67.A Favor for a Date
67.討價還價
"Excuse me,could you do me a favor?" That's how it always begins.
"對不起,你能幫我一個忙嗎?"事情經常是這樣開始的。
"Don't tell me!" I replied.
"別告訴我!"我回答道。
"You need someone to go door-to-door to get people to come to the dorm council meeting!"
"你需要找個人去挨家挨戶找人來參加宿舍委員會的會議!"
"How did you know? That's so great!
"你是怎么知道的?太好了!
I can do without other people, but cannot do without you, Scott."
沒有別人我能行,可沒有你我真的不行, 司各特。"
"Don't bother flattering me this time, Jenny! I won't do it!"
"詹妮,這次先別煩著拍我的馬屁!我不會干的!"
And then I started to walk away.
說完我就準備離開。
"Don't look at me!" another student said before I heard Jenny run up and grab me from behind.
"別看我!"在我聽到詹妮跑過來從后面抓住我之前,另外一個學生說。
"But Scott, you know the dos and don'ts about convincing people to attend better than anyone!
"可是司各特,你比誰都了解那些勸大伙兒來開會的規則!
Would it do you any good if I promised to go out with you this Friday night? She said with a smile.
如果我答應這個星期五晚上跟你出去約會,這對你有用嗎?"她笑著說。
I stopped!
我停了下來!
I had only ever done errands for girls in order to go out with them. I was done for!
我以前替女孩子跑腿就是為了能和她們約會。我真是完蛋了!
But then I gathered my courage and said, "Even if you promised to kiss me afterwards, I wouldn't do it," I said slowly. "Really,I'm dog tired and I have to go?"
不過我還是鼓起勇氣說:"即使你答應約會之后還吻我,我也不干。"我慢條斯理地說。"是真的,我很累,我得走了。"
"Do you mind if I ask you to help tomorrow then?"
"那你介意我請你明天幫忙嗎?"
"Will you still go out with me on Friday and kiss me afterwards?"
"那你星期五還和我約會并吻我嗎?"
"Scott, you do me wrong!"
"司各特,你這是想虐待我!"
"No, I'd be doing you a favor! Date and a kiss?" I said with a smile.
"哪兒呀,我是要給你幫忙的!約會并親吻?"我笑著說。
"Okay," she replied shyly. "But don't mention it to anyone, okay?"
"好吧!"她不好意思地答道。但別跟任何人說這事兒,行嗎?"
"Sure," I replied. "No one will ever know!"
"當然!"我回答說。"沒人會知道的!"