'Well, ' said Defarge, 'it is a long time.'
“唉,”得法熱說,“時間太長了。”
'It takes time to prepare for change. The crimes against the people of France cannot be revenged in a day.'
“準備變革就得花費時間。”
'But we may not live to see the end.'
“但我們也許不會活著看到結果了?!?/span>
'Even if that happens, ' replied Madame Defarge, 'we shall help it to come.
“即使是這樣,”得法熱夫人說,”“我們也要盡力讓它到來。
But I believe that we shall see the day of our revenge against these hated noblemen.'
但是我相信我們會看到我們對那些可恨的貴族們復仇的那一天?!?/span>
The next day a stranger came into the wine-shop. At once, Madame Defarge picked up a rose from the table and put it in her hair.
第二天一個陌生人來到了酒店。立刻,得法熱夫人便從桌上拿起一支玫瑰花插在了頭發上。
As soon as they saw this, the customers stopped talking and, one by one, without hurrying, left the wine-shop.
顧客們一看到這個動作便立刻停止了交談,并一個接著一個從容地離開了酒店。
'Good day, Madame, ' said the stranger.
“你好,夫人。”陌生人說。
'Good day, Monsieur, 'said Madame Defarge, but to herself she said,
“你好,先生?!钡梅岱蛉苏f。但她心里說:
'About forty years old, tall, black hair, thin face. Yes, I know who you are, Mr John Barsad.'
“大約40多歲,高個兒,黑頭發,瘦臉龐。對了,我知道你是誰,約翰·巴薩德先生?!?/span>
'Is business good?' asked the stranger.
“生意好嗎?”陌生人問。
'Business is bad, The people are so poor.' Madame Defarge looked over to the door.'Ah, here is my husband.'
“生意不好,人們太窮了。”得法熱夫人抬起頭看著門。“啊,這是我丈夫。”
'Good day, Jacques, 'said the spy.
“你好,雅克。”間諜說道。
'You're wrong, ' said Defarge, staring at him.'That's not my name. I am Ernest Defarge.'
“你錯了,”得法熱盯著他說?!澳遣皇俏业拿?,我叫恩斯特·得法熱?!?/span>
'It's all the same, ' said the spy easily.'I remember something about you, Monsieur Defarge.
“那都一樣,”間諜隨口說道。“我記得你的一些事,得法熱先生。
You took care of Dr Manette when he came out of the Bastille.'
馬內特醫生從巴士底獄出來后是你照顧他的?!?/span>
'That's true, ' said Defarge.
“是那樣的。”得法熱說。
'Have you heard much from Dr Manette and his daughter? They're in England now.'
“你常有馬內特醫生和他女兒的消息嗎?他們現在在英國?!?/span>
'No, not for a long time.'
“沒有,很長時間都沒有了。”
作品的主題思想:
狄更斯在《雙城記》中進一步發展了他在前期作品中所宣揚的以仁慈為核心的精神。他要人們“勿以暴抗惡”,用仁愛、寬恕的精神來對待敵對的階級。凡是“以暴抗暴”,違反這種基督教仁慈精神的必然會自食其果。最能體現作家這種基督教仁愛精神的是英國律師卡爾登的形象??柕巧铑j廢,酗酒成性。他自稱是一個“失望的人”。他不關心世上任何人,世上任何人也不關心他。但他熱戀著路茜,為了路茜的幸福,他偽裝成代爾那,為代爾那上了斷頭臺。他雖然死了,但是他的靈魂卻得到了升華,狄更斯援引了《圣經》里的詞句來謳歌卡爾登高尚的品格。