妙語佳句:
原句:There is no way he can afford a dating service like this.
there is no way:沒有可能
There is no way to escape doing the work .
沒法避免干這工作。
afford:花費得起,提供,給予
afford指“給予”時,可接雙賓語。
It affords me great satisfaction to be able to help him.
能幫助他給了我很大的滿足感。
can afford to ...指“負擔得起”,“做得到”,“忍得住”。
He can afford to keep a motorcar.
他負擔得起備有一輛汽車。
She can hardly afford to wait for another hour.
她幾乎做不到再多等一小時了。
I did not think I could afford to lose my post.
我想我不能忍受得了失去這個職位。
原句:I cannot believe I fell for it.
fall for:對...傾倒 ,信以為真
Did she fall for the suggestion?
她喜歡這個提議嗎?
They met, fell for each other and got married six weeks later.
他們倆一見傾心,六個星期后就結了婚。
原句:We'll file for fraud, intent to deceive, false advertising.
file for:申請,起訴
She decided to file for divorce.
她決意起訴要求離婚。
考考你:
他不可能負擔起這種中介的費用。
人不應該付兩萬五千美金和失業的演員約會。
上期答案:
I'd like to introduce you to Martin Donnelly.
You know, in case you ever want to go to dinner