Previously on Boston Legal
前情提要
Do we have anybody in corporate who
法人團體中有誰是
understands this credit card world?
熟悉信用卡業務的么?
Somebody... Hands.
有誰... 怪手
Sorry? Hands Espenson,
誰? 怪手Espenson
banking and finance genius.
銀行及金融業天才
Only don't call him "Hands."
只要別叫他"怪手"
Why would I? Bingo!
為什么我要這么做? 賓果!
Why doesn't he move his hands?
為什么他的手一動不動?
Bingo! You making fun of me?
賓果! 你是在取笑我么?
Should we be married and sensible and go home and
我們是否應該明智點娶個老婆
do whatever men do at home?
然后回家盡點男人應盡的職責?
I have nothing against
我對婚姻并不抗拒
marriage. I've done it five times.
我已經結過5次婚了
But here's the thing about wives.
但讓我抗拒的是老婆
They don't let you play with your friends.
她們不準你和朋友出去玩
I'll take a friend over a wife every time.
我每次都是朋友優先的
Not only a patron of the arts,
不僅僅是藝術品的捐贈人
Denny Crane is a generous
丹尼?克蘭樂善好施
contributor of his time, energy and enthusiasm.
貢獻了他的時間,精力和熱忱
What the hell kind of charity is children's group?
兒童團是個什么鬼慈善機構?
We're teaching children to read.
我們教孩子們讀書
No, we're buying them food.
不,我們填飽他們的肚子
I thought that we were providing
我還以為我們是為他們提供
them with old people to play with.
和老人家一起玩樂的機會
I believe it's a children's theater group.
我認為這是個兒童戲劇團
Well, how can kids with
那么,患有肌肉萎縮癥的兒童
muscular dystrophy do theater?
如何表演戲劇?
They don't have muscular dystrophy.
他們沒有肌肉萎縮癥
Then what the hell are we doing here?
那我們來這兒做什么?
Judas priest, there's a game on.
猶大牧師,來找點樂子玩玩
Don't be long, Denny. Your speech is up next.
別去太久,丹尼,馬上就要到你演講了
And you might want to actually
考慮到你是主賓
practice it, considering you're the honoree.
你一定想要練習一下演講詞
Not to worry.
不用擔心
It's all up here.
全在這兒呢
Please tell me there's no press here tonight.
拜托,今晚這里千萬別有記者
Scotch. Single malt.
單麥威士忌
Straight.
純的
Nice night.
真是個美妙的夜晚
Suddenly it is.
突然之間變得美妙了
He's often told me that writing a check is easy.
他總是告訴我說,寫張支票很容易
Should we go look for him?
我們是不是該去找他?
He'll be here. Denny's
他會回來的,丹尼從不會錯過
never one to miss the spotlight.
在聚光燈下露臉的機會
But rolling up your sleeves and
但是卷起袖子
getting dirty out on the front line,
在前線摸爬滾打
that is not easy.
卻并不那么容易
Faster!
快點!
And I'll wrap this up
我要在他的頭漲得太大前
before his head swells too much.
趕快結束
The Emcee's winding down, people.
主持人在做結束語了
I knew we should have tagged him.
我就知道我們得盯住他
Ladies and gentlemen,
女士們,先生們
the children's group
兒童團
applauds and honors Mr. Denny Crane!
讓我們用熱烈的掌聲向丹尼?克蘭先生致敬!
Dear lord.
我的主啊
Thank you, thank you!
謝謝,謝謝各位!
There's no doubt we do it all for the children.
毫無疑問,我們這么做都是為了孩子,(雙關,暗指之前在衣帽間的事)
And what did you think of my speech?
那么,你覺得我的演講如何?
Excellent.
精彩至極
Thank you for writing it for me.
謝謝你等我
Give me a call sometime.
有時間打電話給我
You know how to use a business card, don't you?
你知道怎么用名片,是吧?
You just whip it out of your pocket and...
你只要把它從口袋里抽出來,然后...
Blow.
隨風飛舞
You look puzzled. I am.
你看起來很迷惑,的確如此
A woman I just had sex with hands me her card,
一個剛和我做完愛的女人遞了張名片給我
and I have no desire to throw it away.
而且我并不想扔掉它
You had sex with her here?
你在這兒和她做愛?
Hot, sweaty sex right there in the coat check room.
熱情如火,大汗淋漓的在衣帽間里做愛
Keep it.
留著吧
Daniel Post, CEO. K reisbergPellam, incorporated.
丹尼爾?波斯特,KreisbergPellam有限責任公司CEO(首席執行官)
He has stage4 metastasized lung cancer.
他患有4級轉移肺癌
Never fun.
真可憐
A major pharmaceutical company
一家很大的制藥公司
was testing a new cancer drug,
正在對一種抗癌新藥做測試
and Post used his friendship
而波斯特利用他與
with the CEO of that company
那家公司CEO的友情
to get himself put into the test group
使自己被放入被測試人群
and to make sure that he got
并確保他得到的是真正的藥物
the actual drug, not the placebo.
而非安慰劑
The rich are different from you and me.
有錢人是與你我不同的
Certainly from you.
當然與你不同
So Post is being sued by another cancer patient
所以,波斯特被同一課題組的
who was in the same study and
另外一名最終得到安慰劑的
who ended up getting the placebo.
癌癥病人起訴
What's the cause of action? What you'd expect?
動機是什么? 你是如何期待的?
Conspiracy, intentional
陰謀
infliction of emotional distress.
故意施加感情上的痛苦
We're going to court today.
我們今天要上法庭了
Today?
今天?
I thought I could handle it myself, but, uh...
我本以為自己處理得了,但是,呃...
Olivia died of cancer, didn't she?
奧利維亞死于癌癥,是么?
Yes.
是的
At any rate, I'm hoping you can secondchair.
無論如何,我希望你能來幫忙
You ready?
你準備好了么?
Daniel Post... Uh, Denise Bauer, attorney,
呃,丹尼斯?鮑爾,律師
Guy dying of cancer.
將要死于癌癥的人
Is that the way you describe me?
你就是這么形容我的?
Rich guy dying of cancer.
將要死于癌癥的有錢人
Denise will be firstchairing. I
丹尼斯將要來幫忙
just filled her in on the case.
我剛讓她也加入這個案子
Actually, you left out our defense. Do we have one?
事實上,你漏掉了被告及其辯護律師,我們有么?
I like her.
我喜歡她
I'm not sure if the jury is
我不確定陪審團
going to like me, Mr. Post.
是否會喜歡我,波斯特先生
I have a client who tried to
我的一個委托人
buy his way into a cancer study.
打算用錢買通讓自己加入一個癌癥研究
Could you tell me what possessed you to do that?
你能告訴我他為什么這樣做么?
I got cancer.
我患有癌癥
Are you really my lawyer?
你真的是我的律師么?
Or did the makeawish
或者是許愿基金會,(美國一協助18歲以下,患絕癥的小孩,實現其最大心愿的非營利組織)
foundation just finally come through?
終于出現了?
Um, Alan? Do you have a minute?
呃,艾倫,你有空么?
What can I do for you, Jerry?
我能為你做點什么,杰里?
They're meeting soon to vote
他們馬上就要開會投票
on this year's partnerships,
選出今年的合伙人關系
and this will be my third time to be up for partner.
而這將是我第三次要考慮找一個合伙人
My last time.
我的最后一次
I see.
我明白
I was wondering if maybe
我想知道,你是否可以
you can tell me where I stand?
給我找個合適的位置?
You know the right people around here, and I know...
你對這里的人員很了解,而我...
well, no one.
一無所知
Jerry, you are an extraordinary attorney.
杰里你是個杰出的律師
I am.
我的確是
I constructed a chart
我建了一張圖表
that reveals my involvement is typically
那上面顯示出,我很顯然是
the key variable in the firm's winning a case.
公司贏得一場官司的關鍵變量
Bingo!
賓果!
It was my research that was the determining factor
我的研究是
in the Simmons vs. Araygo oil
Simmons對Araygo石油那場官司勝利
victory, not to mention 252 other cases.
的決定因素,更不用提其余的252場官司
Because of my research!
都是因為我的研究!
Bingo!
賓果!
But still, I wonder whether the senior
但是,我仍然想知道
partners are aware of my contributions.
資深合伙人是否意識到我的貢獻
Jerry, you know I have a tremendous
杰里你知道
affection for my own intelligence,
我對于自己的才智極其自負
and even I think you are smarter than me.
即使是我,也認為你的智慧遠勝于我
Oh, I am.
哦,的確如此
I'll see what I can find out.
我會考慮的
How long have you worked for Devlin
你為Devlin MacGregor醫藥公司工作多久了
MacGregor pharmaceuticals, Mr. Clark?
Clark先生?
Eight years. And what was your position?
8年,你的職位是什么?
I was a lab technician in oncological protocols.
我是腫瘤系統的實驗室技術員
You worked on a drug to cure cancer?
你在為一種新型抗癌藥物工作?
Trade name is pneumotrox.
商品名為pneumotrox
It was specifically designed to hinder
它是為阻止肺部細胞快速癌變
the rapid cellular mutation in the lungs.
而特別研發的
And did Devlin MacGregor conduct a
那么Devlin MacGregor公司是否進行了雙盲試驗,(臨床試驗中試驗者與受試者,都不知道使用的為何種藥物)
doubleblind study to test pneumotrox?
來檢測pneumotrox這種藥物?
Sort of. Why do you say "sort of," sir?
有那么點兒,為什么你說"有那么點兒" 先生?
The test was corrupted.
試驗過程被腐化了
Objection. Foundation. Overruled.
反對!與本案無關,反對無效
On July 9th of this year you
今年的7月9日
received a call from your supervisor.
你接到了一通主管打來的電話
What did he want?
他想要做什么?
Well, he told me to ensure that patient 1123
他要我確保1123號病人
received the pneumotrox and not the placebo.
得到的是pneumotrox而不是安慰劑
Why? He didn't say,
為什么? 他沒說
but I subsequently discovered
但我后來發現
that patient 1123 is Mr. Post.
1123號病人就是博斯特先生
It seemed fairly obvious.
其用意顯而易見
Objection! Sustained.
反對! 反對有效
What made you come forward?
是什么讓你站出來的?
Doing so has cost you your job, correct?
這樣做讓你丟掉了工作,對么?
It did. Then why?
是的,那為什么?
Because some things are more important than a job.
因為有些事遠比一份工作重要
Mr. Clark, how many patients
Clark先生,這項對比試驗中
were involved in the experiment?
一共包括多少位患者?
Uh, 2,000. And statistically speaking,
呃,2千人,統計學上來講
how would it change the
如果其中一個人
likelihood of one person out of the 2,000
被指定拿到真正的藥
receiving the drug over the placebo
其他2千人拿到安慰劑的幾率
if another person was
會如何變動呢?
directed to get the drug? Not much.
變動不大
Because there was no guarantee that
因為沒有保證
any of the volunteers would receive the actual drug.
任何志愿者能夠拿到真正的藥物
The odds were originally 5050.
最初的幾率是一半一半
The odds would change minimally.
幾率會最低程度的變動
Instead of 5050,
而不再是一半一半
the odds would change from 49.95 to 50.05.
幾率會在49.95%到50.05%間變動
Sounds right.
聽起來沒錯
So virtually no change at all?
那么,本質上沒有任何變化?
If you were dying, miss Bauer,
如果你即將辭世,鮑爾小姐
.05 is everything.
0.05%就是一切
Shirley
雪莉,
I wanted to ask you about Jerry
我想要跟你談談杰里?彭森
Espenson. He's up for partner.
他正打算找一個搭檔
I can't discuss that with you.
我不能跟你討論這件事
Why not?
為什么不能?
Well, that determination is for partners only,
這種決定只有合伙人可以做
and you're not a partner.
而你不是合伙人
I'm sure you understand, Alan.
我肯定你能理解,艾倫
Absolutely.
毫無疑問
Jerry Espenson?
杰里?彭森?
You mean Hands? Not a chance. He's a weirdo.
你是說,“怪手”?很不走運,他是個怪人
Denny, he's not a weirdo, and he
丹尼,他不是一個怪人
doesn't like to be called "Hands."
并且也不喜歡被叫做“怪手”
How could you not? The Hands!
怎么能不這樣叫他,看他的手
A peccadillo to be sure. We all have them.
的確是他的毛病,但是我們每個人都有瑕疵
I don't have any peccadilloes.
我沒有任何瑕疵
What's your name, Denny?
你的姓名,丹尼?
Denny Crane. Ah, yes.
丹尼?克蘭(起重機) 哦,不錯
My point is, Jerry Espenson
我想說的是,杰里?彭森
deserves to be made a partner.
理應成為合伙人
What is that?
那是什么?
Bev bought me a camera phone.
Bev給我買了個照相手機
The woman you enjoyed in the coatroom?
那個和你在衣帽間一起共度美好時光的女人?
We can send each other pictures.
我們可以彼此傳照片
This damn thing takes forever to load.
該死的東西,總是不停的加載
Things going well with Bev then?
那么說和Bev的進展還順利吧?
She said she wanted to fulfill
她說她想實現
every single one of my fantasies.
我的每一個夢想
I made a list. I had to type it myself.
我列了一份清單,但我不得不自己打字
My assistant threatened to quit.
我的助手用辭職來威脅我
Denny, you're glowing.
丹尼,你容光煥發
She's an amazing woman, Al.
她是一個令人驚異的女人,艾倫
It's like having a onenight stand,
這仿佛是一夜情
but every night with the same woman.
不過,夜夜都是相同的女人
I'm thrilled for you, Denny.
我為你感到高興,丹尼
Now, about Jerry... He's not a rainmaker, Alan.
現在,關于,杰里... ,他不是一個善于游說的人,艾倫
Shirley says he's not bringing in enough money.
雪莉說他并沒有帶來足夠多的收益
He's toast, weird toast.
他的土司,奇怪的土司
Would you at least let me have a
那你至少讓我
glance at his performance review then?
看一眼他的工作鑒定
Well, it's highly confidential.
哦,這可是高度機密
Just don't tell anybody where you got it.
千萬不要告訴任何人,你是從哪里得到它的
Oh, picture's finally loaded!
哦,照片終于下載好了!
Look at this.
看看
She's very limber for a woman her age.
就這種年紀的女人而言,她的身體非常柔韌
Alan, I'd like to be alone with my phone.
艾倫我想和我的手機獨處一會
Just, uh, 15 minutes.
只要15分鐘就好
"Poor people skills."
"貧乏的人際交往能力"
Just hands it to you. "Not presentable."
正好由你接管, "不像樣"
That's my Denny. "Not a team player."
那是我的,丹尼 "不是一個團體行動者"
I can see why it's
我終于明白為什么這是個機密了
confidential. It's revolting and mean.
令人厭惡而又平庸
You don't have all the facts, Alan.
你并不了解所有的情況,艾倫
Apparently I do.
很顯然我了解
Apparently at this firm, being
很顯然,在我們公司
white and male isn't even enough.
只是白種男人并不足夠
You also need to be a golden retriever
你還需要成為一只
with a pedigree to be considered for partner.
有血統的金毛獵犬,才會被考慮做合伙人
I'm telling you... It's a wonder
我告訴你,真是令人驚訝
you slipped under the radar, Shirley,
你避過了所有的雷達,雪莉
with your vagina and all.
用你的陰道和其他部位
Jerry's had a few blowups, Alan,
杰里總是大發雷霆,艾倫
one in front of a client. Yes, yes.
甚至有一次是在他的委托人面前,是的,是的
It's on his permanent record back in 2000.
可以在他2000年的永久記錄中找到
It also says he made a
上面還記錄了,他曾令幾個
couple of clients feel awkward.
委托人很難堪
Could that be perhaps because he's an awkward guy?
會不會是因為他本身就是個笨拙的人?
It also says he doesn't play golf.
同時,也記載著,他不喜歡打高爾夫
Actually, he doesn't kiss any ass
事實上,他不拍任何人的馬屁
whatsoever. He just does his job.
只是做好他的工作
And no one's denying that,
那無可否認
but partners need to bring in clients.
但是合伙人必須帶來顧客
That's how we make our money.
我們就是這樣獲得收益的
Partners need to attend social dinners
合伙人需要出席社交宴會
and make public speaking engagements,
要在演講場合曝光
and they need to do it without being...
他們需要這樣做,并且......
Different.
并且不顯得與眾不同
Very dangerous, Shirley.
非常危險,雪莉
Very dangerous.
非常危險
You know how the obituaries always say things like,
你知道,死亡訃告總是如此形容
soandso died after a brave struggle with cancer?
某某人在與癌癥進行了頑強的抗爭之后,不治身亡
I'm not brave.
我不勇敢
I'm terrified.
我很害怕
Cancer can make a coward out of anybody.
癌癥能把任何人變得膽小懦弱
So when you heard about the
所以,當你聽說
trials for this new drug...
這種新藥進行臨床測試.....
I leapt at it.
我欣然接受
I'm not a fool.
我不是白癡
I knew it was a random chance I'd
我知道這是個很偶然的機會
even get the drug and not the placebo.
能讓我吃到真正的藥,而不是安慰劑
Okay, I was willing to leave that to fate.
好吧,聽天由命
He wasn't.
但他不是
Mr. Hopper, when you began the test,
霍珀先生,當你開始參加這個試驗時
did you stop taking chemo or any
你是否停止了化療及
other treatments for your cancer?
其他癌癥治療手段?
No,
沒有停用
but there were other promising tests I
但是,因為Devlin MacGregor
didn't enter because of Devlin MacGregor.
我拒絕參加了另一些很有希望成功的實驗
I see.
我明白了
And did Devlin MacGregor ever guarantee
那么,Devlin MacGregor是否向你承諾
that you would receive the actual drug?
會給你用真正的藥品?
No, they did not.
不,沒有承諾
Isn't it true that you've already
但你不是已經就這個案件對
sued Devlin MacGregor for this
德夫林蓋爾?麥格雷戈提起了訴訟
matter and received a sizable settlement?
并且得到了較合理的處理了么?
Objection. Relevance. I'm going to allow it.
反對,與本案無關,控方請繼續
Yes, but I spent every penny on medical treatments.
是的,我把每一分錢都用在了藥物治療上
But the money isn't the reason I'm doing this.
但我這樣做,并不是為了錢
I'm doing this because I
只是因為
feel I have a moral obligation
我覺得,我有責任,有義務
to stand up to people like Daniel Post.
同丹尼爾?波斯特之類的人抗衡
People like that with money and power,
這些有錢有勢的人
they think they can get away with murder,
總認為自己可以逍遙法外
and now he's murdering me.
而現在,他正在謀殺我
No further questions, your honor.
沒有其他問題了,法官閣下
Court will resume tomorrow at 10 A.M.
明天上午10點開庭
Denise, are you trying to Denise
你正在試圖
make the jury hate our client?
令陪審團討厭我們的委托人么?
If so, you're doing a good job.
如果是這樣的話,你做的非常好
I'm starting not to like me either.
我也開始討厭我自己了
Mr. Post, I...
波斯特先生,我...
Denise, I'm kidding. You're doing an excellent job.
丹尼斯玩笑而已,你的辯護非常棒
I have a few questions. Um...
我有幾個問題要問,呃...
Are you free for a bite?
有時間么?
Um, couldn't you just ask me now?
呃,你現在是在約我么?
Well, yeah, but then it wouldn't be a date.
哦,是的,不過這并不是一次約會
Our client just asked me out to dinner.
我們的委托人剛剛邀請我出去吃飯
Well, good.
哦,很好
Then you can use the time to convince him to settle.
這樣,你也可以利用這段時間來勸他和解
Jerry, it's not looking like a lock.
杰里它看起來并不是那么簡單
What's the problem?
出了什么問題?
Generally, it's poor people skills.
通常,這就是“貧乏的人際交往能力”
You mean I'm odd?
你是說,我是個怪人?
Does it say in my file I'm odd?
在我的檔案里也說我是怪人?
No.
不
Alan, I would appreciate candor here,
艾倫,我很感謝這種坦率
even should you deem it hurtful!
即使你認為這是一種傷害!
According to your file, you've
根據檔案里的記錄
occasioned clients to feel uncomfortable.
你曾經令一些委托人覺得很尷尬
Some have even expressed
甚至,有些人對于與你相處的方式
reservations about being alone with you since...
持保留意見,因為...
Evidently, you also once pushed
顯然,你也曾經在辯論過程中
opposing counsel over some dispute.
把對方辯護律師推到
He made fun of me.
他在嘲笑我
As conditioned as I've
雖然,對于嘲笑奚落
become to ridicule, sometimes...
我已經習以為常,但有時...
so I'm out.
所以,我出局了
It's not over.
還沒有結束
No, I deserve this more than Brad Chase.
是的,我承受的比布拉德?蔡斯多許多
He cuts off a priest's fingers,
他切斷了牧師的手指頭
and I lose out because I push a bully?
可,我卻因為推到了一個壞蛋,而被判出局?
It's not right. It's not over.
這是不對的,還沒結束
Jerry, I give you my word I'll do what I can.
杰里我保證我將竭盡所能來幫助你
Oh, Shirley. I'm sorry.
哦,雪莉,很抱歉
I didn't hear your knock.
我沒有聽到敲門聲
Gee, I wonder why that could be.
天,我想我知道原因
Maybe because you were too
也許是因為你正忙著
busy having sex on your desk?
在桌子上做愛?
How did you know? I had the door closed.
你怎么知道的? 我已經關上門了
Ah, but you neglected to draw all the blinds.
哈,但是你忘記關上百葉窗了
Oversight.
太不小心了
We were both facing the same way.
我們倆面對同樣的狀況
I'm all too horribly aware
你所面臨的狀況
of which way you were facing.
讓我覺得實在是很可怕
Oh, goodness me.
哦,天哪
I am so rude.
我太冒昧了
I'm Beverly Bridge.
我是Beverly Bridge
Shirley Schmidt
雪莉?施密特.
Did you finish the notes on
你已經把那些候選合伙人
the partnership candidates?
的資料準備好了?
I've been busy.
我太忙了
The vote's tomorrow.
明天就要投票了
50 of the most senior partners will be there.
屆時將有50位資深合伙人出席
This is unprofessional, Denny.
這很不專業,丹尼
You are setting a very bad
你給公司里的其他人
example for the rest of the firm.
樹立了一個壞的榜樣
Understood.
明白
And from now on in this office, those blinds go down
從今往后,在這種事情發生之前
before anybody else does.
我一定會拉下辦公室里的百葉窗
She's jealous.
她在嫉妒
Poor thing.
可憐的人兒
Hi, Brad.
嗨,Brad
Hey, Jerry. How's it going?
嘿,杰里,最近怎么樣?
Oh, a little nervous about the partner thing. You?
哦,關于合伙人的事情有些不安,你呢?
I can't say I'm not.
我也很難保持鎮定
Got any indication?
有什么跡象?
Not really.
并沒有
Paul seems to think it looks good, but
保羅似乎認為狀況對我很有利,但是
I certainly didn't help my chances by...
我很顯然沒能抓住機會...
Lewiston? He says it looks good for you?
劉易斯頓他說狀況對你很有利?
Well, he couldn't make any promises.
但他不能做出任何承諾
Did he mention how it looks for me?
那他提到過我么?
No, we didn't really discuss you.
沒有,我們沒有討論你
Do you ever?
你是否曾經提到過我?
I beg your pardon?
什么?
Do people discuss me?
人們是否在議論我?
Do they talk about me being
他們是否因為我的舉止
odd because of my behavior?
就說我是個怪人?
Jerry, everyone here knows you to be a fine lawyer.
杰里這里的每個人,都知道你是個非常優秀的律師
That's all I've ever heard discussed.
這就是我所聽到的全部議論
It's in my file that I'm violent
但就因為我曾經把另一個律師推到了
because I pushed another lawyer once.
于是在檔案里,我被寫成一個激進的人
How do you know what's in your file?
你怎么知道,你的檔案里記錄了什么?
I have a mole.
我有一個長期潛伏的間諜
Right here on my neck.
在這,就在我的脖子上面
It's not like me to make a joke.
講笑話,這一點都不像我
I hope it's in my file I'm funny.
但我希望,在檔案里能寫上我很幽默
That's a good social skill.
那是一項很棒的社交技能
Given the evidence, a
現在有充足的證詞,可靠的證人
credible witness and documented proof
及可信的證據來表明
that you were administered the
你服用的是真實的藥物
actual drug and not a placebo...
而不是安慰劑...
Question. Go.
提問,請說
When do you see yourself liking me?
你是什么時候發現自己喜歡上我的?
Um, Mr. Post, Daniel, um,
呃,波斯特先生,我是說丹尼爾,呃...
plaintiff's attorney has been very
原告方律師已經
effective in turning the jury against you.
非常成功的令陪審團針對你
You come off as someone of
你已經成為了一個
privilege who has everything
擁有一切陪審團想要,卻無法企及
the jury wants but doesn't have.
的特權的人
Except the girl.
除了女人
Bottom line, it's in your best interest to settle.
底線是,你愿意和解
How about we negotiate a settlement?
你來開個價錢如何?
I'm not following.
我不跟
I agree to settle the case
如果你能停止討論案情
if you agree to stop talking about
并且承認這是一次正式的約會的話
it and declare this an official date.
我愿意和解
Have you ever done anything nice for anybody, ever?
你曾經幫助過其他的人么,哪怕一次?
Bum, bum, bum. See, you're
呃...
trying to get a look under the hood.
看,你正窺探隱私
Not until you agree.
除非你答應我的建議
Agreed. The answer is yes,
我投降(我同意了) 答案是肯定的
but my mom taught me that it's
但是,我的母親告訴我
impolite to brag about one's good works.
吹噓自己的善舉是非常無禮的
Then don't brag. Tell.
那就實話實說,講吧
What's to say?
說點什么呢?
Um, my company sent thousands of
嗯,我的公司耗巨資
pounds of supplies down to New Orleans
用以援助新奧爾良
before FEMA even put its pants on.
而此時,在FEMA(聯邦應急管理局)人員,還沒來得及穿上褲子呢
I fund a charter school for
在波士頓南部,我為智障兒童
learningdisabled kids here in south Boston.
資助了一間學校
I don't think the government
我認為政府
does enough to help its people so,
并沒有給予他們足夠的幫助
I give as much as I can.
所以,我盡我所能
Do you know why I can do that?
你知道,我為什么這樣做么?
Because you're a rich guy
因為你是一個
who throws his weight around.
四處炫耀權勢,仗勢欺人的有錢人
It goes handinhand. Money gives me connections.
它漸漸走向聯合,金錢為我建立了一種聯系
Connections let me do what I want, get what I want.
而這種聯系可以隨意做,任何我想做的事,輕易得到任何我想要的東西
You really don't care what anybody thinks, do you?
你根本就不關心別人是怎么想的,不是么?
I got stage4 lung cancer.
我患了4級肺癌
I don't give a damn what
所以,我根本無不在意
anybody I don't know thinks about me.
其他人對我的看法
Life's too short, really.
生命短暫,真的
One more question.
再多問一個問題
Why are you really settling?
你為什么想要和解?
Did Mr. Hopper's testimony get to you?
是Hopper先生的證詞影響了你么?
It did.
的確是
But don't get me wrong. I, I...
但不要誤會,我,我...
I would do it again.
如果重來,我依然會這樣做
It was a chance.
這是一個機會
So I took it, and, uh,
所以,我抓住了這個機會,然后,呃
as it turned out, the pneumotrox
結果證明,pneumotrox
didn't work as well as I'd imagined so...
并沒有如我所愿的發揮作用
given that I have less time than I'd hoped,
假如,我活得時間不多了
I don't intend to waste
我不想把余下不多的時間
that time fighting a lawsuit,
浪費在一場官司里
so I'll settle.
所以,我將和解
Now, more wine?
那么,再來點葡萄酒?
You look distressed.
你看起來很沮喪
Your "Guns & ammo" magazine late again?
你的"槍與軍火"雜志又晚來了?
She hasn't called all day.
她一整天都沒有給我打過電話
Ah, Bev. It's nearly 4.
哈,Bev ,將近4個小時了
She hasn't called the office.
她沒往辦公室打電話
She hasn't called my cell phone.
她也沒打我的手機
I checked the machine at home at 9:15, 9:30, 9:45.
我在9:15檢查了一次手機,在9:30 9:45又檢查了兩次
Okay, I sense a pattern.
好的,我察覺到了點什么
I've done something.
我一定做錯了什么事情
I bought her a gift.
我給她買了份禮物
I bought her a gift!
我竟然給她買了禮物!
Well, in time, I'm sure she'll forgive you.
隨著時光流逝,我相信她一定會原諒你的
Don't you see? I didn't, I didn't
你難道還不明白?我沒有,我沒有
give her money like I do most women.
像對待其他女人一樣,付給她錢
I didn't have a personal
我沒有讓我的私人購物助理去選禮物
shopper pick something out. I shopped.
而是我親自去買的
And I, Denny Crane...
并且我,丹尼?克蘭
thought about what she would like.
一直在考慮,她會喜歡什么
Maybe I'm, I'm having a stroke.
也許,我,我中風了
Maybe it's the mad cow. Maybe you're in love.
也許我得了瘋牛病,也許你墜入愛河了
I am delirious with joy.
我一定是被這種喜悅的感覺,弄得神志不清了
Denny, you enjoy being with
丹尼你和Bev在一起的時候,你很愉快
Bev. She enjoys being with you.
她也很愉快
Why don't you just have fun in the moment
你為什么不盡情享受這種快樂
and leave it at that?
然后,到此為止?
I knew you wouldn't
我就知道你根本不明白
understand, you heartless bastard.
你就是個無情的蠢貨
Wow, he's got it bad.
哇,他的情況不妙啊
You shouldn't eavesdrop.
你不應該偷聽
Yes, he does, very.
是的,非常糟糕
You wanted me to tell you when
你想要我告訴你
that partnership voting thing was?
合伙人投票會議什么時候開始么?
It starts in 20 minutes.
20分鐘后
And now we turn our attention to
現在,讓我們關注
our next candidate, Brad Chase.
下一位候選者,Brad Chase
Excuse me. Uh, sorry to interrupt.
不好意思,嗯,打斷一下
I have an urgent announcement to
我有一個關于國家安全
make regarding national security.
的緊急提議
I don't think our country is being run very well.
我認為,我們國家的運轉出現了問題
That concludes the national security announcement.
這便導致了國家安全法案的締結
Now onto other business,
另一方面
I'm looking at a group of
我所看到的是一群
partners in a worldclass law firm,
在世界一流的律師事務所的合伙人
each of whom owes some of
他們每個人的成就
their success to Jerry Espenson.
都應該或多或少歸功于杰里?彭森
When any of you is stumped,
當你們任何人遇到困難
and you need someone who has an
需要某些
encyclopedic knowledge of the law
對法律的淵博知識
and the creative spark to know how to apply it,
并且知道怎樣創造性的應對這些困難的人
whose door do you knock on?
你會去向誰求助?
Mr. Shore, we appreciate your
Shore先生,我們欣賞你的做法
input, but you are not a partner.
但你不是一個合伙人
Yes, but that's only because I can't be trusted.
沒錯,但那只是因為我不能被信任
I have here the
我這里有
confidential report on Jerry Espenson,
關于杰里?彭森的機密報告
known to some of you who
你知道,是你們中的一些更需要了解的
should know better as "Hands."
"怪手"的另一面
Uh, this report, while acknowledging
呃,關于這個報告,我們既然已經知道
that Jerry works very hard
杰里工作非常努力
and has an astute legal mind,
并且具有敏銳的法律頭腦
also makes some veiled
也產生了一些隱晦的
references to "inappropriate behavior,"
“不適當的行為”
but really, this is about money, isn't it?
說真的,這都是為了錢,不是么?
And whether Jerry Espenson brings in enough.
還有杰里?彭森,賺的是否夠多
And don't we all just love our money?
我們都愛錢,不對么?
You people must realize that once the rainmakers
你們應當意識到一旦這些能夠呼風喚雨的人
have brought in the milliondollar accounts,
帶來了百萬美圓的帳戶
those clients expect excellent
那些客戶都希望有個優秀的代表
representation for their money,
來為他們的錢負責
and jerry is a big part of what they're paying for.
杰里無疑是最值得他們信賴的人選
My god, why isn't being brilliant enough?
我的上帝,為什么這樣還不夠杰出?
Why can't a lawyer be a valuable asset to this firm
為什么一個律師不能成為這家公司有價值的資產
without being a smiling Ken
而不是一個像肯娃娃(芭比娃娃的男朋友)
Doll with an aggressive handshake?
一樣的笑面虎?
Does everyone at the firm have to be this guy?
這公司的所有人都象這家伙一樣嗎?
Mr. Shore, you have no standing at this meeting.
肖爾先生,您已經不受會議的歡迎
We would like to ask you to leave, please, now.
我們希望你現在就離開
Jerry Espenson has given 15
杰里?彭森已經在這家公司貢獻了
years of his life to this firm.
15年的時間
His work has been essential.
他的工作很關鍵
How dare you invade the province
你怎么敢闖進這樣一個
of a private partnership meeting?
私人的合伙人會議?
I'm sorry. I didn't think an
抱歉,我不覺得
invitation was forthcoming.
會有人邀請我
There's a lot you don't know about the
法律行業中
business of running a law practice, Alan,
有很多規則是你不懂的,艾倫
The first rule being... It's a business.
第一條... 這是在做生意
I understand that, Shirley,
我懂,雪莉
but it's a service business.
但這是一個服務的行業
You don't peddle widgets. You don't push stocks.
你不是在叫賣雜物,你也不是在炒股
You sell your people, and as far your
你是在賣你的人才,而且一旦你的人走了
people go, I'll take Jerry Espenson over...
我將取代杰里?彭森...
Don't give me... Well, you need to hear it!
不要說了... 事實上你需要聽這些!
I said nothing when you fired Sally Heep,
當你炒掉Sally Heep時我什么也沒說
whose only infraction was to sleep with me.
她唯一的罪狀就是和我睡覺
I made not a peep when you deftly
當你輕車熟路的把Lori Colson趕出公司時
ushered Lori Colson out of the firm.
我也裝做沒看見
I even understood when you fired Catherine Piper,
我甚至理解你解雇卡瑟琳?派珀
a woman I profoundly adore.
一個我深深敬仰的女人
I swallowed all of it,
這些我都忍了
because I know it's a business.
因為我知道這是在做生意
But to abuse a talented, selfless employee,
但是虐待一個天才并且無私的雇員
only because his social skills lack polish,
只是因為他缺乏社交經驗
to allow him to work tirelessly under
讓他不知疲倦的工作而且
the delusion that he could make partner,
錯誤的以為他能找到合作伙伴
a delusion you carefully nurtured,
這是你給他造成的錯覺
so as to make piles of
這樣短期內從他身上
money off him in the shortterm,
獲得大量的錢
that's a betrayal, Shirley, not just of Jerry,
那是種出賣,雪莉,不只是因為杰里
but of you and your character,
而且關乎你
which up till now I have
和你那至今為止都讓我
considered undeniably decent!
覺得端莊正派的人格!
Are you finished? No.
你說完了? 還沒有
Jerry Espenson no doubt will go off
杰里?彭森無疑會
quietly into the night, as the meek often do,
靜靜的隱沒于夜色,就像開會時經常做的那樣
but somebody around here has to get angry about it.
但這兒的某些人應該為此感到氣憤
Otherwise, you'll just go
否則你將離開
off and blithely do it again.
離開并且在高興的做一遍
We have not yet made a
關于杰里?彭森
decision concerning Jerry Espenson.
我們還沒有作出決定
When we do, I will call you first to
當我們有結果時,我會第一個告訴你
tell you it is none of your concern.
這用不著你操心
There's a saying, Shirley. Perhaps you've heard it.
有句俗語,雪莉,你應該聽過
All it takes for evil to
所有邪惡能夠得逞的原因
succeed is for good people to say,
是善良的人說
"It's a business."
"這是在做生意"
I've been given a death sentence.
我已經被宣判死罪
And you're the one person in this
而你是這個房間里
room that knows exactly what that's like.
唯一確切明白這意味著什么的人
And there was this drug, and
本來還有藥
I thought it could help me,
我原以為它會對我有幫助
so I used all my power and my
所有我用盡全力
influence to make sure that I got it.
來確保能夠得到了它
But I didn't think it through,
但我沒有想過
and I didn't think that there
也沒有考慮到
might be consequences for other people,
對其他人而言的重要性
in this case for you.
在這件事上
And I see now that I hurt you...
我現在發現我傷害了你...
And I am sorry.
我很抱歉
This is our offer.
這是我們的出價
It's the only one we're going to make,
我們僅能做到這些
and it expires when we walk out the door.
并且當我們走出這扇門后即刻失效
This is a very generous
這是個非??犊某鰞r
offer. Think about your family.
想想你的家人
I don't care.
我不在乎
This could be a very long and drawn out...
那將會非常漫長...
That's exactly what it should be.
它就應該那樣
What do you want?
你想怎么樣?
If I take your money, I won't be hurting you.
如果我拿了你的錢我不會傷害你
The only thing that will really hurt you now
現在唯一能傷害到你的就是
is if I take your time,
占用你的時間
and that's exactly what I'm going to do.
那就是我想做的
I need to talk to you.
我得和你談談
You'll talk to me. No, I won't.
你會的,不我不會
You have a wife. You have a family.
你有妻子,有家庭
You owe something to them, but
你需要對他們負責
you also owe something to yourself.
而你也需要對自己做點什么
I know this road.
我理解你的心情
Do not allow anger to
不要讓憤怒
consume the last days of your life.
浪費你生命中最后的時光
Bev Bev. Yes, Denny Crane?
怎么了,丹尼?克蘭?
Would you like some...
你想要些...
money?
錢么?
I, I, I don't...
我,我,我不需要...
Bev, I'm afraid. Bev
我怕...
Of? Myself, of course.
怕什么? 我自己,當然
As godlike as I seem to you and other people,
你和其他人都覺得我特別莊嚴
there's a, there's a...
但在這...
a mortal inside this godlike shell.
莊嚴背的外殼下面有一顆平凡人的心
I don't trust myself.
我信不過我自己
Bottom line...
底線是...
I'm not a onewoman man.
我不會只和一個女人過日子
You know, Denny.
你知道嗎,丹尼
We're both much too old for
在這件事上我們都太老了
this and too smart. We are?
而且都太過聰明,是嗎?
Is there a powerful man out there
和你一樣有權有勢的男人
who hasn't felt what you're feeling?
有哪個會不受這樣的煩惱困擾么?
No.
沒有
So why fight it?
那為什么還要抗爭?
Look, people don't change their
聽著,人們都不愿意改變本性
stripes, and you don't want me to change you,
你也不希望我改變你
and I certainly don't want you to change me.
我當然也不想讓你改變我
Therefore, Denny Crane,
既然如此,丹尼?克蘭
as long as we're together,
只要我們在一起
feel free to have sex with anyone else you want.
你就可以隨意和任何你想要的人做愛
Bev!
Bev!
I love you.
我愛你
Brad
布拉德.
It was a very close vote but...
選票非常接近,但是...
You made it.
你成功了
You are now officially a full
你已經正式成為
partner at Crane, Poole & Schmidt.
Crane Poole & Schmidt公司的合伙人
Congratulations. Thank you, Paul.
恭喜,謝謝,保羅
I will not let you down.
我不會讓你失望的
Brad, on your knees. What?
跪下,布拉德,什么?
Denny, must we do this every single time?
丹尼,我們一定要每次都這樣嗎?
My name on the door. The answer would be "yes."
只要門上還有我的名字,答案就是肯定的
On your knees.
跪下
Brad Chase Brad Chase, I hereby dub thee Brad Chase.
我將此榮譽授予你,布拉德?蔡斯
Welcome, partner.
歡迎加入,合伙人
Thank you.
感謝您
Milord?
皇帝陛下?
You wanted to see me, Shirley?
你想見我是么,雪莉?
Yes, Jerry. Out of courtesy, I'll be brief.
是的,杰里,我會說得簡明扼要
I'm very sorry, but you won't be making partner.
很抱歉,但合伙人不是你
But I've done everything I've been asked.
但我做了需要我做的所有事情
Your work here is
你做了大量的工作
considerable. It's just not enough.
但這還不夠
Not enough?
不夠?
I won't lead you on. There will be no
我不會與你合作
further opportunities for partnership.
沒有進一步合作的機會了
However, we certainly appreciate all your hard work,
但是當然,我們很感激你的努力工作
and we welcome you to stay of counsel.
我們歡迎你作為辯護律師留下
The choice is yours.
選擇權在你
Okay.
好吧
You free for dinner?
晚餐有時間嗎?
Because I got a private chef
因為我有個私人廚師
that makes a mean breakfast in bed.
做菜很糟糕
You see where I'm going with this.
你知道我指什么
A friend of mine just made partner, so
我的一個朋友剛成為合伙人
we're gonna celebrate, you know, cake.
我們要慶祝,你知道的,來點蛋糕什么的
Rain check? Sure, sure thing.
能延期么? 當然,當然沒問題
I got nothing but time.
除了時間我什么也沒有
Oh, wait, you know, that's not true.
哦,等等,那不是真的
Mr. Lewiston tried to impress upon me
劉易斯頓先生試圖感化我
that I not consume the rest of my life with anger.
不要在憤怒中度過余生
But the truth is, anger can satisfy,
但實際上,當絕望已經如此空虛時
while despair is rather empty.
憤怒也能令人滿足
You don't seem very satisfied.
你看上去很不滿足
This isn't simply about vengeance, Mr. Post.
那只是復仇,波斯特先生
If you were the only one out
如果你是唯一一個
there corrupting medical testing,
破壞了醫療檢查的人
perhaps I'd take your money or if not, your apology.
可能我會收下你的錢,或是你的道歉
But there are others like you.
但是有其他人象你一樣
Maybe this will send a message.
或許這件事能留下些信息
Maybe that will be the final legacy of my anger.
可能這是我憤怒的最后遺產
Guy acts like he's the only one dying around here.
好象這只有他自己要死去
About that dinner...
關于那個晚餐...
It's not enough.
那不夠
It's not enough. Where is my coffee mug?
那不夠,我的咖啡杯呢?
Surprise!
驚喜!
Oh, no!
哦,不!
Look at that!
快看
It's not enough!
那不夠!
It's not enough!
那不夠!
It's not enough!
那不夠!
My initials on the briefcase? Nice touch.
我名字縮寫在公文包上,不錯
Jerry
杰里.
Why don't you come on in, have a piece of cake?
你為什么不進來吃塊蛋糕?
Here, I'll get it for you. No, I can do it.
我來給你,不,我自己能來
Okay.
好吧
How's that, Shirley?
怎樣,雪莉?
Is that enough?
夠嗎?
How about that?
怎么樣?
Is that enough?
夠嗎?
Is that?
夠嗎?
Look, Hands. I mean, Jerry.
聽著,“怪手”我是說,杰里
Everybody, stand back! I'll kill her!
所有人后退! 我要殺了她!
I swear, I will kill her!
我發誓我要殺了她!
I want to be made partner.
我想成為合伙人
I'm gonna draw up an agreement,
我要草擬一份協定
and you're gonna sign it, Shirley.
你要在上面簽字,雪莉
I'll include a hold
我要在里面包括一個
harmless clause for this assault.
這次攻擊無罪的條款
But this is a crime.
但這是犯罪
Hold harmless clauses are for
無罪條款是為了
insurance and real estate, not for crimes.
保險和房產,不是因為犯罪
Don't say "crime." We're just talking here.
不要說犯罪,我們只是在談話
It certainly won't cover attempted murder.
這當然夠不成謀殺
Don't say "murder.
不要說謀殺
You, substandard first year.
你!不合格的新人
Go pull the criminal law treatise
去讀一下《美國法律報告》22期
at 22 ALR, 3rd 1228, reference cases
第三部分12至28頁那篇犯罪法律的論文
that hold extreme emotional conditions
其中有提到這樣的案例
diminish one's responsibility for a crime.
在犯罪過程中極度的情緒失控,會降低人的責任感
You!
你!
What do you think you're doing?
你知道你在干什么嗎?
You gonna get one of your guns?
你要去拿你的槍?
No, why would I do that?
不,我為什么要那樣做?
The one day I don't bring my sock holster.
我不帶手槍套的一天
You, substandard partner,
你,不合格的合伙人
get me Rosenberg vs. Kaplan, 273 mass. 411.
給我去看Rosenberg對Kaplan 273期全文,411頁
The facts of a case can be
這件事可以
construed to uphold an employment contract
理解為支持一個雇傭合同
even though it's entered into under duress.
即使它是被迫的
You!
你!
Hot secretary that makes me nervous,
性感秘書,讓我緊張
get me a copy of the firm's partnership agreement
給我一份公司合伙人的協議書
and prepare to make some changes.
并且準備做些改變
Jerry, this is never gonna work.
杰里這樣行不通
Pipe down!
放下!
Don't stand. Go!
別站那,走!
Get my guns!
拿我的槍!
I'm calling the police. Which guns should I get?
我要報警,我要拿哪把槍?
No guns! Just look up the damn cases.
沒有槍,去看看那些該死的案例
"Subsection I, upon his or her motion,"
"分段,我在考慮到他(她)的情況下"
"a named partner may unilaterally reconsider"
"一個指定的合伙人可以,單方面重新審議"
"the rejection of a senior
"拒絕資深人員
associate for partnership."
成為合伙人"
Did you get all that?
你都寫上去了嗎?
Yes, Jerry.
是的,杰里
Please type it up.
把它打上去
Clacketyclack!
噼里啪啦!
What's going on?
發生什么了?
Hands went nuts.
“怪手”瘋了
I found the cases you wanted.
我找到了你要的案例
They're excellent.
它們非常精彩
Thank you.
謝謝
Jerry
杰里.
What are you doing?
你在干什么?
Taking matters into my own hands.
靠我自己的怪手把事情搞定
That's right, people, I said "Hands."
沒錯,我說,"怪手"
See, I can be just as funny as you jokesters.
聽著,我也能如此風趣
Why aren't you all laughing?
為什么你們都不笑?
Don't do this, Jerry, please.
別這么做,杰里,拜托
Stop now before this gets too out of hand...
在事情失控之前...
control.
現在就停下來
I will help you.
我會幫你的
Like you did with the partnership?
就象你在選合伙人時做的那樣?
You don't want to throw away
你不想因為
an entire life's worth of
你的一時沖動
work over one emotional outburst.
拋棄你一生的事業吧
I don't want to see the most gifted legal mind
我不希望看到我認為擁有,最杰出的法律頭腦的人
I have ever encountered rotting in a prison cell.
去進監獄
Now put down the knife, Jerry.
把刀放下,杰里
On one condition.
有一個條件
You represent me once I'm arrested.
我被捕后你要做我的律師
I can't. That's a conflict of interest.
我不能,那有利益沖突
I don't care.
我不管
You know the firm can waive that conflict,
你知道公司能放棄那些沖突
and I know that you'll honor that waiver,
我知道你會樂于放棄的
because if nothing else, you're a man of your word.
因為你是個守信用的人
Make the deal. I'll represent you.
快同意,我會幫你
Now hand me the knife.
給我刀
Oh, everyone.
哦,所有人
This is the cake I want for my birthday.
這是我生日想要的蛋糕
This is really good work.
做的的確很好
I assume it's clear to you now
現在我想大家明白了
why we couldn't make Jerry partner.
為什么杰里不能成為合伙人
I have to be with my client.
我得去找我的委托人了
Well, there's, um, not much to tell, really.
哦,那沒什么好說的了
We were married for ten years and in love for,
我們結婚10年
well, probably half that.
相愛了或許...5年
Well, it's probably hard loving a golf bum.
愛上一個高爾夫迷一定很艱難
Do you want to hear something really awful?
你想聽些真正糟糕的事么?
When we first got married,
我們剛結婚時
I knew deep down that he would
我就深刻的了解到
never amount to anything and,
他一文不值
somehow I was okay with that.
不知何故,我根本不計較這些
So what are your plans now? You, um, dating?
那你現在有什么打算?你,呃...約會嗎?
Occasionally.
偶爾約個會
Actually, not at all.
事實上,根本沒有
Little problem with commitment, huh?
對承諾產生了懷疑,是吧?
I know the feeling.
我了解這種感覺
Um, I'm not looking for a
呃,我也不想要找什么
longterm relationship either.
長期固定的關系
What I don't understand is how
我不明白的是
he got his hands from the cake
他是如何這么迅速的
to Shirley's neck so quickly.
把手從蛋糕那里移到雪莉的脖子上
You know, Denny, I can't
你知道,丹尼 ,事實上
actually talk about this with you
我現在不能和你談論這些
now that Jerry's my client.
現在杰里是我的委托人了
You aren't really gonna represent him, are you?
你不會真的打算代他出庭吧?
I gave him my word.
我向他保證過
Oh, please. We're lawyers.
哦,算了吧,我們是律師
He's a whack job.
他是個爛攤子
By the way, uh, did I tell you?
順便說一句,我沒告訴你么?
Bev and I are getting married.
Bev和我要結婚了
No.
沒有
I would have remembered that.
如果說過的話我會記得的
Yeah. Well...
沒錯,呃...
she's the one.
她就是我的真命天女
Yes. She seems like the one.
是啊,她看起來的確合適
Congratulations, Denny.
恭喜你,丹尼
I want to assure you
我要向你保證
that my impending nuptials
迫近的婚禮
won't change anying between us.
不會改變我們之間的關系
No impact whatsoever.
沒有任何沖突
I gotta go.
我得走了
We're registering for flatware.
我們要去注冊一下各自的東西