詞匯精講:
Blackmail
Exp. use of threats to influence a person or group
用威脅來左右別人
Eg. Increase productivity or lose your jobs. That'sblackmail
你們要提高生產率,不然就把你們解雇!這是要挾!
Usage:~ sb (into doing sth)
Exp. force sb to do sth by blackmail
要挾某人做某事
Eg. He wasblackmailedby an enemy agent into passing on state secrets.
敵特威脅他要他交出國家機密。
Eg. The strikers refused tobe blackmailed intoreturning to work.
罷工者拒絕了要挾復工的條件。
Grovel
Usage:~ (to sb) (for sth)
Exp. behave with a show of humility or shame
帶著謙卑或羞愧的樣子行事
Eg. You will just have togrovelto the bank manager for a loan.
你只得低聲下氣地向銀行經理借貸。
Eg. Those who wished a favour of the emperor had togrovelon hands and knees before him.
凡希望受到皇帝恩寵的人都要拜倒在他面前。
Affect
Exp. have an influence on (sb/sth); produce an effect on 影響
Eg. The tax increases haveaffected us all.
加稅已經影響了我們大家。
Eg. The change in climate mayaffect your health.
氣候的變化可能影響你的健康、
Eg. Their opinion will notaffect my decision.
他們的意見不會影響我的決定。
Insult
Exp. speak or act in a way that hurts or is intended to hurt the feelings or dignity of (sb); be extremely rude to (sb) 侮辱; 辱罵; 侮慢
Eg. Ifeltmostinsultedwhen they made me sit at a little table at the back.
他們讓我坐到盡里頭的一張小桌旁, 我覺得受到極大侮辱。
Eg. Shehurled insults atthe unfortunate waiter.
她大罵那個倒霉的服務員。
Eg. Don'ttake it as an insultif I go to sleep during your speech; I'm very tired.
要是你講著話時我睡著了,可別以為是不敬,我太累了。
短語提煉:
the three of us:我們三個人
the best of friends:摯友,最好的朋友
in one’s defense:出于某人的自我防衛
do sth to sb:向某人做某事
at this point:此時,在這個時候
enough with:夠了
go ahead:進行,前進
ought to:應該
by now:至此,到如今
talk to the wrong woman:找錯人說話
stay on:繼續呆下去,繼續做下去
report to:向......匯報
sorry for:為......感到歉意
old habits:老習慣
had something for somebody:給某人某物
look forward to:展望,期待,期盼
重點短語深化記憶:
at this point(介詞性短語)
Eg. Would you like to come inat this point, Prime Minister?
首相,您愿意在此刻發表意見嗎?
Eg. I will not recommend you for accelerated promotionat this point.
目前,我不會建議對你提前晉升。
Eg.At this pointwe must break the news that is wrong.
至此,我們必須透露出這個問題是錯誤的。
Eg,At this pointnothing can pep him up.
現在什么也不能使他振奮起來。
enough with(形容詞性短語)
Eg. You shouldn't reckon on Jim;he is readyenough withhis promises,but often fails to carry them out.
你不應當只靠吉姆;他總是滿口許愿,但常常不予履行。
go ahead(動詞性短語)
Eg. She decided togo aheadon her own.
她決定依靠自己的力量干下去。
Eg. The building of the new bridge willgo aheadas planned.
新橋的修建將按計畫進行。
Eg. The fete willgo aheadprovided the rain keeps off.
要是不下雨, 義賣會就照常進行.
Eg. If you really need help thengo aheadand ask.
你如果真需要幫助,那就請人幫助吧。
by now(介詞性短語)
Eg. I thought you would have finished itby now.
我以為到現在為止你已經做完那件事。
Eg.By nowpeople were stopping around them and looking on curiously.
這時候已有些人停住腳站在他們周圍看熱鬧了。
Eg. I thought everyone knewby nowthat I loathed my husband.
我想如今每個人都知道我厭惡我的丈夫。
Eg. According to my calculation, he should be in Taipeiby now.
根據我的推測,他現在應該已經到臺北了。
stay on(動詞性短語)
Eg. Once again I was tempted. And once again I decided tostay on.
我又一次動心想走了。但是又一次我決定留下來。
Eg. We'llstay onin the village till the autumn harvest is over.
我們將留在村里,秋收后再走。
Eg. Don't allow the lights tostay onafter people leave the office.
人們離開辦公室后,別讓電燈繼續亮著。
Eg. I can'tstay onpins and needles any longer.
我為能讓事情擱在那兒牽腸掛肚。
report to(動詞性短語)
Eg. I take this opportunity toreport toyou about a matter.
順便向各位報告一件事。
Eg. I told you expressly toreport tome everyday.
我明確告訴過你每天要向我匯報。
Eg. Had I betterreport tothe police?
我最好向警察局報案嗎?
Eg. And now I come to think of it, I might as well ride round there myself andreport tohim or squire.
我現在想起來了,我應該親自去他家,向他或鄉紳報告這件事。
look forward to(動詞性短語)
Eg. Ilook forward tobeing alone in the house.
我盼望著能自己一人待在這所房子里。
Eg. We will be at the10 Baker Street at six sharp, andlook forward toseeing you.
我們將于晚六點準時到達貝克大街10號,到時再會。
Eg. I am familiar with his work andlook forward tohearing his views on Literary and artistic creation.
我熟悉他的作品,并期待他能就文藝創作問題發表自己的見解。