Previously on Boston legal
前情提要
I hit her on the head with a skillet.
我用煎鍋打了她的頭
It wasn't premeditated or planned.
我沒有預謀或計劃這么做
She was berating me. Suddenly, my arm was in motion.
她正在罵我,突然,我的胳膊就動了
Bam! I hit her, and she went down.
砰!我打到她,她就倒了
Oh!
噢!
Mom...
媽媽...
he hit me on the head with a skillet.
他打我的頭,用煎鍋
He called the police?
他叫了警察?
I'm afraid so. What do I do?
恐怕是這樣,我該怎么辦?
Mr. Ferrion?
Ferrion先生?
What?
什么事?
Your mother has passed away.
你母親過世了
The victim identified the defendant as the killer.
受害者指認被告就是殺人犯
That would be hearsay. Is this all you've got?
傳聞證據,這就是你全部的證據?
We'll get more.
我們會找到更多的
The charges against Mr. Ferrion are dismissed without prejudice.
針對Ferrion先生的指控被撤銷
I see in you, Bernie, an innately kind person.
我看到你的內心深處,伯尼,你是一個生性善良的人
I'm hoping it's the kind and gentle person who goes on from here,
我希望你作為那個善良的人,從這里走出去
not the one who swung that skillet.
而不是那個揮舞著煎鍋的人
How bad is he?
他情況有多糟?
He's intermittently brilliant and nonsensical, often at the same time.
間歇性表現出杰出和荒唐,有時同時發作
And he's technically still in charge of litigation?
并且技術上來說他仍然負責訴訟?
Which is the reason I called you back.
這就是我把你召回來的原因.
He is an enormous rainmaker, Shirley.
他是個巨大的麻煩制造體,雪莉
And yet...
還有...
Lock and load.
準備妥當
Where is everybody?
大家都在哪里?
This is an administrative meeting, Denny.
這是個管理層會議,丹尼
Oh. What the hell am I doing here?
哦,那我在這做甚?
Remember the good old days
還記得以前那些好日子嗎?
when you liked to know what was going on,
你喜歡一切盡在掌握
when you could go from your office to the elevator without a road map?
可以不用地圖就能從辦公室走到電梯
Didn't need a road map...
不需要地圖
to find my way around your body, did I, Shirley?
我也可以找到你的身體,對吧,雪莉
I wouldn't know.
我不知道
I was usually asleep.
我通常都睡著了
I once had her and Streisand
我曾經和她還有史翠珊
at the same time.
同一時間
Remember that?
還記得那個嗎?
I do, Denny.
記得,丹尼
And not to burst your bubble, but that was a female impersonator.
不是潑你冷水,但那是個變裝癖
Perhaps the penis might've been your cue.
也許他的陰莖能給你提個醒
That wasn't Barbra Streisand?
那不是芭芭拉·史翠珊?
You wanted to see me?
你想見我?
Yes, Sally, bad news.
是的,薩莉,壞消息.
We lost the summary judgment motion on Winchell. Have a seat.
我們對溫切爾案的直接判決申請輸了,坐
Ah, we lost?
我們輸了?
The judge held that the magazine, while possibly negligent,
法官認為,雖然雜志社存在“疏忽大意”的可能性.
wasn't guilty of reckless disregard for the truth.
但對“罔顧事實”這項指控是無罪的
So we could prevail under negligence.
所以我們指控“疏忽大意”是可以贏的
We could, if only we'd thought to plead negligence.
可以,除非我們有這么做
Count one, intentional infliction of emotional distress.
第一點,故意導致精神傷害
Count two, reckless disregard for the truth.
第二點,罔顧事實真相
Here's where there should've been a third count alleging negligence.
這里應該有第三點指稱“疏忽大意”
There is no third count alleging negligence.
但是沒有
In, in the supporting memoranda,
在,在支持備忘錄里
we have pages on negligence. But you didn't plead it.
我們有講到“疏忽大意”但是你沒有用它作辯護理由
So we just file a motion to amend.
所以我們只需要提交一個修正文件
That deadline lapsed.
最后期限過了
Uh, this is...
呃,這個...
this is obviously an oversight.
很顯然是失誤
The defendant had constructive notice.
被告應該知道,
We can appeal this. I'll get right on it.
我們可以據此上訴,我會搞定它
I, I've taken the liberty of reviewing some of your other work, Sally.
我看過你之前的工作記錄,薩莉
You're a very good lawyer.
你是個非常好的律師
But not good enough. We're letting you go.
但是不夠好,我們要辭退你
You're firing me?
你要炒掉我?
I'm sorry.
我很抱歉
I have done a lot of good work here.
我在這里做了很多出色的工作
Yes, you have.
是的
And any number of law firms would be happy to have you.
很多律師所會很樂意雇用你
This one, unfortunately, just doesn't happen to be one of them.
但不幸的是,不包括這家公司
Are you in on this?
你也參與了?
Am I, am, am I in on this?
我,我有參與嗎?
It was my decision.
這是我的決定
Paul and Denny still remain strong supporters.
保羅和丹尼十分支持我
We're streamlining a little, and I have to make some tough calls.
公司要簡化組織,我不得不做出一些艱難的決定
I'm sorry.
我很抱歉
How can you come in here,
你怎么能夠剛到這里
and in one week, fire someone you don't even know?
才一個星期,就炒掉你根本不了解的人?
I'm Schmidt.
我是施密特
Nora, outstanding. Nora
漂亮
I give it a 3.
我打3分
Thank you.
謝謝
Mr. Crane.
克蘭先生
A Mr. Walter Fife is in your office. He says it's quite important.
一位叫沃爾特·法伊夫先生在你辦公室里,他說有重要的事
Oh, thank you.
哦,謝謝你
May I ask...
我可以問一下...
do I know you?
我認識你嗎?
I'm Alan Shore's assistant.
我是艾倫·肖爾的助理
Mr. Fife came to our office when he couldn't find you.
法伊夫先生找不到你,就到了我們辦公室
I escorted him back to your office.
我送他回你辦公室了
Excellent. I'll be right there.
很好,我馬上就過去
You're waiting for me to tell you where your office is, aren't you?
你在等我告訴你辦公室在哪嗎?
No, I want to see the look on your face
不,我想看看你的表情
when you realize they still come through that door
當你意識到他們走進來
looking for one man to solve their problems.
找尋能解決他們問題的人
They don't come barging in looking for Paul or you.
不是急著找保羅或者你
Only one man.
只找那一個男人
Allow me.
請允許我
Denny Crane
丹尼·克蘭
She can still pump my chubby.
她依然能把我的小象變大
Mrs. Schmidt.
施密特夫人
My mother is Mrs. Schmidt. You can call me Schmidt.
我母親才是施密特夫人,叫我施密特就好
I know you're a very busy person,
我知道你非常忙
but if I could steal one minute of your busy time...
我能不能就占用你幾分鐘...
Regarding?
關于?
It's a little personal.
私人問題
10 o'clock.
十點整
They didn't just sue the school board.
他們沒有起訴地區教育董事會
They sued me personally, which I regard as punitive.
而是起訴我個人,這是對我的報復
Walter, I can assure you, their cause of action is totally baseless.
沃爾特,我向你保證,他們的訴由完全沒有根據
I haven't even told you what it is yet.
我還沒告訴你是什么事情呢
Hi. Shirley Schmidt.
你好,我是雪莉·施密特
This is Walter Fife.
這是沃爾特·法伊夫
He's superintendent of the Middlesex school district.
他是米德爾塞克斯教育區的負責人
He's being sued.
他現在被人起訴
What'd you do, a little touchy-feely with a student?
你做了什么,跟學生親密接觸?
What?
什么?
God, no. What kind of question is that?
上帝,不,這算什么問題?
Oh, lighten up. Let's all sit.
哦,不要生氣,大家坐
Shirley here is a senior partner, so you're in good hands.
雪莉是這里的高級合伙人,都是好手
You got both Shirley and, um...
你同時擁有雪莉和?
You.
你
Me. Right. Good. Okay.
我,是的,好,不錯
Now, look, I'm gonna ask you something.
現在,我將問你一些事情
It's gonna be a question, and I want a direct answer,
可能會是個問題,我要直接的答案
no matter how difficult.
不管有多難
Okay.
好的
Why, Walter...
為什么,沃爾特...
are you being sued?
你會被起訴?
You promised you'd answer.
你答應過會回答
The school board voted to include
地區教育董事會投票決定
Creationism along with Darwinism in the 8th grade science curriculum.
在八年級的科學課上同時教授,神創論和達爾文進化論
The teachers refused, I terminated their employment.
老師們拒絕,我解雇了他們
They sued. Massachusetts is a blue state.
他們起訴我,馬薩諸塞州是藍州,
God has no place here.
這里沒上帝的位置
I'm not sure you're really the lawyer for this particular...
我不確定你是否適合這件特殊的...
We have many attorneys well-equipped to handle...
我們有許多訓練有素的律師,可以處理這個案子...
Nonsense. I've been practicing law for 45 years.
荒唐,我從事法律事業45年
Never lost a single case.
沒有輸過一起案件
You've never lost?
你從沒輸過?
My record is 6,043 to 0.
我的記錄,6043比0
You hear the one about the fella who died and went to the Pearly gates?
你有沒有聽過一個家伙死掉后,來到天國之門的故事?
St. Peter let him in,
圣皮特讓他進來
sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument,
看到一個西裝革履的人在做結案陳詞
says "who's that?"
便問,“那是誰?”
St. Peter says, "oh, that's god.
圣皮特說,“哦,那是上帝
Thinks he's Denny Crane. "
把他當成丹尼·克蘭就行”
I'm your boy, Walter.
我是你的好伙計,沃爾特
Never lost.
從沒輸過
Never will.
絕對不會
Did she give you a reason? Just that my work didn't cut it.
她有給你理由嗎?就因為我不能勝任
I mean, my reviews have all been good.
我的意思是,我的記錄一直很好
Plus, it's not like they've given me very much to do.
并且,他們也沒怎么讓我做事
The Winchell case was really the first one they let me run with.
溫切爾案是第一個真正讓我辦的案子
Well, you did forget to plead negligence.
你還忘記去辯“疏忽大意”
Sorry.
對不起
Let me talk to her, see if there's another story.
讓我和她談談,看看是不是有其他原因
I mean, is this woman some sort of psycho witch or something?
這個女人是心理有問題還是什么?
Actually, no, she's extremely nice.
事實上,她人非常的好
We all know she was sent to shake the tree.
我們都知道她要整頓內務
This looks like it's already begun.
看起來已經開始了
I wonder who's next.
我在想誰是下一個
Lori
洛里
Can I steal you for a second?
我能借用你幾分鐘嗎?
Sure.
當然
Dibs on her office.
輪流進她辦公室
I just heard about Sally. I think you're making a mistake.
我剛聽說薩莉的事,我認為你做了個錯誤的決定
I didn't ask. Which surprises me, actually.
我沒有問你,事實上,令我吃驚的是
You and I are friends.
我們是朋友
I've worked with Sally... and being loyal to her,
我和薩莉一起共事過... 忠于朋友
you'd possibly be neither objective nor candid.
你很可能既不客觀也不公正
Even so...
即使這樣...
In either event, I didn't ask.
無論怎樣,我沒有問你
We just got a new case. Big client.
我們剛接了一個新案子,大客戶
Middlesex school district.
米德爾塞克斯教育區
Denny's in charge, which is fine, as long as he doesn't speak.
丹尼負責,只要他不說話,一切都好
I need you to take over.
我需要你接管
How do I just take over?
我怎么接管?
He'll completely... you handle him, Lori,
他完全? 你可以搞定他,洛里
the way only you can.
用你獨有的方式
What's the case? It's a variation of the Scopes trial.
什么案子?就是斯科普斯案的變種,
Three teachers were fired for refusing to teach Creationism.
三個老師因拒絕教授神創論而被解雇
They've sued.
他們告上法庭
Sounds like a slam dunk for them.
聽起來穩操勝券,對他們來說
Perhaps.
也許
It would take some pretty ingenious lawyering on our part
我們將派出非常有獨創性的大律師
from not only a gift attorney,
不僅是有天賦的律師
but someone who's an expert in the field.
還要是這方面的專家
Meaning?
意思是?
Lori, I know all the skeletons in your closet, remember?
洛里,我了解你柜子里的每一格,記得嗎?
Including that deeply guarded little one
包括那些被你深深藏起
that you fear might ruin your intellectual reputation.
害怕會毀掉你知性形象的細微之處
You go to church.
你去教堂
Um, Schmidt, is this a good time?
呃,施密特,時間合適嗎?
Yeah.
是的
Conferenceroom, noon?
會議室,中午見?
Okay.
好的.
Thank you.
謝謝
How can I help?
我能幫什么忙?
Well, this is very awkward.
這件事很尷尬
I'm not even sure you're the right person to come to but...
我不知道找你合不合適,但是...
you're a woman.
你是個女人
That's very kind.
非常好
I work for Alan Shore.
我為艾倫·肖爾工作
And in many, many ways,
在很多很多方面
he's an excellent boss.
他是個非常出色的老板
God knows, he isn't boring.
上帝知道,他一點也不無聊
But I feel...
但是我感覺到...
that he's been inappropriate with me.
他對待我有些不恰當
How so?
怎樣?
Well, he compliments my figure daily.
他每天都稱贊我的身材
And he just kind of does it in a lascivious way.
還是那種好色的方式
He also ranks my sweaters.
他還給我的毛衣打分
He ranks your sweaters?
他給你的毛衣打分?
Yes.
是的
Which ones he thinks I look best in.
哪一件我穿著最好看
This is a 3.
這一件3分
He asked if he could take one home for the weekend.
他問我能不能周末帶一件回家
He told me he has dreams about me.
還說他做過關于我的夢
What kind of dreams?
什么樣的夢?
All kinds.
各種各樣
Uh, once he dreamt that I was just a head.
呃,有次他夢見我只剩一個頭
No body. Just a head and...
沒有身體,只有頭
everywhere he went, he would carry me along,
不管他去哪里,他都帶著我
wrapped in a muffler, to keep him company.
包在消聲器里,給他做伴
And every so often, I would whisper terrible,
時不時的,我在他耳邊說些
dirty things in his ear.
非常下流的事情
It feels a little like harassment. You think?
這讓我感覺像是騷擾,只是感覺?
Would you like to work for another lawyer?
你愿意換其他律師嗎?
Well, I'd just like him to stop.
我只想讓他別再這樣
I must admit that...
我必須承認...
sometimes, I've been guilty of playing along with his banter, but...
有時候,我為自己迎合他的戲謔感到羞愧,但是...
I'll take care of it.
我會處理
Thank you.
謝謝你
Nora,
諾拉
thank you for coming forward with this.
謝謝你來跟我談這件事
I know it was difficult.
我知道這很艱難
We have very little information,
我們的信息非常有限
other than the victim was in her 50s
只知道另一個受害者50多歲
and that she was bludgeoned to death.
因擊打致死
It is the second death in a week that has rocked this idyllic little street.
本周之內第二起死亡事件,再次震動了這個田園般的街區
Just last Friday, the victim's next-door neighbor
上星期五,這名受害者的鄰居
died as well from a head trauma.
也因頭部外傷死亡
You may recall the son was briefly held and then released.
那家的兒子被短暫拘留然后被釋放
What?
干嗎?
...indicated whether these two cases are connected
....這兩起案件是否有聯系
It's Bernie!
是伯尼!
Who?
誰?
My little skillet-wielding client from last week.
我上星期那個耍煎鍋的小個子客戶
He's whacked another one. He promised me he wouldn't.
他又砸了一個,他答應過我不干了
Does that mean you're...
這是不是意味著你...
finished?
結束了?
Alan?
艾倫?
What have you done?
你干什么了?
There's an awful lot of excitement. I saw.
你很激動,我知道
Both live and on the news.
新聞還有直播
You've been flailing again with your frying pan, haven't you, Bernard?
你又用煎鍋打人了,是不是,伯納德?
I never meant for it to happen. I am very disappointed.
我沒想做的,我太失望了
I gave you a terrific speech last week, Bernie,
上周我跟你很深刻的談了一次,伯尼
appealing to the kind inner you.
呼喚你善良內心
It was wonderful, poignant even,
我說的那么精彩,動人
and now you've completely mooted it by committing murder again.
現在你完全否定啊,又殺人
I never meant to kill her.
我沒想過殺她
Oh, what, you just went over there to make an omelet,
噢,你只是過去做蛋卷
and things got out of hand? She knew.
然后就失控了?她知道
She heard an argument between me and mother.
她聽到我們在吵架
She was out there watering her stupid plants,
她在外面給她的無聊植物澆水
in the winter, for god's sakes. The woman is not right.
在冬天,上帝,這個女人不正常
Or wasn't right.
或者曾經不正常
Alan, she said she was gonna call the police. Alan
她說她會報警
She said what she heard would not be hearsay.
她聽到的不會算是傳聞證據
She looked it up.
她查過
She said, because we were arguing,
她說,因為我們當時在爭吵
it would, it would qualify as an excited blutterance.
會,會被認為是動沖犯罪
Suddenly, the skillet was in my hand, and I swung.
突然,煎鍋在我手上,手一揮
Blutterance isn't even a real word,
動沖都不是一個真正的詞
much less a defense!
更不能做辯解!
You've murdered somebody over a fake word!
你因為一個不存在的詞謀殺了一個人!
I was careful to not leave any evidence.
我非常小心的沒有留下任何證據
I went over there, stealth-like.
我又悄悄地過去
Oh, for god's sake.
上帝啊
and I, I staged a break-in in the back.
并且我,我布置入室搶劫的現場
I dispatched of her, and then I returned.
我迅速處理了她,然后我就返回來
Alan, I promise you, this will be the very, very last one. Alan
我保證,這是最后最后一次
I'm not representing you this time.
這次我不會為你辯護
You must, if it comes to that. I won't.
你一定要,如果真的找上我,我不會
You've let me down terribly!
你讓我非常失望!
But, but you said that you stood for the little man!
但是,你說過你會為小人物挺身而出
I'm little!
我就很小!
The best thing, I feel,
最好的形勢,我認為
would be to go for an immediate declaratory judgment.
就是申請直接宣告判決,
The last thing we want is a trial.
我們最不希望開庭審判
This is a hot-button issue.
這是一個熱點問題
The ACLU will be jumping in, and that's only the beginning.
美國公民自由協會也將介入,但這還只是個開始
Why have I been taken off this case? You haven't.
為什么我被踢出這個案子?你沒有
You've been relieved of the grunt work because it's beneath you.
你從這種無聊工作中解脫了,殺雞焉用在牛刀
Relieve is a soft word for discharge.
解脫是解職的委婉說法
I recognize a demotion when I see one.
我一看就知道是降級
I am the master of the soft discharge.
我是委婉說法的大師
You refer again to when we were intimate.
我們還很親密的時候,你也很萎
Now pay attention, and pretend you have a clue.
現在注意,假裝你有線索
We all set?
我們準備好了嗎?
Lock and load.
準備就緒
Let's go.
出發
Lori
洛里
Alan
艾倫
Alan, a second.
艾倫,等等
We have a little problem.
我們有點小問題
It seems you've been sexually harassing Nora Jacobs.
似乎你一直在性騷擾諾拉·雅各布斯
She signed a waiver.
她簽了訴訟棄權書
I'm sorry?
對不起?
I make all my female employees sign sexual harassment waivers,
我讓我所有的女雇員簽了性騷擾訴訟棄權書
especially the pretty ones.
尤其是那些漂亮的
I don't think that document would hold up in court.
我不認為那些文件能在法庭上站得住腳.
But regardless, that kind of behavior isn't tolerated at Crane, Poole & Schmidt.
不管怎樣,這種行為在克蘭,普爾和施密特公司是不能容忍的
Which kind of behavior, specifically?
特別是哪種行為?
I think you're smart enough to sense where the line is, counselor.
我認為你足夠聰明,知道界限在哪里
I'm never sure until I cross it.
不越過界去,我從來不敢肯定
She is a subordinate. There is a disparity of power.
她是你的下屬,你們之間權力不對等
You will refrain from any sexual advances, verbal or otherwise.
你要節制一切的性表示,口頭上或者其他
Shirley.
雪莉
What about senior partners?
那高級合伙人呢?
There would be nothing wrong with me
我去騷擾他們總沒問題了吧?
lusting, say, after you, would there?
比如騷擾你
Go subscribe to National Geographic.
訂閱國家地理雜志
Make a list of all the places you'll never get to visit.
列出你永遠到不了的國家
Add to that list, Schmidt.
在最后加上,施密特
Sally, I'll talk to her, but other than that...
薩莉,我會和她談談,但是除了這個...
You can't pull some strings?
你不能在暗中幫幫忙?
What about Alan Shore? He's the one that pulls rabbits...
那艾倫·肖爾呢?,他很會揪兔子出來...
He's not a partner. You are.
他不是合伙人,你是
Besides, I slept with Alan Shore.
此外,我和艾倫·肖爾睡過
How objective can he... You also slept with me.
怎么會客觀的...你也和我睡過
Do you ever think that might be part of the problem?
你就沒想過這也會成問題?
That was unfair...
這不公平...
kicking me while I'm down.
對我落井下石
I guess I should've expected it.
我本該想到會這樣
The police want to question me.
警察想要詢問我
That's really a stunner, Bernie.
真是當頭一棒,伯尼
They arrested you last week for whacking your mother,
上周他們因你重擊你媽媽,把你逮捕
you got off on a technicality,
你因法律技術問題脫罪
now the woman next door turns up dead from a blow to the head.
現在,隔壁女人頭部被重擊致死
What could possibly make them think of you?
他們怎么會聯想到你?
Should I talk to them? I wouldn't.
我要和他們談談嗎?我不會
Where you once were convincing, you are now anything but.
以前你還能讓人相信,現在一點也不
I don't like it when you speak to me in these hurtful tones.
我不喜歡你用這么傷人的語氣說話
I am not an evil person. Yes, you are, Bernie.
我不是一個邪惡的人,你是的,伯尼
You've killed two people inside of a week.
你一周之內殺了兩個人
By definition, that makes you evil.
非常清楚,你很邪惡
This last killing was premeditated, calculated.
最后那次殺人你有預謀,有計劃
You went over there, as you said,
你到那里,像你說的
to dispatch a human being.
手腳麻利的殺人
You're a little bug.
你就是只小蟲子
And like a bug, you will one day get stepped on.
就像蟲子一樣,總有一天要被踩死
Now go away. I do not represent evil people.
現在離開,我不會為邪惡的人辯護
I asked you to leave.
我說過讓你離開
May I say one more thing?
我可以再說一句嗎?
You cut me to the quick.
你傷了我的心
I am a bug.
我是只蟲
My mother would often tell me
我媽媽經常告訴我,
I am nothing more than an insignificant little...
我是一只無關緊要的..
she used to call me a, a dung beetle.
她以前叫我,鼻涕蟲
When I killed her,
當我殺了她
as she lay on the floor,
當她躺在地板上
for the first time, I felt alive.
我第一次感到,我還活著
I had actually done something.
我確實做過一些事
Perhaps a part of me sought to relive that power,
也許潛意識下的我,想再次體驗那種權利感
but today, I, I do, I feel evil.
但是今天,我確實覺得罪惡深重
I need your help, Alan.
我需要你的幫助,艾倫
The police want to interrogate me.
警察要審問我
I don't know what to do.
我不知道該怎么辦
Alan, could I, oh, I'm so sorry.
艾倫,我能,哦,對不起
That's okay.
沒關系.
Tara Wilson, meet Bernard Ferrion.
塔拉·威爾遜見見Bernard Ferrion
He kills people with cookware. Allegedly, of course.
他用炊具殺人,當然,是依其申述
Bernie, Tara.
伯尼見過塔拉
She's your new lawyer. No, I prefer you.
她是你的新律師,不,我選你
No, you can't have me.
不,你不能選我
One reason being, I know too much.
理由就是,我知道太多
If you want this firm to help you, Tara's your lawyer.
如果你想讓這家律師事務所幫你,塔拉就是你的律師
She's very fetching, but is she good?
她很迷人,但是她夠好嗎?
The police want to talk to him.
警察想和他談話
There's an excellent chance you can avoid the prison term
你有很大的機會讓他避免掉牢獄之災
he very much deserves.
雖然他罪有應得
I must warn you, do not come to care for this man.
我必須提醒你,不要去關心這個人
He will let you down.
他會讓你很失望
That's all.
就這些
Let's go, Mr. Ferrion.
我們走吧,Ferrion先生
Nora, when you get a minute.
諾拉,可以進來嗎?
why did you feel compell to speak to Shirley Schmidt, why don't you take it up with me?
為什么你覺得你一定得找施密特談?干嗎不直接來找我?
I don't know. I suppose...
我不知道,我覺得...
I guess I didn't feel I could hold my own with you...
我覺得在你面前我不能把持自己...
which, I guess, is a part of the problem.
我想,這也是問題之一
"Alan, I'm uncomfortable with the banter. "
"艾倫,我對你的調笑感到不舒服,"
You could've said that.
你可以這樣說
You did participate in the banter.
這些玩笑你也有份
I participated.
我參與了
I, of course, wanted to be liked by my boss.
我當然想我老板喜歡我
But then...
但后來..
it started to go too far.
事情發展的有些離譜
And when it went too far, why not tell me?
那時候,為什么不告訴我?
I don't know.
我不知道
Because I'd let it go on,
因為我任其發展
I felt maybe I'd gotten myself in...
我覺得或許是我自己陷入這種境地的..
At the seminars, you get the impression
在研討會上,這里的高層會讓你認為
that the senior people here are good at dealing with these things.
他們很會處理這種事情
I wanted you to stop.
我想讓你別再這樣
But I still like you, and like working for you.
但是我仍然喜歡你,仍然喜歡為你工作.
And I was hoping
我同時希望
they maybe had a way to solve the problem without any hurt feelings.
他們可以不用傷害感情的解決這件事
So, what happens now?
所以,現在該怎么辦?
We actually call it intelligent design.
實際上我們稱之為智能設計論,
Basically, the idea is life is so complex,
基本上說,生命是如此復雜
a greater power has to be at play.
更高一級的力量必定參與其中
The greater power being god.
更高一級的力量是上帝
We're by no means shutting down Darwinism,
我們絕沒有否認達爾文理論
or suggesting that evolution is inaccurate.
或者指出那是錯誤的
Do you believe in evolution, Mr. Fife?
你相信進化論嗎,法伊夫先生?
I happen to believe in both god and evolution.
我同時相信進化論和上帝
I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive.
我不認為這兩者之間相互排斥
So, why not simply offer the intelligent design theory in religion courses?
為什么不直接在宗教課上教授智能設計論?
Why science?
為什么要在科學課上?
Well, we thought long and hard about that.
我們深思熟慮過
But the simple truth is more and more scientists,
但是,事實上越來越多的科學家
scientists, not theologians,
科學家,而不是神學家
have said that when you examine the intricacies of the human cell,
宣稱,當你探究細胞的內部結構
the mathematical equations of DNA,
DNA的方程式
you simply cannot conclude that it's all explained by natural selection.
你無法簡單的用自然選擇學說來解釋
Another power has to be at work.
另一種力量應該在發揮作用
God.
上帝
Well, again, we never mention him by name.
再說一次,我們沒有提到他的名字
U are aware of the separation of church and state.
你知道政教分離嗎?
I'm aware.
知道
This is boring crap.
無聊的廢話
And you're also aware, Mr. Fife,
你也知道,法伊夫先生
that the supreme court has banned the teaching of Creationism.
最高法院禁止教授神創論
Well, as I said, technically, we're not calling it Creationism.
我說過,實際上,我們沒稱之為神創論
But you admitted that's what's going on.
但是你承認了事實如此
And Creationism holds
神創論認為
that god created the world about 6,000 years ago in 6 days.
6000年前上帝在6天之內創造了世界
That's not my view.
那不是我的觀點
But it's a view you're insisting your teachers explain in a science class.
但是你堅持要老師在科學課上教授這種觀點
As a theory.
作為一種理論
A theory with no scientific basis other than to say,
一種完全沒有科學依據
"Gee, evolution can't account for it all".
除了說“嘿,進化論不能解釋一切”的理論
Why the helmet?
為什么要戴頭盔?
Well, it wouldn't be for here. It would be for at home.
這里用不著戴,是在家里戴的
Well, the thinking being if there's somebody in my neighborhood
想象我有個鄰居
breaking into houses whacking eople from behind on the head,
闖進別人房子,從背后砸別人腦袋
it would make sense for me to wear a helmet.
我戴個頭盔是很合理的
I want to exude innocence, you see.
你看,我想顯得清白
Get rid of the helmet.
脫掉頭盔
But, Ms. Wilson, at, at my core,
但是,威爾遜女士,在我內心深處
I'm a little man.
我是個小男人
It would make sense for me to want to protect myself, right?
我想保護我自己是說得通的,對嗎?
Get rid of the helmet. You look ridiculous.
脫掉頭盔,你看起來很滑稽
Now, listen to me.
現在,聽我說.
The police have asked for a DNA sample, and I'm gonna agree.
警方已經要求DNA樣本,我會同意
What? Why on earth?
什么?為什么?
Because they could get one with a court order.
因為他們能拿到法庭令
There's no point in opposing.
反對沒有任何意義
Well, what about my right to not incriminate myself?
那,我的“不得強迫自證其罪”權利呢?
Cooperation goes a long way towards exuding innocence, Mr. Ferrion,
合作大大有利于顯示清白,Ferrion先生
much better than hockey headgear.
比戴個冰球帽好得多
You know, everyone is speaking to me in hurtful tones,
每個人都用這么傷人的語氣跟我說話
and I don't appreciate it.
我不喜歡
I did kill people.
我確實殺過人
You'd think I'd incur a little shock and awe, if not respect.
如果你不尊敬我,也要表現出驚訝和恐懼
Is that why you did this?
所以你才那么做?
To inspire awe?
讓人敬畏?
Alan Shore told me that your mother referred to you as a dung beetle.
艾倫·肖爾告訴我你媽媽叫你鼻涕蟲
Please don't mention that particular species to me.
請不要在我面前再提那個物種
I don't know what else Alan told you, but I'm a kind man.
我不知道艾倫還跟你說了什么,但我是個善良的人
I have admittedly committed two heinous acts,
我確實犯下那兩個無法饒恕的罪行
but the first was not voluntary,
但是第一次不是故意的
and the second was out of desperation,
第二次是出于絕望
not wanting to go to prison where bigger men will have their way with me.
我不想進監獄,讓那些比我高大的人欺負我
Ms. Wilson, I need your help.
威爾遜女士,我需要你的幫助
Please be on my side.
請站在我這一邊
I'm sorry.
對不起
That remark was way out of line.
我說的太過分了
Listen, Sally, it didn't help that you were with me a year and a half ago,
薩莉,一年半前你和我,接著又和艾倫·肖爾
and then you were with Alan Shore. It's gossip. It travels fast.
這些幫不到你,壞事傳千里
But I have no doubt, none,
但是我從來不懷疑
that you are going to be an exceptional attorney,
你會成為一位出色的律師
but just not here.
但是不會在這里
They're never gonna give you the chance.
他們不會給你這個機會
You need to...
你需要...
remake yourself.
重塑你自己
Start fresh.
重新開始
You asked me for help.
你向我尋求幫助
And I'm going to provide it to you in the form of advice.
我會向你建議
You need to go.
你應該離開
At the beginning of the school year,
本學年剛開始
we got the word at our teachers' assembly
我們在教師會議上得知
that moral values would be one of our educational objectives,
道德價值將會做為教學目標之一
which was fine.
這沒什么
But to have evolution bumped for Creationism...
但是進化論給神創論讓路...
well, to be fair, evolution isn't being displaced.
公平的來說,進化論并沒有被取代
Creationism is just being included.
只是加入了神創論
Evolution is a tough subject matter.
進化論是個很難教的知識點
We cannot cut into what little class time we have to service a political agenda.
我們不能因為政策原因再削減本來就少的課時
Objection. This is non-responsive.
反對,與本案無關
Please limit your answers to the questions, ma'am.
請簡要回答問題,女士
Why can't you view intelligent design as a science, Ms. Turner?
為什么你不認為智能設計論是科學,特納夫人?
Because there is simply no scientific data to support it.
因為沒有任何科學證據支持它
How are we to maintain
我們怎么去維護
any credibility as science teachers
科學課老師的可信度
if we say,
如果我們說
"Gee, despite all this data, there's also another possibility"?
“嘿,盡管沒有證據,另一種可能也是存在的”?
Intelligent design makes a mockery of science.
智能設計論是對科學的踐踏
If you wanna teach it as a religion course, fine.
如果你把它當作宗教課程,可以
But as a science,
但是當作科學課
it's simply preposterous.
這是非常荒謬的
I just don't understand why he wouldn't wanna talk.
我只是不明白為什么他不想談談
If there's a serial killer loose in his neighborhood...
如果真有連環殺人犯在他家附近...
He'd love to talk. I'm not letting him.
他很想談,是我不讓他說
I'll tell you one thing.
我要告訴你
Bernard
伯納德
You people wrongly arrested him last time with no evidence
你們上次就在沒有任何證據,僅憑他母親的魯莽指控
after his mother recklessly accused him.
錯誤的逮捕了他
Now, it's clear there is somebody in the neighborhood killing people,
現在很顯然那個社區有人做案
you haven't so much as apologized to Mr. Ferrion for ruining his good name.
你還沒有因毀了Ferrion先生的好名聲道歉
Why should we expect any fair treatment from you?
我們怎么指望從你那里得到公正的對待?
I'm done.
完成了
Once again, I'll encourage your client not to leave the jurisdiction.
再次重申,我希望你的客戶不要離開管轄范圍
Bully boy.
流氓
Bernard
伯納德
You handled that deftly.
你處理的真巧妙
So, what now?
現在怎么辦?
You can go home.
你可以回家了
If, indeed, you left no traces behind,
如果你真的沒有留下任何痕跡
and assuming they find no DNA, and with no smoking skillet,
并且他們沒找到DNA,或者冒煙的鍋子
you'll likely get away with it once again.
你有可能再次逍遙法外
You're using a judgmental tone.
你在用審判的語氣
Do you really expect us not to condemn you?
你真的希望我們不譴責你?
You killed two people.
你殺了兩個人命
Well, I expect you to condemn my actions,
我以為你會譴責我的行為
but, I suppose, not me.
而不是我本人
You can go.
你可以走了
How's Alan?
艾倫怎么樣了?
Honestly, I think he's hurt.
說實話,我認為他受到了傷害
You hear all the time how clients are let down by their lawyers.
你總是聽說律師怎樣讓他的客戶失望
Sometimes it's the attorney who's let down by the client.
有時候,是客戶讓他們的律師失望
As silly as it may sound,
聽起來可能很傻
the cynical, jaded Alan Shore gets a bit desperate sometimes
憤世嫉俗,冷酷無情的艾倫·肖爾,有時也會渴望相信
to believe in the goodness of mankind.
人性本善
He found, I think, some hope in you.
他在你身上找到了一些希望,我想
And you crushed it...
但是你毀了它...
like a bug.
就像蟲子一樣
You're firing me? Certainly not, I'd get sued.
你在解雇我?當然不是,我會吃官司
I'm reassigning you.
我要調整你的工作崗位
If I get put back into the pool, that's the same as a demotion.
如果把我打回人力資源那里,等于降職
Nora, I'm not going to change who I am. Nora
我不會改變我的為人
I can work on it, but leaps and bounds I'll never make.
我可以試試,但是我永遠不可能做到
When I look at women, most women,
當我看到女人,大多數女人
my mind wanders invariably to sexual fantasy of a broad and curious nature,
因為我自由而好奇的天性,我總會產生性幻想
unfettered by moral restraint. I can't help it.
而不會被道德約束,我情不自禁
I realize this candor
我知道這種坦率會讓我作繭自縛
could come back to haunt me should you indeed file a claim,
所以才讓你簽那份聲明
but when I look at you,
但是當我看到你
I often conjure up the most intimate and explicit of distractions.
那些親密的露骨的事情總是出現在我腦海中
That's not going to change.
永遠都不會改變
You're a sexually attractive...
你是個性感迷人的...
beast.
禽獸
Could you excuse us, Shirley? I'm dictating a letter.
請原諒,雪莉,我在口述信件
I give you my word,
我向你保證
you will not get a demotion.
你不會被降職
I also offer you my gratitude for making me realize that sometimes, women...
同時也感謝你,讓我意識到有時候,女人...
play along, and yet nevertheless feel harassed.
很合作,但是仍然覺得厭煩
I suppose it's the callous idiot who can't appreciate that.
我想只有笨蛋才會不知道
I apologize for being that idiot.
我為曾是這種傻瓜而道歉
Nora
諾拉
the next time that somebody does something to you that you don't like,
下一次如果有人對你做了你不喜歡的事
be direct.
直接說
I assure you, you're up to it.
我保證,你要什么都有人給
That was very eloquent.
演說很精彩
Thank you.
謝謝
You need to get me another secretary, Shirley,
你得再給我找個秘書,雪莉
someone more willing to be harassed.
一個更愿被騷擾的人
I'll see what I can do.
我盡力而為
These are bad times for science, your honor,
科學面臨很多困境,法官大人
especially at the hands of moral values.
尤其是面對道德價值觀
The government has systematically distorted or worse,
政府一直有組織的扭曲科學
suppressed findings by the FDA and EPA
食品及藥物管理局和環保署打壓新的科學發現
when it comes to contraception,
當遇到避孕
stem cell research, AIDS, global warming, pollution.
肝細胞研究,艾滋病,全球氣候變暖,環境污染
Let's just stick to the case, counsel, and leave politics out of it.
請回到這個案子上來,律師,不要摻入政治問題
This case is all about politics.
這個案子就是政治問題
It's about getting religion back into schools.
它想讓宗教重回學校
Creationism is religious doctrine.
神創論是宗教學說
It is not supported by scientific data.
沒有科學依據支持
I'm a christian, my wife is a jew.
我是基督教徒,我妻子是猶太人
We have wonderful debates.
我們為此激烈爭辯
And this country, as a whole, should be more theologically literate,
這個國家,總體來說,應該更加普及神學知識
but it's not science.
但那不是科學
What's happening here today is an attack on evolution.
今天在這里發生的一切是對進化論的抨擊
It's clever.
這樣做很聰明
Let's call it intelligent design.
姑且稱之為智能進化論
Let's not mention god. But, come on,
不提到上帝,但是
the supreme court banned the teaching of Creationism in the public schools.
最高法院禁止在公立學校教授神創論
They were right then, they remain right today,
當時他們是正確的,現在依然如此
and my client's discharge was unlawful,
我的客戶被解雇是毫無法律依據的
as well as in violation of our time-honored tradition
并且也違背了我們悠久的傳統
of separating church and state.
那就是政教分離
Of course we have a legitimate cause of action.
我們當然有合法的起訴緣由
That was almost evangelical.
說的簡直就像福音書
The establishment clause prohibits the endorsement of or discrimination
“建立條款”禁止政府對某個特定宗教,
against any particular religion,
做出支持或者歧視
but it was never meant to extinguish the notion of a higher power.
但是它從來沒有意圖抹去“更高力量”的概念
I certainly believe in evolution.
我當然相信進化論
Who here among us, while watching the presential debates,
我們中的任何一人看到現有證據
could deny that we all come from monkeys?
都不會否認我們是從猴子進化而來
But what's so wrong with suggesting as a possible theory
但是將“更高力量”也參與其中,作為一種可能的理論
that a higher power might have also played a part?
又有什么錯呢?
As for church and state,
對于教會和國家來說
we go to war over god-given rights to democracy.
我們以上帝賜予民主之權利進行戰爭
Let's face it.
讓我們面對這個事實
God is big here.
上帝在這里更加強大
We love god.
我們熱愛上帝
And we, as a nation, have an overwhelming belief
我們,作為一個民族,擁有一個堅定的信念
he had something to do with the creation of humankind.
上帝在人類起源中發揮了作用
But teach that in a science class?
但是在科學課堂上教授它?
Perish the thought.
想都不能想
Nobody here is trying to squash evolution.
這里沒有人試圖擠壓進化論
And I would agree with Mr. Gellman,
我也同意格爾曼先生
it isn't good science to suppress information.
壓制思想的科學不是好科學
But I would ask the court,
但是我想要問問庭上
who here today is trying to do the squashing?
今天在這里,是誰在搞擠壓?
What do you mean you want to go to tial?
你說你要上法庭是什么意思?
I'm afriad of dying and death by innuendo
我害怕死于流言蜚語中
I thought if I went to trial, it would offer me a chance to clear my name.
我想如果我接受庭審,會有機會還我清白
Clear your name? You did it.
還你清白? 你犯罪了!
But nobody knows that.
但又沒人知道
Have you gone mad?
你瘋了嗎?
They haven't got any evidence, they can't even arrest you,
他們沒有證據,甚至不能逮捕你
and you're here asking to go to trial?
你卻要求庭審?
What is the matter with you?
你到底什么問題?
The suspense of them building a case,
等他們立案的焦慮
it's just too much to bear.
太讓人受不了
I'm lonely.
我很孤獨
All I ever had was my mother, and I killed her.
我以前只有我媽媽,我殺了她
The only other person who ever, ever talked to me was my neighbor.
另一個跟我說話的,就是我鄰居
Killed her, too.
我也殺了她
How's Alan?
艾倫還好嗎?
I miss him.
我想他
Bernard
伯納德
unless something else happens here,
除非其它事情發生
your case is over.
你的案子結束了
Now, I can appreciate that you're lonely,
我可以理解你很孤獨
but you need to find a life for yourself now.
但是你需要自己去尋找新的生活
But, um, how do I do that?
但是,我該怎么做?
Bernard, your case status at the moment is over.
伯納德,你的案子已經結束了
Okay.
好吧
Okay.
好吧
Alan?
艾倫?
Hello.
你好
Mrs. Piper?
派珀夫人?
You remember!
你記得我!
Oh, I always say,
噢,我總是說
shake a man's hand with dog poop on your glove,
用帶狗便便的手套跟人握手
he'll remember you for life.
他會一輩子記得你
I remember you because I trick-or-treated at your house.
我記得你是,因為我萬圣節到你家要過糖吃
How are you, dear?
你怎么樣,親愛的?
You don't look well.
你看起來不是很好
What are you doing here?
你來這里干什么?
I'm applying for the position of your secretary, of course.
我是來應征你的秘書的
I heard what happened to the last one,
我聽說上一個秘書的事情了
and I must say,
我得說
your problem...
你的問題是...
most people aren't able to see that
大多數的人不能看到
beneath your slick, insensitive exterior,
在你世故麻木的外表下
deep down, you really are a douche bag.
你是個口不擇言的小笨蛋
I get that, Alan.
我知道的,艾倫
You'd have no misunderstanding with me.
我絕不會誤會你的
Mr. Shore.
肖爾先生
Oh, my, what an adorable little man.
哦,多可愛的小人啊
Are you a midget, dear?
你是侏儒嗎,親愛的?
I, uh, I just wanna say
我,我只是想說
that I am deeply sorry,
我真的很抱歉
and I assure you,
并且我向你保證
that I am gonna try to live up to all the potential
我會活出所有你在我身上看到的
that you saw in me as a human being.
人的潛質
I give you my word.
我向你保證
Well, that was sweet.
真是貼心
So...
那么...
do I get the job?
我得到這份工作了嗎?
Nobody is more frightened than I am
沒有人象我這樣震驚
of the religious right getting a stranglehold on our values.
因為宗教自由權漸漸變成我們價值觀的阻礙
Is this the part where we get spanked?
就是這里我們要受到重創?
It seems as long as you do it in the name of the almighty,
好像只要以全能之主的名義做事
one is free to abandon not only common sense and science,
不止放棄了一般常識和科學
but also the facts.
還放棄了事實真相
But I am also concerned about a secular society
但我同樣也考慮到世俗社會
squeezing faith out of our lives.
也將信仰擠出了我們的生活
We have all witnessed the ridiculous lawsuits
我們都看到過那些荒唐的法律案件
to stop nativity scenes at Christmas,
試圖阻止圣誕節上演基督降生的舞臺劇
to take god out of the pledge of allegiance.
試圖將上帝在效忠誓言中去掉
God has always been a part of who and what we are as a nation.
上帝一直都是我們民族定義的一部分
On our currency, it reads "in god we trust. "
在我們的貨幣上,寫著,"我們相信上帝. "
The declaration of independence speaks of god,
《獨立宣言》也提到了上帝
how we are created, endowed by our creator.
我們從何而來,造物主之恩賜
It references "our supreme judge of the world," and "divine providence. "
還提到"世間至高無上的法官" "神圣的上帝,"
God.
上帝
And I'm sorry,
我很遺憾
anybody who has ever held a newborn child in his hands
任何一個曾經手抱嬰兒的人
must make room for the chance that a higher power exists.
都會相信“更高力量”的存在
And it shouldn't offend you as scientists to say,
做為一個科學家,說出這句話不是恥辱
"Hey, we just don't know. "
“嗨,我們就是不知道”
I find the decision
我做出判決:
to include intelligent design along with evolution into the science curriculum
將智能創造論納入科學范圍
does not violate the establishment clause of the First amendment.
并沒有違反第一修正案之確立條款
I'm ruling in favor of the defendant.
我裁定被告勝訴
This lawsuit is dismissed.
案子結束
Oh, boy.
哦,伙計
Was it interesting? I didn't listen to a word.
有趣吧? 我一個字也沒聽進去
Thank you.
謝謝你
Thank you both.
謝謝你們兩個
Good luck, Mr. Fife.
祝你好運,法伊夫先生
What's the expression?
應該怎么表達?
Uh, go with god.
呃,與上帝同行
So when are you leaving?
你什么時候走?
Is there a big rush?
很急嗎?
I didn't mean it like that.
我不是那個意思
I'm leaving now, tonight.
我現在就走,今晚
You know, for what it's worth,
你知道,我隨便說下
Shirley can be very draconian,
雪莉可以非常苛刻
and when she makes up her mind, it's not...
當她下定決心,就不會...
I have nothing against Shirley.
我對Shirley沒有意見
In fact, she didn't even really hurt me.
事實上,她都沒有真的傷到我
Shirley doesn't know me.
雪莉不認識我
You do.
但是你認識
Lori does, Alan does.
洛里認識,艾倫認識
a lot of people, none of whom took issue with Shirley.
好多人,沒有一個跟雪莉爭論
The silent majority has spoken, Brad...
多數人的沉默,布拉德...
with a resounding roar.
如同共鳴的咆哮
Every knock is a boost.
越挫越勇
I'm gonna cling to that and a few other cliche for a while.
我會用這句或者其他陳詞濫調,堅持一陣兒
And then, you'll all see me again.
然后,你會再看到我
In court, across the deposition table.
在法庭上,在對手席上
You'll all see me again.
你會再看到我
That's a promise.
我保證
He's just so profoundly lonely.
他真的很孤獨
Bernard
伯納德
He came to apologize.
他來道歉過
I actually think that he wanted to get arrested
我真覺得,他很想被逮捕
because he's so starved for attention.
因為他太渴望被人關注
I hate this job.
我痛恨這份工作
Well, you warned me not to care for him.
你警告過我不要太關心他
Tara, don't.
塔拉,不要
Do not let yourself. Well, it's over now.
別那么做,現在結束了
He's gone.
他走了
What's done is done.
覆水難收
It's not over. That's the problem.
不是結束,是麻煩
What do you mean?
你什么意思?
He'll kill again.
他會再殺人
What, did he say that? No, but I just get the feeling.
他說過那個?沒有,我只是有這種感覺
He'll kill again.
他會再殺人
What are you doing out here?
你在外面干嗎呢?
Just looking at the city.
只是看著這座城市
Still trying to fathom that...
還在想看到...
The Red sox won?
紅襪隊勝利?
What's this?
這是什么?
The boys do it. I thought we'd give it a try.
男生抽這個,我想我們也可以試試
You wanna smoke cigars?
你想抽雪茄?
Passing of the torch from the boys' club to us.
把男生俱樂部的火炬傳到我們這里
Well, I'll smoke to that.
為這個我也抽一下
Awful.
糟糕
Let me try.
讓我試一下
That's terrible.
糟透了
Well, this makes it official.
這就有利的證明了
We've evolved more than they have.
我們比他們進化得好
Is it a good thing we won today?
我們今天贏是件好事嗎?
I don't know.
我不知道
You believe in a higher power, right?
你相信有更高的力量,對嗎?
It wasn't just advocacy in that room?
而不只是在法庭上的辯論?
With what's going on in the world, I need to believe.
世間上的事物讓我相信
But...
但是...
But what?
但是什么?
God forbid the next court says
上帝也會禁止另一個法庭說
it's okay to ban evolution from the schools.
“禁止在學校教授進化論”
Yeah.
是的
God forbid.
上帝會的