嘿,你打算開的那個模擬駕駛練習場怎樣了?
Larry: Getting there, still waiting for the technology to catch up.
正在弄,還在等著那樣的技術快點出現。
virtual: 實質的;模擬的,虛擬的
For example, in a Virtual space, Students can "dissect" a human body, "visit" ancient battlefields, or "talk" with Shakespeare, ...
比如,在虛擬的空間中,學生們可以與莎士比亞“對話”。
A virtual state of war exists between the two countries.
這兩國間實際上處于戰爭狀態。
range: 范圍
The houses are sold out within this price range.
在這個價位范圍之內的房子已售完。
It has come within the range of practical politics.
這就屬于可實施性政治的范圍了。
Erica: Oh, no, Larry. You didn't get evicted again, did you?
哦,不是把,Larry。你又被房東趕出來了,對嗎?
Larry: I didn't...
我沒有……
...Get evicted. I didn't get evicted, no. I mean, I didn't....
……被趕出來。我沒被趕出來,不。我是說,我沒有……
evict: 驅逐,逐出
The landlord can evict a tenant who doesn't pay the rent.
房東能夠驅逐出不付租金的房客。
If evicted, they would have nowhere else to go.
如果被驅趕,他們就無處可去。
Larry: That's not the point. Come on, you love hockey.
那個不是重點.。好了吧,你可是很喜歡冰球的。
Nicky: I still like it, but bond trading's my fallback.
我還是很喜歡的,但是證券交易員是我的退路。
fallback: 撤退,退卻,后退的,后備的,用來應變的
We need a fallback position if they won't do the job.
如果他們不干這個工作,我們就需要一個應變的方案。
Does not use the resource fallback process.
不使用資源后備進程。
Debbie: Mr. Daley, I can honestly say, in 43 years at this agency...
Daley先生,老實說,我在這里干了43年……
...I've never seen a resume quite like yours.
……還從來沒有看到過像你這樣的簡歷。
Larry: All right.
好吧。
Debbie: That wasn't a compliment.
那不是贊賞。
complement: 贊賞,稱贊,恭維
He complimented her on her new dress without even looking at it.
他連看都沒看一眼,就稱頌她的新衣服。
【詞義辨析】
praise, applaud, commend, compliment
這些動詞均有“贊揚、表揚、稱贊”之意。
praise: 普通用詞,指用語言或其它方式表示夸獎、贊揚。
applaud: 指出色的表演或高尚的行為等得到同聲贊許、大聲叫好或熱烈鼓掌。
commend: 正式用詞,指對具體功績或成就等表示稱贊或嘉獎。
compliment: 側重客氣和禮貌,有時含恭維之意。