'Floy, did I ever see Mama?'
“弗洛伊,我看見過媽媽沒有?”
'No, darling, why?'
“沒有,親愛的,為什么你要問這個問題?”
'Did I ever see any kind face, like Mama's, looking at me when I was a baby, Floy?'
“當我還是個嬰兒的時候,我有沒有看見過像媽媽那樣仁慈的臉看著我,弗洛伊?”
He asked, incredulously, as if he had some vision of a face before him.
他表示懷疑地問道,仿佛在他面前出現了一張臉孔的幻影。
'Oh yes, dear!'
“是的,你看見過,親愛的!”
'Whose, Floy?'
“誰的臉,弗洛伊?”
'Your old nurse's. Often.'
“你從前的奶媽的,你常常見到它。”
'And where is my old nurse?' said Paul. 'Is she dead too? Floy, are we all dead, except you?'
“我從前的奶媽現在在哪里?”保羅問道,“她是不是也死了?弗洛伊,是不是除了你,我們大家全都死了?”
There was a hurry in the room, for an instant—longer, perhaps; but it seemed no more—then all was still again; and Florence, with her face quite colourless, but smiling, held his head upon her arm. Her arm trembled very much.
房間里一陣慌亂,持續了片刻——也許還長久些,但似乎也不會長久多少——,然后一切又平靜下來。弗洛倫斯臉上毫無血色,但卻微笑著,用胳膊枕著他的頭。她的胳膊顫抖得很厲害。
'Show me that old nurse, Floy, if you please!'
“請讓我看看我從前的那位奶媽吧,弗洛伊!”
'She is not here, darling. She shall come tomorrow.'
“她不在這里,親愛的。她明天一定會來的。”
'Thank you, Floy!'
“謝謝你,弗洛伊!”
Paul closed his eyes with those words, and fell asleep. When he awoke, the sun was high, and the broad day was clear and He lay a little, looking at the windows, which were open, and the curtains rustling in the air, and waving to and fro: then he said, 'Floy, is it tomorrow? Is she come?'
保羅講完這些話,合上眼睛,睡著了。當他醒來的時候,太陽已經升高,白天明亮、溫暖。他躺了一會兒,望著打開的窗子和在微風中颯颯作響、來回飄動的窗簾;然后他問道:“弗洛伊,明天到了嗎?她來了嗎?”