106.Another Rumor
106.又一個謠言
"Guess what I just heard?" Dan whispered.
"猜猜我剛剛聽到了什么?"丹小聲說。
"Aw c'mon, don't make me guess at it! Just tell me!"
"哦!別!別讓我猜啦!告訴我吧!"
Mark whispered back, trying to guard against being heard by the people sitting next to him at the dinner.
馬克也小聲說道,他想盡量不讓坐在旁邊吃飯的人聽到他的話。
"I heard that Dr. Robbins was habituated to marijuana!"
"我聽說羅賓斯以前習慣于抽大麻!"
"What? No! He's so clean cut! Out of the half a dozen people here, he would be the last one I could see smoking pot!"
"什么?不可能!他是那么清清白白的一個人!這兒半打人中間,他是我最不可能看到成天熏煙的人!"
"Yep. But he did it for medical reasons.
"是的,但他那樣做是有醫學方面的原因的。
It seems his half brother almost killed him when they were younger over a pair of gym shoes.
好像是他那同父異母的兄弟小時候為了爭一雙運動鞋差點要了他的命。
Apparently Dr. Robbins bought the shoes at half price, didn't tell his brother and tried to make him pay full price.
很顯然羅賓斯醫生用半價買了這雙鞋,沒有告訴他的兄弟,卻準備讓他付全款。
It was an awful fight! They both went to the hospital!"
那次架打得可真夠狠的,結果倆人都去了醫院!"
"Wow! So what is the medical reason?"
"哇!那醫學方面的原因又是什么呢?"
"I don't know. Nobody knew who was the hands-down winner.
"我不知道。沒人知道誰是當然的贏家。
But Dr. Robbins still carries those shoes around with him today in an old gym bag!
但羅賓斯醫生到今天還把那雙鞋放在一個舊運動包里帶著到處轉!
Look there it is at his side! He must still have a grudge against his brother or something!"
你瞧,那包就在他身邊呢!他一定還在怨恨他的兄弟或者什么的!"
Dan was a curious person.
丹是個好奇的人。
So he decided that he had better do something about what he had just heard to know if it was true or not.
因此他認為最好還是就剛才聽到的事做點什么,看這事兒到底是不是真的。
"Excuse me, Mr. Robbins. Forgive me for being so bold.
"對不起,羅賓斯醫生。請原諒我如此冒昧。
But why do you, a guest lecturer, carry around an old gym bag?"
但您作為一名客座講師為什么總帶著一個舊運動包呢?"
"Oh that old thing!" replied Mr. Robbins.
"啊,你說的是那個舊東西!"羅賓斯醫生回答說。
"Why don't you guess what is inside?" "A pair of old gym shoes!" Dan replied.
"為什么不猜猜里面裝著什么? ""一雙舊運動鞋!"丹回答道。
Mr. Robbins was still for a moment and then smiled.
羅賓斯醫生平靜了一會兒,然后笑了起來。
"No, no. It's just a few workout clothes and a carton of half-and-half. I just came from the gym!"
"不,不。里面只是幾件訓練服和一盒稀奶油。我剛從體育館出來!"
Dan kicked Mark under the table!
丹在桌子底下踢了馬克一腳!