Hello, I'm Feifei and this is The English We Speak.
大家好,我是菲菲,歡迎來到地道英語節目。
… and hello, it's Rob here. Err, Feifei, I hope you don't mind me saying but you look a bit hot and sweaty.
大家好,我是羅伯。呃,菲菲,我希望你不介意我這么說,但你看起來有點熱,有點出汗。
That's because I've been training for this 'thing' that Dan's having for his birthday.
那是因為我一直在為丹的生日做這個“thing”訓練。
A 'thing' – what sort of thing?
一件“thing”--什么樣的事情?
Well according to his party invitation, he's having a knees-up to celebrate his birthday. I'm not sure what it is but I wanted to be prepared by getting fit. Look I can get my knee up to my chin!
根據他的聚會邀請,他要舉行一場knees-up來慶祝生日。我不確定這是什么,不過我想鍛煉下身體來做好準備。看,我能把膝蓋抬到下巴這里!
That's impressive but completely unnecessary. A knees-up is an informal way of saying a lively party where there's usually dancing. So he's having a party!
很厲害,不過完全沒必要。knees-up是種非正式的說法,用來表達通常有跳舞的熱鬧派對。所以他是要開派對!
Oh right. So I've been invited to Dan's birthday party! Well, if there's dancing I still need to get fit.
對哦。那就是說我被邀請去參加丹的生日派對了!好吧,如果有跳舞的話,我還是得健身。
That's true. Let's hear some more examples of people having a knees-up…
沒錯。我們來聽更多關于knees-up的例子。
Sorry I'm a bit sleepy today, we had a big knees-up last night. It was great!
抱歉我今天有點困,昨晚我們開狂歡派對了。超棒!
We're planning a knees-up for Dad's 70th birthday, I hope you can come.
我們正在為爸爸籌劃70歲的生日狂歡派對,希望你能來。
Now our exams have finished, let's have a knees-up at my house tonight!
現在考試結束了,今晚去我家狂歡吧!
So a knees-up is a lively party or gathering to celebrate something. This is going to be fun!
因此,knees-up是熱鬧的派對或聚會,用來慶祝某件事的。肯定會很好玩!
Yes, there'll be dancing…
是的,會有舞蹈……
Good.
很好。
Eating and drinking…
吃吃喝喝。
Perfect.
完美。
And lots of celebrating. But this knees-up will be missing one thing.
還有很多慶祝活動。但這個狂歡派對會缺少一樣東西。
Oh yes, what's that?
哦,是什么?
Me. I won't be coming – I haven't got time – I'm up to my knees in paperwork.
我。我不會來了--我沒時間--我正忙著做文書工作呢。
'Up to your knees' in paperwork! You mean you've got too much work to do – come on Rob, be honest, you haven't been invited!
在文書里'Up to your knees'!你是說你有太多工作要做--拜托,羅伯,說實話,你還沒被邀請呢!
Well….yes. I can't dance anyway, I've got a bad knee.
嗯……是的。反正我也不會跳舞,我膝蓋不好。
Excuses. I'll let you know how it goes. Bye!
借口。我會告訴你后續進展的。再見!
Bye!
再見!