Chapter 9 The man of the island
第9章 島中人
But almost immediately I ran into a new danger.
幾乎是在同時,我又碰到了新的危險。
As I ran, I heard some small stones falling from the side of a steep hill.
在我跑的時候,我聽見許多石塊從陡峭的山坡上紛紛落下。
I stopped to look round, and saw a figure jump quickly behind a tree.
我停下腳步環視,看見一個身影迅捷地跳到一棵樹后。
Frightened, I turned back towards the boats, but the figure appeared again and moved with the speedof an animal.
我很害怕,轉身向船跑去,那個身影又出現了,跑得和野獸一樣快。
But it was a man, I knew that now.
這回我看清楚了,那是一個人。
I remembered I had a pistol if I needed it, and turned back towards this man of the island.
我忽然想起我帶著槍,于是我轉過身去面對那個島中人。
He was hiding behind another tree but stepped out to meet me.
他正躲在一棵樹后面,這時他走出來面對著我。
Who are you ?I asked, staring at him.
你是什么人?我盯著他問。
Ben Gunn ,he answered, and his voice sounded rough andstrange.
本·葛恩,他說,聲音沙啞而怪異。
His skin was burnt nearly black by the sun and his clothes were made from pieces of a ship's sail.
他的皮膚被曬黑了,衣服是船帆的破布條。
Poor Ben Gunn,he went on.Alone for three years.
我是可憐的本·葛恩,他繼續說,我一個人在這兒三年了。
關于《金銀島》
但是在他去世后他的文學聲譽開始下降,并且后人僅僅認為他是一名杰出的兒童故事作家。