Next the young lady spoke. She said that she had met the prisoner on the boat which had carried her and her father from France to England.
接下來是那個年輕子發言。她說在她和父親從法國來英國的船上曾遇到過這個犯人。
'He was very good and kind to my father and to me, 'she said.
“他對我父親和我都很友善?!彼f。
'Was he travelling alone on the ship?'
“他當時是只身一人乘船旅行的嗎?”
'No, he was with two French gentlemen.'
“不,他和兩個法國人在一起?!?/div>
'Now, Miss Manette, did you see him show them any papers, or anything that looked like a list?'
“那么,馬內特小姐,你看到他給他們看了什么文件或任何類似表格一樣的東西嗎?”
'No, I didn't see anything like that.'
“沒有,我沒有看見過任何這類的東西。”
Questions, questions, questions!The trial went on, and finally, a small, red-haired man spoke.
問題一個接著一個地提出來!審判繼續進行著。最后,一位矮小,紅頭發的男人說話了。
He told the judge that he had seen Mr Darnay at a hotel in a town where there were many soldiers and ships.
他告訴法官說他曾在一個小鎮的一家旅館見到過代爾那先生,那兒有很多的士兵和船只。
Then one of the lawyers, a man called Sydney Carton, wrote some words on a piece of paper, and gave it to Mr Stryver, the lawyer who was speaking for Mr Darnay.
接下來一位名叫西得尼·卡登的律師在一張紙上寫了幾個字并把它遞給代爾那先生的辯護律師史太弗先生。
'Are you quite sure that the prisoner is the man you saw?' Mr Stryver asked the red-haired man.
“你能肯定這個犯人就是你見過的那個人嗎?”史太弗先生問那個紅頭發男人。
'Quite sure, ' said the man.
“非??隙??!彼f。
Have you ever seen anyone like the prisoner?' asked Mr Stryver.
“你曾見過和這個罪犯長得相像的人嗎?”史太弗先生問。
'I'd always be able to recognize him.' The red-haired man was very confident.
“無論如何我都能把他認出來的?!奔t頭發男人非常自信。
'Then I must ask you to look at the gentleman over there, ' said Mr Stryver, pointing to Sydney Carton.
“那么我得請您看看那邊的那位先生,”史太弗先生指著西得尼·卡登說。
'Don't you think that he is very like the prisoner?'
“您不認為他長得非常像這位犯人嗎?”
Everyone in the court could see that Sydney Carton and Charles Darnay were indeed very similar.
法庭上的每一個人都能看出西得尼·卡登和查爾斯·代爾那長得的確很相像。
'Well then, ' said Mr Stryver, 'it is so easy to find a man like the prisoner that we can even find one in this room.
“那么說,”史太弗先生說道?!昂苋菀拙湍苷业揭粋€與罪犯相像的人乃至在這間屋子里我們就能找出一個和罪犯長得酷似的人,
So how can you be so sure that it was the prisoner you saw in that hotel?'
那你又怎么能確信你在旅館里看到的就是罪犯呢?”
And the red-haired man said not another word.
紅頭發男人再也說不出話來了。
The lawyers talked and argued, and when at last the trial came to an end, Jerry Cruncher had fallen asleep.
律師們開始爭辯討論。當審判最后結束時,杰里·克拉徹都已睡著了。