臺詞欣賞:
Alexis:What are we drinking to?
我們為了什么而舉杯
Wilhelmina:To a father who realizes his child will never compare to the one he lost.
為一個明白眼前的孩子永遠沒有他所失去的那個父親好
And to a son who knows he'll never measure up, no matter how hard he tries.
讓他知道無論他有多努力他的兒子永遠都不會達標
Alexis:It's practically Shakespearean.
真有幾分莎士比亞的味道
Wilhelmina:As long as there's this wedge between the two of them, their relationship is doomed.
只要他們之間有了磕磕碰碰 他們的關系肯定破裂
Daniel's time at the magazine and ultimately, the company will be limited.
Daniel待在雜志社的時間 乃至在公司都會被限制
Alexis:Well, perhaps it's time I drive that wedge a little deeper.
或許是時候讓矛盾擴大些了
What would Daniel think——if he were tipped off as to what his dear old father were capable of?
如果向Daniel透露點關于他親愛的爸爸的事 他會做何感想
Daniel:Hey, what if we shrink the magazine down so women can fit it in their purses easier?
嘿 如果縮小雜志尺寸 女士們很容易就能把它裝進手袋 這個主意怎么樣
See, now, Alex would've made that. He should be the one here doing this, not me. At least my father would be happier.
聽著 要是Alex還在的話 在這兒的肯定是他 不是我 至少我爸爸也會高興點
Betty:If your father didn't think you could do this job, then why would he give it to you?
如果你爸爸認為你干不了 那為什么他要讓你來接管
Daniel:Is this Kung Pao Chicken or, or orange beef?
這個是宮保雞丁還是茄汁牛肉
Betty:Well, after five hours, Daniel, I... I don't really think it matters.
已經過去五個小時了 Daniel 我 我認為那無關緊要
Daniel:You know what next Saturday is?
你知道下個禮拜六是什么日子嗎
The Harvard Yale game. Biggest college football game of the year.
是哈佛和耶魯的比賽 一年之中最盛大的大學橄欖球賽
Betty:You want me to try and get you tickets?
要我幫你搞到票子
Daniel:You know, every year since we were kids, my father would take Alex to that game.
你知道嗎 從孩提時代起 爸爸他每年都會帶著Alex去看比賽
It was their——their thing. He never once invited me.
那是屬于他們的 他們的比賽
You know, I actually thought after Alex died, he was gonna ask me to go, but... It's okay. I'm used to it.
他從來都沒邀請過我 我以為Alex死了 他就會邀我去 可是這沒什么 我習慣了
Every parent has a favorite, right?
所有的父母都有偏愛的孩子 不是嗎
Betty:Well, you know, my dad doesn't.
嗯 我爸爸不會這樣
Daniel:Sure, he does. I mean, they all do.
他當然會 我的意思是他們都會那樣
Sometimes it's, uh, something small, but you can see it, you know?
有時候是一些很小的事 但你還是可以感覺到 不是嗎
They, uh, smile a little brighter when one of you walks in the room... laugh a little louder when one of you tells a joke.
他們會對其中一個笑得更甜一點 會為其中一個講的笑話笑得更多一點