Were you shipwrecked?I asked.
你的船遇難了嗎?我問道。
No ,my friend,he said.Marooned.
不是,我的朋友,他說,是流放。
I had heard the word before, and knew it meant a cruel punishment often used by pirates-leaving a man alone on some distant, empty island.
我聽說過這個詞,知道是海盜們使用的一種殘酷的懲罰手段—受罰者被放逐到一個遙遠的荒島上。
Marooned three years, he continued, living on wild goats and fish.
三年前我被放逐到這里,他繼續說,從此一直靠吃野山羊和生魚過活。
But I'm desperate for real English food.
但我多么想吃真正的英國飯啊!
You don't have a piece of cheese, do you?
你是不是帶著干酪什么的?
Many nights I've dreamed of cheese.
我不知多少個夜晚都夢見過干酪。
If I can get on board ship again, I said, you can have as much cheese as you want.
我要是能回到船上去,我說,你要多少干酪都可以。
Who's going to prevent you?he said.And tell me your name.
那么誰不讓你回去呢?他說。還有,你叫什么名字?
Jim,I told him.
吉姆,我告訴他。
Well, Jim,he said, looking around and lowering his voice to a whisper, I'm rich.
那好,吉姆,他說,他四處張望了一下,把嗓門壓低了,我發財啦!
I was now sure the poor man was crazy ,but he repeated his words.
我確信他一定是瘋了,可他重復他的話:
Rich, I say! Now ,Jim ,that isn't Flint's ship, is it?
我發財啦!吉姆,那是不是弗林特的船?
關于《金銀島》
許多現代主義的作家并不認同他,因為史蒂文森是大眾化的,而且他的作品并不符合他們所定義的文學。