73 An Open-minded Dissertation
一篇思想開放的論文
“I think we can disregard this article,” said John, as he helped Mary prepare materials for her political science dissertation.
“我想我們可以不考慮這篇文章。”約翰說。他在幫瑪麗寫政治科學論文準備材料。
“The author's dissenting opinions have brought him into disrepute, especially among his peers.”
“這個作者堅持異議,這使他,尤其是在他的同輩學者中,聲名狼藉。”
“Wait a minute,” responded Mary.
“等等,”瑪麗應聲說,
“I don't consider a person to be disreputable just because he is a dissenter.
“我不會因一個人是持不同政見者,就認為他品行不端。
Maybe he did disrupt their traditional thinking, but isn't a little bit of dissonance healthy for the intellectual community?
也許他的確打亂了他們的傳統思想,但一點點意見不一致不更有利于知識界的發展嗎?
Dissimilar thinking sometimes leads to better ideas and progress.
不同的思維有時會引發更偉大的思想和進步。
Besides, it's not likely that he's been disrespectful to his peers, right?”
此外,好像他并沒對他的同輩學人有過失禮之舉,是吧?”
“I don't know,” said John.
“我不知道,”約翰說,
“I do know he is a member of a dissident group.
“我只知道他是一個持不同政見者組織的成員。
I have also heard that he leads a dissolute lifestyle, but that is probably just a nasty rumor.
我還聽說他生活放蕩不羈,但這也許只是惡意的謠言。
Sometimes I see him at the cafeteria near the university.
有時我在大學旁的自助餐廳見到他。
He is always disseminating literature about his opinions.
他總在宣傳與他觀點有關的文學。
Our professors tell us it's rubbish and try to dissuade us from reading it.”
教授們告訴我們他在胡說八道,并努力勸我們不要讀他的作品。”
“Don't you see what's going on?” said Mary with a smile.
“你難道不明白是怎么回事嗎?”瑪麗笑著說,
“Your professors are trying to keep you from learning new ideas!
“你們的教授在盡力阻止你們接受新思想。
They only call it rubbish to dissemble their real motives.
他們把它說得分文不值就是為了掩蓋自己的真正動機。
When all the smoke dissipates, you'll see the truth.”
當所有的煙霧散去時,你會看到廬山真面目的。”
“Really?” replied John.
“真得嗎?”約翰回答,
“I can't imagine professor Smith trying to dissimulate her true thoughts, she's usually pretty candid.
“我真想不出史密斯教授在努力隱藏自己真實的思想。通常她是很坦誠的。
So is professor Doe.”
多伊教授也一樣。”
“Are you from some distant planet?” asked Mary with a laugh.
“你是從某個遙遠的星球來的吧?”瑪麗大笑著問,
“Professor Smith dissects plants all day in botany class.
“史密斯教授整天在植物學課上解剖植物,
Professor Doe spends most of his time dissolving chemicals in chemistry class.
多伊教授的大部分時間則花在課上的溶解化學制品。
What could these two professors possibly know about political science?”
關于政治科學這兩名教授又能知道些什么呢?”