Previously on Boston legal
前情提要
You're dying and it's eating me up inside.
你在死去,這讓我心如刀割
So? Are we okay?
那么?你還好嗎?
You're going off like a dog aren't you?
你會像狗那樣死去,是嗎?
What do you mean?
什么意思?
When a dog knows it's gonna die he
當狗知道自己大限將至時
goes off into the woods by itself.
它會獨自離開到森林中去
Denny got engaged. Denny
訂婚了
Who is it this time?
這次是誰?
Beverly Bridge
貝弗莉?布里奇.
You think I'm screwing Denny for his money and power?
你以為我是盯上了丹尼的錢和權利?
It had occurred to me.
在我身上已經發生過了
I'm prepared to give you $500,000 right now
我現在準備給你50萬美金
if you walk away and never have any contact with Denny Crane ever again.
只要你離開并且不再與丹尼·克蘭接觸
Bev turned down the offer that I made her.
貝弗拒絕了我的提議
She was very offended.
她非常生氣
This is going to get ugly.
這下就難收拾了
Hello.
你好
Not much going on around here. Is there?
在這里沒什么事情做吧?
No.
是的
I suppose coming to a lawyer's office can't be much fun.
我想來律師事務所不是很好玩
Actually, everyone seems friendly here.
我到覺得這里每個人都很友好
Well, they're given an unlimited supply of donuts.
確實,他們不限量供應甜甜圈
Here, Sweetheart.
親愛的,拿著!
Phyllis?
菲利斯?
Alan!
艾倫!
Hello! Hi!
你好!嗨!
Hello.
你好
I see you have met Marissa.
你已經見過瑪麗薩了
I have now.
剛剛認識
Could we talk in your office?
可以去你辦公室談嗎?
Of course.
當然可以
Would you mind watching her a little longer? Thanks.
可以再照看一下她嗎?謝謝
If you get restless We'll be right down this hall.
如果坐不住了,我們就在大廳那兒
I had a hard time trying to find you.
找你真是費了好大功夫
I called Cruthers, Abbott...
我打電話給Cruthers Abbott事務所
Oh, I was fired. Embezzlement.
哦,我被炒了,"挪用公款"
Then I tried Young, Frutt and Berultti...
接著我又試著找Young Frutt和Berultti事務所
Oh, yes. That ended badly.
噢,沒錯,不歡而散
And here you are at Crane, Poole and Schmidt.
現在你又到了Crane Poole和Schmidt事務所
For now. And you?
暫且棲身,你呢?
Still a legal secretary.
還在做法務秘書
Although the law isn't as much fun as it was when I used to watch you bend it.
盡管訴訟沒有以前看你做時那么有趣
I need your help.
我需要你的幫助
You used to say that I could come to you for anything.
你說過我可以找你做任何事情
I meant sexually.
我指的是做愛
This is for Marissa.
這是為了瑪麗薩
She's lovely.
她很可愛
But she seems to be having a bad day though.
但她好像很不高興
Marissa can't smile.
瑪麗薩不能笑
She had nerve damage from a car accident.
她因為車禍神經受到損壞
And she had surgery to try to correct the problem, but it didn't work.
她做了手術想解決這個問題,但沒有效果
Alan, she's had a really tough time of it at the public school. Alan
她在公立學校里日子很難過
She's been teased mercilessly.
總是被肆意嘲笑
Here you go. See that?
開始,看見了嗎?
Now watch this.
現在看這個
_-! It's disappeared. Ha, ha, ha.
消失啦,哈!哈!哈!
What's up your ear?
你耳朵那里是什么?
Ha, ha, ha.
哈!哈!哈!
Okay, kid. Let's try it again.
好了,孩子,我們重新來過
I'm trying to get her into the Adams Academy for a fresh start.
我想把她轉到亞當斯學院重新開始
The admissions director was so excited to meet her!
招生主任很高興見到她!
Then he met her and she didn't smile.
然后發現她不能笑
And that was that.
這事就吹了
And these private schools have become so competitive,
這些私立學校競爭非常激烈
they don't need to let anyone in who isn't "perfect".
他們不允許學校有不"完美"的學生
When I was in school
我讀書的時候
the closest I ever came to that appellation was to be called a "perfect" bastard.
離"完美"接近的稱號就是"不折不扣"的混蛋
I don't wanna sue them,
我不想起訴他們
because if I get known as a litigious parent
因為如果他們認為我喜歡打官司
I'm never gonna get Marissa into any school.
我就不能讓瑪麗薩進任何學校了
But I do know that you can be, well...
但我知道你可以做到,那個...
a perfect bastard.
"不折不扣"的混蛋
Denise
丹尼斯,
I understand you're going through
我知道你個人生活遇到些麻煩
some difficulties in your personal life. Uhm, yeah, It's hard, but I'll get through it.
是的,很難,但我會挺過去的
From what I know about you,
從我認識你開始
when things get tough you prefer
你只要遇到困難
to bury yourself in your work.
就會把自己埋在工作里
Allow me to provide you with a shovel.
請允許我給你一把鐵鏟
This is Teressa Warner and her daughter Amelia.
這是泰瑞莎?華納,和女兒阿米莉婭
Denise is going to be working with us on the case.
丹尼斯會和我們一起處理這個案子
Amelia is eighteen.
阿米莉婭現年18歲
She was assaulted and raped two months ago
兩個月前被強奸并毆打
and taken to the nearest hospital. St. Mary's.
之后被送到最近的圣瑪麗醫院
Once we knew she was stable, my
我一知道她情況穩定了
first thought was the morning-after pill.
首先就想到事后避孕藥
Only the treating physician at the hospital told us
可是院方主治醫生告訴我們
that type of treatment was not available at St. Mary's.
圣瑪麗醫院不提供這種治療手段
He refused to give it to my daughter.
他拒絕給我女兒
But the Legislature recently passed a law requiring hospitals to provide emergency contraception for rape victims.
但立法機關已經通過法律,要求醫院,給強奸犯罪受害者提供緊急避孕治療
They did. But Massachusetts law also contains a conscience clause.
確實如此,可是馬薩諸塞州的法律,同時包含一個道德條款
Catholic hospitals don't have to administer any treatments that conflicts with their religious principles,
天主教醫院沒有必要執行任何,同宗教原則相沖突的治療
emergency contraception included.
緊急避孕治療包括其中
As soon as she was discharged we went to our family doctor but
她出院以后我們馬上去找家庭醫生
he told us it was too late to prescribe it.
但他告訴我們開藥為時已晚
It needs to be administered as soon as possible,
治療需要盡快執行
but no later than seventy-two hours after the...
不能在72小時后...
I know this is difficult for both of you.
我知道你們都很痛苦
Amelia, you've been through so much trauma already. Amelia
你已受了那么多創傷
So. We'll begin by pursuing a settlement with the hospital.
所以,我們準備與醫院庭外和解
No!
不行!
No. I want the public to know.
不,我想讓公眾知曉
I was raped. And now I'm pregnant
我被強奸了,現在我還懷孕了
because the doctor wouldn't give me the contraceptive to prevent it.
就因為醫生不肯給我避孕藥
I want a trial.
我要上法庭
Where is he?
他在那里?
Denny, are you sure we can count on him? Denny
你確定我們可以指望他?
Brad's the best.
布拉德是最好的
I just made him partner.
我剛讓他成為合伙人
Well, I want reassurance.
我想再確認一下
He served in the Gulf War.
他曾在海灣戰爭中服役
The one that turned out okay.
是那次結果不錯的戰爭,(第一次海灣戰爭)
He was top of his class at West Point and Harvard Law School.
他在西點和哈佛法學院都是班上最好的學生
I'd put my own life in his hands.
我會把自己性命交給他
Once we remove the ventilator,
只要把呼吸機關掉
it'll be a matter of minutes.
就只是時間問題了
You may hear a slight rattle in the chest. This is normal.
你可能會聽到胸部有輕微聲響,這很正常
The suffering should be minimal.
只會有最小限度的痛苦
Do it.
開始吧
Step away from the ventilator! Move away.
離開呼吸機!走開
I have a court order.
我有法院令
Barry!
巴里!
He's alive!
他還活著!
He's alive!
他還活著!
So Marissa.
那么,瑪麗薩
Before I meet with the board at Adams about reconsidering their decision.
在我去見亞當斯學院董事會,要求他們重新考慮前
I thought it might be a good idea for us to get together
我覺得我們最好聚在一起
and have a whole bunch of sugar and talk about school.
吃些糖果,聊聊學校的事情
Okay.
好的
What's your favorite part of the day?
你今天最喜歡的課程是什么?
I like all my classes.
我喜歡所有課程
But, I guess art. Drawing and painting and stuff.
但最喜歡的是繪圖,著色和手工
When I was in fourth grade
我記得四年級時
I remember having to draw a horse.
我必須要畫匹馬
It gave me a very rough time.
那真是度日如年
I'm studying Magritte.
我在研究馬格里特,(馬格里特超現實主義畫家)
And what do you like about Magritte?
你喜歡馬格里特哪一點?
The way things are put together.
他組合事物的方式
It's so unlikely.
太超脫現實了
They're beautiful like other paintings
和其他畫作一樣漂亮
but they make you think,
卻能讓你思考
you wonder why things are the way they are.
你想知道為何事物就是它存在的方式?
He has this one, a picture of a pipe,
他有一幅作品,畫著一根煙斗
and under it says,
下面寫著
"This is not a pipe".
"這不是一根煙斗"
It says it in French, I translated it for you.
原作是法語寫的,我給你翻譯了
"Ceci n'est pas une pipe" "Ceci n'est pas une pipe".
(法語原文)
That's it!
沒錯!
One of my favorites as well.
也是我最喜歡的之一
It gave me an idea for one.
它給了我一幅畫靈感
Marissa, this is wonderful. Marissa
這太棒了
Thank you.
謝謝
Everyone is always telling girls to smile.
每個人都要女孩子笑
Never say to guys.
沒人對男孩子說過
I think smiling is overrated.
我認為笑被看高了
As you can see.
看看這個,(一男賤笑,標題為《指控延期,正在進行》)
I will not allow you to destroy my Barry!
我不會允許你毀掉我的巴里!
The cat is dead. The animal is a vegetable.
這貓死了,它成了"植物貓"
Guys... Nature has spoken. When it's your time, it's your time.
這是自然法則,大限已至天命難違
Says the man with the pacemaker and the prosthetic balls.
和那些戴著起搏器和移植人工瓣膜的人去說吧
That's different.
那是兩回事
Denny? I'm a partner. Denny?
我是合伙人
It's a cat.
那是一只貓
You're exactly right, Brad.
一點沒錯,布拉德
I wouldn't trust an associate with a case this important.
在這種重要的案子中,我從未如此相信過一個同事
This is Bev's cat.
這是貝弗的貓
That guy in there? Bev's fourth husband.
看到那個家伙了嗎? 貝弗的第四任丈夫
Mattress Majesty
席夢思陛下.
Worth millions. Troubling thing about America.
身價百萬,美國的一個問題就是
Anybody can grow up and be rich.
每個人都有可能長大并富有
Denny, still. It's a cat. Denny
不管怎樣,它還是一只貓
Barry Manilow is not just a cat.
巴里?馬尼洛可不僅僅是貓
What?
什么?
Barry Manilow. Cat's full name. Barry Manilow
貓的全名,(著名歌手名字)
Even better.
這下更好了
Barry Manilow is Bev's cat.
巴里?馬尼洛是貝弗的貓
And if it matters to Bev, then I, Denny Crane,
貝弗問題就是我丹尼?克蘭的問題
have to pretend that it matters to me.
我必須要裝成兩肋插刀的樣子
But, Denny...
可是,丹尼...
Bev will be happy,
貝弗會很高興
which make me happy, which make you happy.
這讓我高興,也讓你高興
So really, Brad, you're doing this to make you happy.
所以實際上,布拉德,你要接這個案子讓自己高興
Two months ago I was walking to my car
兩個月前,我走向自己的車
and I was almost there, I was already getting out my keys,
就快到了,我都掏出鑰匙了
when this man...
這時那個男人...
I don't know where... he...
我不知道在哪里...他...
he grabbed me, and...
他一把抓住我,然后...
Take your time.
慢慢來
After he was done, he just kept hitting me
完事以后,他就不停的打我
and hitting me and hitting me...
不停的打了又打...
And then I woke up in the hospital.
我醒來時已在醫院了
So you didn't choose St. Mary's specifically?
所以你沒特意選擇圣瑪麗醫院?
No, I wasn't even conscious.
沒有,我完全不省人事
They just took me to the nearest emergency room.
他們把我帶到最近的急救室
At any time while you were being treated,
在你接受治療的整個過程之中
did nurses or physicians bring up the possibility of becoming pregnant from the attack?
是否有護士或醫生提到這次襲擊,會讓你有懷孕可能?
My mom and I asked about it, and
我媽媽和我問過
they said the chances were small.
他們說幾率很小
but I wanted to take the morning-after pill
但我還是想服用事后避孕藥
anyway just in case
以防萬一
and Dr. Tusten said that was not an available at a Catholic-affiliated hospital.
然后塔斯滕醫生說天主教醫院不能進行這種治療
How long were you at St. Mary's?
你們在圣瑪麗醫院待了多久?
Three days.
三天
And after you were discharged?
你們出院以后?
We went to our family doctor to
我們去見家庭醫生
try to get the prescription there.
想獲得藥物處方
That's when they told us that it has to be taken within seventy-two hours.
就是那個時候他們告訴我,藥物必須要在72小時內服用
It was too late. I was already pregnant.
一切都晚了,我那時已懷孕了
How do you plan to handle the pregnancy?
你準備如何處理這次懷孕?
I have always been morally opposed to abortion, so...
我在道德上一直反對墮胎,所以...
of course I never imagined this.
當然,我沒預料過這種情況
I don't... I don't know.
我不...我不知道
When you were told that
當你被告知
emergency contraception was unavailable,
無法提供緊急避孕措施時
did you ask for a referral to get the medication elsewhere?
你是否要求過轉院,在其他地方獲得藥物?
No, because...
沒有,因為...
Did you or your mother bring the concern up again during your time at the hospital?
你或者你母親在醫院期間,有沒有再次提過當心懷孕?
Well, they had made it pretty clear...
他們說得很清楚...
I'm sorry, Amelia. Yes or no?
對不起,阿米莉婭,有或沒有?
No.
沒有
Thank you.
謝謝你
Nothing further.
沒有其它問題了
It was on Denny's orders.
是丹尼的命令
It's Bev's cat.
貝弗的貓
That woman's influence on this firm is increasing daily.
那個女人對公司的影響日益增長
Well at least the case won't go to court.
至少,案件不會上庭
They've agreed to arbitration,
他們同意仲裁
once the arbitrator sees the evidence
只要仲裁人看到證據
he'll rule to pull the plug and that'll be that.
他就會下令拔掉管子,很可能就那樣
You'd better hope he doesn't.
你最好希望他不會
Come again?
再說一遍?
Brad, since your attempt to bribe Denny's fiance to leave him failed Brad
你之前企圖賄賂丹尼的未婚妻,要她離開他
so miserably we must now stay on her good side lest she tell Denny.
結果完全失敗,所以我們現在要好好伺候她,以免她告訴丹尼
You have to win the case quickly and quietly.
你得要速戰速決,別弄出什么動靜
It's like Friggin Shakespear around here.
好像來了個他奶奶的莎士比亞,(之前三句對話講述的事情像一出肥皂劇)
Dr. Kumi, as an OB-Gyn, could you tell us
庫米醫生,作為婦產科醫師,你能告訴我們
how and why emergency contraception is used?
怎樣和為何要采取緊急避孕措施?
It's a higher dosage of the same hormones that are used in birth control pills.
一種和避孕藥片類型相同,但劑量更高的荷爾蒙激素
It's administered as a last minute contraceptive to prevent pregnancy.
作為最后關頭的緊急避孕用品
And in your expert opinion, how is it related to the abortion pill?
以你的專業意見看來,它和墮胎藥有何關聯?
It's not. RU-486, also called the "abortion pill",
它不像RU-486也就是通常所說的"墮胎藥"那樣
terminates an existing pregnancy.
中斷已經發生的懷孕
Emergency contraception, like all methods of contraception,
緊急避孕措施和其他避孕措施一樣
keeps a pregnancy from occurring.
都是在懷孕發生之前進行阻止
And if a fertilized egg has successfully
如果受精卵已經成功進入子宮壁
been implanted meaning a pregnancy has begun?
是否意味著懷孕已經發生?
Taking the morning-after pill has no effect.
使用事后避孕藥沒有任何效果
It can only prevent a pregnancy, it cannot terminate one.
它只能阻止懷孕,不能中斷懷孕
So there is no correlation between the morning-after pill and abortion.
因此事后避孕藥和墮胎沒有任何關聯?
There's a significant inverse correlation.
兩者完全是背道而馳
Studies show emergency contraception, if it's made readily available,
研究顯示如果緊急避孕措施能輕易獲得
could prevent as many as seven hundred thousand abortions a year.
每年將減少多達70萬的墮胎數
Your Honor, this whole matter is about Spite.
法官大人,這完全是一場互相怨恨的事件
His! Hers!
他!和她!
Objection.
反對
People, let's put the vitriol aside not to mention the complete
我們把風涼話先擺一邊吧
ludicrousness of this case.
不要提這個案件是多么愚蠢可笑
And look at the facts.
只關注事實
Ms. Bridge, you've owned this cat for eleven years?
布里奇夫人,你擁有這只貓已經11年了
That is correct. Your Honor.
完全正確,法官大人
Nevertheless, the court awarded Mr. Bridge joint custody of Barry.
但是法庭依然授予了布里奇先生,巴里的共同監護權
The cat's name is Barry Manilow?
這只貓叫巴里?馬尼洛?
It is. Your Honor.
是的,法官大人
My client has developed a strong bond with Barry.
我的當事人與巴里發展出了密切的關系
Strong bond.
密切的關系
Strong bond? Give me a break.
密切的關系?省省吧
Your Honor, let the record reflect that since the divorce
法官大人,請看證據記錄反映的事實,自離婚以后
Mr. Bridge has been late in returning the cat, fed him dry food only,
布里奇先生遲遲不歸還貓,只喂他干食
did not have adequate litter box hygiene.
貓窩沒有適當的衛生條件
And was often seen calling the cat stupid in public.
而且經常被見證在公眾場合稱這只貓為蠢貨
That's terrible.
真是太可惡了
It's a cat. I don't think I hurt his feelings.
它是一只貓,我想自己沒有傷害他的感情
As directed by the joint custody agreement,
共同監護協議指出
Mr. Bridge was required to make all veterinary payments.
布里奇先生要支付所有的獸醫費用
And Ms. Bridge, acting out of malice, took advantage of that
而布里奇夫人出于惡意,利用這一點
by subjecting the cat to the most expensive treatments possible.
讓這只貓做最昂貴的治療
Objection. He's disparaging my client.
反對,他在毀謗我的當事人
Three thousand dollars a month?
一個月三千美元?
Could this possibly be correct?
這有可能是真的?
Yeah, it is. Your Honor.
是真的,法官大人
We have an affidavit from the vet.
我們有獸醫的書面證明
Barry is ninety-nine, point nine percent dead.
巴里已經99.9%死亡了
Which makes him point one percent alive.
說明還有0.1%的生還可能
The glass is half full, Your Honor.
杯子有一半是滿的,法官大人,(比喻要看好的一面,積極一些)
Barry's completely alive to me.
對于我來說巴里還活得好好的
How could you tell under your drunken haze?
你喝得爛醉怎么會知道?
Hey! Hey.
嘿!嘿
Enough!
夠了!
Let I remind you that I can still pose sanctions in arbitration.
讓我提醒你們這次仲裁中我依然能進行處罰
This is a property matter only.
這是財產問題
Keep the emotions out.
不要牽扯到感情
We shall reconvene tomorrow
我們明天重新開始
and I'll try not to remind myself
我會努力不再告訴自己
that this is a day I'll never get back.
這又是一個不堪回首的日子
Excuse me, could you direct me to the conference room please?
打擾一下,可以告訴我會議室在哪里嗎?
Sure. It's down the hall to the left.
當然,走廊盡頭左拐
Thank you.
謝謝你
Hello everyone.
大家好
Hello!
你們好!
You must be the chairman, Lester Tremont?
你一定是主席了,萊斯特?特里蒙特?
I am.
是我
I'm Alan Shore. Thank you for seeing me.
我叫艾倫?肖爾,謝謝你會見我
I won't take up much of your time.
我不會占用你多少時間
As you know I'm here regarding Marissa Deaver.
你知道,我代表馬里薩?迪弗來這里
Yes, we have her application in front of us.
是的,她的申請就放在我們前面
Ah!. Delightful.
啊!可喜可賀
We can all take pleasure in it together.
我們可以一起來分享快樂
As you see she's obviously an exceptional student.
如你所見,她明顯是個不同尋常的學生
She's in the top ten percentile on her standardized tests,
她標準考試成績名列前10%
her grades have never dipped below an A-minus,
她等積評定從未低于A-
she persues and excels in broad range of extracurricular activities
她業余愛好廣泛,成績斐然
and yet she wasn't admitted into your fine instistution.
而她卻依然未入你的法眼
We all make mistakes.
我們都會犯錯誤
And perhaps it was partially our fault.
可能部分錯誤在我們
Her mother tells me she had a dreadful interview
她母親說她面試糟糕
which sometimes happens especially considering
這種事情不時發生,特別考慮到
the extenuating circumstances in this case.
這個"案子"中"罪行"減輕的情況,(她不能笑)
My thought to rectify the situation is this,
對于糾正這個問題,我的想法是
you re-interview Marissa, review her remarkable work
你們重新面試馬里薩,看看她的杰作
and reconsider putting her on your roster at Adams Academy
重新考慮把她加入到你們亞當斯學院的花名冊中
and let's go beat our arch rivals, whoever they are.
讓我們專心應付主要的對手,不管他們是誰
Sounds like quite a plan.
聽來是個不錯的計劃
Unfortunately we have sent out all our admissions letters,
可惜我們已經發出了所有入學通知書
the class is full and there's an extensive wait list.
班級人數已滿,候選名單還有一長串
Ah.
啊
And while we would love to accomondate Marissa,
如果我們留下馬里薩
it would be unfair to all the other applicants.
對其他申請者就不公平了
Yes it would be. I was hoping we wouldn't tell them.
確實如此,我本希望我們不提到他們呢
Have you seen any of Marissa's art work?
你們見過馬里薩的作品嗎?
Here's a self-portrait which certainly exhibits a depth of insight
這是一張自畫像,展示了一定深度的內涵
that is highly unusual for a child of nine.
對于一個九歲的孩子來說不同凡響
As you know, Marissa is a girl who cannot smile.
你們知道馬里薩是個不能笑的女孩
Yes, that was brought to our attention,
沒錯,那點很受我們關注
and our hearts go out to her.
使我們的心不向著她
Tell you what. Let's make a deal.
我們做個交易吧
Keep your hearts, and let the girl into the school.
不要偏心,讓這個女孩進學校
Mr. Shore. The Adams Academy is a highly demanding, highly competitive institution.
We turn down over ninety percent of our applicants.
我們要淘汰90%的申請人
And in a transfer case like this, it's ninety-eight percent.
在這類轉校生中更要淘汰98%
Now for whatever reasons, Marrissa simply did not meet our standards.
現在不管基于什么理由,馬里薩都沒有達到我們的標準
Perhaps she just need a year of maturing...
或許她需要一年變得成熟些...
Maturing? She's ready for retirement.
成熟?她還要退休了呢
Well, she is free to reapply to our academy next year.
那么,她明年可以免費申請
She cannot wait another year.
她不能再等一年了
Thank you for coming in, Mr. Shore.
謝謝你的來訪,肖爾先生
I take it we've stopped being nice. I know I have.
我把這句話看成友好談話的結束,我就知道會這樣
Mr. Tremont, Marissa has a disability,
特里蒙特先生,馬里薩有殘疾
and you and your institution are discriminating against her.
你和你的學校歧視她
Mr. Shore, that is not true.
肖爾先生,那不是真的
But even if it were true...
但就算是真的...
as a private school we have every right to discriminate against disabled students.
我們是私立學校,有權利歧視殘疾學生
As a private school we aren't bound by the I.D.E.A. and
我們是私立學校,不受《殘疾人教育法》的限制
neither parents nor students have any recourse to challenge denial of service.
父母和學生對被拒絕持有異議,都無法獲得任何法律上的支持
Oh my God. You're a lawyer.
哦!天哪,你是律師
Yes. Several of us are.
沒錯,我們中間有幾個
Let me tell you two things about myself. I too am a lawyer.
我告訴你兩件事情,我也是律師
I can be painfully vindictive and I do not play fair.
我報復心強而且從不守規矩
That's three things.
那是三件事情
See? Not playing fair already.
看見了嗎?已經不守規矩了
I'm just getting started.
我才剛剛熱身呢
Mr. Shore, our school has been sued several times.
肖爾先生,我們學校已經被起訴過若干次了
Never successfully.
從沒有成功的
You know what they say, Lester.
有句話你聽過嗎?萊斯特
You never forget your first time.
你永遠不會忘記第一次
Dr. Tusten, Ms. Bauer is saying that there's no moral debate at play here.
Tusten醫生,鮑爾夫人說,這個案子不存在道德上的爭論
In the Catholic religion, human life begins when the egg is fertilized not implanted.
天主教認為人類生命從卵子受精就開始了,而不是在受精卵進入子宮后
At that stage a life is in motion.
在那個階段生命已開始
Regardless of how it happened,
不管發生什么
my moral and religious beliefs
我的道德觀和宗教信仰
will not allow me to interfere
都不會允許我中斷這一過程
and the conscience clause ensures that I don't have to.
而道德條款也給了我不做的權力
Of course you also follow this.
你當然也遵守了這個
The U.S. Department of Justice's protocol for treating sexual assault victims, is that right?
美國司法部關于治療性侵犯受害者的草案,是嗎?
It's a very effective tool for handling the delicate nature of these cases.
這是非常有效的工具,適合處理這類棘手的情況
In the one hundred and thirty pages of this document
在這長達130頁的文檔中
does it ever recommend using the morning-after pill?
沒有提到推薦使用事后避孕藥?
No.
沒有
But it does address several important issues regarding the care of a sexual assault victim,
但在治療性侵犯受害者方面,它著重指出了一些重要事項
including collecting a biological sample to assist in locating and prosecuting the attacker.
包括收集生體樣本協助追查和起訴襲擊者
And were you successful in obtaining that sample?
你們成功取出樣本了嗎?
We were.
我們取到了
The rapist was identified, convicted and is awaiting sentencing.
強奸犯身份已經確認,并宣告罪名成立,正在等待判決
Nothing further.
沒有問題了
Dr. Tusten, in extreme
Tusten醫生,這性侵犯這種極端情況下
circumstances like sexual assault, many Catholic hospitals will make an exception
許多天主教醫院都會給強奸受害者例外對待
to the provide rape victims with emergency contraception.
提供緊急避孕措施
Catholic hospitals are free to interpret sections of the Ethical and Religious Directives liberally or conservatively.
天主教醫院對倫理和宗教指令細節的解釋,不受限制,可以有自由或保守的傾向
We at St. Mary's take a very strict application of Catholic teachings.
我們圣瑪麗醫院嚴格執行天主教教義
Tell me, Dr. Tusten, do you have a set schedule at the ER?
告訴我,Tusten醫生,你在急診室的工作時間是否固定?
Nine to five, Monday to Friday?
是朝九晚五,周一到周五?
Shifts are usually much longer than that.
輪班的時間通常要長多了
We're often on call for twenty-four hours at a time.
我們總是全天24小時待命
Ah! So you often work weekends?
啊!所以你經常在周末工作?
Of course.
當然
But that would put you squarely on the job during the Sabbath. And..
但那就明顯指出你在安息日也工作了
Exodus 35:2 states that he who works on the Sabbath should be put to death.
《圣經:出埃及記》 35章第2節說,"安息日工作之人應當受死"
That's a rather fundamentalist interpretation.
那是極端正統教徒才遵守的
Moving on.
繼續
Mark 16:18 states that a believer can drink any deadly thing and not be harmed.
《圣經新約:馬可福音,》16章第18節說,"信徒可飲用任何致死之物而不受傷害"
As a physician, are you ready to say that
身為醫生,你會說
your Catholic patients can take a swig of arsenic and suffer no adverse effects?
你的天主教病人可以大喝砒霜,而沒有任何副作用?
That's not intended to be interpreted literally.
這條不能按字面意思理解
But, you interpret some things literally.
但你可是按字面意思解釋某些東西
Are you saying that you just follow the parts of the Bible that make sense to you?
你是要說你只遵守<圣經>中對你有利的部分?
God was fairly straightforward with, "Thou shalt not kill".
上帝清晰明了的指出,"汝不應殺人"
They said, "If you pour it, people come".
俗話說"只要你肯說,不愁沒人看"
Not tonight, Denny. I'm angry.
今晚別來了,丹尼,我很生氣
Did you know private schools can openly discriminate
你知道私立學校可以公開歧視
because of religion, gender, even disability?
宗教,性別,甚至殘疾?
Of course they can. They're private.
當然可以,他們是私立的
That's the way it oughta to be.
合情合理
That's the way it once was with clubs.
這就是私人俱樂部甚囂塵上的原因
Before the feminists, lesbian cabal ruined this country.
直到這些女權主義者,女同性戀團體,毀掉這個國(極度性別歧視)
Trying to get a young girl into the Adams Academy.
在幫一個女孩子進亞當斯學院
The one Miss Gloomy Gerta there?
幫那個滿臉陰沉的Gerta小姐?
She's not gloomy.
她不是那個樣子
Oh, pulled a coin out of her ear, she didn't even laugh.
是啊,把硬幣從她耳朵里變出來,笑都不笑一下
There's something wrong with that girl.
那個女孩有些毛病
That is the acid test.
那是個嚴峻的考驗
You're a little Gloomy Gerta yourself, aren't you?
你和那個女孩是一類人,沒錯吧?
I don't know how I'm gonna get her in.
我不知道要怎樣幫她入學
The entire legal system sits squarely on the other side.
整個法律系統立在另一邊,牢不可破
You are missing the whole point.
你卻忽略了整體
Which is?
哪一點?
The concept of private.
私有的概念
Private doesn't operate by the law.
私有不受法律控制
Private operates above the law.
私有凌駕于法律之上
Like, like Greek gods.
就像希臘眾神
Hovering above the earth on
翱翔在半空
their own private mountain.
他們有私有的山峰,(暗示學校)
Now Greek gods broke the rules and the laws,
現在希臘眾神破壞了法律和秩序,(暗示私立學校的管理者)
but the one thing they respect was power and influence.
但他們唯一尊重的就是權勢與影響
And Alan, if all else fails, Alan
當其它方法都失敗
and you think you've lost
你以為自己已經輸了
pretend you've won!
裝作自己贏了!
Works for our president.
我們的總統就是這樣做的
Maybe it just isn't funny.
也許真是不好笑
I hate cats.
我討厭貓
I beg your pardon?
請再說一遍?
Can't stand 'em.
受不了他們
Barry belonged to my third husband. Barry
屬于我第三任丈夫
When he tried to pick me up at a bar,
他在酒吧泡我的時
his toupee was slipping. He told me he was a breast inspector.
假發掉了,他說自己是乳房檢查師
And you married him?
你還嫁給了他?
You can see why I preferred the cat.
你知道我為何偏愛這只貓了
Husbands come and go.
丈夫一個接一個
And when they go their friends go with them
他們離去,朋友也隨之而去
and you end up alone.
只留下你孤單一人
Except for Barry.
還有Barry
I apologize for what can be construed as an inappropriate gesture last week.
我為上周的失禮道歉
As you should.
你應當如此
And I know you think I'm blackmailing you
我知道你認為我在勒索你
because you tried to bribe me, and I am,
因為你試圖賄賂我,而我確實如此
but putting all this aside for now,
但現在把所有這些放一邊去
I really need you to win this.
我真的需要你贏這場官司
Please.
求你了
You want to see me, Mr. Crane?
你想見我,克蘭先生?
Yeah. Yeah. Garrett, ah.
是的,加勒特
Good morning.
早上好
Here, come on.
到這來
Funny?
有趣嗎?
How did you do that?
你怎么做到的?
You and me lunch tomorrow...
你和我明天一起午餐...
I'll show you how.
我來教你
Let's keep in mind exactly who's at fault for Amelia Warner's trauma.
我們要記住究竟是誰讓阿米莉婭?華納遭受痛苦
Her rapist.
強奸她的人
And yet, here we are attacking the doctor that treated Amelia,
現在我們卻在攻擊治療她的醫生
whoes efforts are responsible for the apprehension and imprisonment of that rapist.
而正是他的努力協助拘捕并關押了那個強奸犯
Because that doctor acted within his rights,
因為那位醫生做了他權限之內的事情
did not administer medication that conflicted with his religious beliefs,
那種藥物和他的宗教信仰產生沖突
beliefs that he promised to uphold when he was hired at St. Mary's.
那個信仰是他在被圣瑪麗醫院雇用時承諾認同的
But forget religion. Let's look at the law.
但不管宗教,我們就看法律
In a one hundred and thirty pages of protocol on how to treat sexual assault victims the Unites States Department of Justice
在長達130頁的美國司法部關于,治療性侵害受害者的草案中
never even mentions the use of emergency contraception.
從未提到使用緊急避孕措施
It's simply not the standard of care.
那根本就不需要考慮
There is in fact no law in place in the state of Massachusetts
事實上馬薩諸塞州沒有任何法律
that explicitly requires Catholic hospitals to dispense or provide information for emergency contraception under any circumstances.
明確要求天主教醫院在任何情況下,分發或提供緊急避孕措施的信息
And we simply can't pretend that there is on the basis of sentiment or sympathy.
我們不能因為傷感或同情而忽略這一事實
One of our many rights in this country is what is called "informed consent".
我們國家的眾多權利中有一條叫做"知情權"
Every patient has the right to decide what happens to his or her body.
每個病人對他或她身體的任何改變都有決定權
And to make that decision a patient needs to rely on her doctor to disclose all available options.
要做出那樣的決定,病人必須依賴醫生公開所有的選擇
Do you want chemo therapy or surgery for a brain tumor?
腦部有了腫瘤你是愿意做化療還是手術?
Do you want to amputate below the knee
你是愿意做膝下切除術
and hope for the best and risk death from gangrene?
還是冒著得壞疽的風險保留肢體?
Do you want to prevent pregnancy or have your rapist's baby?
你是否想阻止懷上強奸你的人的孩子?
Amelia Warner didn't get to choose.
阿米莉婭?華納沒有選擇的機會
She was deprived of a crucial medically relevant option because
她被剝奪了知曉關鍵相關醫療信息的權利
her doctor didn't approve of it.
就因為她的醫生不贊同這種治療行為
She didn't choose to receive health care restricted by religious doctrine.
她并非志愿選擇接受,嚴格受到宗教教義限制的醫療
She was taken to the ER unconscious.
她是在無意識的情況下被送到急診室
She relied on her doctor at St. Mary's
她只能依賴她在圣瑪麗醫院的醫生
to provide her with proper care or refer her elsewhere and he failed her.
給她提供醫療和相關事宜,但他沒有做到
Twenty-five thousand women will become pregnant from rapes this year.
今年25000名女性因被強奸而懷孕
If all of those women took this emergency contraception,
如果所有這些女性進行了緊急避孕
twenty-two thousand of those pregnancies could be avoided.
其中22000人將避免懷孕
Doctors provide a crucial public benefit to a diverse society
在多元化的社會中,醫生應以公眾利益為先
and we cannot condone it when they impose their own religion
我們不能容忍,醫生把他們的宗教信仰強加給病人
on patients whom they are professionally obligated to serve.
而沒有盡到提供專業意見的義務
Especially patients in their most vulnerable state.
尤其是當病人處于極度脆弱的狀態中
A teenage for example, brought in to the emergency room after a brutal rape.
例如一個在被暴力強奸后帶到急診室的少女
A teenager who is now left to choose
一個現在只剩下兩個選擇少女
between violating her own moral principals in terminating the pregnancy
是違反自己道德原則終止懷孕
or postponing college to deliver this child.
還是推遲進大學生下這個嬰兒
A child conceived against her will,
一個被逼懷孕的孩子
a direct result of the most traumatic ordeal she has ever endured.
一個經歷著從未有過痛苦折磨的孩子
Mr Tremont!
Tremont先生!
Mr Shore!
肖爾先生!
I believe our business is done in regards to Ms Deaver.
關于迪弗小姐的事情我想我們已經談完了
Oh, absolutely. Water under the bridge.
哦,當然,木已成舟
I'm here in an entirely unrelated matter.
我是為了完全不相干的事來的
Yes. What is it, Cindy?
喂,什么事情,辛迪?
There's a news crew from ABC here?
來了一個ABC的新聞采訪組
What?
什么?
That happens to be the unrelated matter.
那就是不相干的事情
What's going on?
怎么回事?
Well. The thing is it's all my fault.
這樣的,整件事情都是我的錯
I was so sure I was going to be victorious and persuade you to admit Marissa into you school.
我太確信自己能成功說服你讓瑪麗薩入學
Total hubris on my part, I went and called Darcy DeVictor,
狂妄自大的我聯系了Darcy DeVictor
she does the human interest pieces over at the local ABC affiliate.
她來自ABC本地分支機構,正在做一檔有關人權的節目
We were briefly an item.
我們一拍即合
Don't let her perky on-air demeanor fool you
不要被她裝腔作勢的樣子騙了
she's quite deviant in the bedroom. Anyway.
她在床上可沒這么正經
I figured this was exactly the kind of story that Darcy likes...
總之,我覺得Darcy一定喜歡這個故事
and this is the part that gets me excited... sink her teeth into.
當然也讓我特別興奮...放到她的小嘴中,(18禁)
You know the little artist that can't smile
你知道這位小藝術家不能笑
and the supportive school that loves her.
學校有很多人喜歡她
I always love showing off in front of an exgirlfriend,
我總是愛在前女友前賣弄
but wouldn't you know it, I got excited and jumped the gun.
但你有所不知,我一興奮就沖動
So! I'll let you get back to work.
所以!我不打擾你工作了
I'm gonna go out and let her know that I was wrong and you were right and
我就到外面去告訴她我錯了,你對了
the school prevailed in its determination to discriminate against this little girl and her disability.
這個學校成功歧視了這個有殘疾的小女孩
You wouldn't happen to have any of Marissa's drawings still?
你現在碰巧還有瑪麗薩的畫作嗎?
Darcy was dying to show them on air.
達西可是很想把它們放到電視上哦
Hey! This may be a way to salvage a story actually.
嘿,這樣這個故事就有料了
You know? The little girl who can't smile,
知道嗎?一個不能笑的小女孩
her dream shattered by the exclusionary will of the inbred elite.
她的夢想因"精英"們的排擠而破滅
Something like that!
就是這類東西!
Oh! Wait! I got something.
噢!等等!我有個點子
Darcy?
達西?
Lestor!
貝斯特!
Doggy massage. Pet Prozac.
狗狗按摩,貓咪瑜伽
Kitty yoga. Bark-Mitzvahs.
寵物抗抑郁藥,犬類防吠口罩
Pet plastic surgery? And now life support?
寵物整容?現在又是生命維持裝置?
What is wrong with us?
我們有病嗎?
Have we lost all perspective?
我們已經喪失理智?
There are now as many starving people in this world
這個世界還有好多人在忍饑挨餓
as there were people in this world a generation ago.
數量幾乎和上一代人總數相同
And yet every year in this country we spend thirty billion dollars on our pets.
而這個國家每年在寵物身上要花掉300億美元
Your Honor, you had this right from the beginning.
法官大人,您一開始就完全正確
This is ludicrous.
真是荒謬
This is a property issue just as you noted.
正如您所說這是財產問題
And as hard as it is to let Barry Manilow go,
讓巴里?馬尼洛死去并不輕松
it's time to stop prolonging the inevitable.
但是時候停止阻撓這必然發生的事了
Your Honor? I have to admit
法官大人?我必須承認
when I first picked this case
剛開始接下這個案子時
I thought it was just as silly as you do.
我和您一樣認為這是愚蠢行徑
I mean this couple broke up,
我意思是這對夫妻分手了
they managed to divvy up the car and TV,
他們分掉了汽車和電視
why couldn't they figure out what to do with the cat?
為何不能解決貓的問題?
Because.
因為
Unlike our cars and our TV's
與汽車和電視不同
our pets transcend our property.
寵物超越了財產的范疇
Property that lives and breaths.
活著并呼吸著的財產
Property that loves us back unconditionally
無條件愛我們的財產
in an increasingly harsh and isolating world.
在日益嚴酷孤獨的世界中
This is what Barry Manilow is, and always has been to Beverly Bridge!
巴里?馬尼洛永遠向著貝弗莉?里奇!
Now, Barry Manilow didn't care how much makeup Beverly wore
Barry Manilow不管貝弗莉的化妝品值多少錢
or whether her outfits were just a little bit too tight for someone her age.
或者相對年齡,她的衣服是否太緊身了些
He never ostracized her when she got divorced or demanded she get a job.
他從不排斥她或者要求她找個工作
Never asked how she spent her money.
從不問她怎樣花錢
Never came home smelling like another woman.
從不帶著其他女人身上味道回家
And he never made Beverly his trophy!
他從不把貝弗莉當成戰利品!
Barry Manilow was simply there for
巴里?馬尼洛向著貝弗莉
In fact Barry Manilow treated Beverly better than most of her husbands did.
實際上巴里?馬尼洛對貝弗莉,比她大多數丈夫都好
Now he may be very ill now,
他現在或許病入膏肓
but there's a slight chance that he can recover.
但只要有一絲希望
We need to hold on to that chance.
我們都要緊緊抓住
Who among us here has the power to say
我們中間誰能說
that the spark of a soul is any less significant because it resides in the body of a pet?
那純潔的靈魂就因為棲身于寵物身體,就不再那么重要?
I do.
我能
It's a cat.
那是只貓
And the costs of keeping this cat on a ventilator indefinitely are exorbitant.
讓這只貓靠呼吸機維生費用過于高昂
Especially coupled with the pain this cat must be in
特別考慮到貓要忍受的痛苦
and its remote chance of recovery.
和渺茫的生還希望
Ms Bridge, I am sorry for your loss,
布里奇夫人,我很遺憾
but I must hereby order that Barry Manilow's ventilator be shut off.
但基于以上理由我必須下令,關閉巴里?馬尼洛的呼吸機
That damn cat isn't gonna die.
那條賤貓死不了了
Fine. You can have him.
行了,這死東西歸你
Has the jury reached its verdict?
陪審團是否已得出結論?
We have, Your Honor.
是的,法官大人
What say you?
請宣讀
We the jury find in favor of the plaintiff
陪審團一致裁定
and hereby award compensatory damages in the amount of one hundred thousand dollars.
被告支付補償性賠償10萬美元
Additionally, we award punitive damages in the amount of two point six million dollars.
并額外支付懲罰性賠償260萬美元
The court thanks the jury for its service.
本庭感謝陪審團的服務
We are adjourned.
退庭
Thank you.
謝謝你
Congratulations.
恭喜
Thank you so much.
太感謝你了
Amelia, you are a courageous human being. Amelia
你很有勇氣
I don't feel like it, but thank you.
我不喜歡這種評價,但還是謝謝你
You look good in blue, Marissa.
你穿藍衣服很好看,瑪麗薩
I drew this for you.
這是我給你畫的
Oh my goodness!
喔,天哪!
It looks like they're going to have a quite a day.
看來他倆會有美好的一天
You know, Marissa,
你知道嗎?
not smiling has its benefits.
不笑也有好處
You don't give your thoughts away so easily
你不會輕易表露自己的想法
It's a great advantage in card playing
打牌時這可是極大的優勢
That's funny. But...
很好笑,但...
I'd rather fit in.
我寧愿和大家一樣
Have you ever heard of a Greek philosopher named Epictetus?
你聽說過古希臘的哲學家埃皮克提圖嗎?
No.
沒有
It was a funny man with a certain flare for life.
這是個很有趣的人,對生活有獨到看法
Epictetus compared people who "fit in" to the white threads of a toga. Indistinguishable.
他認為"入世"者如同裹上白絲袍,泯然眾人矣
He wanted to be the purple thread.
他要穿上紫絲袍
"That small part which is bright,"
"細小卻閃亮的線條"
"and makes all the rest appear graceful and beautiful".
"讓衣物其余部分顯得典雅優美"
Why then... " he asked, "do you tell me to make myself like the many?"
他問到"為何你要我同大多數人一樣?"
"And if I do, how shall I still be purple?"
"如果我那樣,還會如此與眾不同嗎?"
Sometimes being purple is kind of a pain.
有時候與眾不同很痛苦
Yes.
是的
Bev
貝弗.
Hello, Brad.
你好,布拉德
Barry's feeling better?
巴里感覺好些了?
I mean, he doesn't walk or move or anything,
他還不能動
but he's breathing on his own.
但已經可以自主呼吸了
I didn't exactly win the case,
確切的說我沒有贏這個官司
but "All's well, that end's well. "
但"結局好就全都好,"(All's well than End's well莎士比亞)
So we're square.
那么我們兩不相欠了
I'll tell you when we're square, Brad.
何時扯平由我說了算,布拉德
Damn it.
媽的
So?
那么?
I just spoke with her mother.
我剛和她母親通話
She's having an abortion.
她墮胎了
While it's still legal.
趁現在還合法
Girl who said she would never even consider it.
她說過永遠不會考慮這樣做
Well. What's the alternative?
那還有什么選擇?
Having custody battles with your rapist?
和強奸你的人打監護權官司?
Sorry. That was really tasteless.
對不起,這樣說很俗氣
It's all tasteless.
全都一個樣
I mean the more science comes up with alternatives to the misery of abortion the louder the opposition.
科學給墮胎者選擇更多,反對的聲音也就越大
Course it's about power.
當然,這是權利斗爭
It's always been about power.
永遠都是權利的斗爭
These guys have any friends?
那些家伙沒有朋友?
Not for long.
有也不長久
Alan
艾倫.
I've been thinking about something.
我一直在考慮
What's that?
什么事情?
I want you to kill me.
我想要你殺了我
The scotch and cigars and nightly
蘇格蘭威士忌加雪茄
consumption or red meat have that well in hand.
夜夜笙歌,狂吃紅肉,你已經差不多了
No, no, no. Seriously.
不,說真的
I don't fear death. I never have.
我不怕死,從來不怕
But I am afraid of being hooked up to a machine.
但我怕被掛在機器上
All those tubes, brain, mush.
插滿管子,不省人事
Would you like to live like that?
你愿意那樣活著?
No. If it came to that, my
不愿,如果到了那個時候
friend, I would pull your plug.
老朋友,我會拔掉你的管子
Pull a plug? What kind of death is that?
拔掉管子?那是怎樣的死法?
I want you to shoot me.
我要你開槍打死我
Shoot you?
打死你?
Denny Crane is not gonna be turned off like a hair dryer.
丹尼?克蘭的死絕不能像關上電吹風
Live by the gun, die by the gun.
生于槍,死于槍
I'm not gonna shoot you.
我不會開槍打你
Why not? I'd shoot you!
為什么不?我會打你!
Denny, you've been a lawyer in this town for forty years. Denny
你在這里做了40年律師了
I'm sure there are plenty of people who'd willing shoot you.
我肯定想殺死你的人不少
Well, I don't wanna be shot by a stranger.
我不想死在陌生人手上
I wanna be shot by someone who, who cares for me.
我想被關心我的人打死
The answer is, "No".
回答是"不"
Bah! You b... Democrate!
你這個民主黨人!
Protesting wars, banning guns!
反對戰爭,禁止槍支!
If you Nancy's had your way
如果Nancy和你一樣不擇手段,(指Nancy Pelosi,加州的民主黨眾議員,極力禁槍)
nobody would ever shoot anybody.
就不會有人打死別人了
And then where would we be?
到時我們又會怎樣?
Where would we be?
我們又會怎樣?