Harry couldn’t believe it — he was free.
哈利不敢相信——他自由了。
He rolled down the window, the night air whipping his hair, and looked back at the shrinking rooftops of Privet Drive.
他搖下車窗,晚風拍打著他的頭發,女貞路的屋頂在下面漸漸縮小,
Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley were all hanging, dumbstruck, out of Harry’s window.
弗農姨父、佩妮姨媽和達力還在窗口呆呆地探身望著。
“See you next summer!” Harry yelled.
“明年夏天見!”哈利喊道。
The Weasleys roared with laughter and Harry settled back in his seat, grinning from ear to ear.
韋斯萊兄弟哈哈大笑,哈利靠在椅背上,樂得合不攏嘴。
“Let Hedwig out,” he told Ron.
“把海德薇放出來吧,”他對羅恩說,
“She can fly behind us.
“它可以跟在我們后面飛。
She hasn’t had a chance to stretch her wings for ages.”
它好久沒舒展翅膀了。”
George handed the hairpin to Ron and, a moment later, Hedwig soared joyfully out of the window to glide alongside them like a ghost.
喬治把發夾遞給羅恩,一會兒,海德薇快樂地飛出了車窗,像幽靈一樣在他們旁邊滑翔。
“So — what’s the story, Harry?” said Ron impatiently. “What’s been happening?”
“可以告訴我們了吧,哈利?”羅恩迫不及待地問道,“到底發生了什么事情?”
Harry told them all about Dobby, the warning he’d given Harry and the fiasco of the violet pudding.
哈利原原本本地向他們講了多比、它給哈利的警告、被摔得一塌糊涂的堇菜布丁。
There was a long, shocked silence when he had finished.
他講完后,車里好長時間一片沉默。
“Very fishy,” said Fred finally.
“很可疑。”弗雷德終于說。
“Definitely dodgy,” agreed George.
“顯然非常蹊蹺,”喬治附和道,
“So he wouldn’t even tell you who’s supposed to be plotting all this stuff?”
“他甚至不肯告訴你是誰在策劃這些?”
“I don’t think he could,” said Harry.
“我想他是不能說。”哈利說,
“I told you, every time he got close to letting something slip, he started banging his head against the wall.”
“我剛才說了,每次他快要吐露出什么時,就拿腦袋撞墻。”
He saw Fred and George look at each other.
他看到弗雷德和喬治對視了一下。
“What, you think he was lying to me?” said Harry.
“怎么,你們認為他是在騙我?”哈利說。
“Well,” said Fred, “put it this way — house-elves have got powerful magic of their own, but they can’t usually use it without their master’s permission.
“嗯,”弗雷德說,“這樣說吧——家養小精靈的魔法也很了不得,但沒有主人允許,他們一般不能使用魔法。
I reckon old Dobby was sent to stop you coming back to Hogwarts.
我想多比是被人派來阻止你回霍格沃茨的,
Someone’s idea of a joke.
有人想捉弄你。
Can you think of anyone at school with a grudge against you?”
你在學校有什么仇人嗎?”
“Yes,” said Harry and Ron together, instantly.
“有。”哈利和羅恩馬上同聲說。
“Draco Malfoy,” Harry explained. “He hates me.”
“德拉科馬爾福,”哈利解釋說,“他恨我。”
“Draco Malfoy?” said George, turning around.
“德拉科馬爾福?”喬治轉過身說,
“Not Lucius Malfoy’s son?”
“是不是盧修斯馬爾福的兒子?”
“Must be, it’s not a very common name, is it?” said Harry. “Why?”
“大概是,這個姓不常見,對吧?”哈利說,“怎么啦?”
“I’ve heard Dad talking about him,” said George.
“我聽爸爸說起過他,”喬治說,
“He was a big supporter of You-Know-Who.”
“盧修斯馬爾福是神秘人的死黨。”
“And when You-Know-Who disappeared,” said Fred, craning around to look at Harry,
“神秘人消失后,”弗雷德扭頭看著哈利說,
“Lucius Malfoy came back saying he’d never meant any of it. Load of dung —
“盧修斯馬爾福回來說那事兒與他無關,這是鬼話——
Dad reckons he was right in You-Know-Who’s inner circle.”
爸爸猜他是神秘人的心腹。”
Harry had heard these rumors about Malfoy’s family before, and they didn’t surprise him at all.
哈利聽到過關于馬爾福家的這些傳言,所以他一點兒也不覺得驚奇。
Malfoy made Dudley Dursley look like a kind, thoughtful, and sensitive boy.
和馬爾福比起來,達力簡直是個忠厚懂事的男孩。
“I don’t know whether the Malfoys own a house-elf. . . .” said Harry.
“我不知道馬爾福家有沒有小精靈……”哈利說。
“Well, whoever owns him will be an old wizarding family, and they’ll be rich,” said Fred.
“有小精靈的人家肯定是個古老的巫師家族,而且很富有。”弗雷德說。
“Yeah, Mum’s always wishing we had a house-elf to do the ironing,” said George.
“對,媽媽一直希望能有一個小精靈幫我們熨衣服,”喬治說,
“But all we’ve got is a lousy old ghoul in the attic and gnomes all over the garden.
“可是我們只有閣樓上那個討厭的食尸鬼和滿花園的地精。House-elves come with big old manors and castles and places like that;
小精靈是那種古老的大莊園和城堡里才有的,
you wouldn’t catch one in our house. . . .”
在我們家可找不到……”
Harry was silent. Judging by the fact that Draco Malfoy usually had the best of everything,
哈利沉默了。德拉科馬爾福用的東西總是最高級的,
his family was rolling in wizard gold; he could just see Malfoy strutting around a large manor house.
他家有的是魔幣。他能想象出馬爾福在一所大莊園住宅里趾高氣揚地走來走去,
Sending the family servant to stop Harry from going back to Hogwarts also sounded exactly like the sort of thing Malfoy would do.
派傭人去阻止哈利回霍格沃茨也很像是馬爾福干的事情。
Had Harry been stupid to take Dobby seriously?
哈利把多比的話當真,是不是太傻了?
“I’m glad we came to get you, anyway,” said Ron.
“不管怎么說,我很高興我們來接你。”羅恩說,
“I was getting really worried when you didn’t answer any of my letters.
“你一封信都不回,我真著急了。
I thought it was Errol’s fault at first —”
一開始我以為是埃羅爾出了問題——”
“Who’s Errol?”
“埃羅爾是誰?”
“Our owl. He’s ancient.
“我們的貓頭鷹。它上了年紀了,
It wouldn’t be the first time he’d collapsed on a delivery.
以前送信時就累垮過。
So then I tried to borrow Hermes —”
所以我想借赫梅斯——”
“Who?” “The owl Mum and Dad bought Percy when he was made prefect,” said Fred from the front.
“誰?” “珀西當上了級長后,爸爸媽媽給他買的那只貓頭鷹。”坐在前面的弗雷德說。
“But Percy wouldn’t lend him to me,” said Ron. “Said he needed him.”
“可珀西不肯借給我,”羅恩說,“說他自己要用。”
“Percy’s been acting very oddly this summer,” said George, frowning.
“珀西今年暑假非常古怪,”喬治皺著眉頭說,
“And he has been sending a lot of letters and spending a load of time shut up in his room. . . .
“他發了好多信,還老一個人關在屋里……
I mean, there’s only so many times you can polish a prefect badge. . . .
我不明白,級長的徽章要擦那么多遍嗎……
You’re driving too far west, Fred,” he added, pointing at a compass on the dashboard.
你向西開得太遠了,弗雷德。”他指著儀表盤上的一個指南針說。
Fred twiddled the steering wheel.
弗雷德把方向盤轉了轉。