Joan: Hello? Miss Watson? 有人嗎? 沃森小姐?
Miss Watson: Yes. I'm back here. 我在這后面。
Joan: I've never been to this part of campus before. Where are we? 我從未來過校園的這個區。這是哪里?
Miss Watson: No man's land. So to speak. Come on in. 可以說是“女兒國”。 過來吧。
Joan: What's all this? 這都是些什么?
Miss Watson: Different things, different days. People who inspire me, artists I admire, editorials I don't. So you came to see me…不同時期的不同作品。感動我的人,我推崇的藝術家 我不喜歡的評論。你來見我是為了……
Joan: You gave me a C. 你給我打了個C。
Miss Watson: I'm kind. 算是慷慨了。
Joan: The assignment was to write about Bruegel. That’s what I did. 要求寫篇關于勃魯蓋爾的作業,我完成了。
Miss Watson: No, what you did was to copy Strauss. 你沒有,你只是抄襲了史特勞斯的文章。
Joan: I was referencing an expert. 我是參考了專家的文章。
Miss Watson: If I wanted to know what he thought, I'd buy his book. 如果我想知道他的觀點的話,會去買他的書。
Joan: Miss Watson, with all due respect.... 沃森小姐,盡管對您尊敬之至……
Miss Watson: Bruegel was a storyteller. Find the stories. Break them down into smaller pieces. You might actually enjoy it. 勃魯蓋爾擅長講故事。去查尋他的故事吧。把它們化整為零,你會真正樂在其中的。
Joan: You're giving me another chance? 你會再給我一次機會?
Miss Watson: So it seems. 看上去是這樣的。
Joan: Is that my file? What does it say? 這是我的檔案嗎?上面寫了什么?
Miss Watson: Well, let's see. Straight A's. 好,讓我們瞧瞧。全是 A。
Joan: Until now. 直到現在。
Miss Watson: President of the poetry society, captain of the debate team....co-captain of the tennis club, founder of the horticulture league. 詩社社長、辯論隊領隊、網球俱樂部副主席、園藝社團創辦人。
Joan: I sound like a pompous ass. 聽上去像個華而不實的傻瓜。
Miss Watson: Yes, you do, but a very busy one. And it says here that you're pre-law. What law school are you gonna go to? 的確,而且相當忙碌。這里說你還參加了法律預科. 你打算去哪里讀法律?
Joan: I hadn't thought about that. After I graduate, I'm plan on getting married. 我沒想過。畢業后,我準備結婚。
Miss Watson: And then? 然后呢?
Joan: And then I'll be married. 然后我就成已婚的了。
Miss Watson: You can do both. Just for fun, if you could go to any law school, which would it be? 你可以二者兼顧。開玩笑的說,如果你真的讀法律,會去哪里?
Joan: Yale. 耶魯。
Miss Watson: Yale. 耶魯。
Joan: They keep five slots open for women, one unofficially for a Wellesley girl. 他們給女性留了五個名額,其中之一已然非正式的聲明是留給韋爾斯利學院的女生。
Miss Watson: But you haven't really thought about it. 但是你并沒有認真考慮過。
adj. 傲慢的,自大的,浮華的