I got a new bike when we moved.
我們搬來的時候,我得到一輛新自行車
Now, before 13-year-olds started driving Bentleys,
現在, 不到13歲就有人開Bentleys,
a new bike was pretty impressive.
那會兒一輛新自行車也能掙不少面
My last bike had gotten stolen,
從我丟了一輛車開始,
so my father had one rule.
我爸就立下了一個規矩
Don't let nobody ride it.
不要讓任何人騎
My mother had one rule, too.
我媽也立了一條
Chris, you can only ride
Chris,從這騎到巷尾
from this end of the block to that end of the block.
再從巷尾騎回來
Sometimes, I could only ride in a circle in front of the house.
有時,我只能在家門口前畫圈騎
There were hundreds of kids on my block,
我家這條街上有幾百個孩子
but only four fathers.
可只有四個爹
There was Mr. Jenkins.
這是Jenkins先生
He had all girls, so he was always screaming.
他家全是女孩,弄得他總要叫喚
Hey! Hey!
嘿!嘿!
You boys get away from my daughter.
你們這些小子離我女兒遠點
Mr. Parrish's wife cheated on him,
Parrish先生的老婆曾紅杏出墻
so he was always checking
所以他總在留意
to see if his kids looked like him.
他的孩子長得像不像他
He was the first man in Bed-Stuy to get a DNA test.
他是Bed-Stuy第一個做親子鑒定的人
Mr. Hutchins had two grandsons who wouldn抰 move out.
Hutchins先生有兩個賴在他家不走的孫子
They're holding out like, "Last one dies get's the apartment."
他們聲稱"最后一個扛著的人得到這個公寓"
And there's my dad, Julius. Morning, Julius!
還有一個就是我爹了, Julius. 早, Julius!
Because unemployment was so high,
由于失業人口巨多,
the dads all knew each other,
使所有爸爸們都相互認識,
'cause they were the only men going to work in the morning.
因為他們是家里唯一工作的人.
Between these four dads, they had 16 jobs
這四個老爹,共有16份工作
and worked 492 hours a week!
并且一周工作492個小時!
Bed-Stuy wasn't the best neighborhood in Brooklyn,
Bed-Stuy不是布魯克林最好的社區,
but it wasn't quite as bad as people thought.
但也不像人們想的那么差
You say, "Bed-Stuy," and people think this:
你提到"Bed-Stuy,"別人就認為:
But it was a pretty regular place.
這只是個一般般的地方
Mail got delivered.
能通郵
People ran businesses.
大人可以做生意
Kids played in the street.
小孩能在街上玩
My problem was, since I didn't go to school
我的問題是,自從我
in the neighborhood,
不在社區里上學
the thugs didn't know me,
那些強盜就不認得我
so they would rob me almost every single day.
所以他們幾乎每一天都打劫我
Yo, yo, yo, little man.
嘿,嘿,嘿,小子
You live around here?
你住這附近?
I live right down there.
我就住那
I could tell him where I lived,
我本想告訴他們我住哪,
but then he might break in my house.
但是沒準他們會抄了我的家
Man, what school you go to?
小子,你上的哪所學校?
Corleone Junior High.
Corleone學校
Corleone?
Corleone?
You ever heard of that? No.
你聽說過嗎? 沒
Y'all ever heard of Corleone Junior High?
你們都聽說過Corleone學校嗎?
These fools never heard of Yale!
那些白癡連耶魯都沒聽說過!
Hey, man, we ain't never heard of that.
嘿,小子,我們沒人聽說過
So, uh...
所以,呃...
why don't you let me hold a dollar?
讓我拿一美元
In case you didn't know, when a criminal says,
事先聲明一下,當壞蛋說
"Let me hold something,"
"讓我拿某些東西,"
that means you're never getting it back.
那就意味著你別想再拿回來
Let me hold your cash register.
把收銀機拿來
Thank you.
謝謝
It could have been worse.
還可以更糟的
I could have been going to pay the light bill.
我說不定會替他們交電費
Nothing could stop my father from working
沒什么事能阻止我爸上班
unless work stopped working.
除非老板不再上班了
Duckers are on strike today over dangerous conditions
卡車司機今天罷工是因為 在危險的條件下工作
brought about what they call "lack of adequate signage."
聽聽他們怎么說 "缺少適當的警示標志"
Apparently, a driver was injured in an explosion
顯然,司機在爆炸時受傷了
caused when gasoline fumes were ignited as he filled his tank.
因為在他給坦克灌油時, 汽油被點燃了
I can't believe this!
難以置信!
What's wrong?
怎么了?
I'm on strike.
我罷工了
What happened?
到底怎么了?
They say we're in dangerous conditions,
他們說我們的工作環境太危險了,
and they got to put warning signs on the truck,
并且他們要求在卡車上放警告標志,
'cause some guy got in an accident.
因為某人出了意外
It was a little more than an accident.
這可不是小意外.
Well, how long do you think this is gonna last?
那你覺得這能持續多久?
I don't know, but I can't be out of work right now.
我不知道,我只知道我現在 不能去上班了
I'm trying to put some extra money down on the heat bill.
我正準備把多余的錢付供暖費呢
Plus, the kids need new winter coats.
另外,孩子們也需要一些新冬裝了
Well, Chris could wear Drew's old coat.
嗯,Chris可以穿Drew的舊外套
And Tanya will be okay.
Tanya不買也沒事
Her sleeves might be a little short, but we'll just
它的袖子可能短了一點
buy her longer gloves.
我們給她買個長手套就行了
Fool don't know better than to light fire around gas,
傻子都知道不能在汽油周圍點火,
and now I'm all messed up.
現在害得我們一團糟
Baby, don't worry, I can just go down
寶貝,別擔心,我星期一
to the temp agency on Monday and get a job.
可以去找個臨時工作
They like me.
他們喜歡我
My mother was pretty good with people when she wanted to be,
只要我媽想,她就能和人們相處的很好
so she never had any problem getting a job.
所以她從不愁找不到工作
Oh, you can stick it!
哦,你忍受一個試試!
I told you not to call my old job.
我跟你說反正不干了!
You trying to get that secretary job?
你想做秘書嗎?
Girl, I like your shoes.
小妞,我喜歡你的鞋
Rochelle.
Rochelle.
Hi. Nice to meet you.
嗨.很高興認識你
Whoa, whoa! Whoa, whoa, whoa.
喔, 喔! 喔,喔,喔
Yo, little man, let me hold a dollar.
你, 小子,讓我拿一美元
I don't have any money.
我一分錢都沒有
So what you got, then?
那你有什么吧?
Nothing!
什么都沒有!
I stopped carrying stuff, 'cause every time I come by here,
我什么都不帶身上了,因為我每次來這,
you ask me where I live.
你都問我住哪兒,
I say, "Right down there," and then you rob me anyway.
我說, "就住那",可你還照打劫不誤
You live around here?
你住這附近?
Yeah, right down there.
嗯,就住那兒
That's a nice bike.
這車不錯
Look at that. Yeah.
看那兒.耶.
That's new? Yeah.
新的嗎? 嗯.