The trial starts tomorrow.
明天就開審了
I can bring you up to speed on it. The facts are straightforward.
我會讓你很快進入狀態,事情很簡單
And why can't Tara do it?
為什么不讓塔拉做?
Well, Tara's a junior associate.
塔拉級別太低
This trial's gonna be in the news. It's hardly the kind of case that...
新聞會轉播這次的審判,這種案子很難?
Brad, it isn't the case so much as it is the client, right? Brad
比起案子本身,重要的是客戶,對嗎?
And it isn't who she is so much as what she is, right?
同樣,比起她是誰,重要的是她怎么了,對嗎?
What is she, Brad?
她究竟怎么了,布拉德?
Can't you even say the word?
你一句話都說不出?
I can say it. Well, what is she, Brad?
我當然能說,那么,她怎么了,布拉德?
She's a...
她是個?
homosexual.
同性戀
And what's the word for a female homosexual?
女性同性戀是哪個單詞呢?
Lesbian. I couldn't really hear that.
女同性戀,我聽不到
She's a lesbian!
她是個拉拉,
You don't want to do the case because your client's a lesbian.
你不想接這個案子,就因為客戶是拉拉
Lori, this is a high-profile case. Lori
這個案子廣受矚目
I have worked my entire life to associate with decency and what is good for America.
我畢生都致力于,正派且對美國有益的事情
And lesbians are bad for America.
而女同性戀對美國不利
They have bad values.
她們有害無益
Reflects poorly on all of us.
折射出我們丑惡面
As a nation.
從國家來看
Now, would you like to tell me the real reason?
現在能說真正的原因了嗎
What do you mean?
什么意思?
I know for a fact you've represented gay clients before.
我知道你代理過男同性戀
Not on television, not in the news.
不是在電視上,也沒在新聞里
Brad, we're friends. Brad
我們是朋友
Level with me.
說實話
What is it about this particular lesbian?
這個拉拉有什么特殊?
I'm attracted to her.
我迷上她了
Why does Shirley get to skip the staff meetings?
為什么雪莉能不開會
She's got a trial in New York later this week, so she has a busy day.
下半周她要在紐約上庭,今天她忙得很
Some of us have trials today,
我們這有人今天就要上庭
so if you don't mind, I'd like to cut out.
如果你不介意,我想消失了
What's your case about, Brad?
什么案子,布拉德?
What is it about?
是關于什么的
It involves interference with contractual relations.
是關于干預契約關系
You mean...
你的意思是?
lesbians.
拉拉,
Where are you?
進行到哪了?
Today they're calling Tracey to testify that her ex-lover was...
今天他們傳喚特蕾西,要證明她前愛人是?
lesbian ex-lover.
前同性愛人
To testify that Tracey was scamming her for money.
要證明特蕾西在設計騙她的錢
Tracey was, in fact, not an actual bona fide...
而特蕾西實際上并非真正的
lesbian?
拉拉?
You like saying it. I do.
你很喜歡這詞,我很喜歡
Say it again. Lesbian.
那就再說一遍,拉拉
Keep going. Lesbian, lesbian...
繼續說,拉拉,拉拉
lesbian.
拉拉
All together now.
現在大家一起說
Lesbian.
拉拉
I also like to watch. How many people are lesbian?
我還想看看,多少人是拉拉
All right, that's enough. This is a staff meeting.
好了,夠了,現在是在開會
I'll ask you all to conduct yourselves appropriately and professionally.
我希望大家注意自己的,言行得體和專業
Cookies, everyone.
餅干來了
Nourishment is most important in the morning.
早上的營養最重要
Who is this woman? Take two, Tara.
這個女人是誰? 多拿兩塊,塔拉
You're a rail. Who is this woman?
你簡直是根竹竿,這個女人是誰?
The ones on the left have a little bran
左邊那些摻了點麥麩
to help our older lawyers with their routine.
有助于上年紀的律師日常排泄
Who is this woman?
這個女人是誰?
I'm Catherine Piper. I'm Alan's new assistant.
我叫凱瑟琳·派珀,是艾倫的新助手
My, don't you have an interesting face.
你長像可真逗
We are in the middle of a staff meeting.
我們正在開會
No need to be snippy, dear,
別這么暴躁,親愛的
especially since I come bearing treats.
尤其我還在招待大家
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
你只有一次機會,留下第一印象
You certainly make one...
你留下的當然是...
with all that bleach.
滿頭褪色的頭發
Ma'am, you will have to leave. Ma'am
你必須離開了
I'm beginning to not like you.
我已經開始不喜歡你了
Well, if you'll excuse me, I have a trial myself.
對不起,我還有個案子要上庭
You have a trial?
你要上庭?
Yes, tomorrow morning.
是的,明天早上
I've got to go meet with my client. What kind of trial?
我要去見我的客戶了,哪種類型的案子
Criminal.
犯罪的
It's a doctor who did...
是個醫生,做了?
something against the law.
一些違法的事
Who else is with you on this trial?
還有誰參加這案子
Nobody. I decided to fly solo.
沒有,我決定單飛
Think about that.
想象一下
Tell Shirley.
轉告雪莉
Denny Crane without a co-pilot.
丹尼·克蘭不帶副駕駛單飛
Dear god in heaven.
親愛的上帝啊
Shirley
雪莉
Alan Alan. You're in the men's room again.
你又在男廁所了
I need a favor.
我要你幫忙
Certainly. My stall or yours?
當然,去我那間還是你的?
Driving into work this morning,
早上開車來
I heard of a trial involving this new wonder diet drug.
我聽到有場官司,關于神奇的減肥新藥
The drug, and accordingly the trial, are making the news,
這種藥借著官司倒成新聞
and then I heard something very disturbing.
同時我聽到個讓人困擾的消息
The name of the lawyer handling the defense.
辯護律師的名字是
Denny Crane. Nobody wants this firm held up to ridicule.
丹尼·克蘭,沒人希望公司被羞辱
Nobody wants Denny exposed.
沒人希望丹尼拋頭露面
I've been in court with Denny.
我和丹尼一起上過庭
He knows what he's doing at least 50% of the time.
至少一半時間,他知道自己在做什么
I like him, you like him.
我喜歡他,你喜歡他
I have to be in New York.
我必須在紐約
If she tries to pee standing up, come and get me.
如果她打算站著噓噓,記得通知我
Lock and load.
發射
Tracey, we can still make this go away.
特蕾西,事情還有轉寰的余地
How many times must you both say that?
你們究竟要重復多少遍?
Until you consider it.
直到你肯考慮
Are you sure you want your personal life probed with details at 11:00?
你真愿意自己的隱私,過會就被問得一清二楚
I didn't steal from her,
我沒有偷她東西
and I won't offer her anything to settle.
我不會向她讓步庭外和解
I'd appreciate you being on my side.
我很感激你支持我
Hey, we're on your side. All right. Hey
我們是你這邊的,那就好 嘿
We met at an AIDS fundraiser about two years ago.
兩年前我們在愛滋病基金的,募捐活動上認識
We were both publicists, so we had a lot in common.
我們都是做廣告的,有許多共同語言
And at some point, Ms. Rogers, you and the defendant became lovers?
也就是說,羅杰斯女士,你和被告成了情侶?
Yes. She moved into my home.
是的,她搬進了我家
Ultimately, we became business partners and formed Rogers and Green,
最終我們成了生意伙伴,并且成立了羅杰斯和格林
which became one of the top P.R. firms in Boston.
波士頓頂尖公關公司之一
And what happened?
后來呢?
Well, quite simply, after she gained access to my files and my clients,
很簡單,當她能接觸到我的客戶檔案
she stole them. Objection.
就偷了它們,反對
Sustained.
有效
I since learned that she's not even gay, that she basically pretended to be
后來我才知道她不是同性戀,她是裝的
so that she could gain access to my clientoster.
這樣就能得到我的客戶了
Now, Ms. Rogers, when you allege that the defendant pretended to be gay...
羅杰斯女士,當你宣稱被告假裝成同志
She had boyfriends before me and one after.
之前她有男朋友,之后又有一個
Perhaps that makes her bisexual. It doesn't make any difference,
或許她是雙性戀,但這不能成為理由
because I specifically asked her that at the beginning of our relationship.
因為我們確立關系前,我明確的問過她
Whether she was bisexual. Yes.
是不是雙性戀? 是的
I'd been hurt before by heterosexual women experimenting,
我曾被正常女人的,同性戀試驗傷害過
and I didn't want to go down that road again.
我不想重蹈覆轍
She told me she was gay.
她說她是同性戀
That was a lie, one that cost me valuable clients.
這是謊言,讓我失去了寶貴的客戶
Just let me understand this.
如你所說
The basis of your claim is that my client faked her sexual orientation
你認為我的當事人,在性取向上騙了你
for the sole purpose of getting you to fall in love with her
目的僅僅是為了,讓你愛上她
so she could move into your home and business and steal your clients.
這樣就能進入你的家,你的事業,偷走你的客戶
Yes. When, in fact, it wasn't only your business.
是的, 事實上,這不只是你的事業
You built it up together over the two years.
是你們兩年中共同建立的
I founded the company,
我創辦了公司
and most of the clients that she left with were mine.
她帶走的大部分客戶也是我的
Now, Ms. Rogers, as business partners, as a couple, you two were quite prominent.
羅杰斯女士,作為拍檔,作為戀人,你倆都很杰出
Isn't that right? Your photos were constantly in the "Globe" or "Boston" magazine,
沒錯吧?你的照片經常出現在, "環球"或,"波士頓"雜志上
being called the new "it girls".
被譽為漂亮女人
You two got more publicity than your clients.
你倆在公開場合露面,比你們的客戶還要多
It worked to the clients' benefit as well,
這對客戶同樣有好處
so I don't see your point.
我不明白你想說什么
Well, my point is that you two got a lot of publicity together as a couple.
我想說你們倆,經常恩愛的出現在公眾場合
Business just went through the roof.
而生意也好得驚人
Even if you were defrauded, it wasn't exactly to your financial detriment.
即使你真的被騙了,也談不上經濟損失
It was certainly to my detriment when she left.
她離開的確給我帶來了損失
Well, but even so, you make more money now than you
就算如此,你現在賺的
did before even meeting Tracey, so how could you have been hurt?
比認識Tracey前多得多,怎么能算被傷害呢?
How have I been hurt?
我怎么能算被傷害?
She caused me to fall in love with her. That...
她讓我愛上她,那...
That's what this is really about, isn't it, Ms. Rogers?
那才是問題所在,對嗎,羅杰斯女士?
This isn't a business dispute. This is a domestic one.
這不是經濟糾紛,而是你們的家務事
Did she break your heart? Objection.
她讓你心碎了嗎? 反對
I'll allow it.
繼續
Did she break your heart?
她讓你心碎了嗎?
Yes.
是的
You were in love with her.
你愛上了她
Now, Ms. Rogers...
現在,羅杰斯女士...
during the two years that you were together with my client,
和我的委托人,共同度過的兩年里
do you feel that she was in love with you?
你覺得她愛你嗎?
Yes.
是的
Obviously, should I get a criminal conviction,
很明顯,難道我該認罪
that will only make it easier for the AMA to take away my medical license.
那只會讓美國醫學會輕松的,吊銷我的行醫執照
Well, you're gonna lose your license, Bob,
你執照保住不了,鮑勃
so I wouldn't worry about it. Why?
所以我壓根不考慮這個,為什么?
There are many doctors out there prescribing medication the FDA hasn't approved for...
外面有一大堆醫生,開的處方藥是未經FDA許可的
Can I stop you?
打斷一下
Don't be self-righteous. It's annoying.
別想當然了,讓人很不爽
Sorry I'm late.
抱歉,我遲到了
What are you doing here?
你來做什么?
You asked me to second chair, Denny. Remember?
你讓我來幫忙的,丹尼,記得嗎?
Alan Shore. Bob Mclean.
艾倫·肖爾,鮑勃·麥克林
Alan.
艾倫
I never asked you to second chair. Sure you did, Denny.
我從沒叫你幫忙,你肯定有,丹尼
You said you were trying the case...
你說你接了個案子?
Solo.
單干
I said solo.
我說了單干
Well, I thought you asked for backup, so I guess one of us is losing our mind.
反正我記得你要了后援,所以我們有一個失憶了
What do you mean by that?
你什么意思
Denny, I'm here.
丹尼,我在這里
As you know, I'm starved for criminal work.
如你所知,我對案子充滿饑渴
I want to do this alone.
我想一個人解決
Is this about proving something?
是為了證明什么嗎
You said tell Shirley.
你曾說要轉告雪莉
Is this about proving to Shirley Schmidt you han't slipped?
是為了向雪莉·施密特證明你還行是嗎?
Excuse me. I'm in a meeting.
不好意思,我在開會
Denny, I don't have time to say this nicely, Denny
我沒時間委婉地表達
so I'm just gonna say it with all the rough edges.
所以我有話直說了
This is a criminal proceeding. That man's liberty could be at stake.
這是個刑事案,這個男人的自由危在旦夕
I'm jumping in second chair to cover his ass,
我主動獻身來保全他
and, yes, possibly yours as well.
還有,就是,保全你
Could it be possible she's doing this for the publicity?
她這么做會不會是炒作?
Suing me?
告我?
Well, call me a cynic, but for two years, you're the it girls.
可能是我偏見,可兩年來你們是潮流
You're Boston's top publicists.
是波士頓最紅的公眾人物
Business starts to wane,
事業開始走下坡
you leave, she's suddenly not the flavor of the month.
你離開了,她突然間不再風靡一時
She sues you, presto, hot copy is the split girls all over again.
她告了你,一轉眼,單飛女人又成熱點
For the cost of attorney and filing fee, she's featured on every news cast.
比起訴訟費和律師費,她的形象充斥在新聞里
As much as she loves the limelight, Stephanie's honorable.
她喜歡引人注目,屬于斯蒂芬妮的榮耀
I wonder.
我猜也是非顛倒
Is there a reason you keep looking at me like that?
為什么你那樣盯著我?
Like what?
什么樣?
I make you nervous.
我讓你緊張了
You need to get over that.
你得克服
So how many men have you been with?
你跟多少男人交往過
Why are you asking?
你干嗎問這個
I asked her because she's going to be asked on the stand
我問她因為,在庭上她也會被問到
why she has such a hard time giving me a straight answer.
為什么她不能直截了當的回答
However...
然而?
It's because...
這是因為?
I have doubts that she really is one.
我懷疑她是否真的是
A homosexual.
同性戀
Yes.
是的
And are these doubts based on the plaintiff's evidence
這些懷疑是因為原告的證據
or your own scientific compass?
還是你個人的想法
Is she attracted to you, Brad?
布拉德,她被你迷住了?
She might be.
可能是吧
What?
怎么了?
Why is it men...
為什么男人?
I mean, is it the idea of losing one to the other side,
我是說,你是不想輸給另一個女人
or is it since you have feelings for her, you're anxious to believe it's mutual?
還是你對她有感覺,于是你期望她也有
You see...
你看
you sucker me with this buddy talk, get me to reveal my feelings,
你總用話來套我,讓我吐露心聲
and when I do, you punish me with them.
我真說了,你又拿它來刺我
I thought you were attracted to me.
我還覺得,自己迷住你了呢
You don't want to go there.
別再說了
Even so, to be forgotten so easily, and for a homosexual...
就算這樣,要忘記也容易,可如果是同性戀...
is there something taped to my forehead that says "mock me"?
我額頭上貼著:"請嘲笑我"嗎?
Isn't coffee a lovely drug?
咖啡真是種誘人的毒藥
I love brain stimulants, don't you?
我喜歡它們刺激大腦,你們呢?
Catherine Pipe
凱瑟琳·派珀
Brad Chase
布拉德·沙斯
Brad chase. You're defending the lesbian.
布拉德·沙斯,替拉拉辯護的那個
Hi. I'm Lori Colson. We haven't officially met.
嗨,我是洛里·科爾森,我們還沒正式介紹過
Hello, dear. Catherine Piper.
親愛的,凱瑟琳·派珀
For the future, I don't really appreciate comments about my hair.
還有,我不喜歡你評論我的頭發
Oh. I'm sorry.
對不起
I was just trying to make conversation,
我只想隨便找個話題
and I assumed you wouldn't want me to go anywhere near your eyebrows.
而且我猜如果評論你眉毛那,你會更不樂意
I tried diets, all of them.
我吃減肥藥,無數種
I exercised.
我鍛煉
I'd gone on fen-phen years ago,
幾年前我還用過芬芬類減肥藥,
and that helped a little,
但是都收效甚微
but mainly, I just kept getting bigger.
關鍵是,我還在不斷的變胖
And at some point, the defendant mentioned a new drug.
于是,被告建議了一種新藥
Yes. I forgot how he said he had access to it,
是的,我忘記他說藥怎么來的
but basically, he said he had this new drug,
但他說自己有這種新藥
not on the market yet called Ramonibend,
還沒上市,叫Ramonibend
and studies showed how it could help people lose weight.
研究表明它有助于減肥
Desperate as I was, I just said yes.
我已經絕望了,我就說好的
He sold you this drug in his office.
他在辦公室里給你這藥?
Yes, and he told me not to tell anyone
是的,還讓我別說出去
because he said it was illegal for him to be giving it to me.
因為他說了這是違法的
Thank you, Mr. Harrison.
謝謝你,哈里森先生
I can't help but notice you're really fat.
我忍不住想說你實在很胖
Yes.
是的
You been fatter? Much.
你更胖了? 胖了很多
Drug worked. Huge.
藥有效了, 非常
I mean, I lost weight, my cholesterol went down,
我的意思是,我變輕了,膽固醇下降了
my HDL actually went up.
我的HDL上升了,
I mean, it was a godsend.
這是上天的恩賜
Of course, till the...
當然,直到?
you know, police cut off my supplier.
警察切斷了供應商
Objection to the word "supplier," your honor.
反對"供應商"一詞,法官大人
It makes my client sound like a drug dealer.
這讓我的當事人像藥販子
He is a drug dealer. He sold him drugs.
他是藥販子,他把藥賣給了他
Yes, but there's a bias that goes to the word "dealer."
是的,但"販子"一詞是貶義的
He simply prescribed him medicine to help him live.
他只是開了處方想救他
He's right.
他是對的
This man almost died.
這人就要沒命了
Didn't he? Didn't you?
不是嗎? 是嗎?
I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes.
我有高血壓,高膽固醇,糖尿病
I mean, I was at serious risk for a major heart attack or a stroke.
我的意思是,我很可能突發心臟病或中風
Probably still am.
包括現在
Since you stopped taking the drug?
那你停藥后呢?
I'm having problems again.
這些問題又回來了
Did my client tell you that this drug is unapproved by the FDA?
我的委托人告訴過你,這藥未經FDA許可嗎?
Yes.
是的
Did he tell you that, uh,
他告訴過你
there could be side effects? Yes.
會有副作用嗎? 是的
You were fully informed. I was.
你全知道? 是的
You consented. I did.
你還是答應了? 是的
Take it again? Absolutely.
再說一次? 是的
Like the doctor. Love him.
喜歡這個醫生? 我愛他
How's your memory? My memory's fine.
你記性好嗎? 很好
Denny Crane. What's my name?
丹尼·克蘭,我叫什么?
Denny Crane! Like you mean it.
丹尼·克蘭,兇一點
Denny Crane! What's my name?
丹尼·克蘭!我的名字叫什么?
No further questions.
我問完了
Stephanie Rogers is essentially accusing Ms. Green
史蒂芬妮·羅杰斯控告格林女士
of being a heterosexual in sheep's clothing.
不懷好意假扮同性戀
If successful, the plaintiff could potentially receive a judgment in excess of seven figures.
如果成功,原告可能獲得7位數賠償
Which is why perhaps...
也就是為什么可能?
Wait, she wasn't finished.
等等,還沒完呢
Doesn't matter how it's playing out in public, Tracey.
公眾輿論無足輕重,特蕾西
What matters are the 12 people in that box.
陪審席的12個人才是關鍵
And?
還有呢?
I can't tell.
我不能說
Well, you've dated more men than women,
你約會過的男人比女人多
so that puts you on the heterosexual side of the fence.
這讓你更像異性戀那邊的
You certainly could have been confused, as they said,
也許你自己也混亂了
but the problem is you're coming off as anything but indecisive.
但問題是,你怎么看也不像糊涂人
You seem like a woman who knows exactly what you want.
你看起來頭腦總是清醒的
What is that supposed to mean?
這又怎么樣呢?
Nothing.
沒什么
You actually think that I'm attracted to you.
你真的認為我迷上你了
I just believe you should be straight with people.
我只是覺得你可以坦誠點
You know what I mean.
你看
I smell some deceit here.
我覺得你有所隱瞞
I'm gay, Brad.
我是個同性戀,布拉德
Do you want me to take a lie detector?
要我去測謊給你看嗎
People lament the cost of health care.
人們抱怨醫療費用的巨額
They cry over soaring litigation costs
哭訴訴訟費用的高昂
and scream about the eroding integrity of our medical profession.
悲哀醫療專業的腐敗
The conduct of this doctor and others like him are to blame.
這個醫生的行為,所有這樣的醫生,都該被譴責
Oh, lighten up, man. Mr. Crane, you'll get your turn.
哦,樂觀點嘛,克蘭先生,會輪到你發言的
We have rules.
我們有規矩
One is we do not go prescribing experimental drugs
其中之一就是,絕對不用仍在試驗中
that the FDA hasn't approved for market.
FDA還未認可的藥物
Even if the patient consents?
即使病人同意?
The patient will always follow the lead of his doctor.
病人總是聽醫生的
For god's sake, look what people buy off infomercials.
上帝,看看人們對導購節目瘋狂
They'll try anything,
他們什么都愿意嘗試
hair potions, pills that make you lose weight while you sleep.
輕松亮發劑,睡覺減肥片
Desperate people will try anything,
絕望的人什么都會試
and when you have a licensed doctor saying "here, take this," they will.
當執業醫師說:"用這個"他們就會用
This isn't a potion. This drug works.
這不是試劑,這藥很有療效
In preliminary studies, but there's much, much more testing to be done.
只是初步的研究,還有很多很多的測試要做
How long does it take the FDA to approve a drug?
FDA認可藥物通常要多久
It isn't quick, but...
不是很快,但?
How long?
多久?
Nine years.
9年
My client's patient would be dead by then.
那時當事人可能已經死了
But, hey, you've got your rules.
但,無所謂,是有規矩的
Objection. Oh, be quiet.
反對,安靜
Your honor, he can't tell me to be quiet.
法官大人,他無權叫我安靜
Let him have his turn, Mr. Zale.
讓他繼續吧,Zale先生
You say that doctors shouldn't prescribe non-FDA-approved drugs as a rule.
你說照規定,醫生不能用未經FDA許可的藥
Yes. Doctors don't prescribe medications
是的,醫生的處方中從不用
for things that the FDA hasn't approved them for.
還沒有被FDA許可的藥
Off-label prescriptions happen, but...
也有非核準藥物,但...
Doctor, have you ever prescribed a drug
醫生,你是否有過
that wasn't approved for the particular condition you were treating?
以非核準適應癥開立處方
Yes, but... and, doctor,
是的,但是? 那么,醫生
if you were overweight
如果你超重了
and at risk for an imminent stroke or heart attack,
并可能突發中風或心臟病
is it your testimony that you would never consider taking Ramonibend?
你敢不敢說,絕對不會考慮服用Ramonibend?
For myself, I might, but...
對自己的話,可能會,但是...
but you wouldn't give your patient
但你不會給病人
the same opportunity
即使情況相同
because you have rules.
因為你們有規定
You're going to be the first lawyer sued by his client for sexual harassment.
你會是第一個被當事人起訴性騷擾的律師
I'm a good lawyer because I got a nose for the truth, Lori.
我是個好律師,因為我能察覺真相,洛里
You're attracted to her, Brad. It's clouding your nose.
你被她吸引了,布拉德,這影響了你的判斷
Are you falling in love with this woman?
你愛上這個女人了嗎?
What? Please.
什么?拜托
Are you? Of course not.
愛上了嗎? 當然沒有
I put a tail on her.
我跟蹤了她
I beg your pardon?
你說什么?
I hired a P.I. just to follow her around, see who she sees.
我請了私家偵探跟蹤她,查查她在見誰
What she sees.
見什么性別的
You're trying to out her as a heterosexual.
你想證明她是異性戀
I don't like surprises in court.
我不想在法庭上有意外
Okay, first, you could lose your bar ticket for putting a P.I...
好吧,首先,找私人偵探,你的執照會被吊銷...
Why? It's not that big of a deal. Brad, she's your client.
為什么?又沒什么大不了的,布拉德,她是你的當事人
Second, let the jury decide whether or not she's being truthful.
其次,真假讓陪審團判斷
You just be her lawyer and only, and third...
你只是她的律師,還有第三...
Stop hitting on her.
別再惹她了
Hey, Brad.
嘿,布拉德
All together now.
大家一起說
Lesbian.
拉拉
Boys...
孩子們
how's our trial going?
你們的案子如何了?
You think I'm just gonna wither up and die in there, don't you?
你認定我會先衰再敗對吧?
All these references to our sex life, Denny.
倒能這么形容,我們的性生活,丹尼
Tell her how I'm doing, Alan.
告訴她我干的如何,艾倫
Please, since he can't recall.
勞駕,他應該不記得了
He's been amazing.
他的表現令人驚異
I'd say we have a better-than-even chance.
我認為前景極為樂觀
Hello
嗨
Hello
嗨
Is there a reason you're snuggled up to me?
你不會無緣無故貼著我吧?
Well, yes.
當然
I understand you're the boss, dear.
你是老板,親愛的
I'm sucking up.
我在拍馬屁
By standing next to me.
通過站我旁邊?
Yes.
是的
With me by your side, dear, you almost look young.
親愛的,有我在邊上,你顯得那么年輕
I have no idea who you are,
我不知道你是誰
but I like you.
但我喜歡你
Is he really doing okay?
他真的可以嗎?
The firm is safe from ridicule.
公司的臉丟不了
What did she want?
她想干嘛?
Make sure I'm competent?
確保我能勝任?
Something like that.
差不多吧
You were more than competent today, Denny.
你今天不僅勝任,丹尼
You were good, very good. I know.
你很優秀,非常優秀,我知道
We must be doing our crosswords these days.
這幾天一定做了不少填字游戲
Did she ask you to backstop me?
是她叫你支援我的?
It was my idea.
我的主意
Damn liar. I like doing cases with you, Denny.
該死的騙子,我喜歡跟你合作,丹尼
Can't you just accept that? It's fun.
你就不能接受嗎?會很帶勁的
Fun, fine. I'll go with that, then.
帶勁,很好,那我忍了
You have seemed especially acute. Are we taking something?
你好像靈活了很多,在用什么秘方
I just rubbed on a little clear cream. It was just for muscle cramps.
涂點乳霜,緩解肌肉緊繃
Denny?
丹尼?
Are you taking something?
你在服用什么?
What I am taking...
我吃的?
is good care of myself.
對我有好處
The old Denny Crane is coming back.
以前的丹尼·克蘭,回來了
Our business had reached sort of a plateau,
我們的業務進入穩定期
and I felt I could do better solo.
我覺得單干能做得更好
And truthfully, I thought that she might, too.
坦白的說我相信她也是
Now, before leaving, did you tell your clients?
離開前,你通知客戶了嗎
Absolutely not.
當然沒有
I left, I contacted them, they decided to come with me, in that order.
我先離開,再聯系他們,他們決定和我合作,我這樣做的
Now, Tracey, we've heard the accusation
特蕾西,有指控說
that you pretended to love Stephanie for business reasons.
你假裝和斯蒂芬妮相愛,以獲取經濟利益
It's absolutely false.
絕對沒有
I fell in love with her.
我真的愛她
I mean, the idea that I could feign love for 2-plus years just...
我是說,假裝愛一個人兩年多,這種想法太?
you know how much I loved you, Stephanie.
斯蒂芬妮,你知道我有多愛你
Ms. Green, please do not address anyone but me or your counsel.
格林女士,請不要對其他人說話,除了我和你的律師
I never lied to her about my sexual orientation,
在性取向上我沒對她說謊
and I'm offended by that.
也很氣憤這樣說我
How many women had you been with prior to your relationship with my client?
在我當事人前,你跟多少女人一起過?
Objection. Overruled.
反對,駁回
However salacious, it's in issue.
有些敏感,但跟案子有關
How many women?
多少女人
One. One.
一個,一個
And prior to your relationship with my client,
那在我當事人前
how many men had you had sexual relationships with?
你跟多少男人在一起過?
Several. Several.
一些,一些
More than five? Yes.
超過5個? 是的
More than 10? I wanted to lead a heterosexual life.
超過10個? 我希望能成為異性戀
Eventually, I realized...
最終,我意識到??
My client asked you if you were bisexual.
我當事人問過你是不是雙性戀
You answered no. Because I'm not.
你否認了,因為我不是
I may have been with men in the past,
我的確和男人一起過
but ultimately, I realized I preferred women.
但最終我發現,自己更喜歡女人
How many relationships have you had since Stephanie?
在斯蒂芬妮后,你又有過幾段關系?
One. With a man or a woman?
一段,和男的,還是女的
Look, the breakup with Stephanie was extremely painful.
與斯蒂芬妮分手讓我非常痛苦
Your subsequent relationship was with a man or a woman?
你后來發展的關系,是和男人,還是女人
A man. A man.
男人,男人
Now, you spoke earlier about the exact order of how things went down.
你曾說過事情發展的順序
Rewinding a little further back,
我們來回顧一下
you met Stephanie, became her lover,
你遇到了斯蒂芬妮 ,成了她的愛人
eventually became her business partner,
最后成了她的合作伙伴
left with clients and files, began having an affair with a man.
帶走了她的客戶和文件,開始和一個男人談戀愛
Did I get the order right?
我的順序沒錯吧
I just got destroyed.
我被重創了
Didn't I?
對嗎
You didn't get destroyed.
你沒有
It was a tough cross, but I thought you held up.
是個難關,但你撐過來了
Really?
真的嗎?
Really.
真的
You know...
你知道?
to think that I'm straight is to believe that I'm a profoundly dishonest person.
說我喜歡的是男人,也就是質疑我不誠實
And I'm not dishonest, Brad.
而我沒有不誠實,布拉德
OK Okay. You know, I...
你知道,我?
I can take you doubting my sexual orientation but...
我可以理解你懷疑,我的性取向,但是?
my character, I, uh...
我的人品,我?
I don't doubt you.
我沒有懷疑你
She's trying to admit something. What, that she's not gay?
她想說些什么,什么呢,她不是同性戀?
I don't know. Maybe.
我不清楚,可能吧
You're making a fool of yourself, Brad.
你在騙自己,布拉德
I know when I'm being deceived, Tara.
如果被騙我就會知道,塔拉
The deception is self-inflicted.
是自己虛構的錯覺
You're infatuated with her, and you want to believe it's reciprocal.
你迷上了她,而你希望這是相互的
She's probably more interested in me than you.
估計她對我的興趣更大
You're making a fool of yourself.
你在騙自己
I considered it life or death.
我覺得是生死攸關
He was at risk of cardiac arrest, diabetes...
他有心跳停止和糖尿病的危險
and this drug was your only resort?
而這種藥物是你的唯一選擇?
It was my last resort.
是我僅有的選擇
Believe me, I am not in the habit of prescribing non-approved drugs, but this...
相信我,我沒有開非核準藥物的習慣,但是這次?
Doctor, would you tell the jury and me, too,
醫生,請再次告訴陪審團和我
for that matter, because I've forgotten.
因為我有些忘了
How Ramonibend works.
Ramonibend是怎么起作用
It suppresses a protein in the brain that makes you want to eat.
它抑制大腦里控制食欲的蛋白質
In fact, this drug blocks nearly all cravings.
事實上這種藥物阻止了所有欲望
It can be used to help people quit smoking, drinking.
它能幫助人們戒酒,戒煙
Which is why it's been called the wonder drug.
所以它被稱為"夢幻之藥"
So you just figured what the hell, why wait for proof?
你說得那么花好稻好,干嘛還要等驗證
My patient couldn't wait, Mr. Zale.
可我的病人等不起,Zale先生
He was looking at an imminent physical demise.
他隨時可能停止生理活動
In medical terms, we call it death.
醫學上,我們稱之為死亡
Any published studies on this drug?
有對這種藥研究的學術發表嗎?
To justify this wonder status you give it.
可以證明剛才你說的,那些奇效是真的
Not yet. Has this drug been approved for sale?
還沒有,這種藥物獲準出售了嗎?
Not yet.
還沒有
How'd you get your hands on this drug, doctor?
你怎么得到這些藥物的
I had a connection at one of the clinics where it's being tested.
我和測試藥物的一家診所有聯系
I won't reveal more than that.
關于這個我不想多說
You're a licensed doctor
你是一個執業律師
prescribing a drug not approved by the FDA to desperate patients.
給絕望的病人FDA還未許可的藥
With a full warning.
我警告過他所有可能的危險
How can you warn about a drug side effect you don't know about?
你連藥物副作用都不清楚,怎么能給警告
The warning that I gave Mr. Harrison was exactly that.
我給哈里森先生的警告是
This drug may have side effects we don't know about.
這藥的副作用我們也不清楚
Possible fatal side effects.
甚至可能致命
There's no evidence of that. So you decided...
沒有證據表明會那樣,所以你決定?
balancing the benefits against the known risk of a coronary
先解決已經存在的心臟問題
if he doesn't take it, I favor taking the medication.
如果他不愿用這個,我會選擇藥物治療
This is an experimental drug. Which I have no financial interest in.
這是實驗中藥物,我沒有任何獲利
Which you bootlegged. My only concern was a patient's health.
你私自出售,我關心的是病人的健康
So doctors should feel free to ignore the FDA whenever they choose.
所以醫生們可以無視FDA隨心所欲
I never said that. So you should feel free whenever you choose.
我沒那樣說,那是你可以隨心所欲
Sometimes desperate circumstances require desperate measures.
有時絕境求生要險中求勝
And desperate people will do anything, won't they?
但絕望之人會不顧后果,不是嗎?
Denny.
丹尼
You're checking on me in here, too?
你也來這里查我?
Think I forgot how to piss?
我忘記怎么撒尿了?
I beg your pardon?
什么?
I'm tired of being followed around like some patient.
我討厭被你們當病人似的提防著
I change my underwear every day. I know how to practice law.
我每天都換內衣,我知道怎么打官司
And if you're the one who assigned Alan Shore to backstop me,
如果是你指使艾倫·肖爾來幫我
then you better stop... You listen.
你最好別再,你聽著
I'm still talking. Now I'm talking.
我還沒說完,現在是我說
You arrogant old fart, you have a client facing prison time.
你這只傲慢的老肥豬,你的當事人就要坐牢了
You have no right to exalt your ego.
你無權只想著顯擺自己
Don't you talk to me in that...
不要這么和我說話?
Shut up!
閉嘴
I am sick of you feeling sorry for yourself and only yourself.
我惡心你一個勁的自顧自憐
It was selfish of you to try this case solo.
你想單打獨斗,簡直自私自利
Do not start a war with me here.
別在這惹毛我
You may not win it.
你不可能會贏
That's why you brought Shirley back.
所以你才讓雪莉回來
To build an alliance!
來結成同盟
Guess you're the one who forgot how to piss.
我看你才忘了怎么撒尿
Does it smell right to you?
各位覺得合理嗎
She had a history of men before my client.
她之前和男人在一起
She never hinted to her best friends that she was anything but heterosexual.
她從沒和朋友表示過,自己不喜歡異性
She had an affair with a man after she left my client.
之后她又和男人在一起
Her only fling with homosexuality
她唯一成同性戀的時候
just happened to coincide with the biggest financial windfall of her life.
就正好是她財源滾滾的時候
Suddenly being gay got her money,
突然成了同性戀賺大錢
got her profiled about town in magazines, on tv, as an it girl.
她出現在雜志電視上,成了時尚
Newfound fame, newfound money, newfound sexual orientation.
有了名聲,有了金錢,有了新的性取向
Does it smell right to you?
你們覺得正常嗎?
In order to make a cause of action for fraud,
要證明欺詐行為
one must prove that he or she relied on the fraud to his or her own detriment.
就必須證明他或她被這個行為傷害
Now, after partnering with my client,
在和我的當事人搭檔后
Ms. Rogers' financial and professional fortunes soared.
羅杰斯女士,財運事業都平步青云
She benefited.
她獲益匪淺
In fact, one might even say, considering
事實上,甚至可以說
the media coverage of this lawsuit,
單看媒體對本案的關注
that she's actually benefiting from the breakup,
她在分手中也得益不少
because as any P.R. professional knows, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
做公關的人都知道,新聞炒作百利而無一害
But if you're determined to get hung up on the issue
但是如果你們糾纏于
is Tracey Green gay or not, did she really love Stephanie or not,
特蕾西·格林是不是同性戀,她是否真愛過斯蒂芬妮
consider Stephanie's own testimony.
請想想斯蒂芬妮自己的證詞吧
When I asked her during the relationship
當我問到她
as she was living it,
那段時間
did she feel that Tracey loved her?
她是否感到特蕾西真的愛她
And she answered yes.
她的回答是肯定的
But now in the wake of hurt and heartbreak,
但想到被傷害和心痛
she offers a different answer.
她又給了相反的回答
Which version do you find more reliable?
你們覺得哪個答案更可信?
Anything?
有結果了嗎
No, they're still deliberating.
沒有,他們還在討論
What's this? I haven't the slightest idea.
這是什么? 不知道
Your secretary said you'd want it sooner rather than later.
你秘書說你希望盡快拿到
What is it?
這是什么?
It's nothing. It's just another case I'm working on.
沒什么,是另一個案子的
Do I have to convince you of the danger of prescribing non-approved drugs?
相信不用再多說,使用未經許可藥物的危險
Defrauding overweight people with diet gimmicks is a billion-dollar industry,
欺騙肥胖人士服用減肥藥,是條斂財之道
and now we're going to let doctors get in on the racket
我們難道要讓醫生也摻和進來
and say it's okay to sell black-market pills under the table?
還默認偷售黑市藥品是可以的
It's precisely because physicians have
恰恰是因為醫師
such an influence over their patients
對病人們有絕對的影響力
that we demand that drugs be approvedby the FDA.
所以我們要求藥物必須通過FDA許可
But this doctor decided he shouldn't be held to that.
但是這個醫生不愿受約束
This doctor figured he's above the law.
這個醫生認為他凌駕于法律
This doctor is the equivalent of a drug dealer
這個醫生就像藥販子
selling cocaine in an alleyway,
在巷子里賣可卡因一樣
and he should be punished accordingly.
他理應得到應有的懲處
I thought I was closing. I'm first chair.
是我來結案呈詞,我主你副
You got to ask all the questions. Objection.
發問全由你來的,反對
Your honor, these two have tried to trivialize the severity of this case
法官大人,這兩人擾亂法庭肅穆
with their Abbott and Costello routine, but it's an insult to this court.
他們一唱一和很搞笑,但這是對庭審的侮辱
Your honor, it's only fair I get to do something here.
法官大人,這是庭審剩下的,我唯一能做的事了
Mr. Shore, the court is anything but amused.
肖爾先生,法庭是神圣莊嚴的地方
I'm not.. No, I, I got it.
我沒有,不,有了,有辦法了
We'll split it.
我們上下半場
You go first.
你先來
Fine.
好的
Okay, first, this big deal about FDA approval... Okay
首先,這樁關于FDA認證的案子
doctors prescribe medications every day for uses the FDA never considered.
醫生每天開著FDA還未認可的藥物
Aspirin, for years, has been used to prevent and treat heart attacks.
阿司匹林,用于預防心臟病很多年了
Did the FDA ever test for that? No.
FDA認證過嗎?沒有
It was sanctioned only as a pain reliever until recently.
直到最近它才被批準作為止痛藥
Beta-blockers are prescribed for migraines with no FDA approval.
β受體阻滯藥醫治偏頭痛,沒有經過FDA許可
We take anti-convulsants for pain, for bipolar disorders.
我們用抗驚厥藥止痛,治療兩極紊亂
Antidepressants for insomnia, steroids for cancer.
抗抑郁藥治療失眠,類固醇治療癌癥
People in this country are getting prescriptions by the thousands
這個國家的人每天從醫生那里
every day from their doctors for treatments the FDA never signed off on.
得到上千張FDA從未許可過的處方
And what about the FDA?
那么FDA呢?
David Graham, a drug reviewer with the agency, David Graham
藥物評論家
just testified before congress that the FDA is, I quote,
向國會證實FDA,原句是
"virtually incapable of protecting America from unsafe drugs."
“實際上是不能保護,美國人民遠離危險藥物”
The FDA is broken, folks.
朋友們,FDA是無用的
Raise your hand if you agree, except those of you on vioxin.
同意的請舉手,除了在吃vioxin的
Objection. The FDA's own point man said to congress
反對,FDA的重要人物對國會說
that we are currently facing the single greatest drug safety catastrophe
我們現在面對的是歷史上
in the history of the world.
最巨大的藥物安全災難
So who, then, is there to protect the patient?
那么,究竟誰在保護病人
Who is there to protect Mr. Harrison?
誰在保護哈里森先生?
His doctor.
他的醫生
My client had a medication that could save his patient's life.
我的當事人開的處方,能救病人的性命
He wasn't going to wait nine years for approval from a broken, ineffective agency.
他不再白等九年,等一個無用的低效的機構來證明
This is life or death, for god's sake.
生死攸關,看在上帝的份上
Life or death.
生死攸關
I'm at risk for Alzheimer's.
我會變成老年癡呆
I've got some sort of plaque going on inside my brain.
我的腦子里有什么病變
My memory...
我的記憶?
I might have met some of you before. I wouldn't know.
我可能見過你們某些人,但我不會記得
What you wouldn't know is what it feels like to be...
你們無法體會那種感覺
losing it, to be...
失去它,變得?
feel...
感覺?
to be slipping.
漸漸不行了
There's a prescription drug...
有一種處方藥
dextroamphetamine.
右旋安非他命
It's very big on the black market.
在黑市上用量很大
It's used by college kids to bone up for exams.
大學生用它來通過考試
I've been taking it.
我也吃這個
I don't know how it works,
我不清楚原理
but you get your memory back.
但你找回了記憶
It reintroduces you to your vocabulary,
幫你記住單詞
helps with mental arithmetic, facial recognition, overall productivity.
幫你加快心算,幫你認人,一切的能力
Basically...
基本上?
you get your brain back.
基本上你的腦子回來了
And no FDA or any other agency is gonna
沒有FDA或任何機構
tell me I don't have the right to get back my brain.
說我無權找回我的腦子
No government or, or court is gonna tell me,
沒有政府或法庭
order me to continue losing my mind.
會命令我繼續失去記憶
I agree with the prosecutor.
我同意控方
His claim that desperate people will try desperate measures.
他說絕望的人會做絕望的事
So what?
那又怎樣?
Members of the jury, - have you reached a verdict?
陪審團是否達成一致?
Yes, we have, your honor. We have, your honor.
是的,法官閣下,是的,法官閣下
What say you? In the matter of Rogers vs. Green...
結論是,羅杰斯對格林一案?
In the matter of the commonwealth of Massachusetts vs. Dr. Robert Mclean...
麻省對羅伯特·麥克林醫生一案?
we the jury find in favor of the defendant.
陪審團判定辯方勝訴
We find the defendant Dr. Robert Mclean
我們判定羅伯特·麥克林醫生
not guilty.
無罪
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I want to thank you for your service.
感謝陪審團的各位
At this time, you are dismissed.
你們可以解散了
Court adjourned.
休庭
So did she say anything after?
后來她說什么了嗎
She just shot me a look when she was leaving the courthouse.
只是離開時瞪了我一眼
She'll get over it.
她會挺過去的
Yeah, I bet she will.
是的,她會
Who knows? Maybe we'll even get back together one day.
天知道,可能某天我們又和好了
Wouldn't be surprised.
這不意外
So why did you want to have dinner, Brad?
為什么安排這頓晚餐,布拉德?
To celebrate the victory or, uh...
來慶祝勝利,或者?
take one last shot at conversion?
還是想再看我一眼
I wanted to have dinner to apologize.
我邀你共進晚餐是想道歉
I did a really...
我做了件?
terrible thing.
很糟糕的事情
I hired a private investigator to follow you.
我雇了個私家偵探跟著你
I wanted to satisfy myself that you were really gay,
我想說服自己,你是個同性戀
and I'm quite satisfied now.
現在我很肯定了
You went to see Stephanie around midnight last night.
你昨天午夜去見斯蒂芬妮了
Why would you do that?
為什么那么做?
Well, had it half right. Didn't I?
我對了一半,對嗎?
You know, thinking Stephanie sued you for...
猜Stephanie起訴你
the publicity.
為了炒作
You were both in on it.
你們一起策劃的
It girls or split girls...
“漂亮女人”還是“單飛女人”
however you make the news, you two are a really good team.
無論哪種炒作,你倆始的確合作默契
Because I knew I was being deceived.
因為我覺得不對勁
I just wasn't sure how.
但不知道究竟怎么回事
I didn't plan for you to fall for me.
我沒想到你會愛上我
Well, don't flatter yourself.
別太看得起自己
I think that I should leave.
我想我該離開了
No, no, you don't have to. We won the case.
不,不,你不必,我們贏得了官司
Come on, this is a celebration.
來吧,這是慶功宴
I'm gonna leave.
我要走了
Thank you, Brad.
謝謝你,布拉德
Um, and again,
呃,再一次
I'm sorry if...
我很抱歉,如果?
Thank you.
謝謝你
That drug you're taking is an amphetamine
你在吃的藥是種安非他命
with a dangerously high potential for abuse and addiction.
可能會導致濫用或上癮
The shrinks are doling it out like candy.
精神科醫生開這藥就像發糖果
Might make you feel more acute.
可能讓你聰明些
You'll no doubt work like a demon.
你工作起來會勝人一籌
But certain pleasures will be gone.
但會失去許多快樂
Like?
比如?
Perhaps fishing...
可能是釣魚?
perhaps sitting in a chair enjoying a football game...
可能是坐著看球賽
standing on a balcony...
站在陽臺
appreciating the quiet joy of a friendship.
享受友誼中靜靜的快樂
There's more to life than recognizing faces, Denny.
生活不僅是認人,丹尼
You prefer me in my fog?
你喜歡糊涂的我?
I prefer you.
我喜歡的是你
Your perspective and your humor,
你的觀點和你的幽默
the acceptance and humility which...
容忍和謙遜
perhaps can only come with age.
伴隨年齡而來的這些
I prefer you.
我喜歡,你
I've stopped taking the drug.
我已經不吃藥了
I kind of like my fog, too.
我也喜歡糊涂些
There's a certain license that goes with it.
它是個好借口
Plus, I've said this before, and I'll say it again.
還有,我曾說過,我還要再說
The answers in life...
生活的答案
you don't find them here.
你從這找不到
First you look to god...
首先你指望上帝
and then...
然后
Fox news.
Fox新聞
Damn right.
該死的,說的對
You Democrats.
你是民主黨人
You Republicans.
你是共和黨人
Shirley know I won?
雪莉知道我贏了嗎?
Told her myself. What'd she say?
我親口說的,她怎么說?
She'd like to have your children.
她想有你的孩子
Damn right.
該死的,說得對