After I had finished breakfast,the squire gave me a note to take to Long John Silver at the Spyglass Inn.
我吃完早點后,鄉紳給了我一張紙條,讓我給在望遠鏡酒店的高個約翰·西爾弗送去。
It was a bright little place where the customers were mostly seamen.
這是一間小巧而明亮的酒店,光顧這里的大部分是海員。
As I entered ,a man came out of a side room and I knew immediately he must be Long John.
我剛一進去,就有一個人從一間側屋里出來,我馬上認出他就是高個約翰。
His left leg was cut off above the knee and he walked with a crutch under his left shoulder.
他左腿從膝蓋處鋸掉,左肩下拄著一根拐杖。
He was tall and strong with a big,smiling face.
他身高體壯,笑容可掬。
Now ,when I read about Long John in Squire Trelawney's letter,
說實話,我在屈利勞尼的信中讀到高個約翰這個人時,
I had been afraid he might be the one-legged seamanthat old Bill had talked about.
我就擔心他是老比爾提到的那個一條腿的海員。
But one look at the man in front of me was enough.
但只看一眼眼前這個人我就知道他是個什么人了。
I knew old Bill, and Black Dog, and the blind man Pew.
我見過老比爾,黑狗和瞎子皮尤。
I thought I knew what a pirate looked like-a very different person from this clean and smiling man.
我想我知道海盜是副什么模樣——完全不同于這位整潔而和善的人。
Mr Silver ,sir?I asked, holding out the note.
西爾弗先生嗎?我問道,遞上那張紙條。
Yes ,my boy,he said.That's my name .And who are you?And then he saw the squire's letter and looked surprised.
是的,孩子,他說,我叫西爾弗。你是誰?他看著鄉紳的字條,然后叫起來:
Oh!he said loudly. I see you're our new cabin-boy.I'm pleased to meet you.
噢!你就是船上新來的服務員。很高興認識你。

關于《金銀島》
這部作品有著鮮明的驚險色彩,為人們揭開了冒險者世界的一角。