Who the hell are you?
你是誰?
It's not who so much as what. This is a men's room.
是什么才對,這可是男洗手間
What's your name, fella?
你叫什么,小子?
I'm Shirley Schmidt. Pardon the intrusion but...
我是雪莉·施密特,抱歉闖進來
one of our assistants is suing us under title IX,
一個助理起訴我們性別歧視
claiming, among other things, the men have better fixtures.
其中一條就聲稱,男職員享有更好的設施
So you're Shirley Schmidt of Crane, Poole &...
你就是那個雪莉·施密特
Schmidt
施密特
Alan Shore. It's a pleasure.
艾倫·肖爾,很高興認識你
Surely you intend to wash that first.
毫無疑問你會先洗手
I keep an extremely clean penis.
我家老二向來十分干凈
I know all about you. And I you.
我知道你不少,彼此彼此
There's much written in stall number 2.
第二個隔間里,寫得很詳盡
I pictured you younger. Much.
我想像中你年輕,多了
A smart attorney recognizes who he can or cannot rattle.
聰明的律師該會判斷,對誰才能耍嘴皮
He also knows a good rattle when he sees one.
他也知道碰上后要怎樣耍
Since I'm your boss, I can't return your sexual banter,
我是你上司,我不會回應你的性玩笑
but I will say, for the record, that if I were looking for a rattle,
但我要說按慣例,如果我要找人調情
he would be taller, he would be better-looking.
這個人會更高,更帥
He would be more evolved than a junior in high school.
他會比高中毛頭小子成熟得多
I prefer the juniors in high school.
我就更喜歡高中的小毛頭
He would be something other than a self-loathing narcissist with a dwarf fetish,
他決不會是自戀狂,還有侏儒情節
and, yes, judging from what I got a glimpse of in the mirror
還有,以我剛從鏡子里
when I first entered the room, he would be bigger.
看到的來說,他的會比你大
Much.
很多
My, my, my.
哇喔,哇喔,哇喔
She's been in the New York office the last three years.
三年來她一直在,紐約辦公室
Rumor has it Lewiston called her back to get things into shape.
傳言說Lewiston請她回來,整頓些事情
What things?
什么事情?
Us things. Litigation has been under performing, Sally.
我們的事,訴訟已經開始了,薩莉
Plus, our image around town is becoming that of...
另外,我們的形象越來越趨向?
Denny Crane. Exactly.
丹尼·克蘭,完全正確
The truth is, we need a kick in the ass, and I'm glad she's back.
我們也該被整頓一下了,我很高興她能回來
Lori... Is Shirley Schmidt really back?
洛里,雪莉·施密特真的回來了?
Temporarily. I need you in the conference room on another matter. It's urgent.
暫時的,快到會議室去,有急事找你
I'm available. As soon as you can, please.
我有空,請盡快
Why is she back?
她為什么回來?
Evidently, Lewiston asked her to return.
很明顯,劉易斯頓請她回來的
Why? This I do not know.
為什么?這我可不知道
I do not want Shirley Schmidt in this building.
我不想雪莉·施密特,出現在這棟大樓
Denny, she's a named partner. You can't exactly ban her presence.
丹尼,她是合伙人,你不能禁止她出現
I'm gonna tell you something I haven't told anybody.
我要告訴你件,其他人不知道的事
I once had a torrid...
我和那女人有段熱烈的?
torrid affair with that woman.
熱烈的關系,和那女人
First, everybody knows that... and second, the word would be "horrid."
首先,這事世人皆知,其次,應該是“糟糕”的
Shirley
雪莉
This firm isn't big enough for the two of us.
這間事務所容不下,我倆同時存在
I agree. It would be best if we could be in different cities but...
同意,我們在兩個城市最好,但...
it's our differences, ironically, that call for me to be here now.
我倆天差地別,諷刺的是因此我才回來
What differences, specifically?
什么差別?具體點
Well, for starters, I still know how to practice law.
那就是,作為創始人,我仍知道怎么操作法律實務
I don't have to go around saying my name out loud in order to remember it.
不必四處叫嚷自己的名字,生怕自己忘記
I don't want you here.
我不要你在這里
Is it because...
是因為?
you still desire me?
你對我還有感覺?
Ha.
哈
I'm over my wrinkle fetish.
我已經沒有戀母情節了
You don't arouse me, Shirley. Oh, please,
你無法撩撥我的,雪莉,噢,拜托
all I have to do is say those two combustible little words.
我只要說那兩個,火熱的小小的字眼
Denny Crane
丹尼·克蘭
She's still hot.
她還是很辣啊
Alan, there's a guy on the phone. He isn't a client.
艾倫,有人打電話來,不是客戶
He picked us out of the yellow pages.
他從黃頁廣告里挑中我們的
He said he's committed a crime, and he needs to speak to a lawyer.
說自己犯了罪,他要找個律師談談
We advertise in the yellow pages?
我們在黃頁上登廣告了?
He sounded really upset.
聽起來他真很苦惱
What should I do?
我該怎么做?
Line four? Yes.
四線? 對
This is Alan Shore.
我是艾倫·肖爾
If you're a criminal, please state your name
如果你犯了罪,在提示音后
and the nature of your crime at the sound of the tone.
請報上姓名和所犯罪行的性質
I killed my mother.
我殺了我母親
Sir, excuse me?
先生?
This is a lawyer, right? What, what I say is privileged, right?
你是律師,對嗎?我,我所說的將被保密,對嗎?
It might have been wise to establish that before
在告訴我你殺了媽媽前
telling me you killed mother, but, yes, we'll call this privileged.
先問這句話才是明智,但,沒錯,我們對此保密
It was an accident. Now I don't know what to do.
那是個意外,現在我不知道該怎么辦
Okay,
好的
where is mother now?
你母親現在在哪
On the kitchen floor.
躺在廚房的地上
Okay.
好的
And have you called for an ambulance, or...
你叫了救護車嗎,還是??
She's dead. I don't wanna call the police. They'd arrest me, wouldn't they?
她已經死了,我不想報警,他們會抓我的,對嗎?
Typically.
沒錯
Why don't you give me your name and address, sir?
給我您的姓名和地址好嗎?
Ah, here she is.
啊,她來了
John, this is Lori Colson.
約翰,這位是洛里·科爾森
Lori John Zenawi, CEO of Hanley tech.
洛里·約翰·澤納維,Hanley tech的CEO
Very nice to meet you. My pleasure.
很高興認識你,我也是
Please sit.
請坐
John is a long time client of our corporate department.
約翰是我們事務所的老客戶了
Yes, I think I've done some anti-trust work for your company on occasion.
是的,我曾有為貴公司做反壟斷的案子
He's here today because...
他今天來是因為?
John, would you like to explain?
約翰,你想親自來說嗎?
I was born in Sudan.
我生在蘇丹
My father transferred to the states when I was 5.
五歲的時候隨父親移民到美國
I've lived here since.
從此生活在這里
Most of my extended family remains in Sudan.
我大部分的親人都還留在蘇丹
One of my cousins was murdered there last week.
上個星期我的一個堂兄被殺了
I'm very sorry.
我很抱歉
That was the 11th family member to have been killed.
這已是我們家族第十一個受害者了
I can't begin to describe the sense of futility I feel.
我無法形容,覺得自己有多無能
I need to do something, Ms. Colson.
科爾森女士,我必須做點什么
I've been fortunate to have made a lot of money,
很幸運我現在非常富有
and I can no longer sit passively.
我也無法再坐視不管
So, as preposterous as it may sound,
所以,即使這聽起來很荒謬
and as expensive as it may be,
或許還要花筆大錢
I want to sue the government.
我要起訴政府
Well, our courts wouldn't have jurisdiction over the Sudanese government.
我們的法庭對蘇丹政府沒有司法權
I'm sure Paul told you that.
我相信Paul已經告訴過你了
He's not looking to sue the Sudanese government.
他并不是要起訴蘇丹政府
I want to go after the United states.
我要告美國
On what grounds?
基于什么?
That is what I need you to tell me.
那就等你來告訴我了
Typically, Lori, whenever there's a case that can't be brought,
洛里,只要有無法操作的案子
I run it by you.
我都會找你
You call me insane among other things more colorful, you exit the room,
你就先罵我瘋子或更難聽點的,然后走開
then return the next day with a crazy idea.
但隔天就會帶著出人意料的點子回來
We need that idea, Lori.
我們需要個點子,洛里
If I can get into court, Ms. Colson, I can make some noise.
如果我能上法庭,科爾森小姐,就有機會制造點聲音
That is what I'm desperate to do here,
這是我最想要做的
put this issue in the spotlight a little,
吸引公眾的視線
create maybe an outcry of sorts.
能引起些抗議之類的
I don't mean to sound harsh,
聽上去可能有些刺耳
but the genocide going on in Sudan
但蘇丹發生的種族屠殺
has been covered quite a bit by the press, Mr. Zenawi,
媒體關注的很少,澤納維先生
and the American people have spoken.
美國人民已經表了態
They don't care.
他們不關心
Well,
那么至少
I guess, for my own peace of mind,
為了自己心安理得
I need to do whatever I can.
我該盡我所能
Maddie
麥迪
Yes. Hello, dear, I'm Shirley Schmidt.
是,親愛的,我是雪莉·施密特
I read your title IX complaint last night.
我昨晚讀了你那份關于性別歧視的陳述
It's very well drafted. You obviously hired an excellent attorney.
起草的很不錯,顯然你請了個很優秀的律師
You're fired, Maddie.
你被解雇了,麥迪
You can't...
你不能?
you can't fire me for bringing a title IX.
你不能因為我起訴你們就解雇我
What are you going to do, sweetheart, sue me?
那你打算怎么辦,親愛的,告我嗎?
You've already done that.
你已經這么做了
Call your persuasive lawyer, tell him to add a count for wrongful termination.
通知你那妙口生花的律師,告訴他多加上一條不合理解雇
Bye-bye.
再見
By now I'm sure you've run to Paul Lewiston.
你現在是去找保羅·劉易斯頓
No.
不對
I'm coming directly to you because I don't care what Paul Lewiston wants.
我是來找你的,我才不管保羅·劉易斯頓想干嘛
I'm Denny Crane.
我可是丹尼·克蘭
Crane comes before Schmidt.
克蘭總在施密特的前面
You refer, of course, to when we were intimate.
如你所說,不過只在我們親密時
Shirley, I demand to know your agenda.
雪莉,我要你的日程安排
You always have one, so please...
你總有計劃,所以請?
I told you my agenda, Denny. It's to fix things.
我告訴過你了,丹尼,來收拾些事情
Excuse me,
抱歉
what's your name?
你叫什么名字?
Sally Heep Sally Heep. Very nice outfit, Sally.
衣服很漂亮,薩莉
Can you spell?
怎么拼?
Wear something more appropriate. Pretend you're a lawyer.
穿的得體點,像個律師
This woman happens to be an excellent attorney.
這個女人正是名優秀的律師
She also happens to have a name.
她正好也有個名字
What is it?
是什么呢?
Time's up. Bye-bye.
時間到,再見
Denny Crane
丹尼·克蘭
Could you please state your name?
請問尊姓大名?
Alan Shore
艾倫·肖爾
Mr. Shore, thank you for coming.
肖爾先生,感謝到來
I didn't know what to do, or...
我不知該做什么,或是...
this is a horrible thing.
這太可怕了
Oh, I'm sorry.
噢,抱歉
Where are my manners?
我的禮貌哪去了?
May I offer you something to drink?
給您拿些飲料好嗎?
Maybe we should start with the kitchen.
也許我們該先去廚房看看
Yes, okay, um,
好的,是的,嗯
I apologize in advance for...
我先要表達歉意,為了?
you know...
你知道的?
the mess. I didn't mean for this to happen.
一團糟,我不是故意的
I don't know what to do.
我不知道該怎么辦
See?
看見了?
I told you.
我告訴過你了
Mr. Ferrion, you really do need to call the police.
Ferrion先生,你必須得報警了
First, I need to know my options.
但首先,我要知道自己有哪些選擇
Besides Brazil?
包括逃亡巴西?
Well, sometimes, there's circumstances that excuse or, or justify.
總有合理的解釋或正當的理由
I, I really need to know what's available to me.
我想知道還能有什么辦法
Could you first tell me how she came to be lying dead on the floor?
先說說她怎么死在地上的?
I hit her on the head with a skillet.
我用煎鍋砸了她的腦袋
Cast iron.
鐵制的
But it wasn't premeditated or planned.
但這絕無預謀
It was just...
只是?
one of those things.
就這么發生了
She was berating me like she does all the time...
她像往常一樣不停數落我
how I don't make enough money, how I'm weak.
我不會賺錢,我弱懦無能
All the time, the same litany of how I am a failure.
不停的念叨我是個失敗者
It makes me so enraged.
這讓我非常生氣
It sounds like an accidental skillet bopping so far.
聽起來像是意外地砸到了
She kept on and on,
她不停的說啊說
and I kept squeezing it tighter and tighter without even realizing it.
我的手無意識地越攥越緊
And then, I swung.
然后,我揮了過去
But I swear, Mr. Shore, I never decided to.
可我發誓,肖爾先生,,我沒想要這么做的
Suddenly, my arm was in motion.
突然間,我的胳膊動了
Bam! I hit her, and she went down.
"乓"!我打中了她,她就倒下了
What do I do?
我都做了什么?!
I certainly can't advise you to conceal evidence in any way,
我不能建議你掩蓋證據
but I'm afraid you're going to have to call the police, Mr. Ferrion.
但恐怕你必須報警,Ferrion先生
And if you don't, I'll have to.
如果你不去,我會去
But you're my lawyer. I understand, but...
但你是我的律師,我知道,但?
What am I gonna tell them?
我該對警察說什么呢?
I thought you said she was dead.
我以為你說過她死了
She is. I checked her pulse.
她是死了,我搭過她的脈搏
Sometimes the air remaining inside the body escapes,
有時殘留在尸體內的氣體會逸出
causing...
造成?
You need not call the police, Mr. Ferrion.
你不用報警了,Ferrion先生
Call for an ambulance.
叫救護車
Mother is still alive.
你母親還活著
Would you like to hit her again?
要不要再砸她一次?
Did I witness any of it?
我是否目擊?
Mr. Zenawi
澤維納先生,
before I can figure out if there is a claim,
在我決定是否可以起訴之前
I first need to satisfy standing.
需要先滿足起訴的標準
It would certainly help if we could make out a case for you specifically.
說清楚了,對我們的工作會很有幫助
Legally, we have a term called zone of danger.
法律上講,我們有個專業詞匯,叫危險范圍
Basically, if you were in harm's way yourself.
簡單點說,就是當時你是否也受到了傷害
That's why I asked if you've ever witnessed any of it.
所以我問你是否目擊過當時的事件
I heard it once.
我聽過一次
You heard it?
聽過?
This past Summer, I was with relatives.
那個夏天,我和親戚們在一起
We were celebrating one of my uncles' birthdays.
給我一個叔叔過生日
The army showed up, and, um,
軍隊突然闖進來,然后,唔
they, um...
他們,唔?
they accosted us.
他們逼近我們挑釁說
Accosted you by...
說...
They told us we were slaves,
他們說我們是奴隸
that we had no right to be in the country, that, um,
我們沒有權力呆在這個國家
we were occupying grazing land for their cattle.
說我們侵占了他們放牧的土地
My uncle protested.
我的叔叔抗議他們的說法
They took him behind a barn structure...
他們就把他帶到谷倉后面?
and set him on fire.
在他身上點了火
We all heard the screams.
我們都聽到了那慘叫
And then they raped one of my cousins.
然后他們又強奸了堂妹
Does that set out a case for me...
這是否足夠?
specifically...
清楚地...
to listen to your, uh,
聽到了
uncle being burned to death,
自己的叔叔被活活燒死
your cousin being raped?
自己的堂妹被強奸?
It's not that I am not relieved.
不是我不放心
I am.
我放心了
I certainly do love her, but what if she tells?
我當然是愛她的,但萬一她說出來怎么辦?
Perhaps you should have used a bigger frying pan.
也許你該用個更大的煎鍋
Mr. Ferrion
Ferrion先生
did you see what happened?
你看見發生了什么嗎?
No, um, she was on a stool putting some things away.
沒有,她站在凳子上放東西
I went upstairs to have a bath.
我上樓去沖個澡
I heard a crash, I came running back,
我聽到有東西倒下來,就連忙跑回來
and she is on the floor unconscious.
看見她昏倒在地板上
And you are? This is Alan Shore.
你又是?這位是艾倫·肖爾
He's a friend of the family.
他是我家的一個朋友
Bernie, you surprise me. Bernie
你真讓我吃驚
Is she gonna be okay?
她會沒事嗎?
We don't know, sir.
還不知道,先生
I have a crazy idea.
我有個瘋狂的想法
Already?
有了?
In tort law, you see a guy lying on the side of the street,
依照侵權法,當你看見有人倒在路邊
you have no obligation to pull over and help.
你沒有義務停車去幫他
But if you do pull over, you incur a duty to complete that rescue.
但一旦你停車,那你就有義務去完成救助
The theory being other would-be rescuers pass by,
因為其他本愿,幫忙的人會走開
thinking help is already on the scene.
他們認為已經,有人去幫忙了
And?
所以?
The United states has declared a war on terrorism.
美國向恐怖主義宣戰
We've talked the talk when it comes to Sudan,
當恐怖主義降臨到蘇丹,我們也如此聲明
we've even given financial aid.
甚至提供了經濟援助
Our theory of law would be analogous.
我們適用的法律原理是類似的
Other countries have stayed out,
其他國家都袖手旁觀
thinking America's stepping in when we're not.
認為美國已經介入,而事實卻不是
It's not a winner.
這不足以打贏官司
But perhaps colorable enough to sue and make noise.
但夠我們起訴,鬧騰一番
Go draft the complaint.
去起草訴狀吧
And?
還有呢?
Thank you.
謝謝
Lori Colson, you slut. Lori Colson
你這小蕩婦
How are you, Shirley?
你好嗎,雪莉?
Old. Rich.
年老,富有
You look great.
你看起來很不錯
So, who are we sleeping with?
現在和誰上床呢?
Oh, usual suspects.
噢,還那幾個
You back for good?
回來有什么好事?
Just for bad.
全是麻煩事
Wanna grab a beer later and do a little debriefing?
晚點喝一杯聊聊?
Love it.
樂意至極
You look awesome, by the way.
你看起來也棒極了
I know.
我知道
I certainly don't mind him talking to you.
我當然不介意他和你談
Look, he already has.
你瞧,他已經這么做了
But if I let him take a polygraph?
但如果我讓他接受測謊呢?
Come on, I could be sued for malpractice.
拜托,我會被追究失職的
How is it exactly you came to be here, Mr. Shore?
你到底怎么會在這的,肖爾先生
I drove.
開車來的
Bernie's a friend, I'm here as his friend.
伯尼是我朋友,我作為朋友過來
And since I am a lawyer, look, come on,
不過既然我是律師,你看
there's no sign of a struggle.
沒有打斗的痕跡
She slipped and fell,
她滑倒了
and hit her head on either the table or counter or stool, floor.
頭撞到了桌子,柜子,或是凳子,地上
Your experts will figure it out.
你們的專家會發現的
He'd like to go to the hospital to be with his mother.
他現在想去醫院陪媽媽
Can I tell him he can do that?
我能告訴他,可以這么做嗎?
Tell him not to leave the jurisdiction.
告訴他別離開我們的管轄
I heard some of that. Do they suspect me?
我聽到了些,他們懷疑我嗎?
It's crossed their minds.
他們這么想過
Well, you should know that
這個,你該知道
if you're gonna pass yourself off as my friend...
如果你想一直以朋友的身份出現
You did that, Bernie.
是你說的,伯尼
You should know that my friends call me Bernard.
你該知道朋友都叫我伯納德
Ah, so I guess that would make me your special friend.
哦,那我就是你特別的朋友
Tell me, Bernie,
告訴我,伯尼
what exactly became of the skillet?
那只煎鍋現在究竟怎樣了?
You weren't expecting them to throw a parade for you, were you?
你沒指望他們夾道歡迎你,對吧?
No, but if I get too much resistance,
是的,但如果抵抗太厲害
I assume I'm permitted to bring my big broom out of the closet.
我柜子里的大掃帚就能出動了
Is that how you get around, on your big broom?
你就是這么四處晃的,騎著掃帚?
Shirley, this is Alan Shore.
雪莉,這是艾倫·肖爾
We've met. Yes, Shirley was in the men's room earlier.
我們見過了,是的,雪莉早先在男洗手間
Inspecting his fixtures.
檢查他的裝備
I'm a micromanager.
我事必躬親
Mr. Shore?
肖爾先生?
I thought you were going to the hospital.
我以為你去了醫院
I did. We have a little problem.
我去過了,有點小問題
Excuse me, I have a client.
抱歉,我這有個客戶
Maybe we can catch up later, Shirley.
我們下次接著聊,雪莉
Good. You can tell me about your products.
沒問題,到時你可以介紹你的設備
An excellent lawyer.
一位出色的律師
If I determine he should go...
如果我決定他走人?
he goes.
他就得走
She's vegetative.
她現在是植物人
The doctors think it's 50/50 if she'll come out of it.
醫生說她醒過來的機會有一半
In the meantime, and, uh,
同時
I say this with a heavy heart.
說這些我心情沉重
My mother used to be a Christian scientist, as did I.
我母親曾經是,基督科學教派信徒,我也是
She hasn't been one for years.
她已很多年不信教了
But I...
但是我...
I let it slip out to the doctors that she recently rededicated herself to the faith.
我透露給醫生說,她最近又重拾信仰
And they've made inquiries
他們就問了些
as to her position on medical treatment.
關于她的治療意愿
I really don't think she would want to be on a respirator,
我相信她不愿意,依靠人工呼吸器
as much as it pains me to admit.
盡管這樣說我很心痛
You let it slip out that your mother is a born-again Christian scientist?
你告訴別人,你母親是個回歸信仰的基督徒?
May I ask, did your mother rededicate herself to Christian science
能否告訴我,你母親回歸基督教科學派
before or after you hit her on the head with the skillet?
在你用煎鍋砸她腦袋前還是后?
I don't appreciate that question.
我不喜歡這個問題
What are you asking me for, Bernie?
你要我做什么,伯尼?
Again, as much as it pains me,
真的,這樣我真的很痛心
I'd like you to safeguard her religious freedom.
我希望你維護我母親的信仰自由
We filed last night. U.S. Attorney's office didn't waste any time.
我們昨晚遞交了,美國聯邦檢察官辦公室反應迅速
They brought a 12-B-6. Sovereign immunity.
他們提出12-B-6,主權豁免
Mm-hmm, this may be our one day in court.
嗯,我們在庭上只能堅持一天
And therefore, our one day to make noise.
也是制造輿論唯一的一天
We've put out a release. There should be media in the room.
我們會放出消息,到時候媒體會到場
Can you join for the motion? I'd like to make a big showing.
你能來嗎?我希望場面夠隆重
Should we get Denny?
需要丹尼嗎?
Maybe not that big.
這還不至于
It'll help to have him at the table.
有他在會有幫助
Shirley, I want you to think back and tell me Shirley
回憶一下然后告訴我
who is the best attorney you have ever seen in court.
誰是你在法庭上見過的最棒的律師?
Me.
我
We need to survive a 12-B-6 on a pretty untenable claim.
我們要用個很難辯護的論點對抗12-B-6
How would you feel about joining us for oral arguments?
你愿意參加法庭辯論嗎?
What's the claim?
具體是什么?
We're suing the United states government
我們狀告美國政府
for the genocide that's taking place in Sudan.
基于發生在蘇丹的種族清洗
What's so untenable about that?
那有什么難的?
And this is why I love her.
這就是我喜歡她的地方
Alan, we're making a show of force in a high-profile matter.
艾倫,我們要在一個案子中高調露面
Could we trouble you to join us for a motion this morning?
能麻煩今早加入我們嗎?
I'd love to.
我很想去
But, see, I have a client who hit his mother on the head with a skillet.
但你看,我有個當事人,用煎鍋砸了母親腦袋
We're trying to take her off life support.
我們正努力切斷,她的生命維持系統
And the police have brought some nuisance action to try
但有警察討厭的阻礙
to keep her breathing, buggers that they are.
想讓她活下去,這幫混蛋
By the way, my fixtures remain available for further inspection.
我的設備隨時,恭候你的進一步檢查
Paul
保羅
He's funny.
他很有趣
Denny, may we borrow your prowess for a motion this morning?
丹尼,能否勞駕你參加今早的案子?
Why did you bring Shirley Schmidt back here?
你為什么把雪莉·施密特叫回來?
Because we need her.
因為我們需要她
Well, then, go borrow her prowess.
那就去勞駕她吧
It was a betrayal.
這是背叛
Calling her back here says I'm not enough.
讓她回來,就是說我不夠格
Can you get that?
你能理解嗎?
I can.
我明白
Then why did you do it?
那為什么?
You're not enough.
你不夠格
I still matter, my friend.
我還是有分量的,我的朋友
Yes, you do,
是的,你確實是
which is why I asked you to be present for this motion.
所以我需要你今天露面
There's another problem you don't even know about.
還有點你不了解
Which is?
什么?
That woman...
那個女人?
she's hot for me.
對我還很有吸引力
Certainly there's a state interest in preserving life, your honor.
國家以保護生命為首要,法官大人
If a patient wishes to refuse medical treatment based on religious practices...
如果病人因為宗教原因拒絕治療...
First of all, we don't know that. Objection, your honor.
首先,我們不能確定這點,反對,法官大人
You can't preface your second point with "first of all."
你不能管第二個觀點叫“首先”
This woman has forsaken Christian science.
這個女人已經放棄了基督科學教信仰
We have no assurance... According to her son,
我們不能保證?她的兒子證明了
she's recommitted herself... A son who might be a suspect
她已回歸?如果裁定對方不合法
if we determine there was foul play. We're dealing with a potential homicide.
兒子也將有嫌疑,這很可能是一起謀殺案
Well, if the goal is to charge homicide, it makes little sense to keep the victim alive.
如果要指控謀殺,受害者更沒必要活下去了
I could be wrong. I object to this smugness, your honor.
我也許說錯了,我反對這種裝模作樣,法官大人
A human life is at stake here.
一條生命正懸于此地
The family of Della Ferrion is here today
Della Ferrion的家人今天就在這
saying it is her wish not to be kept alive on a respirator.
告訴我們她不愿依靠人工呼吸系統
And it is simply way too early to make that call. She could recover.
這個決定為時過早,她有可能會恢復
The suggestion that... The issue isn't recovery,
這種建議?關鍵不在于她是否能恢復
it's religious freedom, which is sacred in this country.
而是我們國家神圣的,宗教信仰自由
Unless, of course, you're muslim.
當然,除非你是穆斯林
I'm gonna have to cut you both off.
我要打斷你們
We've just received word from the hospital.
我們剛剛收到醫院來的消息
Mrs. Ferrion has evidently regained consciousness.
Ferrion夫人已明顯恢復意識
Excellent.
很好
No comment. We have no comment at this time.
無可奉告,現在無可奉告
We'll be making a comment after the motion.
我們稍后將發表評論
Denny Crane Denny Crane. I eat cocoa puffs.
我吃可可酥
Denny Crane
丹尼·克蘭
Cuckoo for cocoa puffs.
我為可可狂,
Denny Crane...
丹尼·克蘭...
They're seeking damages for acts committed by a foreign government
他們企圖追究的是他國政府
against a foreign citizenry.
對他國國民的行為
There's no jurisdiction here, no standing.
沒有司法權,也沒有立場
And even if there were,
即使有
any such lawsuit would be barred by sovereign immunity,
任何這樣的起訴,都將因主權豁免被撤銷
which prohibits the U.S. Government or its officials
從而避免美國政府及其官員
from being sued for foreign policy decisions.
因對外決策而被起訴
Ms. Colson, I have to agree. Ms. Colson
我必須同意這點
How do I not toss this on its face?
如此明顯我怎能不裁決呢?
First,
首先
the United states government, through congress,
美國政府已通過國會
ratified the U.N. convention against genocide.
認可了聯合國反種族屠殺公約
The government's current failure to stop the genocide in Sudan
政府對蘇丹種族屠殺的這種不作為
violates both U.S. law and policy.
違背了美國的法律及政策
We have not failed, we have expended....
我們沒有不作為,我們已經花費了...
You're arguing the merits, which I'm happy to do, but it means a trial.
如果你想辯論,我很樂意,但那要在庭審中
If a government begins a rescue operation
如果政府已經展開援助
which, in effect, stops other countries from pursuing that rescue,
從而造成其他國家不再施以援手
that government can be held liable for failing to complete that rescue.
這個政府就應為自己,未完成援助而負責
Never! Never has the United states government attempted any rescue mission in Sudan.
沒有!美國政府從未在蘇丹境內,進行任何援助行動
Your honor, may I?
法官大人,我可以說兩句嗎?
We know this lawsuit is a bit of a stretch.
我們知道這個案子有點勉強
You understate it. But the truth is,
你也知道,但事實上
our country puts it out there.
是我們的國家這樣宣稱
"We will root out terrorism wherever it thrives."
“我們將鏟除任何地方所盛行的恐怖主義”
We elect our presidents on that theme.
我們也正以此選舉著自己的總統
We go to war over it.
我們更因此投入戰爭
Wherever oppression abounds, we get involved.
只要有壓迫,我們都不會袖手旁觀
It's almost become a motto.
這幾乎成為座右銘
No one here denies an ethnic genocide is taking place in Sudan.
這里沒人否認蘇丹正遭受著種族清洗
Arab militia are wiping out the black population of Darfur.
阿拉伯軍隊正在掃除,達爾富爾的黑色人種
Am I boring you?
讓你感到無聊了?
Ms. Schmidt, the court recognizes the atrocity.
施密特女士,法庭承認暴行的存在
Why should the United states be held liable?
但美國政府為何要對此負責?
Well, if we're not going to do anything about it,
如果我們不打算做些什么
maybe we should just say so.
或許我們該直說
Lord knows the world will understand.
上帝知道世界會理解的
We've certainly got our hands full.
我們已經自顧不暇
But when our leaders do their bipartisan puffing,
但當我們的領導人,吹噓著兩黨的共同決定
saying the genocide must stand
說種族滅絕必須停止
other countries think we're going to do something.
其他國家會認為我們準備采取行動
They then stay out of it. And in the end, nothing gets done.
所以他們都不插手,于是最后,什么也沒發生
while millions of people are being persecuted.
任由數百萬的人遭受迫害
Maybe as a compromise,
可以算是妥協方案
we could just get the U.S. government to declare for the record,
我們只要美國政府正式聲明
"hey, not our problem."
“嘿,不關我們的事”
That way, the world would be on notice somebody else should play hero.
這樣世界會知道,需要其他國家伸張正義
I could try to sell that to my client.
我可以說服委托人接受
Mr. Joiner? The United states response to an ethnic genocide is
Joiner先生,美國政府對種族屠殺的回應
certainly not gonna be "hey, not our problem."
當然不會是“嘿,不關我們的事”
See, this is how other countries get confused.
瞧,其他國家就這樣給搞糊涂的
We're satisfied the judge took it under advisement.
我們很滿意法官將會慎重考慮
It at least demonstrates a recognition on her part
至少表明她個人認同
that we have a colorable cause of action.
我們起訴的緣由有些道理
Did you understand a word that was said in there?
剛才說的你聽懂了嗎?
Just go with it.
別去計較了
Denny Crane. Trix are for kids.
丹尼·克蘭,孩子們的Trix
Glad to meet you.
很高興見到你們
Did he just say, "trix are for kids?"
他剛才是說“孩子們的Trix”?
He did.
他是這么說
She's very weak, of course, and quite sedated.
她很虛弱,麻醉還未失效
Can I talk to her?
我能和她說話嗎?
For a minute or two. I'd like her to rest.
一兩分鐘,她需要休息
Mom?
媽媽?
Mom?
媽媽?
It's me.
是我
Bernard
伯納德
Bernard
伯納德
The doctors say you're gonna be just fine.
醫生說你會好起來的
You just need to rest, mother.
你只是需要休息,媽媽
My Bernard.
我的伯納德
He hit me on the head.
他砸了我的腦袋
I think with a skillet.
我想是用了一只煎鍋
Ma...
媽?
what are you talking about?
你在說什么呢?
You fell.
你摔倒了
You tried to kill me.
你想要殺了我
She's a Chatty Cathy.
她是愛說話的凱西娃娃,
If we're going to work together, we should reach some kind of accord.
如果要一起工作,我們必須達成些一致
I don't wanna be working together. That's the whole point I'm trying to make.
我不想和你一起工作,這就是我一直在表達的
Can you tell me why? Well, first off, you're a Liberal.
你能告訴我為什么嗎?首先,你是自由黨人
Yes. Besides that?
是的,還有呢?
I figured out what you were doing in court today.
我知道你今天在法庭上做了什么
You were Bush-bashing. I assure you I wasn't.
你在抨擊布什,我發誓不是
You made war comments.
你評論戰爭
When a Liberal makes comments about the war,
當自由黨人發表關于戰爭的言論
they're Bush-bashing. It's un-American.
他們就在抨擊布什,這不是美國人該做的
To criticize a president? While he's in office, yes.
因為批評總統?當他還在任時,是的
Denny, you and I go way back.
丹尼,你我又繞回來了
I know you.
我了解你
Your aversion to my return has nothing to do with politics.
你反對我回來和政治沒關系
Can we talk about it?
可以談談到底為什么嗎?
You left me, Shirley.
你離開了我,雪莉
Women don't leave Denny Crane.
女人不會離開丹尼·克蘭
And for a secretary?
還只是為了個部長?
It was the Secretary of Defense.
是國防部長
It doesn't matter. I have an image.
這無關緊要,我有我的形象
One could even say I'm, I'm all image.
甚至說,我就是形象
One could.
是可以這么說
Imagine the fun working together again.
想想又能一起工作的樂趣
It won't be fun.
不可能
There's only room for one at the mountaintop.
頂峰上只能站一個人
It's my mountain.
這是我的山峰
Denny...
丹尼...
The judge just called us back.
法官剛剛傳喚我們
Already?
這么快?
Is there any way that could be a good sign?
有沒有可能是好兆頭?
I was hoping to at least survive till the 6:00 news.
我原希望至少捱到晚間六點新聞
He called the police?
他報警了?
I'm afraid so. What do I do? What do I do?
我想是的,我該怎么辦?我該怎么辦?
Well, Brazil come back to mind.
我又想到巴西了
Bernie, listen to me,
伯尼,聽我說
if you were overcome, like you say, when this happened...
如果當時你過激了,就像你說的
I was. I, I obviously had problems with her, Mr. Shore,
是這樣的,我雖然對她有意見,肖爾先生
but I truly never intended to kill her.
但我從沒想要殺她
I did not conscious...
我并不是有意的?
If we could show heat of passion...
如果能表明是一時沖動的...
I never broken a law in my life. She just got me so enraged.
我一生中從未犯過法,只是她讓我太生氣了
God...
上帝?
my life is over.
我的人生完了
Mr. Ferrion What?
Ferrion先生,什么事?
I, uh,
我,額
I'm very sorry to tell you,
我很抱歉通知您
your mother has passed away.
你的母親剛剛去世了
I beg your pardon?
什么?
She went back to sleep, and she just quietly passed.
她入睡后就安靜的走了
To be honest,
說實話
I might have a hard time finding Sudan on a map.
要在地圖上找蘇丹不容易
I certainly know they've got big problems,
我當然也知道他們的艱難境況
innocent people murdered every day, systemic rape, many of them children.
無辜生命每天慘遭殺害,大規模的強奸,許多還是孩子
It's the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
是世界上最嚴重的人道主義災難
Please don't say "but."
可別說“但是”
But...
但是?
why does every crisis automatically fall to the United states to solve?
為什么每個災難,都等著美國去解決
We've got Iraq, Iran, North Korea.
我們有伊拉克問題,伊朗問題,北朝鮮問題
and these are people who might murder us.
還有人想要殺害我們
We're supposed to tend to a bunch of Africans killing each other?
我們還要去摻和,非洲人的互相廝殺嗎?
Why? Because we're Americans?
為什么?因為我們是美國人?
The answer is...
回答是?
yes.
是的
Because we're Americans.
因為我們是美國人
Because we're a nation, perhaps the nation,
因為我們是一個,或許也該那個
that's supposed to give a damn.
會給予譴責的國家
What's going on is an organized extermination of an entire race of people.
現在所發生的是,有組織的滅絕全人類的種族
We're the country that's supposed to give a damn.
我們就該是插手的國家
Ms. Schmidt Ms. Colson
施密特女士,科爾森小姐
your claim here most likely won't survive some re-judgment and,
你們的訴求,可能很難通過二審
maybe the American people don't care about what's happening over there, but,
美國人也許不在乎那里,發生了什么,但是
for today, here, now,
今天,這里,此刻
at least one federal court judge does.
至少一個聯邦法官,在乎
Defendant's motion to dismiss...
被告不予受理的請求...
Denied!
駁回
Can't believe it.
難以置信
Neither can I.
我也是
I thought perhaps I'd be relieved if she died.
我以為她死了,我會解脫
But the truth is, um,
但事實上是
she's all I really had.
她是我的一切
I lived with her.
我和她一起生活
I can't believe she's gone.
不敢相信她就這么去了
She looks at peace.
她看上去很安詳
Though she did on the kitchen floor as well.
和她在廚房地上一樣
Mr. Shore, can you make room for the possibility Mr. Shore
您能相信嗎
that I both killed my mother,
我殺了自己的母親
and I'm devastated with losing her?
同時又為失去她痛不欲生嗎?
I can.
我理解
I'm so sorry.
我非常抱歉
Mother, I'm so sorry.
媽媽,我很抱歉
Bernard Ferrion
Bernard Ferrion.
That's me.
我是
Kidding.
開玩笑
I'm Bernard Ferrion.
我是Bernard Ferrion
You're under arrest for the murder of Della Ferrion.
你因涉嫌謀殺Della Ferrion被逮捕
Please place our hands behind your back.
請將雙手放到背后
Yes, sir. You have the right to remain silent. -
是的,警官,你有權保持沉默
Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.
你所說的一切將成為呈堂證供
You have the right to hire an attorney and have him present before any questioning.
你有權請律師,并在訊問時要求他在場
If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed to you by the courts.
如果你負擔不起律師,法庭將為你指派一名
You just waive your right to be silent, make a statement...
你放棄在供訴前保持沉默的權利?
32611, commonwealth vs Ferrion, charge of murder in the first.
聯邦32611號,控告Ferrion一級謀殺
Alan Shore appearing for the defendant. We'll waive reading.
艾倫·肖爾辨方律師,開門見山
I'd ask that my client be released on his own recognizance.
我請求允許當事人保釋自己
Opposed, the man is charged with homicide.
反對,這個人被指控謀殺
Bail would certainly... He has no record, your honor.
保釋應當?他沒有前科,法官大人
He would be a threat to society. Nonsense.
他對社會造成威脅,一派胡言
He only kills mothers, allegedly. And he's fresh out of them.
他只殺了自己的母親,對方說的,還只是初犯
Bail is set at $1 million. Let's conference tomorrow at 9:00 A.M.
保釋金一百萬,明天早上9點開會
We'll set up a trial schedule.
安排審訊計劃
Wait, one second your honor.
等等,法官大人
It seems there's been a terrible mistake.
似乎有個嚴重的錯誤
My client never should have been arrested.
我的當事人不該被捕
Because? There's no evidence.
因為?沒有證據
According to the police report,
根據警方報告
there's been no determination of cause of death, no witnesses.
死因未定,也沒有證人
The victim identified the defendant as the killer.
被害人證實被告就是兇手
That would be hearsay. It was a dying declaration,
那是傳聞,是被害人的遺言
and therefore an exception to the hearsay rule.
屬于傳聞證據否定法的例外
For the dying declaration exception to apply,
遺言要被采用
the declarant must know he or she is about to die when making the statement.
立遺言人在做表述時,必須知道自己將要死去
Mrs. Ferrion was told by the doctor she was gonna survive.
而Mrs. Ferrion被醫生告知,可以活下去
She never thought for a second she was gonna die.
她沒想到過自己會死
Even so, your honor,
即使如此,法官大人
for her to incriminate her own son would be a declaration against her interest,
指控自己兒子的罪行有背她的利益
which would also qualify as an exception to the hearsay rule.
這也符合傳聞證據否定法的例外
I refer your honor to officer Coulier's...
法官大人,請看Coulier警官在
interviews with the neighbors noted at the bottom of the page.
此頁底部記錄的,和周圍鄰居的談話
"Mr. Ferrion was reportedly verbally abused by his mother."
“據反映,Ferrion先生經常被母親羞辱”
"She would blame himfor anything that went wrong in her life."
"她將生活中所有不順,歸咎于兒子"
Well, here again, she was blaming him for the bump on her head.
你看,又一次,她將自己撞破腦袋,算到了兒子帳上
It was not a declaration against her interests,
這不是有違她利益的陳述
but just more of the same.
只是和往常一樣
The court cannot be satisfied as to its reliability.
法庭不能采信
The hearsay rule very much applies.
絕對適用傳聞證據否定
Is this all you've got, the statement of the victim?
你們只有這個,受害者的陳述?
We'll get more.
我們會找到更多的
Well, when you do, you can refile. Right now you've got nothing.
那等你找到了再來吧,現在你什么也沒有
The victim's statement is inadmissible.
被害人陳述不足采信
The charges against Mr. Ferrion are dismissed without prejudice.
對Ferrion先生的控告駁回
I can't believe it. I just, I can't believe it.
我不敢相信,我真是不敢相信
It's been an exciting week. Do you think they'll be back for me? -
真是刺激的一周,你認為他們再找上我嗎?
Frankly, Bernie, I don't think they'll get the evidence,
坦白地說,伯尼,我不認為他們找得到證據
which, I can see, brings you right back to.
把你逮回去
I can't believe it.
我不敢相信
May I say something else?
我能說幾句嗎?
I see in you, Bernie, an innately kind person.
在我看來,伯尼,你的天性善良
A man whose docile, gentle nature
溫順,溫和
was worn down by a relentlessly mean, dark-hearted woman.
卻被一個苛刻,刻薄,黑心腸的女人慢慢耗盡了
I could be wrong, but...
也許我錯了,但?
I'm hoping...
我希望?
it's the kind, gentle person who goes on from here,
今天從這離開的,是個善良溫順的人
not the one who swung that skillet.
而不是揮舞著煎鍋的暴徒
I promise you with all my heart.
我向你發誓
You don't have to worry about that.
你不必擔心
Bernie
伯尼
through your grief, which I know is very real,
我能體會你悲傷的真切
try to see this as an opportunity.
但試著將它看成一次機會
For once, finally,
終于,有這么一天
you get to live your life free of mother.
你可以擺脫母親,過自己的生活
Now, international news.
現在是國際新聞
According to the United nations secretary general Kofi Annan,
聯合國秘書長科菲.安南表示
one in three people in Darfur now requires lifesaving assistance,
三分之一的達爾富爾人民急需救助
due to either violence or malnutrition.
因為受到暴力傷害及營養不良
Efforts to negotiate a peaceful solution to the underlying...
和平解決的談判努力針對潛在?
What you doing?
你在干嗎?
Watching the news.
看新聞
CBS just declared Bush the winner.
CBS剛宣布布什獲勝
Cheers. Cheers.
干杯,干杯
I see our little case is getting play.
我看見這案子正發生作用
You think it could actually make a difference?
你認為它真能改變什么嗎?
I remember reading when the press went to Bosnia,
我記得媒體到波斯尼亞時
people rejoiced at the sight of American media.
那里的人見到他們都歡欣鼓舞
They figured if word got out, something would be done,
他們相信只要消息傳出去,就會有人來干涉
murders and rapes would stop.
來制止那里的謀殺與強奸
They waited...
他們等呀等?
and they waited...
等呀等?
and nobody came.
然而沒有人來
Maybe we need Sudan to attack us.
也許蘇丹襲擊我們就好了
We might fall short as humanitarians, but we're pretty good avengers.
我們或許稱不上人道主義者,但至少算是優秀的復仇家
If you don't mind, I'll cling to the idea we're still pretty decent humanitarians.
我堅持認為咱們還是,不錯的人道主義者
What's that?
那是什么?
I don't know. I thought it was from you. I was waiting to open it.
不知道,我以為你送的,我還沒打開
It's not from me.
不是我送的
"Objects in mirror are bigger than they appear."
“鏡中的事物比實際要大”
He's funny.
他很有趣
He's also trouble, isn't he?
他也是個麻煩,不是嗎?
She's big trouble.
她是個大麻煩
Did she break your heart?
她傷了你的心?
She might have.
也許吧
So what?
這又怎么樣?
I've had my heart broken lots of times.
我的心被傷過無數次了
It stings for a minute.
就疼一會兒
I would think it would be fun to have her back.
我會認為她回來,是件很有趣的事
I don't know about you, but when I travel,
不知道你怎么看,但當我旅行時
going to new places isn't always as interesting
去新地方總比不上
as revisiting some of the old ones.
故地重游有意思
What is it that has you so balled up?
什么讓你這么畏首畏尾?
She isn't slipping, that's what.
她沒有變老,這是關鍵
You're worried about her seeing you age?
你擔心她發現你老了?
You might not believe this.
你也許不會相信
But I was once a very remarkable man.
但我曾是個非常出眾的男人
Denny
丹尼
Denny
丹尼
You're a remarkable man.
你是個非常出眾的男人
Between you and me,
你知我知,我告訴你
that woman is too much for me.
我配不上這個女人
Between you and me,
你知我知
we'll take her.
我們會搞定她的
I'd like that.
我喜歡這個
I'd like that.
我喜歡這個