片段精選:
臺詞欣賞:
Jane : What a handsome place!
太壯觀了!
Mrs. Fairfax : I have the windows open to let in a little air. Everything gets so damp in rooms that are seldom entered.
我開著窗戶通通風。由于少用,家具都變潮了。
Now let me show you the rest of the house. Here are the master's rooms.
我再帶你走走其他房間。這就是主人間了。
Jane : Is that Mr. Rochester?
那是Rochester嗎?
Mrs. Fairfax : Oh, no.His father. And why Mr. Rochester keeps it here, despite everything, I do not know, one of his strange ways.
不,是他父親。我搞不懂為什么Rochester先生非要把它留著。這是我搞不懂,是他一種奇怪的習慣吧。
He's father and his brother... they were very unfair to him. Some would say barbarous. He was the younger son, You see.
他父兄對他很不公,有些人說是粗暴。你瞧,他是末子。
And he was expected to sacrifice everything for family. He only inherited Thornfield, nine years ago.
他理所當然為家業犧牲一切。9年前他才繼承了Thornfield。
When he was a child, he was such a gentle boy.
還小的時候,那男孩是多么溫順啊。
Jane : He's clearly not barbarous himself, if he's taking care of Adele's upbringing.
顯然他本性并不粗野,不然他不可能撫養Adele。
Mrs. Fairfax : Oh no, oh no, Mr. Rochesterdoes accept his responsibilities.
不,不,Rochester先生承擔起這份義務的。
And he's a generous and liberal landlord to his tenants.
對于下人,他也總是那么慷慨開明。
He's well traveled, very intelligent.
他周游各地,見多識廣。
But when he talks to you, you cannot always be sure whether he's in jest or in earnest. Whether he is pleased or to the contrary, he is not a happy man.
但當他與你談話時,你總不能確定他是發自肺腑,還是說著玩而已。不知道他是高興還是惱怒。反正,他過得并不開心。
Oh my goodness! Those flowers! Oh, I do keep telling them the rooms must be kept in readiness!
天啊,這些花兒。我告訴過他們房間總得隨時準備好。
Mr. Rochester visits may be rare, but we are never warned.
Rochester先生的客人很少,來時從來就不會先通知我們。
Jane : What was that?
什么聲音?
Mrs. Fairfax : One of the servants most likely. Perhaps, Grace Poole.
像是其中一個仆人,可能是Grace Poole。
Jane : But did you hear it?
你聽到嗎?
Mrs. Fairfax : Oh, yes. I often hear it. She does sewing in one of these rooms.
聽到了。我時常聽得見。她在這排房間里縫紉。
Grace! Too much noise, Grace. Remember instructions.
Grace,太吵了,Grace,記住主人的命令。
We can go back this way.
我們從這邊回去吧。