This was Mercedes Charles’s wife and Hal's sister.
她是查爾斯的妻子, 哈爾的姐姐, 叫瑪爾賽蒂。
Buck watched the men take down the tent and load all their luggage on the sledge.
巴克冷眼瞧著他們拆掉帳篷, 把所有的東西都放到雪撬上。
They didn't know how to do it sensibly, and every time they put something on the sledge, Mercedes moved it.
他們不懂得如何把東西有條理地安置好。而且更糟的是, 每一次剛把東西放到雪撬上, 瑪爾賽蒂就動手移開它。
Often they had to take things off the sledge and start again.
所以他們常常不得不把東西搬下來重新開始。
Three men came up and watched, laughing
3個男人走上前看到這情景, 笑了起來。
'You've got a heavy load on that sledge, 'said one of them 'Why don't you leave the tent here in Skagway?'
“你們放在雪撬上的東西太沉了, ”其中一個人說道, “你們干嘛不把帳篷留在斯開格威?”
'How could we live without a tent?'asked Mercedes, throwing up her hands in the air.
“沒有帳篷我們怎么活下去呢?”瑪爾賽蒂問道, 向空中伸出雙手。
'It's spring now. You won't have any more cold weather.'
“春天來了, 天氣不會再冷啦。”
'I must have a tent, ' she answered, and helped Charles and Hal with the last few boxes.
“我可不能沒有帳篷。”她答道, 幫著查爾斯和哈爾搬著最后幾只箱子。
'Do you think that load will stay on?' asked another man.
“你那些東西裝的不太穩當吧?”另一個人說。
'Why shouldn't it?'asked Charles.
“這為什么呢?”查爾斯問。
'Well, it's a bit heavy on top. Do you think your dogs will be able to pull that?'
“哦, 頂頭太重了。你想你的狗拉這么多東西吃得消嗎?”
'Of course they will, ' said Hal. The sledge was now ready to go.' Come on, dogs, pull! ‘he shouted .
“他們當然拉得動。”哈爾說。雪撬已經準備起程。“來, 狗, 拉車。”他喊道。
The dogs pulled as hard as they could, but the sledge did not move.
狗使出全身的力氣拉, 但雪撬紋絲未動。
'The lazy animals!' shouted Hal, picking up his whip.
“懶東西!”哈爾叫著, 掄起了鞭子。