"Here I am, minding my own business, and someone thinks it's funny to throw a book at me..."
“我在這里待得好好兒的,考慮自己的問題,有人覺得往我身上扔一本書怪好玩的……”
"But it can't hurt you if someone throws something at you," said Harry, reasonably.
“即使有人扔東西砸你,也不會把你砸痛啊。”哈利很理智地說,
"I mean, it'd just go right through you, wouldn't it?" He had said the wrong thing.
“我的意思是,那東西可以徑直從你身上穿過,是不是?” 哈利說錯了話。
Myrtle puffed herself up and shrieked,
桃金娘一下子使自己膨脹起來,尖聲叫道:
"Let's all throw books at Myrtle, because she can't feel it!
“讓大家都用書砸桃金娘吧,因為她根本感覺不到!
Ten points if you can get it through her stomach!
如果你們用書投中了她的肚子,得十分!
Fifty points if it goes through her head!
如果投中了她的腦袋,得五十分!
Well, ha ha ha! What a lovely game, I don't think!"
很好,哈哈,哈哈!多么可愛的游戲,我看不見得!”
"Who threw it at you, anyway?" asked Harry.
“那么是誰用書砸你的?”哈利問。
"I don't know... I was just sitting in the U-bend, thinking about death, and it fell right through the top of my head," said Myrtle, glaring at them.
“我不知道……當時我坐在馬桶圈上,想著死亡,那本書就突然從我腦袋上落了下來。”桃金娘狠狠地瞪著他們,說道。
"It's over there, it got washed out."
“就在那兒呢,全被水泡爛了。”
Harry and Ron looked under the sink, where Myrtle was pointing. A small, thin book lay there.
哈利和羅恩順著桃金娘指的方向,朝水池下面一看,只見一本小小的、薄薄的書躺在地上。
It had a shabby black cover and was as wet as everything else in the bathroom.
破破爛爛的黑色封皮,和盥洗室的每件東西一樣,完全濕透了。
Harry stepped forward to pick it up, but Ron suddenly flung out an arm to hold him back.
哈利上前一步,想把它撿起來,可是羅恩突然伸出一只手臂,把他拉住了。
"What?" said Harry.
“怎么?”哈利問。
"Are you mad?" said Ron. "It could be dangerous."
“你瘋了嗎?”羅恩說,“可能有危險。”
"Dangerous?" said Harry, laughing. "Come off it, how could it be dangerous?"
“危險?”哈利說著,笑了起來,“別胡扯了,怎么可能有危險呢?”
"You'd be surprised," said Ron, who was looking apprehensively at the book.
“說出來你會感到吃驚的,”羅恩說,恐懼地看著那本書,
"Some of the books the Ministry's confiscated—Dad's told me—there was one that burned your eyes out.
“我爸告訴我,有些被魔法部沒收的書,其中有一本會把你的眼睛燒瞎。
And everyone who read Sonnets of a Sorcerer spoke in limericks for the rest of their lives.
凡是讀過《巫師的十四行詩》這本書的人,一輩子都只能用五行打油詩說話。
And some old witch in Bath had a book that you could never stop reading!
巴斯的一位老巫師有一本書,你一看就永遠也放不下來!
You just had to wander around with your nose in it, trying to do everything one-handed. And—"
你走到哪兒都把臉埋在書里,只好學著用一只手做所有的事情。還有——”
"All right, I've got the point," said Harry.
“好了,我已經明白了。”哈利說。
The little book lay on the floor, nondescript and soggy.
那本小書躺在地板上,濕乎乎的,模糊不清。
"Well, we won't find out unless we look at it," he said,
“可是,我們只有看了才會知道啊。”他說,
and he ducked round Ron and picked it off the floor. Harry saw at once that it was a diary, and the faded year on the cover told him it was fifty years old.
一低頭繞過羅恩,把書從地板上撿了起來。哈利一眼就看出這是一本日記,封皮上已經褪了色的日期表明它是五十年前的。