚
What is up with the nerd brigade?
那些書呆子是怎么回事
These are the other contenders to the P versus NP throne.
那些是欲解開P對NP問題的其他競爭者
We may be wrong about Tanya,
也許唐雅的確不是兇手
but perhaps we were right about the killer's motive.
但我們對兇手動機的推測可能還是對的
Well, how would they have known, uh,
那他們怎么知道
how much progress Soto and Nauer made? I mean...
索托和納爾進展如何,我是說
you don't think there were more people spying on them, do you?
你不會覺得還有別人在監視他們吧
Watson, conundrum. Conundrum, Watson.
華生,難題,難題,華生
Oh.
對了
On another matter, and against my better judgment,
另一件事,盡管有違我的判斷
I've decided to advance you the money that you requested.
我還是決定給你預支你要的那些錢
Oh. Thanks.
謝了
Uh, why-why "against your better judgment"?
為什么有違你的判斷
You don't think it the least bit coincidental
你不覺得你和卡斯特羅先生
that both you and young Mr. Castoro decided to visit
在他父親生日的第二天在墓地相遇
the cemetery the day after his father's birthday?
太巧合了嗎
Yes. Of course I do.
我當然覺得了
But you still want to give him the money.
但你仍然決定給他錢
It's complicated. You don't know him. I also know--
這很復雜,你不了解他,我還知道
as does he-- that you blame yourself for the man's death.
他也知道,你為他父親的死自責
Because it was my fault.
因為那是我的錯
It was an accident.
那是個意外
And as loathe as I am to admit it, accidents happen.
盡管我不愿意承認,但意外時有發生
Joey's goodwill
對喬伊表示善意
obviously means a great deal to you.
顯然對你來說很重要
But the fact that he has on more than one occasion
但他不止一次提到錢的事
attached a dollar figure reveals his character.
揭示了他的本性
Or at least it does to me.
至少對我來說是這樣
I'm an expert on poisons, Watson.
我是毒藥專家,華生
I know virtually everything there is to know about them.
我幾乎知道關于毒藥的一切
But I've come to learn over the last few years
但這幾年我學到的事是
that there is nothing on this planet quite so toxic as guilt.
世上毒性最大的就是內疚
Are you gonna advance me the money or not?
你到底給不給我預支錢
It's in that box.
錢在盒子里
Hey. There's over $20,000 in here.
那里有超過兩萬美元
I only asked for $5,000.
我只要了五千
It's every scrap of cash I currently have at my disposal.
那是我手上的所有現金
Consider the difference a kind of... buyout.
把它當作一次"買斷"吧
It's a no-strings-attached transaction which will represent
這次交易以后你和喬伊
the end of all business between you and Joey.
從此再無瓜葛
I-I don't understand.
我不明白
It's quite simple, really.
其實很簡單
I'm providing you with the means
我在給你提供一個
to buy the young man out of your life.
讓那個年輕人不再出現的方法
He gets the money he needs, you get
他得到他需要的錢,你得到
the peace of mind knowing that he'll never approach you again.
知道他不會再找你的內心的平靜
I told you. I don't mind that he approached me.
我說過了,我不介意他來找我
I do. You've made your mistakes, Watson. So have I.
我介意,你犯過錯誤,我也是
And if there's anything that's become apparent during our time together,
在共事的這段時間我認清了一件事
it's that the great majority of those mistakes
那些錯誤的絕大部分
belong firmly in the past. Hmm?
都只屬于過去,對吧
Take the money. Use it.
把錢拿去,用掉它
Consider it my gift to you.
當作我給你的禮物
Have you considered that Tanya Barrett
你有沒有考慮過唐雅·巴雷特
might be working with a partner?
也許有一個同伙
Somebody who committed the crimes for her
當她在市中心制造不在場證明時
while she alibied herself in Midtown?
替她去犯罪
Considered and discarded.
考慮過但又否定了
Why go to the trouble of allying yourself with a partner
為什么要費心跟一個同伙結盟
and then arming them with a weapon
而且還讓他用一把
that can be traced back to you?
能追蹤到你身上的武器
Hmm, you're right.
你說得對
That would only make it easier to connect her to the crimes.
那只會讓她更容易跟罪案聯系起來
Unless, of course, that's the intention.
當然,除非那就是目的
What if Ms. Barrett is our
如果有人想讓
lead suspect because someone wants her to be?
巴雷特女士成為我們的首要嫌疑人呢
Are you saying someone's trying to frame her?
你是說有人想陷害她嗎
Professor Barrett, might I have a word?
巴雷特教授,我能跟你說句話嗎
I'm late for a class, Mr. Holmes.
我上課要遲到了,福爾摩斯先生
And I don't feel like being accused of any more murders.
而且我也不想再接受更多謀殺指控了
All of my accusations were based on multiple pieces of evidence
我所有的指控都建立在
pointing firmly in your direction.
多份明確指向你的證據上
I've started to think that might not be a coincidence.
我在想這可能不是個巧合
What are you talking about?
你什么意思
Did you happen to mention to anyone else
你有沒有不小心跟別人說過
that you had seen Cyril and Felix's work, hmm?
你見過西里爾和菲利克斯的成果
Anyone who might have felt threatened by their progress?
任何會因他們的進展感到威脅的人
No, of course not.
沒有,當然沒有
Do you have any enemies?
你有什么敵人嗎
Jilted lover, perhaps?
或許是被你拋棄的愛人
Or a student unhappy with a very bad grade?
或許是為你給分太低而不高興的學生
Are you saying you think I've been framed?
你是說你覺得我被陷害了嗎
I'm saying it might explain
我是說這或許能解釋
why you're such an alluring suspect.
為什么你的嫌疑這么大
No. This is crazy.
不,這不可能
You're thinking of someone.
你想到了某人
Who is it?
是誰
I got out of a long-term relationship a few months ago.
我幾個月前剛剛結束了一段很長時間的戀情
My ex, Jason, was very upset.
我的前男友,杰森,非常生氣
He sent me a couple of e-mails.
他給我發了不少郵件
Threatening ones?
威脅郵件
I didn't take it personally.
我沒當真
He's always had a temper.
他一直脾氣不好
I just thought he was letting off steam.
我以為他是在發泄
These e-mails. Do you think I might be able to see them?
我可以看看那些郵件嗎
Give me your e-mail address and a couple of hours,
把你的郵箱地址給我,等過幾個小時
and I'll forward you the e-mails when my class lets out.
我下課后就把那些郵件轉發給你
Good morning!
早上好
I'm sorry. I don't know either of them.
抱歉,他們倆我都不認識
Their names were Felix Soto and Cyril Nauer.
他們的名字是菲利克斯·索托和西里爾·納爾
Ring any bells?
想起來了嗎
But you were romantically involved with Tanya Barrett.
但你曾和唐雅·巴雷特交往過
Yes, until a few months ago.
是的,幾個月前剛分手
Who ended the relationship?
誰提的分手
Tanya. What's all this about anyway?
唐雅,你們到底想問什么
It's our understanding it was a pretty... nasty split.
我們聽說你們倆鬧得非常不愉快
There were some...
是有些...
unpleasant moments,
不大愉快的時候
like most breakups. Why?
就跟所有人分手一樣,怎么了
Tanya was nice enough to share with us
唐雅非常好心地給我們
some of the e-mails that you sent.
看了一些你發的郵件
On November the 11th, 2012, you wrote,
2012年11月11日,你寫道
"You'll be sorry you let me go.
你會后悔放棄我的
You've made a serious mistake""
你犯了一個嚴重的錯誤
Uh, December 3, 2012:
2012年12月3日
"You deserve to be hurt the way that you hurt me."
你應該嘗嘗你對我造成的傷害是什么滋味
Is Tanya trying to get a restraining order or something?
唐雅是想要申請限制令還是別的什么嗎
Because I'm telling you right now...
因為我跟你們說...
These two men were shot and killed
這兩個人兩天前
with a .9 millimeter handgun two days ago.
被一把0.9毫米口徑的槍殺害了
We think that whoever murdered them
我們覺得殺人兇手
may be trying to frame Tanya for the crimes.
也許想要陷害唐雅
What are you talking about?
你們什么意思
You think I shot these guys?
你們以為他們是我殺的
Just because Tanya dumped me?
就因為唐雅甩了我
Jason, we know you knew them.
杰森,我們清楚你認識他們倆
Tanya told us you met them back
唐雅告訴我們
when she was writing her articles for P versus NP.
她在寫P對NP問題的文章時你見過他們
I've never seen these guys before in my life.
我從沒見過這兩個人
Your e-mails tell a different story.
你的郵件顯示的可不一樣
The threats you made against Tanya were enough for us
你寫給唐雅的威脅郵件
to get a warrant to search your account.
足夠我們申請搜查令查閱你的郵件了
In another e-mail you wrote in 2010,
在你2010年寫的另一封郵件里
you complained about
你抱怨被逼著去
getting dragged to interviews she was doing for her articles,
她因文章接受的采訪
you mention Mr. Soto and Mr. Nauer by name,
你提到了索托先生和納爾先生的名字
and you accuse her of caring more
然后你還抱怨她對P對NP問題
about P versus NP than she did your relationship.
比對你倆感情還關心
I didn't write this.
這不是我寫的
Nor did you place an online order
你今天也沒有在網上訂購
for .9 millimeter ammunition earlier today.
0.9毫米口徑的手槍是吧
Here's the confirmation,
這是證明
in case you want to re-familiarize yourself.
以防你不記得了
Makes me think maybe
我不禁想你是不是
you had a couple more mathematicians in your crosshairs.
還想殺害別的數學家
He wants a lawyer.
他要求請一個律師
Oh, one probably isn't gonna be enough.
一個可能不大夠
I just got a call from Stuyvesant Memorial.
我剛剛接到史岱文森紀念醫院的電話
That mugger that got shot outside of Felix Soto's place?
那個在菲利克斯·索托門口被槍擊的搶劫犯
The one who didn't stand a chance in hell?
完全沒可能活下來的那個人
He's awake.
他醒了
Get his statement before he takes another turn.
在他再次不行前給他錄份口供
He identifies Jason Harrison as his shooter,
如果他指認杰森·哈里森為兇手
we got him.
那他就跑不掉了
Look, man, I'm just saying,
伙計,我就是說說
why don't you talk to the D.A.
你們為什么不去找地區檢察官談談
Yeah, tell him to go easy on me.
告訴他放我一馬
Or maybe you can describe the person who shoot you
或許你應該描述一下拿槍打你的那人
and take comfort in the knowledge they won't be back to finish the job.
然后為他不會再回來殺你而寬心
She about five-six, mid-30s,
要我猜的話,她大約一米六七左右
if I had to guess.
三十幾歲
You said "she."
你是說"她"
Yeah, she.
是的,她
Long brown hair,
棕色長發
glasses.
戴眼鏡
Yeah, that's her.
對,就是她
That's the bitch shot me.
就是這個賤人開槍打的我
Right after she shot that other dude in the house.
就在她開槍打死屋里那個人之后
Are you positive?
你確定嗎
She was standing two feet from me.
她離我就半米遠
All right? That's her.
好吧,就是她
No doubt.
錯不了
Benny Charles insists
本尼·查爾斯堅持說
he was shot by Tanya Barrett.
是唐雅·巴雷特向他開槍的
She, of course, has an alibi.
而她,很顯然,有不在場證明
She was dining with Wayne Kaneshiro at the time
那時候她正在和韋恩·金城吃飯
and could not have shot Charles, Soto or Nauer.
不可能去殺查爾斯,索托或者納爾
And yet...
但是...
further analysis of the hairs found on Nauer's body
對納爾身上發現的毛發的進一步分析
have confirmed that they don't come from
證實那不是
just any Boston terrier,
隨便的哪只波士頓梗犬
but the one owned by Ms. Barrett.
而正是巴雷特女士所養的那只
She also once owned the same type of handgun
她也曾經擁有一把
used to commit the murders.
和作案槍支一樣的手槍
Jason Harrison, meanwhile,
而杰森·哈里森
he has means and motive to frame Tanya.
他有陷害唐雅的動機和方法
Several e-mails seem to implicate him.
很多郵件也都牽扯到他
But Benny Charles insists
但是本尼·查爾斯卻堅持說
he was shot by Tanya Barrett.
是唐雅·巴雷特向他開槍的
Who has an alibi.
而她有不在場證明
You know we're going in circles here, right?
你知道我們在這兒原地打轉,是吧
We're in a roundabout.
我們是交通環島里
We just need to find the proper exit.
只需要找到正確的出口
You're not gonna take my advice, are you?
你不打算采納我的建議是吧
You're not gonna pay Joey to go away.
不打算用錢打發喬伊
I think there are better ways to spend $22,000.
我覺得這兩萬兩千美元還有更好的用處
You could buy 8,800 beers, for example.
比如說你可以買八千八百杯啤酒
Mm, tempting.
真誘人
But no.
不過算了
So we're gonna continue
所以你要繼續
to let him utilize you as his own personal ATM.
讓他利用你當私人提款機
I didn't say that.
我可沒這么說
You said 8,800 beers, right?
你說八千八百杯啤酒,是吧
That's only $2.50 a beer.
也就是說一杯啤酒才2.5美元
That's what the fat man paid.
那個胖子就付了這么多錢
Put down ten dollars,
扔下十美元
left with four beers.
拿走了四杯啤酒
That's pretty cheap, isn't it?
這還真是很便宜啊,不是嗎
Cheap beer, presumably.
可能就是廉價啤酒吧
Yeah, but this is New York,
可我們這是在紐約
and that isn't exactly a dive bar.
而且這也不是那種廉價酒吧
The only time you see drinks that cheap
酒水這么便宜只可能
is during happy hour.
酒吧提供的優惠時段是在歡樂時光
But the time is exactly...
可顯示的時間卻是...
Time stamp says 9:46.
時間戳顯示是9點46分
Yeah.
對啊
Digital time stamp.
數碼時間戳
You forgot to carry the one.
你忘記進位了
Only joking.
說笑罷了
I'm sure your maths is impeccable.
我相信你的數學能力無懈可擊
Your plan to get away with two murders, however...
不過你想擺脫兩宗謀殺的計劃就...
Are you out of your minds?
你在說什么瘋話呢
The other day, you told us you had dinner
前幾天你告訴我們你跟一個朋友
with a friend in Midtown.
在市中心共進晚餐
You said you were there between 8:30
你說用餐時間是從8點半
and 10:30, only you weren't.
到10點半,可并非如此
You were there between 5:30 and 7:30.
其實是從5點半到7點半
Oh, that's ridiculous.
真是太荒謬了
You said you got the footage
你們不是從餐廳
from the security cameras in the restaurant.
拿到了監控錄像嗎
And it did confirm your alibi.
那確實證實了你的不在場證明
According to the date-time stamp,
根據錄像上的時間戳
you and your friend, Mr. Kaneshiro,
你跟你朋友,金城先生
arrive at 8:37 and leave at 10:44.
8點37分到達,10點44分離開
Then I don't understand. Why are you harassing me?
那我就不懂了,你們干嘛還來煩我
When we met with Linus Roe the other day, he explained to us
之前我們見萊納斯·洛時,他說過
that aside from its applications
P對NP的解法除了
in the world of theoretical maths,
在理論數學上的應用
the solution to P versus NP
還會有更多
would have very real consequences,
在計算機科學方面
very practical consequences, for computer science.
非常實用的應用成果
It would be child's play, for example,
比如,你可以易如反掌地
to hack the hard drive
黑進一家
which stores and records security footage
市中心餐廳存儲和記錄
in a Midtown restaurant
監控錄像的硬盤
and add three hours to the date-time stamp.
并在日期時間戳上加三個小時
A few days ago, we thought that
幾天前,我們以為
you killed Felix Soto and Cyril Nauer
你因為想自己破解P對NP問題
in the hopes of solving P versus NP yourself someday.
而殺害了菲利克斯·索托和西里爾·納爾
Now we know you killed them because you'd already solved it.
現在我們知道你殺他們是因為你已經破解了
You teamed up with a computer programmer,
你跟一個電腦程序員合作
who could write the code
讓他寫代碼
required to steal several hundred million dollars
幫你從不同的金融機構
from various financial institutions.
偷取上億美金
Problem was, he needed time
問題在于,他需要時間
to write the appropriate code for each one.
為不同金融機構寫不同的代碼
Time that you feared
而當你得知
you might not have when you learned that
納爾跟索托距離他們自己的
Nauer and Soto were just a hop, skip and a jump
解決方案只有一步之遙時
away from their own solution to P versus NP.
你就擔心時間不夠了
You killed them, lest they take their work public
你殺了他們,唯恐他們公布研究成果
and send shockwaves through the digital security industry.
會給數字安保行業帶來革命性的改變
I don't know where you're getting this.
我不知道你是從哪聽說的
Wayne Kaneshiro
是韋恩·金城
is where we're getting this.
告訴我們的
Your dinner date from the other night.
就是你那天晚上的晚餐約會對象
And the computer programmer
他就是跟你合作的
you've been working with.
那個程序員
Mr. Kaneshiro had written code
金城先生給你寫了代碼
which allowed you to hack your ex's e-mail...
讓你得以進入你前男友的郵箱
plant incriminating letters.
栽贓暗示他有罪的郵件
He'd given Detective Bell a statement saying
他告訴貝爾警探
that the two of you were in the restaurant
你們倆在餐廳的時間是
between the hours of 8:30 and 10:30.
8點半到10點半之間
Once we were able to demonstrate that was a lie,
當我們證明他是在說謊時
he told us everything.
他就全招了
Hey, sorry I'm late. That's okay.
不好意思我來晚了,沒關系
So, you said on the phone you had news.
你電話里說你有消息告訴我
I've decided to make an investment.
我決定要投資了
This is huge.
太棒了
Um, seriously, I told my partner...
說真的,我就跟我的搭檔說...
I'm not investing in the bar, Joey.
我不是要投資酒吧,喬伊
I'm investing in you.
我是要給你投資
You know, before your father's surgery, he and I
你知道在你父親動手術以前,他跟我
spent a lot of time together.
一起度過了很多時光
But what you probably don't know is how much we talked about you.
但你可能不知道我們聊了很多你的事
He was so proud that you were gonna become an engineer,
他很驕傲你要成為一個工程師
and then when you earned that scholarship, he was...
當你拿到那份獎學金時,他...
Anyway, listen, I want to offer you a new scholarship.
反正,我想提供一份新的獎學金給你
A check for $22,000--
兩萬二千美金的支票
enough to finish your undergraduate degree.
足夠你念完本科了
Um, that is a...
這真是個...
a very generous offer.
非常慷慨的提議
But school just isn't for me right now. Maybe after...
但我現在不想念書,也許等我...
That is the only help that I feel comfortable offering.
我只愿意給你提供這樣的幫助
So you... you clearly have the cash...
所以你明明是有錢的
but you'll only let me have it if I do what you think is right.
但只有我按你的想法去做才能給我
I want to do what's right by your dad. My dad.
是你爸希望你這么做,我爸 -
The one guy who isn't here right now to help me
他現在沒法在這幫我
because of you.
全是因為你
I'm sorry. Just...
真抱歉,我...
You don't deserve that.
我不該這么說你
I will support you in whatever you do.
不管你做什么我都會支持你
If you open up a bar, it'll be my new watering hole.
要是你開個酒吧,我會經常去光顧
If you need to talk, I am just a phone call away.
要是你想找人聊聊,可以隨時打電話給我
But I am only going to pay for your education.
但我只會為你的學業付錢
So you tell me,
現在你告訴我
what do you want?
你想要什么
Hey. What are you doing?
嗨,你在干嘛呢
I am taking one last look at P versus NP.
我在看P對NP問題最后一眼
What do you mean, "last look"?
為什么說是最后一眼
The NSA has asked the NYPD to surrender...
國家安全局要求紐約警局上交
everything and anything pertaining to the problem,
所有跟此問題相關的一切
including Tanya Barrett.
包括唐雅·巴雷特
They want her in federal custody?
他們要把她移至聯邦監禁
They claim it's in the interest of protecting the country
他們聲稱是要保護國家利益
against her breakthrough.
不被她的成果破壞
She alleges she never kept any hard copies,
她說她從未留有任何紙質記錄
and she says she will only explain her work
而且要對她從輕發落她才愿意
in exchange for a deal.
解釋她的研究
District attorney, however, has little interest.
不過地方檢察官不太有興趣
So it seems, in spite of everything...
所以看來這些證據
the proof may not usher modern encryption
最終還是不會將現代加密技術
into obsolescence after all.
推向另一個高峰了
How was coffee?
咖啡喝得怎樣
Joey said that he would think about my offer,
喬伊說他會考慮我的提議
but I am not holding my breath.
但我沒抱很大希望
I thought your plan was quite clever.
我覺得你的計劃挺聰明的
You demonstrated your goodwill without allowing him
你展現了自己的善良,也防止他
to take further advantage.
再占你便宜
You know that if he had taken me up on that offer,
你知道如果他答應接受那筆錢
I was going to pay you back, right?
我是打算還錢給你的,對吧
You know I have about as much interest in money
你也知道我對錢跟對赫梅爾陶俑一樣
as I do Hummel figurines.
沒多大興趣
Either way, thank you.
不管怎樣,都謝謝你
You know, I-I'd quite like to go with you next time.
下次我很愿意跟你一起去
To the cemetery.
去墓地
Obviously,
很顯然
the mistake that you made, it, uh...
你犯的那個錯誤
changed the course of your life.
改變了你的人生
The man seems to have left quite an impression, as well.
那個人似乎也對你影響很大
I'd just like to pay my respects.
我就是想表示一下尊敬
I'd like that.
好啊