Adrian,你一定餓了吧。
-Adrian: I'm famished. How are you, Aparna?
我要餓死了,你還好嗎?Aparna。
-Aparna: I made that fish curry you love.
我做了你最愛吃的咖喱魚。——《2012世界末日》
famished: 極饑餓的
When's lunch? I'm famished!
什么時候吃午飯? 我都快餓死了!
He was so famished that golden sparks danced before his eyes.
他餓得眼前直冒金星。
All of the refugees looked famished.
難民個個面有菜色。
-Adrian: Your message said that .The count doubled after the last solar eruptions.
你之前來信說了,在太陽風暴之后它們的數量增長為兩倍。
-Satnam: That was last week. But this happened two days ago. The biggest solar eruptions in human history.
那是上周的事,這是兩天前發生的,人類歷史上最大的一次太陽風暴。
——《2012世界末日》
solar: 太陽的,太陽能的,與太陽有關的
The sun is the center of our solar system.
太陽是太陽系的中心
The solar cell can convert the energy of sunlight into electric energy.
太陽能電池能把陽光的能量轉化為電能。
erupt: 爆發,噴發,激增
Violence has erupted on the streets.
大街上突然發生了暴亂。
An active volcano may erupt at any time.
活火山隨時可能噴發。
The wisdom of Chinese people will erupt like a volcano.
中國人的智慧就會象火山一樣釋放出來。
-Mr President: Mr Macaraca wishes to have his interpreters present.
Macaraca先生希望他的翻譯可以在場。
-Thomas: Mr President, I can assure you, Your English is more than sufficient for what I have to say.
總統先生,我可以向你保證,你絕對可以聽懂我說的話。——《2012世界末日》
sufficient: 足夠的;充分的
The money I have saved is sufficient for buying a car.
我所存的錢足以買一輛汽車。
We must work hard, but equally we must get sufficient rest.
我們必須努力工作,但同時也要有充分的休息。
-Thomas: Six months ago, I was made aware of a situation so devastating. That at first I refused to believe it.
半年前,我得知了一個震驚的消息,起初,我甚至拒絕相信。
However, through the concerted efforts of our brightest scientists, we have confirmed its validity. The world as we know it will soon come to an end.
然而在我們最杰出的科學家們的共同努力下,我們確認了它的真實性,我們所熟知的世界就要走向盡頭了。——《2012世界末日》
devastating: 毀滅性的,破壞性的,驚人的
A smouldering cigarette can kindle a devastating bushfire.
悶燃著的香煙會引起毀滅性的林區大火。
The area is subject to devastating seasonal winds.
這個地區常遭破壞性季風的襲擊。
We were all shocked by the devastating news.
我們因為這個令人震驚的消息都嚇壞了。