I'm glad we moved to the country when you retired, dear.
真高興在你退休后我們搬到了鄉村來居住,親愛的。
Yes. Much more peaceful.
是啊,這里安靜多了。
If we'd still been in London, we'd probably have been bombed out by now.
如果我們還在倫敦生活的話,很有可能遭到轟炸。
Yes. Unless we'd been evacuated.
是啊。至少也得被疏散。
Oh, that was only children. And women too, of course.
噢,只有兒童才會被疏散,當然,還有婦女。
I'd have been requisitioned for essential war work.
我可能會被征用去制造軍需品。
But you're far too old.
但是你已經太老了啊。
You're retired.
你都退休了。
Yes, but all age groups are pressed into emergency service
是這樣,但是所有年齡段的人在緊急情況下都必須奮起
during times of national emergency, dear.
在國家遭遇危機時,親愛的。
I'd have been an air-raid warden.
我曾擔任過小區防空襲的管理員,
Or a stretcher bearer for the Red Cross...
還有紅十字會的擔架工..
and St John's Ambulance Brigade, or a fireman in the docks. ..
加入圣約翰急救隊,以及碼頭消防員。
Jerry up above, fire bombs raining down.
德國兵開著飛機在上方盤旋,燃燒彈像雨一樣密集落下。
Up the turntable ladder.
順著圓形樓梯上去。
Carrying women to safety.
把婦女們護送到安全區。
Trust you to think of that, James.
我相信你說的那些,James。
I wish we had neighbours.
我真希望我們有鄰居啊。
I'd like to ask someone what's going on.
就可以問問他們,事情發展得怎么樣了。
Well, I warned you, dear.
哦,我得警告你,親愛的。
"This cottage is a bit isolated," I said.
“這幢小屋有點像是被隔離的,”我說過。